Necron'S Big Adventure

necronx99

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations, I think. (Am a bit confused; normally wouldn't congratulate someone who just lost their job :P however, I think you are happy with it). I think that you got everything set. I wouldn't worry about the retiring at 45 thing. Honestly LIFE IS SHORT. Do you want to waste enjoying life until you are 65. Do it now while you're still young enough to enjoy it. That's what I say.

You Lucky Dog!!!

I just got back to the US two days ago, must go back to work, still under Thai time, cant sleep all night, cant keep my eyes open all day. Why cant I get bought out by my company? Grrrrr

Any way, congratulations I wish I was you.

I am pretty sure it is best to get your Type O visa outside the country, and it is a good Idea to do it at your own counrty as the consulate there would be more sympathetic and helpful.Here is a link with some info

http://www.thaivisa.com/275.0.html

You Lucky Dog!!!

I just got back to the US two days ago, must go back to work, still under Thai time, cant sleep all night, cant keep my eyes open all day. Why cant I get bought out by my company? Grrrrr

Any way, congratulations I wish I was you.

I am pretty sure it is best to get your Type O visa outside the country, and it is a good Idea to do it at your own counrty as the consulate there would be more sympathetic and helpful.Here is a link with some info

http://www.thaivisa.com/275.0.html

Hmm, that will be problematic as she is now in LOS having scampered there quick as a flash as soon as I agreed to this....

Congratulations, I think. (Am a bit confused; normally wouldn't congratulate someone who just lost their job :P however, I think you are happy with it). I think that you got everything set. I wouldn't worry about the retiring at 45 thing. Honestly LIFE IS SHORT. Do you want to waste enjoying life until you are 65. Do it now while you're still young enough to enjoy it. That's what I say.

Yes, and men in my family tend to die young.....

Congratulations, I think. (Am a bit confused; normally wouldn't congratulate someone who just lost their job tongue.png however, I think you are happy with it). I think that you got everything set. I wouldn't worry about the retiring at 45 thing. Honestly LIFE IS SHORT. Do you want to waste enjoying life until you are 65. Do it now while you're still young enough to enjoy it. That's what I say.

Yes, and men in my family tend to die young.....

That's probably because they did not move to Thailand at 45, I am sure you would live to be 100smile.png,

Not to worry about the visa, I am sure you can do a border run and convert your tourist visa to Type O non Immigrant visa

Here is a link on the story of some one who did it., and how he did, it.

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Reader/reader2097.htm

^^^^^^

Don't think you need your wife to do it at your home country consulate,

Just need some documents that if you don't have your wife can send you from Thailand. If you have the time, call the consulate at your area and ask them.

^^^^^^

Don't think you need your wife to do it at your home country consulate,

Just need some documents that if you don't have your wife can send you from Thailand. If you have the time, call the consulate at your area and ask them.

100 would actually be a negative outcome. I didn't have that many options....

For various reasons, mostly inane we aren't married yet and will do so in LOS.

I'm sure it can be worked out.

settled into a comfortable armistice.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Wisdom come forth with that statement Necron, I bet there are millions of married men throughout the world that recognize that state of grace. biggrin.png

Congratulations on your move, congratulations on creating the circumstances that allowed you to retire at 45, and congratulations on your 20 year relationship with your lovely lady, once again disproving the naysayers about relationships in Thailand.

On topic......you forgot to book a couple of flights out of Thailand this Summer, get on to Air Asia and have a look at their sale flights. Your retiring, not stagnating, put a marker down before you start that you will be taking off when it suits you.

Don't get into a rut, it's so hard to get back out. So prepare now for not getting into it. wai.gif

settled into a comfortable armistice.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Wisdom come forth with that statement Necron, I bet there are millions of married men throughout the world that recognize that state of grace. biggrin.png

Congratulations on your move, congratulations on creating the circumstances that allowed you to retire at 45, and congratulations on your 20 year relationship with your lovely lady, once again disproving the naysayers about relationships in Thailand.

