Necron'S Big Adventure

necronx99

Very interesting.

That is remarkably cheap to get your gear to Thailand. Was that an entire 20ft container or just part of?

That was self packing and a full 20 ft container which the shipping company loaded. Pays to ring around, I was quoted anything from 2500 to 4000 for the container. Cousin works in the port as a freight manager or something so may have got us off lightly with customs as we had a lot of new stuff and many double ups like tv's and computers.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did she have you wrap up your head in that red cloth? Can't be a good sign. . .

8-)

Nice "bungalow to camp in"!

If you don't mind I'll put in my 2 worth of unsolicited advice: camp there for a good six months to a year before committing to building any more, you may find you'd rather set up house at least 500km away from the inlaws, even if they're all nice as can be, much better to establish your own independent family unit rather than becoming an appendage to hers. . .

It was always the plan to be near part of the family, our land is about 5k away. I think in the countryside it is on the whole better to be in an area where the extended family has a presence, making you a "made guy". better and safer than being isolated. Different if I was in Bangkok.

In any event, the sisters, who grew up in Oz, dominate the locals like a gang of 4 and I've been around them for 20 years.

Very interesting.

That is remarkably cheap to get your gear to Thailand. Was that an entire 20ft container or just part of?

That was self packing and a full 20 ft container which the shipping company loaded. Pays to ring around, I was quoted anything from 2500 to 4000 for the container. Cousin works in the port as a freight manager or something so may have got us off lightly with customs as we had a lot of new stuff and many double ups like tv's and computers.

Thanks for that info. Far far cheaper than I imagined.

Ive been quoted similar prices for Sydney to Brisbane in the past..

In any event, the sisters, who grew up in Oz, dominate the locals like a gang of 4 and I've been around them for 20 years.

Well it's your life/funeral, pretty hard to not be dominated yourself in that situation, I personally couldn't stand it. And maybe all this is just over-concern on my part, please understand I'm not casting aspersions or trying to be negative here, things may be all honeymoon wonderful at the moment but if (when) things go against you, you and your wife may find it difficult to take a stand against the rest of them, and god forbid your wife takes their side against you!

Make sure you don't rely on them too much at all for your future well-being financially, keep significant assets separate and out of reach, ideally not even known to anyone but yourself, so you're confident enough to project the reality that you're capable of simply walking away at any time if things go pear-shaped.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK
  • Like 1

Well it's your life/funeral, pretty hard to not be dominated yourself in that situation, I personally couldn't stand it. And maybe all this is just over-concern on my part, please understand I'm not casting aspersions or trying to be negative here, things may be all honeymoon wonderful at the moment but if (when) things go against you, you and your wife may find it difficult to take a stand against the rest of them, and god forbid your wife takes their side against you!

Make sure you don't rely on them too much at all for your future well-being financially, keep significant assets separate and out of reach, ideally not even known to anyone but yourself, so you're confident enough to project the reality that you're capable of simply walking away at any time if things go pear-shaped.

Ahh...the perfect storm.

Unfortunately, harder in a case like this most likely as she has become Aussie to an extent...switched on and aware....I hide all my valuables under my cupboard....she cannot lift that.

I have over the years, developed special powers, I can see past, around, over and right through them at will. Without a thought they all just kind of fade into the background. The next step in farang evolution. An F-Man. :P

Excellent report necron, a shack like that I could live in any day. Well done.

Agreeing with theblether ...

That shack has much aesthetic appeal and is so Thai ... there is so much 'face' to the front profile of the building.

Do you plan to blog your transition to Thailand?

Keep it going for a week, a month, a year, maybe a marriage ... even if it's not yours?

That shack has much aesthetic appeal and is so Thai ... there is so much 'face' to the front profile of the building.

Keep it going for a week, a month, a year, maybe a marriage ... even if it's not yours?

Yah, at some point.

I will put some trip reports and random musings here, but the Internet connection which involves sephamore and native runners at some stage means photos will have to wait awhile

• Like 1

Yah, at some point.

I will put some trip reports and random musings here, but the Internet connection which involves sephamore and native runners at some stage means photos will have to wait awhile

Sounds like you've got the same internet set-up that I've got......except I have the upgraded model...carrier pigeons!thumbsup.gif

Here,s the view from the front, not picture postcard stuff but I get to keep up on all the village gossip.

ATWSG.jpg

Here's the other view, which also gets the prevailing breeze.

v5BMD.png

Somewhere just over that hill there is 3G....a hill too far sadly.

Edited by necronx99

Posted in the motoring forum but repeated here for continuity.

New toy for tooling around the village, much better than a scooter as a lot of the roads are dirt and get tractor traffic.

My road is dirt and the govt have offered to pave it, but it would require some residents giving up a foot or so of their land to make the road a standard width. Would seem a no brainier to me but.....

viM6q.jpg

Necronx 99 welcome to Thailand, may you have a long happy life here with your wifesmile.png

There are many good positive posters on this topic and a bitter one.

My 2 cents: Before buying/building a house in the sticks make SURE you wont regret it and get bored and drunk every day. My wife owns land & house some 60km from SiSaket and I can max stay for 5 days and I want to go back to our house in Pattaya (No I don't go girl hunting, but like all the buzz and options the area gives me & good school(s) for our boy). Okay thankfully we are all different so horses for courses.

Keep your savings overseas and only bring in what you need. You will have to have a back-up plan, hope for the best but plan for the worst. I am 50 myself and work 6 month a year in the oil off-shore industrie worldwide and I pay to my pension fonds in Singapore & Denmark, so if the shit hits the fan I will still manage.

