Rpm's?

kelv23

For a while now whenever I download and RPM and try to install it with YAST the packages dont show .I have to do a search for the package (xvid for example) which doesnt always show up.Then if it does I usually get the "package not found on medium" error like its not there.

Anyone help?

Did the RPM install when you attempted to install it using the "YAST" thingy. Did this app not provide the status?

Consider installing the RPM using the command line (the old-fashioned way).

To install:

$ rpm -i [rpm options] package_file

To query:

$rpm -q -p <package_name>

For more info on rpm, just do a "man" on it.

You must also ensure that your system has any/all dependencies packages that may be required for the package you are attempting to install. Some packages will not install if you are missing one or more packages on your system.

Additionally, you may be required to install the package as the "root" user.

Edited by Gumballl

Did the RPM install when you attempted to install it using the "YAST" thingy. Did this app not provide the status?

To install:

To query:

You must also ensure that your system has any/all dependencies packages that may be required for the package you are attempting to install. Some packages will not install if you are missing one or more packages on your system.

This is going to be make or break for me and Linux. It feels like nothing actually works with it.I installed the skype RPM no probs now they dont install.They dont even show up when they are installing with YAST.I have to do a search for them the only way they show up anywhere

I tried the command line but now even that is giving me problems,I try to cd to RPM's (foldername) and the next line is just the < symbol.

All Im trying to do is watch avi's and video clips on my comp.I tried to install the win32 codecs, followed 2 different guides to the letter and nothing.Search for win32 codec all,nothing, win32 nothing yet they are in the win32 directory under usr/lib/win32.

This is a simple task made very difficult and confusing for no reason at all, I only want to install a few things yet it seems like Im getting absolutely nowhere.

Even when I tried to play a file from my external hdd to test it i couldnt .Only local files can be played was the message so I had to transfer the file to my internal hdd just to try it.Very problematic

Edited by kelv23

To install:

To query:

This is going to be make or break for me and Linux. It feels like nothing actually works with it.I installed the skype RPM no probs now they dont install.They dont even show up when they are installing with YAST.I have to do a search for them the only way they show up anywhere

I tried the command line but now even that is giving me problems,I try to cd to RPM's (foldername) and the next line is just the < symbol.

All Im trying to do is watch avi's and video clips on my comp.I tried to install the win32 codecs, followed 2 different guides to the letter and nothing.Search for win32 codec all,nothing, win32 nothing yet they are in the win32 directory under usr/lib/win32.

This is a simple task made very difficult and confusing for no reason at all, I only want to install a few things yet it seems like Im getting absolutely nowhere.

Even when I tried to play a file from my external hdd to test it i couldnt .Only local files can be played was the message so I had to transfer the file to my internal hdd just to try it.Very problematic

Your problems are exactly why Linux is not the best platform for multimedia purposes. I have a linux system at home, and I only use it for s/w development and web page hosting. For all other purpose, I use windoze.

But before you give up on Linux, consider posting here on TV exactly what the problems you are having. In other words, show the text that is spit out when you run the command-line "rpm" with your RPM file. That might help me or someone else to analyse your installation problem.

To install:

To query:

Your problems are exactly why Linux is not the best platform for multimedia purposes. I have a linux system at home, and I only use it for s/w development and web page hosting. For all other purpose, I use windoze.

But before you give up on Linux, consider posting here on TV exactly what the problems you are having. In other words, show the text that is spit out when you run the command-line "rpm" with your RPM file. That might help me or someone else to analyse your installation problem.

Solved it by using packman as an installation source.Linux lives to fight another day..........

To install:

To query:

Solved it by using packman as an installation source.Linux lives to fight another day..........

Well ore like 5 minutes.Played 1 file ok now its saying "loading of kaffeine Part failed" all audio drivers failed to initialize

any more help......