Marrying A Laos Girl In Thailand

GamLing

Can I marry my girlfriend, who is of Laos nationality, in Thailand? We would like to live in Thailand but she would like to return to Laos every six months or so to visit her parents. I have a Non-Immigrant "O" visa with retirement extension and I have lived here in Thailand for many years. I am from the UK.

Thank you all for your advice and guidance relating to the feasibility and logistics of this proposal.

Edit: Spelling

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you can. But you must both get a confirmation letter of freedom to marry from your own embassy.

For yourself, just look on the UK embassy webiste, it will give all details what yu need to do. She will have to do the same with her embassy and check what they require to issue the affirmation letter.

Yes, you can. But you must both get a confirmation letter of freedom to marry from your own embassy.

For yourself, just look on the UK embassy webiste, it will give all details what yu need to do. She will have to do the same with her embassy and check what they require to issue the affirmation letter.

Wouldn't it be nice if it was that easy?

First they will have to lodge an application, this has to be signed by 12 (yes twelve) ministries for approval. At any step along the way one of the ministries can refuse to sign for any reason they see fit, (read tea money) this process takes a year on average.

Secondly, the OP and his partner will be interviewed by the police on 3 (yes three) different occasions. Expect surprise police visits to the girlfriends' family house from the police hoping to find the Farang staying there illegally.

Thirdly, the OP will have to have a HIV and TB test. Obtain a letter from Scotland Yard to confirm he isn't a wanted criminal in The U.K.

(past criminal record is okay as long as it is not terrorist or anti government related) and a letter from The British Embassy to confirm he isn't already married.

If the OP wishes to do this all by himself, I wish him and his girlfriend the best of luck.

There is an agent in Vientiane who will do this for you for a few thousand dollars which I would urge you to do. He was a very highly ranked police officer and he will sort out the police for you. PM me for details.

First they will have to lodge an application, this has to be signed by 12 (yes twelve) ministries for approval. At any step along the way one of the ministries can refuse to sign for any reason they see fit, (read tea money) this process takes a year on average.

Secondly, the OP and his partner will be interviewed by the police on 3 (yes three) different occasions. Expect surprise police visits to the girlfriends' family house from the police hoping to find the Farang staying there illegally.

Thirdly, the OP will have to have a HIV and TB test. Obtain a letter from Scotland Yard to confirm he isn't a wanted criminal in The U.K.

(past criminal record is okay as long as it is not terrorist or anti government related) and a letter from The British Embassy to confirm he isn't already married.

If the OP wishes to do this all by himself, I wish him and his girlfriend the best of luck.

There is an agent in Vientiane who will do this for you for a few thousand dollars which I would urge you to do. He was a very highly ranked police officer and he will sort out the police for you. PM me for details.

Yes, I do believe that to marry a Laos national in Laos is fraught with obstacles.......... but I was asking about marriage in Thailand, just as though I was marrying a UK national here.

Yes, I do believe that to marry a Laos national in Laos is fraught with obstacles.......... but I was asking about marriage in Thailand, just as though I was marrying a UK national here.

Presumably the lengthy and expensive procedure outlined by Lovelaos needs to be undertaken in order to get the affirmation to marry in Thailand? Or can this (easily) be obtained from the Laos Embassy in Bangkok?

If the procedure has to be undertaken in Laos, is there any advantage in dealing with the authorities in Southern Laos (Pakse) as opposed to Vientiene? My LGF is from Pakse, but like the OP, were we to marry, we'd do so in Thailand and live there.

• 8 months later...

All these web sites are for marrying a Laos subject IN Laos.

My problem is I,d like to marry my Laos GF of 7 years (cannot believe it seems much shorter !!) IN Thailand,under Thai law.

Besides us both getting a statement of Affirmation, stamped translated if necessary into Thai from our relevant embassies is there anything else required.

Hope someone with personal experience and help.

• 9 months later...

I would also like to marry my Lao gf in Thailand. Any more information on this subject? Is it possible to obtain an affidavit from the Lao Embassy in Bangkok. It would be really good to know before hand as I don't live close to Bkk..

• 3 months later...

Any update on this please? I am pulling my hair out. My girlfriend is Laotian. I have had a wedding ceremony in Isan, Thailand. Was hoping to get a wedding certificate on my return to her and she wants the ceremony again in Laos. I also wanted to apply next visit to her for a visitor VISA to UK and work towards a settlement VISA for her and her 4 yr old daughter. I would do the marriage paper work in Bangkok if easier. Seems getting an affirmation to marry from Laos embassy will be difficult though. Sounds like i even need permission and much paperwork to just get engaged to her. What are my best options now please? Any help and experiences appreciated please. I am now put off visiting Laos. She is talking about also visiting Vientaine in Laos for her passport and VISA. I am worried to do this now with the worry of police targeting me for a hefty fine by accusing me of breaking their law. I wish she was Thai now. I am not giving up. I love her. I guess i could just get married in UK and work on UK VISA for that but need to show an engagement and Laos embassy seem to make that as difficult as marriage recognised by them between a foreigner and a Laotian. ARE. HELP PLEASE. I am not giving up on the woman who is the one person I want to spend the rest of my life with. She is 26. I am 36. Any further updates on previous posters experiences and advice?

