Turned Down For A Thai Visa In Vientiane

I just returned from Vientiane visa-less.

I offered bank books / copies / lease info, etc. A ticket was not requested.

I have made visa runs to Singapore, Penang, Vientiane, Savanakhet, Phnom Penh, etc. for the past nine years and received single and double entry stamps. This is the first time I have ever been refused.

I was told, "too many stamps", but did not lose the visa fee.

So, it was back to Nongkhai for a 15 day entry.

My regular hotel in Phnom Penh just told me "No problem for us getting our patrons visas here."

So, back to PP.

PP will be single and probably take 4 days.

Living in Thailand on tourist visas is getting increasingly difficult, if you want to stay longtime in Thailand you might want to look at other options, such as an ED-visa.

ok just get a new passport,easy and you can start over.

Is that correct/ Wouldn't immigration computers track your visits/visas by name in passport?

many sure, it,s all in the chip, s

coffee1.gif

Is that correct/ Wouldn't immigration computers track your visits/visas by name in passport?

The Consulates and Embassies of Thailand do not, as I am lead to believe, have direct contact with Immigration, and also there is no database available for the Embassies to check how many visas or passports you have, they can only do it by physically looking at a passport

• Like 1

No they dont do that:i did it recently because my passport was almost full and could start over.

When I came to Thailand my first year, I went to PP to get a tourist visa and the embassy guy had a printout of every entry and exit to and from the country. I always wonder why people think getting a new passport somehow wipes their history clean. That experience was way back in 2004 when PP was cracking down but those days are over

• Like 2

Getting an ed-Visa now.

In the past, only a few years ago, The Thai consulate in Savanakhet would request bank book copies, and that is why I took them.

My most recent passport was obtained here, so Immigration computer records do connect all nine year of my staying here, on both passports.

1 unhelpful post deleted, as ws a reply to it.

No need to discuss pople staying continously on toruist visas, we had quit a few of those threads already, so let's stay on topic.

But aren't most of these "helpful" posts suggesting ways of circumventing or subverting the authority of Thai Immigrations?

>>> My regular hotel in Phnom Penh just told me "No problem for us getting our patrons visas here."

Did they mean that they could get you a Thai visa or did they mean that there's no problem getting a visa for Cambodia?

In general, when Thai embassies tighten up like this there has been a circular to all telling them to do such and such a thing, then one by one they ease off.

I moved to Thailand in the mid eighties and there have been hiccups like this a few times in the past, especially '<deleted> of, you ain't a tourist'.

Maybe this is why so many expats are moving house and home to Cambodia where there are no visa runs (and you can work).

Kenny

• Like 2

1 unhelpful post deleted, as ws a reply to it.

No need to discuss pople staying continously on toruist visas, we had quit a few of those threads already, so let's stay on topic.

But aren't most of these "helpful" posts suggesting ways of circumventing or subverting the authority of Thai Immigrations?

Perhaps yes, but not illegally.

• Like 1

It's amazing that the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs operates such an inconsistent system of issuing visas that you can obtain different terms and conditions by applying at a different Thai embassy or consulate. The people on the ground have different interpretations of the various laws, regulations and memos or are just bored and want to try different things for variation.

I wonder when the function will be taken away from the MFA and Immigration will take it over themselves like the UK Border Agency has effectively taken the function away from the British Foreign Office along with the function of issuing passports. Probably take a long time because no government department wants to surrender power and perks to another one and the MFA people regard themselves as hi-so and wouldn't want crude buffaloes from the Immigration police taking away their plum jobs overseas. So visa shopping by people who are overtly in Thailand for purposes other than those claimed in their visa applications will continue indefinitely until it comes to an abrupt halt some day without warning. biggrin.png

Edited by Arkady

Yes they do and will. A new passport does not erase your immigration history.

Even with the best intentions some advice like this can be harmful.

• Like 1

Hi all - not trying to duplicate material already existing somewhere else on TV, but as this is a live thread, and regarding a few questions asked : is it the case that the maximum number of tourist visas now allowed is, either 3 x 30 days, or 3 x 60 days, or 3 x 120 days ? Assuming of course that it is basically 3 tourist visas that has been making immigration all touchy for about - 6 months now ?

Hi all - not trying to duplicate material already existing somewhere else on TV, but as this is a live thread, and regarding a few questions asked : is it the case that the maximum number of tourist visas now allowed is, either 3 x 30 days, or 3 x 60 days, or 3 x 120 days ? Assuming of course that it is basically 3 tourist visas that has been making immigration all touchy for about - 6 months now ?

