British Teacher In A Coma After Brutal Assault In Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone on the Thai Visa forum know of any charities, I'm thinking UK-based, whose aim it is to help sick or injured Brits abroad? It seems to happen often enough that you'd think there would be one, even with insurance, sometimes the companies exclude certain illnesses, or you just don't have enough coverage, so even someone who thinks they've taken enough precautions might find themselves in such a desperate situation as Adam's. It's a terrible thing that has happened.

This topic now covered in press UK and world wide. link here and more will follow I am sure.

http://bit.ly/Lc4VUU

Wondering if his insurance covering most of this and costs in Thailand not high like BBC wants you to think~!

My heart attach in CM included Ambulance, Heart Cath and 4 days in ICU with follow up, and cost was 2000 USD.

My USA insurance picked up 1900.00

My Thai wife went to Emergency in USA for food posioning and 3.5 hrs in emergency, tests and IV fluid and antibiotics 8000.00 USD.

Insurance paid all but 100 usd. Hard to believe the differnece. Its called USA RipOff. The Thai doctor was absolutely the greatest.

Thailand medical is REAL and I am the first in line to appreciate.smile.png

I hope this chap makes out and will follow the thread to see if I can help.

There is probably a UK comittee that has this in hand already.

Edited by tampasailor

True, the Regents school does not cover their teachers with proper medical insurance. You would think the high amount tuition these private schools charge, (Regents, St.Andrews, Garden, and ISE) , they could afford to offer their Western, certified, overseas teachers adequate medical care. After all, these are not retired farangs teaching English, but qualified, licensed, experienced teachers who teach specific subjects to the students attending these international schools. Let's hope this literature teacher at Regents pulls through.

the students medical cover is pretty basic too, much easier to get a drink out of scotsman than for the insurers to pay up.

I am sure there is some coverage and it might be almost enough. We can only speculate. I see there is a fund drive in Pattaya and on facebook. Maybe I will try that and make some money. Who knows. Perhaps someone will tell us what the costs were and how much the Insurance paid. Would be good information~!

I once got a drink from a Scotsman too~!

Adam Pickles has lived in Thailand for seven years and has a baby son

Friends of a former Leeds teacher left in a coma after an assault in Thailand are appealing for funds to pay his medical bills.

Adam Pickles, 40, was hit on the head by a metal bar in an attack last week in the city of Pattaya.

Mr Pickles has lived in Thailand for seven years where he works as an English teacher at a local college.

His friends have set-up a Facebook page to raise the £2,000 a day needed for his treatment.

Mr Pickles' parents have flown out from their home in Leeds to be by his bedside.

He remains in a critical condition and his parents said doctors were waiting for him to come out of his coma before they could fully assess his injuries.

His mother Adele Pickles said the situation was a "living nightmare".

'Really expensive'

"He's still on a ventilator," she said.

"It's just a case of living day by day and hoping and praying each day that it is good news."

His parents are helping to look after Mr Pickles' eight-month-old son Benjamin.

According to the fundraising page, the teacher's medical insurance has yet to pay out and is unlikely to cover the full cost of his treatment.

Katie Jones, one of the friends behind the campaign, said the medical costs were high because Mr Pickles was being treated in an intensive care unit.

She said: "Earlier this week the hospital asked for another £3,000 to pay for the medication which they needed to change, which will take him through another six days."

"Everything is really expensive over there."

Edited by Rimmer
Link to another forum removed as per forum rules

Thailand assault victim Adam Pickles has overcome two severe health scares in addition to his coma battle during the jubilee weekend.

The former Leeds teacher beat both an infection and pneumonia in just 72 hours as global support for his care and recovery continues to be pledged.

Donations have now passed £33,000 towards the care of new father Adam, 40, three weeks on from the metal bar assault that nearly killed him.

Campaigners have been buoyed by news that the Bangkok insurance firm Adam has a policy with through his Thai teaching job has now agreed to pay towards his care.

However the pay-out will cover about a tenth of the total care bill and none of the repatriation costs, which if combined are expected to exceed £70,000.

