Is Visa Linked To Taxes ?

Hello. I wondered if Thai authorities were 'sophisticated' enough to link visa and taxes. I mean it's nice to make visa runs and such, but are they able to determine that if you have passed the 183 days threshold mentionned by most bilateral tax treaties, you are a Thai tax resident ?

I also wondered if Visas like retirement visa, 1 yr Ed visa, automatically convert you into a tax resident ?

There is no active attempt to search out such information that I am aware of (and am sure it would have been reported if there were). Policy is that only money remitted into Thailand during the year earned would even be taxed and as you mention there are tax treaties that would further limit/confuse. Obviously simple answer would be if actively employed and being paid in Thailand that is where the tax should be paid and exemption claimed from home country if subject to dual tax. But understand most things are not 'simple'. In the US even states can not get it together on such matters.

I have worked for 4 different employers, including 2 schools and have never received a year end statement from them, showing income paid, although my income per year falls below the taxable amount.

I think the rule is income after allowed deductions less than 150,000 Bhat no taxes owed.

Deduct 40% of gross, then personal deduction of 30,000 Bhat, could be more with family to support. The 30,000 Bhat is for a single person without family.

I received this information last year here on TVF.

I have read that the Labor Office could ask to see the paperwork from your employers when issueing W.P.'s although I have never been asked.

Doubt very much that visa would be linked to taxes, but W.P. could be if I am not mistaken.

Surely an employer needs to submit proof that taxes have been paid to renew an WP.

I agree there is no link between taxes and your visa

I have never had to renew, always applied for new and cancelled old when contract was finished.

There has always been time lapse or change in school and or location between old and new, although renewal would have probably been easier.

On application and renewals of my extension of stay based on a WP, the immigration always asks for the PorDor 91 and other forms, stating that the company has paid income tax + social security for their employees incl. me.

Immigration checks it as if it is their own salary.

The minimum salary requirement is basically for all WP's of Westerners except teachers. Roughly said.

On application and renewals of my extension of stay based on a WP, the immigration always asks for the PorDor 91 and other forms, stating that the company has paid income tax + social security for their employees incl. me.

Immigration checks it as if it is their own salary.

The minimum salary requirement is basically for all WP's of Westerners except teachers. Roughly said.

The minimum income requirement is from immigration, not labour.

It's actually a bit surprising to see the Thai tax authorities define ""“Resident” means any person residing in Thailand for a period or periods aggregating

more than 180 days in any tax (calendar) year.", but then they give you a 1 year non-resident visa which with a couple of visa runs you are over the 180 days limit and nothing happens.

Actually I am not talking about working in Thailand, which is more obvious, but only for tax residency. Normally when you spend 183 days in a country you are resident there, and can normally tell your previous 'home' country you are no longer one of 'theirs'.

There is no need to link visas to tax. If you a working here then your income will immediately fall under the radar of the tax office. For example, each time I apply for a new work permit or renew it, I need to show the previous year's withholding tax documents. If you are resident but not working here, then there is no requirement to pay incomes taxes on non-Thai foreign sourced income (unlike many countries). Also, income from dividends, rents, interest are not required to be included in tax returns since all have tax withheld at the source already. However, by doing so you might actually end up paying more tax than you need.

There is no active attempt to search out such information that I am aware of (and am sure it would have been reported if there were). Policy is that only money remitted into Thailand during the year earned would even be taxed and as you mention there are tax treaties that would further limit/confuse. Obviously simple answer would be if actively employed and being paid in Thailand that is where the tax should be paid and exemption claimed from home country if subject to dual tax. But understand most things are not 'simple'. In the US even states can not get it together on such matters.

No I disagree. Both Thailand and the US have quite simple to understand systems. If you reside within it's borders for a certain number of days per tax year then you are a tax resident and must pay tax to that country. Although many things in Thailand are not considered taxable, unlike US, so there is little need for the Revenue department to gather that information.