Bird Flu Outbreak May Be Downfall Of Thai Pm

george

Spoke to khun wife about this as one does and she refers to the fact that as a popular (for her the best ever) Prime Minister he has to be considerate (she says POLITE) to the feelings of the Thai people.....and that it ...innit.... :o nuff said....hey I aint Thai :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How in the world did he get a Ph.D. from Sam Houston University in Texas? He is an idiot that can barely speak English and has the brains of a sea fly. He has a fortune but is clueless about running a country.

I have met people from China who cannot even speak english doing Masters in Chemistry in Saskatoon in Canada. I have met Phds in London who can't speak English either.

Maybe failing someone for not being able to speak english is bad for business in the university.

Maybe one should ask how an idiot sea fly could become so rich.

Perhaps moral of story is:" who wants to be smart when you can be a rich idiot."

The whole affair reminds me of another Joker - (ex) Iraqi Information Minister Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf. Here are the similarities:

THEN in Baghdad = Our initial assessment is that they are all dead!

RECENTLY in Bangkok = They are being killed by other drug pushers!

THEN in Baghdad = Be assured Baghdad is safe!

RECENTLY in Bangkok = There are no terrorists here! (a week before Hambali's arrest)

THEN in Baghdad = Those infidels!

RECENTLY in Bangkok = They are just bandits!

THEN in Baghdad = I triple guarantee you, there are no American soldiers in Baghdad!

LAST week in Bangkok = There is no bird flu here!

THEN in Baghdad = We shall slaughter them all!

NOW in Bangkok = We shall slaughter them all!

:o

Well said Megashox.

It is sure is difficult to employ good leaders in the 21st Century. They are either infidels, liars, dreamers of WMD or ball carriers.

I put this on the other chicken thread, but as this one is getting more action, I'll post it here as well:

The European Union ban on Thai chicken is likely to be lengthy, AP reports the EU as saying. What is more, Thai assurances that everything is OK won't be enough, given the lack of transparency evident in the last week...an independent assessment will be needed, it says.

``Given the unfolding of events in

Thailand last week, the admission by

the Thai prime minister that things were

not as the public was led to believe, an

independent verification of these

measures and its impact in Thailand

will have to take place,'' said Beate Gminder, spokeswoman for EU

consumer protection commissioner

David Byrne.

``In these circumstances .. of non-

transparency .. a complete reliance on

Thai assurances does not seem to be

the best way to go foward. We believe ..

credibility and trust .. can only be rebuilt

by confidence-building measures.''

This is strong stuff from the EU, which only last week swallowed Thaksin's assurances that Thailand had no bird flu. Mr Byrne, who was visiting Bangkok at the time and gave that assurance, is probably feeling mad about being deceived!

Fine,

Then they deserve to be led by PM Thick-skin, come what may.

Trouble is WE don't deserve him or any of the rest of these muddled up Ministers who get in the way of our fun.

Mai Pen Rai.

What use of nation with no money better die from bird flu.

Man popular because he make average citizen feel rich, typical capitalist.

So, there have been calls for the Dear Leader's resignation. Big deal. He controls a huge majority in parliament, and I mean "controls". Why should he give up such a lucrative, powerful position just because he was caught out.

For some reason, the so-called intellectuals in Bangkok, like those who write for the English language press, have never been able to figure out why the bad guy almost always wins the election over here.

When all is said and done, it's quite simple. About two-thirds of the population have received only primary school education and are semi-literate at best. Put crudely (and somewhat offensively), the majority of adults in Thailand can be considered morons. Lack of formal education and poor diet means they are not not as intelligent as middle class Thais. Also, about three-quarters of the population are poverty stricken farmers and rural workers. They live in small communities which are controlled by leaders who often are de facto mayors for life. Each of these poor idiots have a vote. That vote is delivered to a politician by the community leader (kamnan).

The relatively affluent and worldly middle class is confined to Bangkok and a few other urban centres. Their numbers are growing, but even today, they account for perhaps 10% of the vote. So what if some of the middle class is outraged by crooked politicians? Those crooks will buy enough votes to obtain enough seats in parliament to remain in power.

Does anyone really believe the present government is any different to previous ones? Or, do they believe a Thai government will ever resign on a matter of principle? Thaksin is in no danger at all from the bird flu epidemic. Unless, of course, he catches it.

As someone who once tutored foreign students through their management degree courses and eventually wrote final theses for four of them (three As and a distinction - better than my own pass) to pay my way through college, I can categorically confirm that many foreign students acheive degrees this way at UK colleges. My appointment to the tutoring (and tacit support for the under-the-table thesis writing) came from the head of the Business Management department, who was "under pressure" from his superiors NOT to fail foreign students using whatever means necessary.