Fundraiser drives are taking place across the globe; from curry nights in Pattaya, Thailand; sponsored ultra-skates by the Dutch record holder in the Netherlands, a Dubai rugby tournament and a “buy one for Adam” evening arranged by his ex-colleagues at the Cathedral School, Wakefield.

Very curious occurrence, my sympathy to the victim. Hmmm those hospital charges are closer to a western hospital rather than a THai one, a bit of price gouging I think.

That's because we are farrangs. If you go to Pattaya International they make sure you leave with a bill that is at least 2000 baht everytime. I have been there with my insurance card and without....no matter what I do I always pay almost 2000 baht...its a scam there. I have to go to bangkok christrin or for comon colds I go out to the military chop shop in Sattahip.

Very curious occurrence, my sympathy to the victim. Hmmm those hospital charges are closer to a western hospital rather than a THai one, a bit of price gouging I think.

That's because we are farrangs. If you go to Pattaya International they make sure you leave with a bill that is at least 2000 baht everytime. I have been there with my insurance card and without....no matter what I do I always pay almost 2000 baht...its a scam there. I have to go to bangkok christrin or for comon colds I go out to the military chop shop in Sattahip.

is the military hospital - queen sikret (spelling) or is there another nearby, I've tried to find the Military one and always end up in QS

why not get this chap transfered to a public hospital if he's on support with no immediate threat - I do hope his situation improves and why is the assailent not involved in this, he should right now be selling his house - car and everything he owns to contribute to the injuries he caused, why have the police not arrested and charged him - that usually gets the ball rolling

why not get this chap transfered to a public hospital if he's on support with no immediate threat - I do hope his situation improves and why is the assailent not involved in this, he should right now be selling his house - car and everything he owns to contribute to the injuries he caused, why have the police not arrested and charged him - that usually gets the ball rolling

Yes ,but two wrongs usually make a right

Thailand assault victim Adam Pickles has overcome two severe health scares in addition to his coma battle during the jubilee weekend.

The former Leeds teacher beat both an infection and pneumonia in just 72 hours as global support for his care and recovery continues to be pledged.

Donations have now passed 33,000 towards the care of new father Adam, 40, three weeks on from the metal bar assault that nearly killed him.

Campaigners have been buoyed by news that the Bangkok insurance firm Adam has a policy with through his Thai teaching job has now agreed to pay towards his care.

However the pay-out will cover about a tenth of the total care bill and none of the repatriation costs, which if combined are expected to exceed 70,000.

Fundraiser drives are taking place across the globe; from curry nights in Pattaya, Thailand; sponsored ultra-skates by the Dutch record holder in the Netherlands, a Dubai rugby tournament and a buy one for Adam evening arranged by his ex-colleagues at the Cathedral School, Wakefield.

Anyone wanting updates can log on to

www.facebook.com/groups/adampickles

Apologies to admin/mods if links/ addy adresses break forum rules.

The above links have just been taken from the Yorkshire evening post article I was reading from the Saturday edition.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by Rimmer

is the military hospital - queen sikret (spelling) or is there another nearby, I've tried to find the Military one and always end up in QS

QS and navy-hospital......same same!!

Always threads asking for help for people living here not having medical insurance. One after the other, some say the school did not give enough cover, at the end of the day outside nanny home countries its up to us to know what we have and how much we need to top up. Always same answers to expensive, but nearly always the guys who like a beer who say its to expensive, money for beer but not for insurance,

Hardly any insurance and a family, 10 years of reading these stories, not 1 baht do i give and take the same view as the Embassey, got your self into this mess get your self out. With a previous accident costing family and friends £70,000 one would have thought first thing to do when i got well would be go down and get some decent insurance, including repatiation cover.

Edited by marstons

I hope the victim recorvers.

Something is very strange about this case though, no information at all is made public.

First there were these strange rumors that were spread about the victim.

Then the story about him stopping because he saw a guy (a friend?) beating his wife.

The latest I heard is the victim slightly nudged a car without causing damage when leaving a bar and everything was recorded on CCTV.

What I want to know is what happened?

• Like 2

I'm curious why this story is in the Chaingrai Times. What's the connection?

And the hospital charges 2,000 GBP per day!!! That's nearly 100,000 Baht. Even PBH doesn't charge that much!!!