I got married here in Thailand and once all the paper work was sorted it was easy and gives me easy Visa options. Also get Thai driver licences for car/motor bike.

Enjoy Thailand, I do despite all the mourners here on TV that turned bitter.wink.png

Just a warning, and I hope you do not need it. You may need to renegotiate that armistice slightly. Retirement brings major changes and thai people do not react well to change and uncertainty. She may view your leaving work as risking security.

Necronx 99 welcome to Thailand, may you have a long happy life here with your wifesmile.png

My 2 cents: Before buying/building a house in the sticks make SURE you wont regret it and get bored and drunk every day. My wife owns land & house some 60km from SiSaket and I can max stay for 5 days and I want to go back to our house in Pattaya (No I don't go girl hunting, but like all the buzz and options the area gives me & good school(s) for our boy). Okay thankfully we are all different so horses for courses.

Keep your savings overseas and only bring in what you need. You will have to have a back-up plan, hope for the best but plan for the worst. I am 50 myself and work 6 month a year in the oil off-shore industrie worldwide and I pay to my pension fonds in Singapore & Denmark, so if the shit hits the fan I will still manage.

I got married here in Thailand and once all the paper work was sorted it was easy and gives me easy Visa options. Also get Thai driver licences for car/motor bike.

Enjoy Thailand, I do despite all the mourners here on TV that turned bitter.wink.png

Thanks Guzzi, I'm at home in the sticks. My last 5 years in Sydney I went out about 6 times all up. My only problem is Internet, which sucks here at the moment.

A few pics from around the village.

Uncle owns the local lumbermill and makes teak furniture.

wNBu3.jpg

He wants us to have this table but I'm not sure I can do it justice, at 12 ft by 4 1/2ft, made from a single plank of what must have been an impressive tree.

gkWkA.jpg

A local semi abandoned temple.

1mBCp.jpg

sDZMh.jpg

Some monks still live there, but they can't keep up with maintanace because these guys keep stealing the room tiles.

zJRIN.jpg

There are hundreds on the temple grounds, Hanuman must not have approved of the style.

Pretty much all around looks like this.

30WHd.jpg

And I never get tired of looking at this.

Yp3Gs.jpg

^^ Looks like that Temple could also do with necronx99's magic handyman touch.

Still up to shimming up a roof and fixing a few Roof Tiles in place?

If you were a man of the land back home (and face it ... we all live in cities but our hearts are in the Outback), I can see the appeal of the Rural lifestyle photos.

Soil quality?

Edited by David48

^^ Looks like that Temple could also do with necronx99's magic handyman touch.

Still up to shimming up a roof and fixing a few Roof Tiles in place?

If you were a man of the land back home (and face it ... we all live in cities but our hearts are in the Outback), I can see the appeal of the Rural lifestyle photos.

Soil quality?

The Dirt looks like black/brown gold to me..

I said it before , and I will say it again

You lucky bastard!!

I am back in the US now , will be here for at least the next 6 months and I hate it

It gets my goat every time I read about all the petty complains , expats have about Thailand

next time I hear a complain perhaps I will use some of the pictures you just posted,, with the caption, " To get to all of these, you have to put up with some of that"

Chock Dee

You lucky bastard!!

I am back in the US now , will be here for at least the next 6 months and I hate it

It gets my goat every time I read about all the petty complains , expats have about Thailand

next time I hear a complain perhaps I will use some of the pictures you just posted,, with the caption, " To get to all of these, you have to put up with some of that"

Chock Dee

I won't lie, it's not all beer and peanuts, there's ice in my beer and they just manured the fields so there is a plague of flies just now.

I lied, it is actually all beer and peanuts...:) ....with some flies.

Edited by necronx99
  • Like 1

Thanks Guzzi, I'm at home in the sticks. My last 5 years in Sydney I went out about 6 times all up. My only problem is Internet, which sucks here at the moment.

Necron, in regards to the internet, I spent a few months living in a small village in the sticks when I first arrived. You can get internet via satellite dish from TOT from what I've heard. Not sure how fast it is though.

Congrats on making the move. For me, village life was extremely relaxing. Nothing like cruising on ur bike in the middle of the sticks at night thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

You lucky bastard!!

Chock Dee

I won't lie, it's not all beer and peanuts, there's ice in my beer and they just manured the fields so there is a plague of flies just now.

I lied, it is actually all beer and peanuts...smile.png ....with some flies.

Great pics by the way! You should definitely keep up the posts!

A few pics from around the village.

Uncle owns the local lumbermill and makes teak furniture.

wNBu3.jpg

He wants us to have this table but I'm not sure I can do it justice, at 12 ft by 4 1/2ft, made from a single plank of what must have been an impressive tree.

gkWkA.jpg

A local semi abandoned temple.

1mBCp.jpg

sDZMh.jpg

Some monks still live there, but they can't keep up with maintanace because these guys keep stealing the room tiles.

zJRIN.jpg

There are hundreds on the temple grounds, Hanuman must not have approved of the style.

Pretty much all around looks like this.

30WHd.jpg

And I never get tired of looking at this.

Yp3Gs.jpg

Those chairs look comfortable for doing a spot of not much at all. thumbsup.gif

Little too throne like for me, they would be good for ordering the wallas around while sipping a gin and tonic though. He has one with a backboard made from a cross section of the root of a massive teak, like 8 floor wide flames sitting behind the chair. Something out of Tolkien, can't imagine who ordered it. I'll take a pice nect time I'm there.

Edited by necronx99