On topic......you forgot to book a couple of flights out of Thailand this Summer, get on to Air Asia and have a look at their sale flights. Your retiring, not stagnating, put a marker down before you start that you will be taking off when it suits you.

Don't get into a rut, it's so hard to get back out. So prepare now for not getting into it. wai.gif

Planning on doing a lot of driving, Thailand first then the neighbors..

• Like 1

Well done Necron.

I also realised that life is too short, but I couldn't wait for redundancy of any sort, so I bit the bullet, added up all (little) assets, and thought.....why not? So at the ripe old age of 50 (and a half) I pulled the pin and am now happily retired (15 months and counting) and have not looked back.

I agree with the other posters WRT visas, just get your butt over here and sort things out then. You've been here enough times plus you have a wealth of information at your fingertips right here from very helpful and willing TV members.

Enjoy your life mate.clap2.gif

Nice sound to it....good to see a plan come together nicely.

Dunno about visa as I live on the support a child status.

Dunno about phones and internet as I still use my 6yo dumb phone and my internet at home is via an aircard.

As for retiring at 45yo.....I did it at 39yo.....after a few years and after the house hassles.....you might look for something to do, especially with no kids as they keep us busy. I spent 3 years doing nothing, then slowly did a few things.....no rush, settle in and take it as it comes.

I spent all my time with my children as youngsters...they still are youngsters at 7 and 10yo, but I mean the early years prior to spending days at school. Now they are at school all day, I am looking to do things during those hours. As long as the choice is yours....no worries.

• Like 1

Necron is on a flight right now, on his way to start his new life in Thailand.

Congrats on the move Necron

Good, so he won't hear us saying he has no idea what he just let himself in for.

Coup around the corner, bloodshed, civil war, local bakery out of my favourite bread...

• Like 1

Necron is on a flight right now, on his way to start his new life in Thailand.

Congrats on the move Necron

Good, so he won't hear us saying he has no idea what he just let himself in for.

Coup around the corner, bloodshed, civil war, local bakery out of my favourite bread...

Your joking!! How will you survive without the bread!!....

It'll be interesting to follow his transition to living full time in Thailand.

Good luck to you.

I did something similar at 47. After a year of easy living in Thailand and quite a bit of time in other SE Asian countries, I got a bit bored and last summer went back to work. After a few months in Singapore and now 10 months in China, I have to say I quite enjoy my job - nobody more surprised than me !

Will try again in a couple of years I think as I also don't want to work for too long.

Good luck to you.

I did something similar at 47. After a year of easy living in Thailand and quite a bit of time in other SE Asian countries, I got a bit bored and last summer went back to work. After a few months in Singapore and now 10 months in China, I have to say I quite enjoy my job - nobody more surprised than me !

Will try again in a couple of years I think as I also don't want to work for too long.

I suppose the trick will be to keep myself busy enough that I don't want to go back to work for someone else.

Good luck to you.

I suppose the trick will be to keep myself busy enough that I don't want to go back to work for someone else.

Yup, I guess we're all different, as are the careers we have and the lifestyles we choose upon retirement.

For myself, I found it intellectually stimulating and rewarding when I went back to work and on the first day in the office I knew I made the right decision to go back to work for a couple more years. I've also found that I enjoy my leave more than I did when I was not working; I restarted work last May and have been to Indonesia and Thailand about 5 and 4 times respectivley.

If it's a proper Mia Noi sin sod won't be an issue.

She will expect a reasonable condo, monthly allowance and probably a car as well.

Looking at the amounts that some Thais spent on the Mia Noi you might wish to consider some part time job because your pension might not be sufficient.

Edit for sp.

Edited by meom

Make sure you leave your sense of right and wrong at customs on the way in. If possible remove your balls, self worth and purpose also. Remember, its just the way it is in Thailand, its their custom,they dont really hate us.