Whether Mr T took this route to success remains to be seen, but I seem to recall that one of the main reasons T joined the police force was to get himself a good foreign education (the billions came later). Not sure if the police finance would cover paying a starving under-grad to write his thesis, but they work for peanuts so who knows.

Anyway, before I'm chastised by the moderator for being off subject, I think it's going a bit far to try to draw parallels with Nixon and Watergate. Closer to a correlation would be Blair and the Mad Cow outbreak that virtually crippled the UK a couple of years back... and Blair's still there despite a significant amount of other nonsense.

Alas the birds are not likely to bring down this turkey, whose - rather hackneyed - comeback to the problem is to throw imaginary money at it. Just heard he's "earmarked" 80 million baht for a relief fund - a million baht each for those who die. Cold comfort, I hear you moan, but clever PR (worked for SARS)... unless more than 80 people die of course (unlikely, considering death tolls during previous outbreaks) But I feel most sorry for the poor lad who died yesterday, not only because he lost his life, but because he did so before Taksin launched the fund, so therefore will not receive the pay-off. Now that's Taksin-omics for you.

Does anyone really believe the present government is any different to previous ones?

One big difference - previous pols used large quantities of their own cash to buy votes. Taksin conned his way in with promises of a million baht per village... paid from the public purse. It was only later that they learned of the vigorously stringent qualifications for the pay-off. Has anyone ever worked out how many villages actually received the full mill? Might make for some interesting math.

Does anyone really believe the present government is any different to previous ones?

One big difference - previous pols used large quantities of their own cash to buy votes. Taksin conned his way in with promises of a million baht per village... paid from the public purse. It was only later that they learned of the vigorously stringent qualifications for the pay-off. Has anyone ever worked out how many villages actually received the full mill? Might make for some interesting math.

A bit off topic but:

All the Moo Baan's got their loans, and most of them have paid it back. As soon as the loans are due, they pay back and get anotber loan the following week.

Circulation. TiT.

Huski and Mr. Vietnam, both of you are correct and I agree with you totally. I suppose the Government thinks we are idiots and of course obviously they never see it the western ways of reality. Ho Hummmmmmmmmmmmm

Time for us to get a beer and munch on some cracker jacks and marvel on our intelligence. Who knows perhaps they can pick up on some cues from us. What do you think???

I think the government is right. ( about the only thing they are right about) People are idiots. That's why the government is able to steal the amounts they do.

Mr Vietnam :o

Tourists asking questions ...

International tourists have begun to express concern over the bird flu situation in Thailand as the impact of the outbreak spreads throughout Asia and international media attention rises.

Experts say the danger posed by the bird flu is greatest for those in direct contact with infected birds. Human-to-human transmission is deemed extremely unlikely, and there is little danger in consuming properly cooked chicken.

Although there have been no significant impact or cancellations of tour groups to Thailand, there had been several inquiries to Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) offices in Paris, London and Stockholm, said Sonthaya Khunpluem, the tourism and sports minister.

While Australian media reported that Thailand tried to hide news of the disease, the Canberra government has not issued any travel advisories to its citizens.

In Hong Kong, many Thailand-bound tourists have requested menu changes to non-chicken dishes, officials said.

Malaysian and Singaporean tourists, however, continued to travel to Thailand over the recent Chinese New Year.

Vichit Na Ranong, head of the Tourism Council of Thailand, said the government should distribute a manual to tourists explaining the current situation.

--The Post 2004-01-27

let me get this straight: I get pulled up for being considered by some to be off topic. But as long as I qualify whatever I say here with "I know this is a bit off topic but....." then its OK?

I know I am new to this politics forum, but I am confused.

I put this on the other chicken thread, but as this one is getting more action, I'll post it here as well:

The European Union ban on Thai chicken is likely to be lengthy, AP reports the EU as saying. What is more, Thai assurances that everything is OK won't be enough, given the lack of transparency evident in the last week...an independent assessment will be needed, it says.

``Given the unfolding of events in

Thailand last week, the admission by

the Thai prime minister that things were

not as the public was led to believe, an

independent verification of these

measures and its impact in Thailand

will have to take place,'' said Beate Gminder, spokeswoman for EU

consumer protection commissioner

David Byrne.

``In these circumstances .. of non-

transparency .. a complete reliance on

Thai assurances does not seem to be

the best way to go foward. We believe ..

credibility and trust .. can only be rebuilt

by confidence-building measures.''

This is strong stuff from the EU, which only last week swallowed Thaksin's assurances that Thailand had no bird flu. Mr Byrne, who was visiting Bangkok at the time and gave that assurance, is probably feeling mad about being deceived!

