Non-B Visa And Work Permit With A Criminal Record?

i plan to work in Thailand in the near future. However, about 6 years ago I had a run in with the Thai law. It led to a court case. So there will be a record.

Would this mean that I cannot get a work permit and non-b visa to work in Thailand?

For teachers a police check is not uncommon and yes, then it will show up.

I believe the nature of the offense will be taken in consideration, as some with minor offences abroad don't seem to have a problem. But more and better information might be found in the teaching section, as you inquire about teacher specifically.

if you are a freeman by thai law, no worries.

If imprisonment was received he may not be allowed in Thailand.

11. According to the Immigration Act of Thailand B.E. 2522 (1979), foreigners who fall into any of the following categories are prohibited to enter Thailand:

(6) Having been imprisoned by judgment of the Thai Court; or by lawful injunction or judgment of the Court of a foreign country, except for when the penalty is for a petty offence, or negligence, or is provided for as an exception by the Ministerial Regulations.

Convicted criminals being teachers!!!...yes we all get rehabilitated but certain proffessions really shouldnt be open to convicted criminals, teaching being one of them.

What a load of old, reactionary tosh. I am good enough to teach in the UK. It depends on the crime and the circumstances involved.

• Like 1

Convicted criminals being teachers!!!...yes we all get rehabilitated but certain proffessions really shouldnt be open to convicted criminals, teaching being one of them.

What are some other professions that should not be open?

Edited by Colabamumbai

What a load of old, reactionary tosh. I am good enough to teach in the UK. It depends on the crime and the circumstances involved.

Certain types of criminal record will not bar you from teaching, but certainly wouldn't enhance your job prospects. All proper international schools will require an enhanced disclosure, just the same as a school in the UK would. If you are fine to teach in the UK, then I can't see you, in theory, having too much of an issue here.

One thing i'm not clear on, you have a criminal record in Thailand, are you saying you have one in the UK too?

And one thing I don't know is if your CRB check would show up an overseas conviction. If it had, are you sure that wouldn't have barred you?

What came first the teacher or the crime? So many teachers today are having problems,ie sexually abusing students, physically abusing students, having relations with underage students, many being criminal offences......Did this happen because they were teachers and in a position to, or did they do these things before they became teachers.? Make any sense...

er....no. Your point is?

Edited by LucidLucifer

Certain types of criminal record will not bar you from teaching, but certainly wouldn't enhance your job prospects. All proper international schools will require an enhanced disclosure, just the same as a school in the UK would. If you are fine to teach in the UK, then I can't see you, in theory, having too much of an issue here.

One thing i'm not clear on, you have a criminal record in Thailand, are you saying you have one in the UK too?

And one thing I don't know is if your CRB check would show up an overseas conviction. If it had, are you sure that wouldn't have barred you?

What came first the teacher or the crime? So many teachers today are having problems,ie sexually abusing students, physically abusing students, having relations with underage students, many being criminal offences......Did this happen because they were teachers and in a position to, or did they do these things before they became teachers.? Make any sense...

er....no. Your point is?

I am able to work in UK schools. They just want my UK CRB done. Never asked me about my time in Thailand.

So enlighten us on your crime oh pure one

plan to work in Thailand in the near future. However, about 6 years ago I had a run in with the Thai law.

A run in or a run away? - coffee1.gif

Edited by sirchai

Do you guys really want to know? No problem.

I lived in Bangkok intermittently between 2002 - 2007. I did a tefl course and started to teach English in Bangkok.

In 2006, I got into a situation with Thai Authorities. It wasn't malicious or anything like that. However, I did have to go to court over it and also did 2 weeks behind bars over it.

This is how it transpired. I was in Central Chitlom with my gf (know her for 3 weeks) and her best friend. They wanted top go shopping, so I said that I would cruise around the sports section in there and they could come gt me when they were ready. After about 30 mins, my gf's friend came back to the sports shop and told me that my Gf and her were goign up to get something to eat. Would I mind throwing the bags in the car outside. I said, 'sure' see you at the restaurant in a few minutes. I felt that it was a bit strange that they wanted the bags put in the car right away. There were a few dresses, jeans etc in the bag. I walked out towards the parking lot at the rear of the building. When I got about 10 metres outside I heard a Thai guy shouting 'you, you' I turned around and there were 2 Thai security officers and and a guy in a shirt and tie bearing down on me. I asked what the matter was. They took my arms and asked me to follow them. I did, not thinking there could possibly be anything wrong. As, it turned out the girls I was out with had bought a few cheap items and then stole more expensive items in the shop. They had 18,000 baht worth of stolen items int he bag. I was the dummy.