I know how your feeling. I'm in the same situation.

It doesn't look like there is any other way to get around it. You will need to get an affidavit from Lao to marry your girlfriend, as you know this process can take up to 2 years and a good bit cash too. Unfortunately the Lao Embassy does not issue affidavits. They're not much help to their citizens, in fact I think they try to make things harder for them.

I was even thinking of getting my girlfriend a visitor visa to come and visit my mother in the UK. Then apply for an extension of stay (refugee) based on the fact that it is illegal in Lao to be with a foreigner outside of marriage and if we went back to get the necessary paper work for marriage we could be arrested and jailed. This must be against my right to have a family as we have a child. The UK let people stay for a lot less, can't see why it wouldn't work!

Don't worry about going to Lao with your girlfriend, I go all the time with mine and my son and we stay in the same hotel or at her sisters house. If you are, just go across the border separately and don't stay in the same hotel/room, but like I said that really isn't necessary.

My Laos girl and I have been together in Thailand for over 2 years. I'm an American living on a Non B with a full time job. We have really played out getting her visas and 30 day stamps and have had many bad experiences from getting turned down for Thai visas at the embassy in Vientiane to having to payoff Thai immigration officers regularly at multiple border countries. All of which are insisting on us getting married now without or without bribes.

We're in Laos now. We've been bouncing around here for 3 weeks and I have the affidavit in front of me. The officials won't sign it until after there has been a traditional village proposal, offerings, party etc. I can't afford to go that route. After 2 years of trying, I'm ready to give up on getting married in Thailand because of this paper. I heard about Laos/falang weddings in Malaysia without the affidavit but on further investigation, I have not been able to confirm any successes.

I have heard from a reputable source that there are other countries you can go to much farther away, stay for a specific amount of time and get married with just the 2 passports...but then there's still more: There's nothing that says my Thai job will put her on my visa and or that Thai immigration will recognize this 4th party marriage.

A fiancee visa to America is not an option for me. I don't have anyone qualified to sponsor her.

I don't know where everyone else is at, but I'm also dealing with issues of being between villages, police, naiban and house books because her village is one of the ones being relocated for a new dam. We keep losing days when she makes the 2 day 100kilo trek into the hills from Luang Prabang to get something signed by her naiban and she comes back only to have the police say she has to get a different naiban to sign before they will sign.

At this point, if anyone knows of a place we can live/work legally, please let me know.

If anyone has a contact for someone in Laos that can advise us or who we can hire to help, that could be a big help as well.

It feels good to stumble on this website and see that I'm not alone. Good Luck you guys!!! CW

My Laos girl and I have been together in Thailand for over 2 years. I'm an American living on a Non B with a full time job. We have really played out getting her visas and 30 day stamps and have had many bad experiences from getting turned down for Thai visas at the embassy in Vientiane to having to payoff Thai immigration officers regularly at multiple border countries. All of which are insisting on us getting married now without or without bribes.

We're in Laos now. We've been bouncing around here for 3 weeks and I have the affidavit in front of me. The officials won't sign it until after there has been a traditional village proposal, offerings, party etc. I can't afford to go that route. After 2 years of trying, I'm ready to give up on getting married in Thailand because of this paper. I heard about Laos/falang weddings in Malaysia without the affidavit but on further investigation, I have not been able to confirm any successes.

I have heard from a reputable source that there are other countries you can go to much farther away, stay for a specific amount of time and get married with just the 2 passports...but then there's still more: There's nothing that says my Thai job will put her on my visa and or that Thai immigration will recognize this 4th party marriage.

A fiancee visa to America is not an option for me. I don't have anyone qualified to sponsor her.

I don't know where everyone else is at, but I'm also dealing with issues of being between villages, police, naiban and house books because her village is one of the ones being relocated for a new dam. We keep losing days when she makes the 2 day 100kilo trek into the hills from Luang Prabang to get something signed by her naiban and she comes back only to have the police say she has to get a different naiban to sign before they will sign.

At this point, if anyone knows of a place we can live/work legally, please let me know.

If anyone has a contact for someone in Laos that can advise us or who we can hire to help, that could be a big help as well.

It feels good to stumble on this website and see that I'm not alone. Good Luck you guys!!! CW

Why don't you get married in the USA? Don't try for a fiancee visa for your GF, just try to get her a simple tourist visa. Write a letter inviting her to your home in the USA saying that you will cover all her expenses. You can even be transparent about it and say your intention is to get married in the USA, in your home county, and then return to Thailand or Laos, or wherever you are. The thing the US authorities want to ensure is that the Lao person will not try to stay in the US permanently. You say you don't have anyone qualified to sponsor her for a fiancee visa. Don't get her a fiancee visa, as I said above. Get her a tourist visa. If you are a US citizen you should be able to invite someone to visit your home. You can be transparent about it with the US embassy. Just say you are having trouble getting married in Laos and want to go to your home county, get married and leave.