Welcome. whistling.gif

Retiring here at 45? Why did you wait so long??? Just kidding, I wish! enjoy it and keep jay yen yen, it will help you live longer and enjoy it better. Congratulations on your new life.

Trip report part a.

I must say at the outset, ticking that little box on the card that says "resident departing permanently" was a strangely liberating action.

One night in Bangkok and then off to see the family in a small central Thai village. This is quite new to me, all my previous time has been as a beach tourist or company sponsored stays in Bangkok, pretty much at the top end of town.

Lots of extended family, mostly of modest means.

The area is quite picturesque, sort of a valley surrounded by small mountains, lots of cane and sunflowers.

Family are friendly and helpful, I can hardly lift a finger without someone jumping in to finish it. They mostly don't drink and are in awe of my beer drinking skills.

They built us a small bungalow to camp in while we wait to build a house. This is an odd situation as with two aircons and a western bathroom (sort of) it is the nicest house around and the BiL, whose land it is on lives in what i would call a shack (if it had doors!).

The balcony overlooks the small noodle shop attached to the BiL's house next door which has its interesting moments as the locals seem to want to share their beer with me, even when I am having my morning coffee. I'm sure the novelty of talking to the big farang will wear off...

6809222737_f4a88e7a14.jpg

We shipped our gear ourselves, moving company wanted about $6500, we did truck and container in Sydney for a tad under $3000, landed yesterday with port, customs and truck at 30,000 baht so saved a few k there. Contrary to my expectations, everything was intact and Malaccan pirates hadn't stolen my Xbox.

The truck arrived last night and a swarm of locals turned out to unload. This cost me a case of Leo and spent a few hours drinking with the lads on the roadside. My dance card is now full with trips various offered trips ranging from cockfighting, bird shooting and snake hunting.....

Edited by necronx99

Why did she have you wrap up your head in that red cloth? Can't be a good sign. . .

8-)

Nice "bungalow to camp in"!

If you don't mind I'll put in my 2¢ worth of unsolicited advice: camp there for a good six months to a year before committing to building any more, you may find you'd rather set up house at least 500km away from the inlaws, even if they're all nice as can be, much better to establish your own independent family unit rather than becoming an appendage to hers. . .

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

Trip report part a.

I must say at the outset, ticking that little box on the card that says "resident departing permanently" was a strangely liberating action.

One night in Bangkok and then off to see the family in a small central Thai village. This is quite new to me, all my previous time has been as a beach tourist or company sponsored stays in Bangkok, pretty much at the top end of town.

Lots of extended family, mostly of modest means.

The area is quite picturesque, sort of a valley surrounded by small mountains, lots of cane and sunflowers.

Family are friendly and helpful, I can hardly lift a finger without someone jumping in to finish it. They mostly don't drink and are in awe of my beer drinking skills.

They built us a small bungalow to camp in while we wait to build a house. This is an odd situation as with two aircons and a western bathroom (sort of) it is the nicest house around and the BiL, whose land it is on lives in what i would call a shack (if it had doors!).

The balcony overlooks the small noodle shop attached to the BiL's house next door which has its interesting moments as the locals seem to want to share their beer with me, even when I am having my morning coffee. I'm sure the novelty of talking to the big farang will wear off...

6809222737_f4a88e7a14.jpg

We shipped our gear ourselves, moving company wanted about $6500, we did truck and container in Sydney for a tad under $3000, landed yesterday with port, customs and truck at 30,000 baht so saved a few k there. Contrary to my expectations, everything was intact and Malaccan pirates hadn't stolen my Xbox.

The truck arrived last night and a swarm of locals turned out to unload. This cost me a case of Leo and spent a few hours drinking with the lads on the roadside. My dance card is now full with trips various offered trips ranging from cockfighting, bird shooting and snake hunting.....

Very interesting.

That is remarkably cheap to get your gear to Thailand. Was that an entire 20ft container or just part of?