India- Tiger Poachers To Be Shot On Sight

News_Editor

2.-AP-tiger.jpg

A state in western India allows forest guards to shoot tiger hunters on sight. (Photo: Reuters)

NEW DELHI—A state in western India has declared war on animal poaching by allowing forest guards to shoot hunters on sight in an effort to curb rampant attacks on tigers and other wildlife.

The government in Maharashtra says injuring or killing suspected poachers will no longer be considered a crime.

Forest guards should not be “booked for human rights violations when they have taken action against poachers,†Maharashtra Forest Minister Patangrao Kadam said on Tuesday. The state also will send more rangers and jeeps into the forest, and will offer secret payments to informers who give tips about poachers and animal smugglers, he said.

No tiger poachers have ever been shot in Maharashtra, though cases of illegal loggers and fishermen being shot have led to charges against forest guards, according to the state’s chief wildlife warden, S.W.H. Naqvi.

But the threat could act as a significant deterrent to wildlife criminals, conservationists said. A similar measure allowing guards to fire on poachers in Assam has helped the northeast state’s population of endangered one-horned rhinos recover.

“These poachers have lost all fear. They just go in and poach what they want because they know the risks are low,†said Divyabhanusinh Chavda, who heads the World Wildlife Fund in India and is a key member of the National Wildlife Board, which advises the prime minister. In many of India’s reserves, guards are armed with little more than sticks.

India faces intense international scrutiny over its tiger conservation, as it holds half of the world’s estimated 3,200 tigers in dozens of wildlife reserves set up since the 1970s, when hunting was banned.

Illegal poaching remains a stubborn and serious threat, with tiger parts in particular fetching high prices on the black market because of demand driven by traditional Chinese medicine practitioners.

According to the Wildlife Protection Society of India, 14 tigers have been killed by poachers in India so far this year—one more than in all of 2011. The tiger is considered endangered, with its habitat shrinking more than 50 percent in the last quarter-century while its numbers declined from an estimated 5,000-7,000 in the 1990s, according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature.

Eight of this year’s tiger poaching deaths in India occurred in Maharashtra, including one whose body was found last week chopped into pieces with its head and paws missing in Tadoba Tiger Reserve. Forest officials have also found traps in the reserve, where about 40 tigers live.

Naqvi said encounters between Maharashtra’s forest guards and poachers were rare because poachers generally hunt the nocturnal big cats at night. He said the state’s offer to pay informers from a new fund worth about 5 million rupees (US $90,000) would likely be more effective. “We get very few tips, so this will really help,†he said.

But conservationists said the fact that poachers are rarely seen has more to do with low ranger numbers, and that increasing patrols around the clock would help.

Dozens of other animals are also targeted by hunters across India, including one-horned rhinos and male elephants prized for their tusks, and other big cats like leopards hunted or poisoned by villagers afraid of attacks on their homes or livestock.

A recent study on hunting in India noted 114 species of mammals were being actively hunted across the country, with dozens of birds and reptiles also under attack.

“There has been an onslaught going on in India,†said William Laurance, a conservation biologist at James Cook University in Australia and one of the three authors of the study, which was published in Biological Conservation journal in April. “It’s a serious threat to wildlife, along with habitat encroachment and forest degradation. A lot of species are clinging to survival in remote areas.â€

It’s unclear whether Maharashtra’s example in targeting poachers will be followed by other states, though tiger poaching has also been a major problem in Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh in recent years. The hunting of male elephants for their tusks has skewed the sex ratio, and there are now about 100 female elephants for every male in the south.

According to the April study, some of the most rampant hunting is occurring in the eastern Himalayas, where high numbers of army troops are deployed and some hunt for sport, and in the northeast near the porous border with China and Myanmar, where hunting is a way of life and sometimes an economic necessity for tribal communities.

“The remarkable thing in India is that there is still anything alive at all with 1.2 billion people,†Laurance said. “As populations grow, an increase in hunting pressure is a classic thing that happens.â€

View the full article

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This makes hunting humans legal. There's a market out there for that. I wonder if you can take trophies? Or if there are any taxidermists who would stuff a poacher for you? I wouldn't worry about legally identifying the human as a poacher or not. People will eventually figure out which specific areas to stay clear of.

What does a tiger poacher look like? I hope they have the courtesy to wear a special hat or something so the locals don't get shot by mistake.

Hey, it'll be a free-fire zone. Locals aren't idiots. They'll learn to stay away.