Yeah, from where I'm sitting David Byrne really does have egg on his face for being "used" like that. The only thing I can think of when he said those things last week is that he'd just come out of a "Darling is Feeling"-type massage parlour, courtesy of Tox and was feeling so sabai sabai, he could have told you that there are no traffic jams in Bangkok and that there's no such thing as prostitution in Thailand. :D He should resign pretty pronto too. :o

Just for the record, BSE (mad cow disease), and its possible link to causing CJD in humans, broke into the news (and was badly mishandled by Government ministers) during the time that John Major (not Tony Blair) was PM in UK. It was one of many 'nails for the John Major Government coffin'.

The original posting doesn't say who was calling for Thaksin's resignation. IMHO, it is a cheap hack's trick to capture audience attention to start your story with "calls for PM resignation" (one can always find a couple of people on a street who will say "he ought to resign")...........unless, of course, you can follow up with "The King of Thailand called.....!!!!

The big downside of all this is that it has spoilt Thailand's image, and that will be reflected in less tourist arrivals than there would have been, for several years. There is a parallel here to the effect of BSE and Foot and Mouth Disease on Britain's overseas tourist arrival numbers.

The whole of Thailand will be tarred with the same brush, though only 10 provinces out of 76 are affected.

t is a cheap hack's trick to capture audience attention to start your story with "calls for PM resignation" (one can always find a couple of people on a street who will say "he ought to resign")

I agree. It is a cheap hack's trick. I can't find it anywhere in the interview transcript either.

As for Byrne, he made that assurance after an hour-long meeting with Thaksin and a visit to an agriculture ministry lab.

He was a fool to make such an assurance, but maybe he thought no one would dare lie about such a thing.

let me get this straight: I get pulled up for being considered by some to be off topic. But as long as I qualify whatever I say here with "I know this is a bit off topic but....." then its OK?

I know I am new to this politics forum, but I am confused.

QUOTE (george @ Mon 2004-01-26, 06:03:35)A bit off topic but:

All the Moo Baan's got their loans, and most of them have paid it back. As soon as the loans are due, they pay back and get anotber loan the following week.

Circulation. TiT.

No, you need to be the guy that owns the web-site :o

Thaksin will not fall, just as "honest mistakes" do not cause expulsion. Nobody seems to eat chicken on the streets and have not been for a week or two before the admission of the "Government". There seems to be an innate sense of survival in the Thai people.

An aside, the police are starting to ask bar owners in Suk. 22 to close at 12 midnight. Making their own rules it seems for now.

I tried to post this before, so pardon if it appears twice. A student or anyone interested in Thai politics should read the history of Phaulkon, advisor/prime minister to Narai the Great. ca 1650. Much is still valid and part of the culture and character of Thailand and possibly applicable to our times.

But in those days he was dealing with Siamese Thais, rather than the Sino-Thai running the show today. Totally different kettle of fish altogether as to priorities and outlook on life.

That Phaulkon had serious sanuk before they lopped off his noddle. :o

George,

BKK Post 28/01/04 (POSTBAG) might be of interest:

What is Thaksin telling the world?

Khun Thaksin openly denied denying the existence of bird flu when interviewed for an Australian radio station.

The live recording was posted on thaivisa.com and miraculously disappeared the next morning. I hope the owner of the website was not threatened with being a threat to national security as this would clearly be a sign of some kind of Thai humour that few people would understand.

I think it would be in the interest of Thailand that Thai people should have access to live broadcasts of their own prime minister.

Utopia

Here is the link, middle of the page:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/28Jan2004_news37.html

The reference to Phaulkon was to point out that Thailand passes through periods of relative acceptance of foreigners and then periods of "closing" and paranoia and blaming the foreigner. We may be entering one of these and it may last longer than many of us. It also has a reference to The Monarchy and the stabilizing role it plays if active and healthy. We hope and pray for longevity of the present King.

George,

BKK Post 28/01/04 (POSTBAG) might be of interest:

What is Thaksin telling the world?

Khun Thaksin openly denied denying the existence of bird flu when interviewed for an Australian radio station.

The live recording was posted on thaivisa.com and miraculously disappeared the next morning. I hope the owner of the website was not threatened with being a threat to national security as this would clearly be a sign of some kind of Thai humour that few people would understand.

I think it would be in the interest of Thailand that Thai people should have access to live broadcasts of their own prime minister.

Utopia

Here is the link, middle of the page:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/28Jan2004_news37.html

The radio interview is still up and running, (see post no 1 in this thread) and we have not received any threats from anyone.

Guest IT Manager

Can soon change that.

"If you are going to run Radio, on Thaivisa, translate into Thai so my older son can understand more of the lies"

Does it count as a threat?