I told the security guys everything. They said that they were watching 'gangs' like mine for a few weeks. I pleaded my innocence. I asked them where the 2 girls were. They said that they had left the building. After about 20 mins 2 cops arrived and took me to Lumpini station. I got a lawyer. I explained my innocence. He said that this was happening a lot in this particular department store and that I was going to be made an example of. He advised me to plead guilty. I sure as hell was not. He told me that I would be out within a week if i pleaded guilty. I could be in for a year if i pleaded not guilty. I had to plead guilty.

That led to a court case and 11 days in a Thai prison (not as bad as they say).

I lived in Bangkok intermittently between 2002 - 2007. I did a tefl course and started to teach English in Bangkok.

In 2006, I got into a situation with Thai Authorities. It wasn't malicious or anything like that. However, I did have to go to court over it and also did 2 weeks behind bars over it.

This is how it transpired. I was in Central Chitlom with my gf (know her for 3 weeks) and her best friend. They wanted top go shopping, so I said that I would cruise around the sports section in there and they could come gt me when they were ready. After about 30 mins, my gf's friend came back to the sports shop and told me that my Gf and her were goign up to get something to eat. Would I mind throwing the bags in the car outside. I said, 'sure' see you at the restaurant in a few minutes. I felt that it was a bit strange that they wanted the bags put in the car right away. There were a few dresses, jeans etc in the bag. I walked out towards the parking lot at the rear of the building. When I got about 10 metres outside I heard a Thai guy shouting 'you, you' I turned around and there were 2 Thai security officers and and a guy in a shirt and tie bearing down on me. I asked what the matter was. They took my arms and asked me to follow them. I did, not thinking there could possibly be anything wrong. As, it turned out the girls I was out with had bought a few cheap items and then stole more expensive items in the shop. They had 18,000 baht worth of stolen items int he bag. I was the dummy.

I told the security guys everything. They said that they were watching 'gangs' like mine for a few weeks. I pleaded my innocence. I asked them where the 2 girls were. They said that they had left the building. After about 20 mins 2 cops arrived and took me to Lumpini station. I got a lawyer. I explained my innocence. He said that this was happening a lot in this particular department store and that I was going to be made an example of. He advised me to plead guilty. I sure as hell was not. He told me that I would be out within a week if i pleaded guilty. I could be in for a year if i pleaded not guilty. I had to plead guilty.

Thanks for your honesty, we have all been taken advantage of somewhere or sometime and usually do not want to mention or remember it. Lesson learned, Thai women, I hope? Go for the job, ignore the naysayers, if you do not get that one, you will surely find another. There are people here working and teaching, guilty of much more than that.

Edited by Colabamumbai

A very unfortunate story, and something clearly not your fault.

I wonder though if the better international schools, if they do do a Thai police check (i'm not sure if mine have or haven't), will even give you the chance to explain your side of the story. Although you were completely set up, you pleaded guilty, which by the letter of the law means you were guilty. I suspect, sadly for you, that the whole sorry saga may well comeback to do you over a second time. I sincerely hope not.

There are people here working and teaching, guilty of much more than that.

But they dam_n well shouldn't be!!!!!

angry.png

Thanks for your honesty, we have all been taken advantage of somewhere or sometime and usually do not want to mention or remember it. Lesson learned, Thai women, I hope? Go for the job, ignore the naysayers, if you do not get that one, you will surely find another. There are people here working and teaching, guilty of much more than that.

Yeah, I certainly learned my lesson. Once bitten, twice shy and all that.7

There probably are teachers in LOS working that have done worse than that (and were guilty), but they probably aren't at the international schools.

A very unfortunate story, and something clearly not your fault.

I wonder though if the better international schools, if they do do a Thai police check (i'm not sure if mine have or haven't), will even give you the chance to explain your side of the story. Although you were completely set up, you pleaded guilty, which by the letter of the law means you were guilty. I suspect, sadly for you, that the whole sorry saga may well comeback to do you over a second time. I sincerely hope not.

angry.png

That is what I am afraid of. I might have to try my hand in another country. However, Thailand became my home for those years that I lived there (even with that incident) and I planned to return to live there full time in the future. However, that may be impossible now.