Maybe they should allow some tiger hunting. Just send the mighty hunter out there with a knife or maybe a spear and see what happens.

A mildly racist post has been removed. Opinions may be strong, but advocating the value of the life of a particular nationality is a little to strong and off-topic.

Wonderful news from India at last.

Many years ago I had the pleasure of seeing one of these magnificent beasts up close in Ranthanbore National Park in Maharashtra, it was an experience that I shall never forget.

I only hope that the Indian action is followed by Africa, where wildlife poaching is rampant. As for the poachers, I have no sympathy for them whatsoever, let's reinvent that old Wild West slogan, "The only good poacher is a dead one!"

I agree, it would be good to see this sort of law enacted in parts of Africa. It's too late for the Middle East and China, where all their large beasts are gonzoed, except a few pandas in China.

It's somewhat valid to question, "how does a park guard know for sure if someone they're about to shoot is a poacher."

There are signs: poachers usually have camps with dead animals/animal parts around, and/or carry rifles. Those are probably the two most indicative signs. Also, poachers would not react well with demands to be searched by authorities. I'm sure it's very often happened, where park authorites have a bead on poachers, but were compelled to let them go, because of a lack of a law like this new one.

This will put prices up in China, as China probably buys over 90% of endangered animals parts. Particularly old Chinese men, who believe the myth that ingesting exotic animal parts will give them a hard on.

So it's OK to shoot people without a trial for killing an animal?

Edit. I should have said big cat.

So it's OK to shoot people without a trial for killing a big cat?

Edited by kerryk
  • Like 1

Having not read entire article which is simply way too long, it would seem that it's okay to shot people if they are thinking about killing a big cat. Some messed up s****.

Edited by Scott

Having not read entire article which is simply way too long, it would seem that it's okay to shot people if they are thinking about killing a big cat. Some messed up s***.

The really messed up s*** is the number of posters who agree with them!

Edited by Scott
profanity

Having not read entire article which is simply way too long, it would seem that it's okay to shot people if they are thinking about killing a big cat. Some messed up s***.

The really messed up s*** is the number of posters who agree with them!

For sure. Regardless of one's convictions, one or a culture simply should not place a higher value on a wild animal than on any human life. Then again, we have cultures that believe burning someone to death for stealing potatoes is acceptable even though that person it their family is starving. Little wonder why countries adhering to such philosophies are disasters culturally, economically, morally, and in every other conceivable manner.

Edited by Scott
profanity
  • Like 1

I am not happy about hearing this, but then again we seem to have WAY too many people and WAY too few tigers left.

The only good poacher is a dead one!

I think this is great

And after that the bodies should be fed to them.

Indeed a splendid idea and leave their carcasses where they may drop so as they become part of the food chain as a reward for the illegally hunted creatures in general.

Perhaps stringing up the dead poachers bodies might also hammer home the message.

The above quote are from “civilized” people. You gotta wonder if the people here are from some weird Australian si fi movie with Tina Turner.

A tiger is a cat. Bigger than the ones in your house but still just a cat. I bet there are posters out there who would justify killing people without due process for killing cats too. And a cat is an animal like a rat is an animal. There is a difference between animals and people including whales and dolphins.

Hopefully, the King of Spain will take note as he was off on an elephant shooting expedition in Africa.

Perhaps stringing up the dead poachers bodies might also hammer home the message.

yes, it would get the worlds attention if the King of Spain was shot for poaching. Killing an elephant as a monarch is about as medieval as it gets. Should he not be setting some sort of example? What a goon.

This is a beautiful post. Shooting poachers on site is one of the most clever ways to reduce poaching, I have ever heard. Why would they need to be arrested, and tried, when more than likely their gang leader would just buy the judge off. This is a brilliant way to getting right to the heart of the problem. I think I would volunteer for this project myself. Hunting endangered species is one of the most heinous acts a human being can commit. When you aim a rifle at an animal as majestic as these tigers, perhaps you have revoked your right to breathe oxygen? Food for thought?

• Like 1

I am not happy about hearing this, but then again we seem to have WAY too many people and WAY too few tigers left.

I think this is great

Indeed a splendid idea and leave their carcasses where they may drop so as they become part of the food chain as a reward for the illegally hunted creatures in general.

The above quote are from “civilized” people. You gotta wonder if the people here are from some weird Australian si fi movie with Tina Turner.

