Farang - Farang Couples

draftvader

How did you become a Farang - Farang couple in Thailand?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It is always Farang-Thai couple discussions on ThaiVisa, and for good reason. I would suggest that we are few and far between, but it would be interesting to hear about other farang-farang couples and their experiences here. As well as the poll above, maybe people could tell us about:

Where they live

Experiences mixing in Thai circles as farang-farang couples

How the man finds people reacting to him when they find out he isn't with a Thai partner

Any issues that you have experienced that you can directly apportion to your farang/farang status

Any positives that you have experienced that you can directly apportion to your farang/farang status

It will be interesting for people in our situation to hear more about other people in our situation and it will, probably, be quite interesting for people not in our situation to hear how life is for people in our situation.

Thank you for your involvement (if there are any of us out there).

I have always thought that Thai people considered that it was God given right for Thailand to supply suitable female company to every farang, married or not. biggrin.png I wouldn't care to argue against that notion or its application.

Personally IMO I wouldn't have come here 13yrs ago just to find a woman who is from the same background and culture as me, I adore Thailand and its people as a whole so going back to farang woman is not an option IMO I'd be interested in doing, I mean why come to Thailand and end up with someone who is similar to your self?? I actually enjoy speaking Thai and embracing the culture and it is possible to laugh and be sarcastic with yr Thai gf if you approach it right and explain what a SOH and sarcasm means lol, unless yr already married to a farang when you come here well why link up with some one who is the same as you??? Horses for courses I guess

• Like 1

Personally IMO I wouldn't have come here 13yrs ago just to find a woman who is from the same background and culture as me, I adore Thailand and its people as a whole so going back to farang woman is not an option IMO I'd be interested in doing, I mean why come to Thailand and end up with someone who is similar to your self?? I actually enjoy speaking Thai and embracing the culture and it is possible to laugh and be sarcastic with yr Thai gf if you approach it right and explain what a SOH and sarcasm means lol, unless yr already married to a farang when you come here well why link up with some one who is the same as you??? Horses for courses I guess

Thanks for your input Jake829. People are people. If you are not dating people because they are not from one place or another you are profiling. Seriously everybody is different, so why would where they come from affect your relationship choices?

Met my (farang) boyfriend here. We both have had Thai partners before. Both have lived here approximately 6 / 7 years.

Have friends from all walks, all ages, and some farang/farang couples, some farang/thai (farang female/thai male and farang male/thai female).

When my bf is on a boys night out and girls ask him if his gf is thai or farang, he said they go sort of quiet when he says farang lol. He recons its the "unknown entity" factor. I dunno..haha.

Positives for us personally, is having had experience and somewhat understanding of what it is like to living in Thailand single as well as with Thai partners. I would say we are both pretty content with that experience. Pluses would be no language barrier (both native English speakers), so jokes, sarcasm, etc are understood. No major cultural clashes, lack of understanding, or misunderstandings. I enjoyed all those factors with my ex Thai partner, so its not a bad thing, but i have to say, i do prefer the ease of conversation and fluidity etc of no language/culture barrier.

Hmm..not sure what else to tell you tbh... ermm.gif

Thank you for your input. I am just curious. We've been here 4 years, have a nice life and find that, in comparison to our farang friends in mixed relationships, that we tend to be treated more as equals in large social situations. I guess this is a little unfair on behalf of some Thai people, but they often have an immediate "stereotyped" response to mixed couples and this is dis-armed by us not being that. A little bit of an advantage in that situation. There are some situations which the opposite is true though.

Thanks for your input Jake829. People are people. If you are not dating people because they are not from one place or another you are profiling. Seriously everybody is different, so why would where they come from affect your relationship choices?

Ok I can understand farangs Who are already married to each other or in a relationship who are sent here by their company but from what you said it sounds like a Thai girl burnt you and you had a bad experience with them hence which is why you probley went back to a farang woman, it seems your doing a bit of profiling yourself draftvader

Ok I can understand farangs Who are already married to each other or in a relationship who are sent here by their company but from what you said it sounds like a Thai girl burnt you and you had a bad experience with them hence which is why you probley went back to a farang woman, it seems your doing a bit of profiling yourself draftvader

Oh dear Jake. Mistake. I met my wife when I was 13. We have been together 8 years and travelled the world together until we settled down here 4 years ago. My wife and I were married Friday 13th November 2009 in Pembroke Lodge, Richmond Park, Surrey. Never had a Thai girlfriend, good chance now that I never will.

What a twonk!

--Edit--

Reading my statement I can see that I haven't included a vital piece of information. Though my wife and I dated when we were 13, we broke up (teenage stuff) and got back together again at 30. We are both 38 now.

Edited by draftvader

If you are not dating people because they are not from one place or another you are profiling. Seriously everybody is different, so why would where they come from affect your relationship choices?

And what's wrong with "profiling"?

After 12 years here my list of requirements before I'd even consider taking on a new spinner long-term is now well past two dozen points, and less than half of them are physical.

That's what I need to be happy these days, and even if it eliminates 99.5% of the population it's not difficult finding matches among the remaining couple hundred thousand. Well OK it isn't as easy as having more relaxed standards, but IMO well worth the extra effort.

Most of the ones I know are Russian, although I have met a couple of misc. nationalities as well. Far fewer problems (at least on the surface) compared to mixed couples. Have yet to have a farang-farang couple come to me for a bridge loan, rarely see them having public fights or misunderstandings.

:-)

Thank you for that response. Even better would be allowing them to respond.

I don't think he was stopping anyone responding, but perhaps people with a happy family life are too busy to read General

• Like 1

Pembroke Lodge is only "in Surrey" according to the post office. To everybody else it's in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. Doesn't sound quite so grand I know but if you are trying to impress, at least get your facts right.

Edited by SimonD

^^ You must be joking- The London Borough of Richmond Upon Thames is one of the poshest boroughs in da hood- as someone who hails from Sutton and Cheam, I feel qualified to comment.

Meanwhile on topic- I came here in 2001 with my other half, and we're still here as jobbing teachers.

Experiences mixing in Thai circles as farang-farang couples

They find us a bit odd, but they put up with us very nicely.

How the man finds people reacting to him when they find out he isn't with a Thai partner

Sadly the girls don't necessarily want to jump into bed with me :(

Any issues that you have experienced that you can directly apportion to your farang/farang status

Any positives that you have experienced that you can directly apportion to your farang/farang status

The farang card works for all card carrying members.

This topic has, bar a few generous souls, moved towards the "broken bench in the park" status that many threads on ThaiVisa end up as (i.e. pleasant enough, if you don't want to sit down you just keep moving, but some people feel that they have to graffiti on it, pee on it and kick it. Why? Never understood).

I will now leave it up to the few that have come on here to say nothing constructive as to whether they want to carry on trashing a subject they have nothing useful to contribute towards. If they do then they will probably end up happier (in some strange way) because they have caused a minority topic to be marginalised.

If any other Farang - Farang couples wish to comment then I would be grateful to hear. If the "local lads with nothing better to do" don't deter you, that is.