Thanks so much for the reply. I was thinking along the same lines but I can't find a definitive list of what a person should bring to a tourist visa interview. I have enough money to get us there,stay with family and come back but I keep hearing that the tourist visa needs to show strong proof the person would be returning and that all expenses for the trip would be covered and I'm not sure if I can provide that. She is a house wife and I have a small Thai salary and no assets. I think you have the only answer but I'm afraid to send her in for the interview without knowing how to prepare or if anyone has been able to get a tourist visa to the US for a Laos citizen. While I'm here, does anyone know if it would be better to apply for a tourist visa in Vientiane or Bangkok? Thanks again-I really appreciate the help.

Any update on this please? I am pulling my hair out. My girlfriend is Laotian. I have had a wedding ceremony in Isan, Thailand. Was hoping to get a wedding certificate on my return to her and she wants the ceremony again in Laos. I also wanted to apply next visit to her for a visitor VISA to UK and work towards a settlement VISA for her and her 4 yr old daughter. I would do the marriage paper work in Bangkok if easier. Seems getting an affirmation to marry from Laos embassy will be difficult though. Sounds like i even need permission and much paperwork to just get engaged to her. What are my best options now please? Any help and experiences appreciated please. I am now put off visiting Laos. She is talking about also visiting Vientaine in Laos for her passport and VISA. I am worried to do this now with the worry of police targeting me for a hefty fine by accusing me of breaking their law. I wish she was Thai now. I am not giving up. I love her. I guess i could just get married in UK and work on UK VISA for that but need to show an engagement and Laos embassy seem to make that as difficult as marriage recognised by them between a foreigner and a Laotian. ARE. HELP PLEASE. I am not giving up on the woman who is the one person I want to spend the rest of my life with. She is 26. I am 36. Any further updates on previous posters experiences and advice?

Is there any reason why you cant become legal partners recognized under UK law then visit the UK and register the marriage. Just a thought.

We got married in Hong Kong.

Went to the Lao consulate the day after and they said we should have informed them beforehand.

Saying that, they translated our marriage certificate to Lao, stamped it and then the wife popped back to Laos get it stamped by the relevant ministry and inputted in their computer and ....done.

Nottocus-can you tell me what you needed to get married in Hong Kong? I've heard that they only require the two people's passports but if I end up going that route, I want to go prepared.

Has anyone here applied for a tourist visa for a Laos girl to visit the states?

We got married in Hong Kong.

Went to the Lao consulate the day after and they said we should have informed them beforehand.

Saying that, they translated our marriage certificate to Lao, stamped it and then the wife popped back to Laos get it stamped by the relevant ministry and inputted in their computer and ....done.

Great to see this thread updated, and even greater to read this positive experience of marrying a Lao citizen.

Presumably the Lao Consulate referred to is the one in Hong Kong? I wonder if the Consulate in Thailand will react in the same way.

Nottocus-can you tell me what you needed to get married in Hong Kong? I've heard that they only require the two people's passports but if I end up going that route, I want to go prepared.

Has anyone here applied for a tourist visa for a Laos girl to visit the states?

Hey Ceedub.

For actually getting married in HK, it was really easy. Did it through a lawyer. Had to provide passports. Can't remember what else put was easy.

Link for the lawyer below:

http://www.vongs.hk

Day after we got married, we went to the Lao consulate. My new wife was on a 2 week tourist visa and had to leave in a couple of days.

We told them we got married the day before and wanted to register it in Lao.

They said we should have told them but that it didn't matter. They asked if we had any of my wife's documents (luckily we did). These documents were:

1. A police report from Lao (was out of date but the guy said don't worry)

2. A document saying that she was single and eligible to marry

3. Birth certificate

4. A document saying her place of residence in Lao

We gave these and our HK marriage certificate and he said he would translate it (about 5 days). When we said my wife had to go back to Lao in a couple of days he did it overnight and we picked it up the next day. The translated marriage certificate was stamped by the embassy and then he told my wife to take it to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The vice-consul at the consulate was, professional, knowledgeable and friendly. Since then (2011) he has returned to Lao. Not sure what the now guy is like. He's older though (50+) compared to the other guy (35+)

She went back and got it done. Gave it in the morning, paid the cash and picked it up in the afternoon.

After that, we were officially husband and wife in Lao bureaucracy.

Cheers

Thanks for the lengthy post. In my case, the reason why I'd marry in HK is because I can not get A document saying that she was single and eligible to marry signed. If I could get all the signatures, I would have gotten married at our home in Thailand a long time ago.

You do have a solution in that it looks like we can get a marriage in HK that would be accepted in some places but it sure would be nice to get it recognized in Laos while making a trek like that.

Thanks for the lengthy post. In my case, the reason why I'd marry in HK is because I can not get A document saying that she was single and eligible to marry signed. If I could get all the signatures, I would have gotten married at our home in Thailand a long time ago.

You do have a solution in that it looks like we can get a marriage in HK that would be accepted in some places but it sure would be nice to get it recognized in Laos while making a trek like that.

My wife says the police didn't have to sign hers. Only the Nai Bahn.

Archived