A tiger is a cat. Bigger than the ones in your house but still just a cat. I bet there are posters out there who would justify killing people without due process for killing cats too. And a cat is an animal like a rat is an animal. There is a difference between animals and people including whales and dolphins.

People get shot for stealing valuable items, Why can't we decide that killing a valuable member of the cat species carries the ultimate penalty. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. You don't poach by accident.

• Like 2

Tigers are like any other animal. The deer herd in the US is much larger now than it was 200 years ago and wonderful example of animal conservation and economic viability. Tigers can be managed in game preserves and hunted like any other big game animal. I am all for conservation of endangered species and many times the way to insure viability of a species is to hunt it in a controlled environment. The question is always management of wildlife and how to fund that. Hunting licenses fund wildlife conservation. Deer hunting in the US is a great example of this.

Hopefully, the King of Spain will take note as he was off on an elephant shooting expedition in Africa.

Not only that, he is also a prominent figure within WWF. Nice policies these conservation groups have. The poor poacher can be hunted and the rich poachers get a seat as director.

Many years ago I had the pleasure of seeing one of these magnificent beasts up close in Ranthanbore National Park in Maharashtra, it was an experience that I shall never forget.

Ranthambore is not in Maharashtra province, it's in Rajasthan. But agree 100% with you about the unforgettable experience there. :)

Exactly. Give the famously corrupt Indian law enforcement officials a way to shoot people without having to fit them up first; what could possibly go wrong?

I often wonder at people who escaped all the 'rules and regulations and health and safety and all that' at home who then volubly applaud preposterously authoritarian moves by governments in other countries...

I think this is great

People get shot for stealing valuable items, Why can't we decide that killing a valuable member of the cat species carries the ultimate penalty. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. You don't poach by accident.

In civilized cultures, shooting someone for stealing constitute 2nd or perhaps even first degree murder if there was adequate time for reflection and premeditation. Only in whack countries with whack values and whack cultures is this considered alright. Then again, I get extremely annoyed when green peace place peoples' life in danger to save whales or sharks. I also always get a laugh when people oppose culling Great Whites or looking for a man eater when several attacks occur back to back in the same area such as Perth/Rotterdam recently. They say we are in there world so we surfers deserve to get bit. Haha, I see the ocean as a part of my world too since I have been considered a pro or sponsored surfer for 25 years. Tigers can kill us quickly, but we can't kill them.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is great

The above quote are from "civilized" people. You gotta wonder if the people here are from some weird Australian si fi movie with Tina Turner.

In civilized cultures, shooting someone for stealing constitute 2nd or perhaps even first degree murder if there was adequate time for reflection and premeditation. Only in whack countries with whack values and whack cultures is this considered alright. Then again, I get extremely annoyed when green peace place peoples' life in danger to save whales or sharks. I also always get a laugh when people oppose culling Great Whites or looking for a man eater when several attacks occur back to back in the same area such as Perth/Rotterdam recently. They say we are in there world so we surfers deserve to get bit. Haha, I see the ocean as a part of my world too since I have been considered a pro or sponsored surfer for 25 years. Tigers can kill us quickly, but we can't kill them.

No, only in sensible countries interested in saving a lot of money on useless trials, is tiger poaching assassination permitted. Sounds like a wonderful idea to me.

It looks like there's a marked division of opinions on this topic.

I fall squarely on the side of shoot on sight. The type of poachers who shoot and dismember tigers, are a particularly contemptible lot. They know completely what they're doing, and it's barbarous. I put it on a level with gang rape of children or murder of a person, or Somali pirates who kill hostages. Plus, I don't think our species is superior to tigers. It's particularly galling when the tigers are severely endangered.

Give me a rifle, and put me on patrol in Africa or India, and I'll take the first shot.

• Like 2

I think it is Walt Disney's fault. It all started with Mickey Mouse. This putting human characteristics into animals in the mass media.

It is called anthropomorphism, or zoo morphism. It is very common among 12 year old girls. Except of course if they grew up on a farm.

Rarely do farmers name steers or pigs bound for the slaughter house.

Pigs are smarter than tigers BTW. Pigs are also smarter than dogs or dolphins and elephants.

Did you ever try to reason with a 12 year old girl? Did you ever run over a cat? Or better yet; have a cat have her litter of kittens under the hood of your truck. And then you started the truck not knowing the darn cat was in there?

Pigs are obviously nicer than tigers because pigs suckle tiger cubs not the reverse. I mean have you ever seen piglets with a tiger nursing momma?

Pigs don't sneak up on people and eat them. Tigers do.