Death Trap – Guest Houses In Chiang Mai

Beetlejuice

You could have stayed at Downtown Inn Hotel.

Plus you pay for what you get it you not much you will not get a good place.

There are plenty of places to stay at a reasonable price, including Hotels.

There is no one left in the Downtown Inn but the rats and the cockroaches. The place is destined to be demolished. The wrecking ball should be there any day.

Actually I think this is a valid consideration. Few travelers on their first trip think they will be locked in a firetrap.

and few people think they can get HIV from having unprotected sex just 1 time....

worried about fire escapes in thailand? for god's sake, the OP (or his cousin) needs to get a grip. 400 thb won't buy you safety. you get through the night and live to see another day. youre in thailand!

and its "razzmatazz"...

Yes and this is why it is important to stress the dangers and bring it to people's attention.

?...on an expat forum where most people 1) never stay in such places, 2) know of the dangers associated with staying in such places already...not really following the logic there.

report it to the tourist police or TAT. talking to other farangs (who have no power to do anything in the first place) does absolutely nothing.

Actually I think this is a valid consideration. Few travelers on their first trip think they will be locked in a firetrap.

and few people think they can get HIV from having unprotected sex just 1 time....

worried about fire escapes in thailand? for god's sake, the OP (or his cousin) needs to get a grip. 400 thb won't buy you safety. you get through the night and live to see another day. youre in thailand!

and its "razzmatazz"...

Yes and this is why it is important to stress the dangers and bring it to people's attention.

?...on an expat forum where most people 1) never stay in such places, 2) know of the dangers associated with staying in such places already...not really following the logic there.

report it to the tourist police or TAT. talking to other farangs (who have no power to do anything in the first place) does absolutely nothing.

completely agree; even reporting it is useless; maybe there is a trip advisor page for it......and if there is, why didnt the OP give it the once over.

and its "razzmatazz"...

Quite rite. Most people on this form don't expect a heck of a lot for 400 baht a night. Those are prices that are attractive to backpackers and many of them might pass it over for a cheaper place. Safety and quietness are not on their list when looking for a place to stay.

and its "razzmatazz"...

Where on the forum does it say it is an expat forum?

Expats need to be aware of these things too.

I'm just shocked that beetlejuice has a family member that wants to visit him.

Me too,same old Beetlejuice. A while ago it was the decrepid massage parlours with ugly girls on Le Kroi and his "friend" being chased by a katoey, then Chiang Mai was a ghost town now we are onto Guest Houses. What a miserable life you lead. Is there anything you like about Chiang Mai ?

and its "razzmatazz"...

Didn’t the Op already get a grip when he decided not to stay in the guest house and stayed in a hotel which was 3 times more expensive?

I think there are a few too many sanctimonious keyboard warriors attacking the Op for nothing more than having an innocent rant while at the same time providing a reminder for many of us and a warning for many newbies. Didn’t the Op already get a grip when he decided not to stay in the guest house and stayed in a hotel which was 3 times more expensive?

I think there are a few too many sanctimonious keyboard warriors attacking the Op for nothing more than having an innocent rant while at the same time providing a reminder for many of us and a warning for many newbies.

• Like 2

and its "razzmatazz"...

Didn’t the Op already get a grip when he decided not to stay in the guest house and stayed in a hotel which was 3 times more expensive?

I think there are a few too many sanctimonious keyboard warriors attacking the Op for nothing more than having an innocent rant while at the same time providing a reminder for many of us and a warning for many newbies. Didn’t the Op already get a grip when he decided not to stay in the guest house and stayed in a hotel which was 3 times more expensive?

I think there are a few too many sanctimonious keyboard warriors attacking the Op for nothing more than having an innocent rant while at the same time providing a reminder for many of us and a warning for many newbies.

"get a grip", as in why would he take the time to post such a long rant coming from his point of view (whoring, ladyboys, drinking)? 400 thb guesthouses arent going to meet western standards for safety...ever. complaining when they dont is tantamount to complaining about that thailand's street food isnt sanitary.

In between 'News from Thailand' and 'Visa News' on the home page.

post-64232-0-73225300-1338163887_thumb.p

• Like 1

on the first night we fancied getting hopelessly pissed, doing some unmentionable things with women of ill repute and generally behaving like animals

OK I'll ask..........did it happen?rolleyes.gif

I cant see it myself, thai girls here don't like hairy men, its too abrasive on their skin

Thats the exact opposite of what they tell hairy men! They probably also love baldys and short guys with a nervous tic. You pays yer money and you gets yer tailored compliments

I see that Chiang Mai's Downtown Inn, where three tourists + Thai guide died mysteriously last year, is being torn down. The replacement hotel will doubtless be equipped with emergency exits that will then be locked.....

In the end my cousin and I went and stayed at a proper hotel. It cost us over 3 times the price, but it was worthwhile for peace of mind

Why didn't you invite him to stay at your place? I mean it was only for two nights. rolleyes.gif

I do not live close to the main drag of Chaing Mai and on the first night we fancied getting hopelessly pissed, doing some unmentionable things with women of ill repute and generally behaving like animals, so we thought it better to stay the night.

"women of ill repute"??? here in CM? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

BTW - for future reference, there are a couple of decent little guest houses down soi 1 Loi Kroh, Center Place and the one next door. This off season has been a real off season and you can get a decent clean safe room for under 400 baht. Seek and ye shall find.

In between 'News from Thailand' and 'Visa News' on the home page.

post-64232-0-73225300-1338163887_thumb.p

Well spotted. thumbsup.gif

and its "razzmatazz"...

"get a grip", as in why would he take the time to post such a long rant coming from his point of view (whoring, ladyboys, drinking)? 400 thb guesthouses arent going to meet western standards for safety...ever. complaining when they dont is tantamount to complaining about that thailand's street food isnt sanitary.

Chiang Mai's street food isn't sanitary? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you! (I'm channeling Claude Rains today)