There is no official limit

• Like 1

They don't track anything YET, and people saying the contrary just don't know what they are talking about.

They could do it but they don't, so just make a new passport and get new visas.

Why so many people have to reply when they don't know ?

Edited by freegiftsideas

They don't track anything YET, and people saying the contrary just don't know what they are talking about.

They could do it but they don't, so just make a new passport and get new visas.

Why so many people have to reply when they don't know ?

What makes you the 'expert'?

• Like 1

Safe to assume they all check the computer for your history and whether you're on a blacklist. Suggesting that they don't look you up in the computer is wishful thinking. I'm not saying they care about how many tourist visas you have. Save yourself the unnecessary expense of getting new passports based on this advice. The time I was in PP they were having a crackdown on defacto tourism. The immi gentleman pulled me aside and showed me his printout of my brief 15 month history. He advised me to go get a long term visa at another embassy or consulate next time. He gave me a single entry tourist visa after the show and tell. I then went to other consulates to continue my defacto tourism for 5 years until I finally got a 1 year visa 3.5 years ago. I was never refused during those 5 years but there were scares and consulate shuffling and unhelpful holier than thou posters here on thaivisa. I know what the tourist visa people are going through and will try and help anyway I can. I'm just sayin' don't bother with that new passport crap, it's not the answer and how would these numbskulls know they only look by eye. My experience is they check you by computer. Save your 100 bucks or whatever a passport costs.

Edited by Nana Cowboy

Had my Business Visa refused the second time in Vientiane. First time as I didn't have my Por Por 50 (which I never needed before) but I got a doubble entry Tourist Visa. Now just got back from Vientiane (yes, I had my Por Por 50) and had my Non B refused again. This time they wanted a letter from the labour office. Something I didn't need before either. As for the Tourist Visa, I this time I only got 60 days. I was told I had too many Thai stamps (73 entry/exit stamps, 3 for overstay and 11 Visa stamps) in my Passport all ready. Well, what does the Thai Embassy expect if we have to make a visa run every 90 (or 60) days. The advice of the Embassy was, go back to Euroe, apply for a new passport (I still have 12 pages and 4 years left on my passport) and get your business visa in Europe.

I've been in Thailand since 1978 (on and off) and since 1999, I have my own company and investments in a couple of local Thai businesses. I thought, Yingluck said not that long ago, our investments are safe in Thailand. If people with business here in Thailand start having problems applying for their visas, how safe are our investments?

• Like 1

>>> My regular hotel in Phnom Penh just told me "No problem for us getting our patrons visas here."

Did they mean that they could get you a Thai visa or did they mean that there's no problem getting a visa for Cambodia?

In general, when Thai embassies tighten up like this there has been a circular to all telling them to do such and such a thing, then one by one they ease off.

I moved to Thailand in the mid eighties and there have been hiccups like this a few times in the past, especially '<deleted> of, you ain't a tourist'.

Maybe this is why so many expats are moving house and home to Cambodia where there are no visa runs (and you can work).

Kenny

Please clarify why an expat with house and home in Thailand would have to do a visa run? There are annual visas available for everyone, aren't there?

BTW, when and where in Cambodia did you move your house and home?

Had my Business Visa refused the second time in Vientiane. First time as I didn't have my Por Por 50 (which I never needed before) but I got a doubble entry Tourist Visa. Now just got back from Vientiane (yes, I had my Por Por 50) and had my Non B refused again. This time they wanted a letter from the labour office. Something I didn't need before either. As for the Tourist Visa, I this time I only got 60 days. I was told I had too many Thai stamps (73 entry/exit stamps, 3 for overstay and 11 Visa stamps) in my Passport all ready. Well, what does the Thai Embassy expect if we have to make a visa run every 90 (or 60) days. The advice of the Embassy was, go back to Euroe, apply for a new passport (I still have 12 pages and 4 years left on my passport) and get your business visa in Europe.

I've been in Thailand since 1978 (on and off) and since 1999, I have my own company and investments in a couple of local Thai businesses. I thought, Yingluck said not that long ago, our investments are safe in Thailand. If people with business here in Thailand start having problems applying for their visas, how safe are our investments?

Your investment is safe its you that has the problem. Not ragging on you but those embassy guys can be a pain. I have a friend here and just to be safe he does go back to the states to get his B-visa no problem there. Hope it sorts out for you.

• Like 1