Pla Jalomet

Could not find anything with the search function and this spelling. We have an irrigation dam which is about 8 metres deep, vertical sides. We put pla nin, jalomet and tub tim in about 1400 fingerlings in total. This was in September last year. Purely as a hobby, maybe sell some to defray food costs. Feed them with pellets from the 20kg bag at about 280-300b.

Long story short, the jalomet were in greater numbers and grew to a sellable size, as did the tub tim. The pla nin were an edible size but not really big enough to sell. Family members using fishing poles caught quite a few for us and we were able to sell it all. However as one might expect they took all the pla nin of an edible size as well as many jalomet only a few tub tim. Now almost nothing will take the bait. We got a net and couldn't catch the jalomet either, water is too deep for the net. They seem to like the deep water, when they feed they zoom up from the deep, grab a pellett, then duck straight back down. Otherwise you never see them but the other two kinds are always close to the surface.

My problem is I want to get rid of the jalomet, we got too many of them and they are very voracious feeders meaning the second generation of the other two is coming on very slowly. And the locals will buy them for 40b but they dont really like them. Draining the dam is not an option and no I haven't got any dynamite. Should I just withhold food and then try an intensive fishing effort?

Spread the word to the locals that they can have all the fish they can catch,Im sure they will thin them out dramatically.

When I dont want to pump our deep pond the Thais use a raft and cast nets with a tag rope attached to the eye ,gill nets with half the floatation removed will get down to them also.

Fish thieves use electroshocks powered by a car battery, generally emptying the entire stock. Ask your friendly local drunk, he'll help

Well there are quite a few drunks to choose from, but as that would probably kill all the fish I might give it a miss. although I did think about it and may resort to it in the end

Spread the word to the locals that they can have all the fish they can catch,Im sure they will thin them out dramatically.

When I dont want to pump our deep pond the Thais use a raft and cast nets with a tag rope attached to the eye ,gill nets with half the floatation removed will get down to them also.

, Will try something like that second suggestion. I dont rally want to invite the locals around it might encourage them to subsequent uninvited forays

Depending on how large your pond actually is, it sounds like poisoning everything and starting afresh with mono-culture fry is called for.

Organic poisons are short life and kill by depleting the oxygen in the pond , large fish will be driven to the surface where you can hand net them.

I have problems hiring locals to do mundane jobs like digging a trench, but they turn up in droves to test their skills against each other in the fish catching stakes and their only reward is a feed of fish and a couple of bottles of Lao Khao at the finish.

These are the same locals who buy our fish year round, the night stalkers (we know most of them) never turn up to these events.

Thais, these days only put mixed sex Pla Nin in ponds that they know will be pumped dry during the dry season.

Chemical sex changing is rarely 100% effective ,so my advice (for what its worth ) is to always stock permanent lakes/ponds with mono culture fry (from reputable source) add a few Barramundi fry at the same time and for diversity a few Giant Mekong catfish fry (Pangasionodon Giga).

Depending on how large your pond actually is, it sounds like poisoning everything and starting afresh with mono-culture fry is called for.

Organic poisons are short life and kill by depleting the oxygen in the pond , large fish will be driven to the surface where you can hand net them.

I have problems hiring locals to do mundane jobs like digging a trench, but they turn up in droves to test their skills against each other in the fish catching stakes and their only reward is a feed of fish and a couple of bottles of Lao Khao at the finish.

These are the same locals who buy our fish year round, the night stalkers (we know most of them) never turn up to these events.

Thais, these days only put mixed sex Pla Nin in ponds that they know will be pumped dry during the dry season.

Chemical sex changing is rarely 100% effective ,so my advice (for what its worth ) is to always stock permanent lakes/ponds with mono culture fry (from reputable source) add a few Barramundi fry at the same time and for diversity a few Giant Mekong catfish fry (Pangasionodon Giga).

The shrimp farmers use Tea Seed Cake to kill fish prior to stocking shrimp. It decomposes after a while, so fairly eco-friendly...

Well, I withheld pellets for a few days and got BiL4 to fish using pork. Over a few days he and a couple of others caught quite a few jalomet, some of these were 600 grams. This has thinned the population and I got a few baht from it. Last couple of days I cut cratin and fed that. Last night I threw some small pelllets in for the little fellers and the jalomet left them to it only surfacing in small numbers. It seemed to me that taking the jalomet has a bit of a knack to it as well which the SiL who were also fishing did not have. Looking forward to some R&R fishing myself, but no fish farming!