Oh yes they do Mobi, that is exactly the cost of a bed in the ICU at PBH, believe me we know and had to pay this last year when unfortunately my husband ended up there.

In fact it probably is PBH.

100,000 THB per day is just the cost of the bed in the ICU at PBH this does not include the cost of any medication.

Edited by Hello2you

Always threads asking for help for people living here not having medical insurance. One after the other, some say the school did not give enough cover, at the end of the day outside nanny home countries its up to us to know what we have and how much we need to top up. Always same answers to expensive, but nearly always the guys who like a beer who say its to expensive, money for beer but not for insurance,

Hardly any insurance and a family, 10 years of reading these stories, not 1 baht do i give and take the same view as the Embassey, got your self into this mess get your self out. With a previous accident costing family and friends 70,000 one would have thought first thing to do when i got well would be go down and get some decent insurance, including repatiation cover.

And always someone like you who jumps in to a forum and posts something similar to what you have posted, In my opinion you can keep your 1 baht and stick it up your tud yai.

whilst this thread may be a reminder about having the correct insurance it's also reminds myself and others that some people care about others regardless of their insurance situation and are prepared to help their fellow man/woman when they need help in whatever way they can.

Get well soon Adam and when your home in Thorner or Pattaya I"ll buy you a pint.

I do hope this has brought home to people the value of talking about what should happen if in the event of an accident, beating or whatever you end up in hospital. Private hospitals imo are no different to many of the public ones (Thammassat university Hospital outside bangkok is brilliant) dont feel that the more money you pay the better service you get, it may well be your room has more tv channels and the food is better but thats about it. Ridiculous the amount of money that is needlessly going down the drain in this thread. let people know where you would prefer to be, only takes a 2 min conversation.

Assault Victim School Teacher Adam Pickles Fund Growing

CHIANGRAI TIMES - An appeal to raise money to fly assault victim Adam Pickles home from Thailand has soared past 1,959,976.00 THB a month after the attack that left him comatose.

Regent’s School teacher Adam Pickles, 40 – who moved to Thailand seven years ago – was almost killed by the unprovoked attack on his driveway.

This week he was put back on a ventilator and, in another health blow, was showing signs of pneumonia. But there was good news too. A fundraising appeal launched by his UK family and friends to help pay for his 97,994.93 THB a day treatment and to fly him back to West Yorkshire has reached 2,008,896.13 THB.

Full story http://www.chiangrai.../news/7788.html

Edited by Rimmer
Edited to reflect 'Fair Use'

Hardly any insurance and a family, 10 years of reading these stories, not 1 baht do i give and take the same view as the Embassey, got your self into this mess get your self out. With a previous accident costing family and friends 70,000 one would have thought first thing to do when i got well would be go down and get some decent insurance, including repatiation cover.

And always someone like you who jumps in to a forum and posts something similar to what you have posted, In my opinion you can keep your 1 baht and stick it up your tud yai.

whilst this thread may be a reminder about having the correct insurance it's also reminds myself and others that some people care about others regardless of their insurance situation and are prepared to help their fellow man/woman when they need help in whatever way they can.

Get well soon Adam and when your home in Thorner or Pattaya I"ll buy you a pint.

Thanks for your opinion but as stated i would be keeping anyway, just amazed after one near death experience which needed family and friends to pick up the tab an addtion to the family did not inspire some form of health care protection.

There are crimes like that everywhere in the world .... Pattaya makes no exception .... As well as many other tourists destination worldwide. Pattaya is not more dangerous than Ibiza , Nice or Miami .

Many a night I've walked back from Walking St to Central Rd between midnight and 6am, and the most dangerous people were the ladyboy gauntlet ( they weren't dangerous either, but you had to run to avoid being pickpocketed ). IMO, anywhere can be dangerous- it's the luck of the draw whether it's dangerous when YOU happen to be there, but normally Pattaya's not.

could we have an update from someone in the know on his condition and progress?

how did the fund raising evening go at the Hilton?

Is he out of intensive care yet? It will be a lot cheaper for his medical care when he is.

Get better soon Adam and out of that very expensive hospital, I really feel for you and your family, I have been in the same situation recently and know how awful it is.