Peculiar Thai Habit Of Allowing Books To Be Read In The Shop

giddyup

very funny. Also very ignorant as a response - hey i love Thailand too!

You don't see Thais reading in trains and buses as you do in other countries. Sitting alone they don't read like they do in other countries. I haven't seen many Thai houses with many books let alone a library, not even our local school teacher has one. The Thais read much less per capita than other nearby countries. Try using google sometimes: http://seanolvany.wo...do-not-read’/

http://www.bangkokpo...m/print/219967/

and

http://sclthailand.o...ont-read-books/

Edited by cooked

Happens all the time in Tokyo. Walk by any 7-11 type store or any of the bookstores and you will see people reading books/magazines etc. 7-11 is especially popular in the sweltering summer. After working hours, many drop into 7-11 to escape the heat.

Well, there you go. Here I was thinking that it was an exception, now it appears that it's more the rule.

You're right, it is more the rule. Seen it happen all over the USA, at every shop that sells books or magazines.

I think your thread is innocent enough, but it's a good example of how farangs zero in on certain things the Thais do (usually negative) and try to label it as being uniquely Thai when it's actually quite normal behavior throughout the world...usually. But no harm, no foul.

I'm going to have to correct you here. Your post should read a "small minority of farangs"

Your insinuation is that its a general attitude we all have which you should know full well its not.

Come on Berkshire, don't be so negative about non Thais, were not all bad!

Happens all the time in Tokyo. Walk by any 7-11 type store or any of the bookstores and you will see people reading books/magazines etc. 7-11 is especially popular in the sweltering summer. After working hours, many drop into 7-11 to escape the heat.

Well, there you go. Here I was thinking that it was an exception, now it appears that it's more the rule.

You're right, it is more the rule. Seen it happen all over the USA, at every shop that sells books or magazines.

I think your thread is innocent enough, but it's a good example of how farangs zero in on certain things the Thais do (usually negative) and try to label it as being uniquely Thai when it's actually quite normal behavior throughout the world...usually. But no harm, no foul.

I'm going to have to correct you here. Your post should read a "small minority of farangs"

Your insinuation is that its a general attitude we all have which you should know full well its not.

Come on Berkshire, don't be so negative about non Thais, were not all bad!

You're right, of course. I was following TV protocol, which is basically to malign all peoples of that group (read Thais, typically) when one screws up. My bad.

Correct Berkshire, i agree. You are referring to the farangs that get poorly treated in some way by a Thai and from then on refer to it as a national trait!

These people are called imbeciles. biggrin.png

• Like 1

I once saw a guy playing with himself while he was leafing through an issue of Penthouse at one of those big book stores. bah.gif

Was it a happy ending? rolleyes.gif

I didn't wait to find out but I think it was a bit premature as he was struggling to get the centrefold out of the plastic seal. :rolleyes:

Correct Berkshire, i agree. You are referring to the farangs that get poorly treated in some way by a Thai and from then on refer to it as a national trait!

Good word, "imbeciles." I just spotted one on this thread, the guy who suggested that it's "very rare that Thais read books." How he would know this is baffling. Perhaps he's not an imbecile, but a pervert, going around and peeking into people's houses at night to see if they were reading.

.. while we're on the subject, there seem to be no public libraries in Thailand? Is there any kind of book swapping club in Thailand? I can't live without my afternoon read and I don't like Kindle.

I think that the fact that you rarely see a Thai reading a book or even a newspaper is sad, apparently the Vietnamese are avid book readers but they don't have to use an alphabet like the Thais use, do they? Reading Thai gives me a headache after 5 minutes.

Ubon Ratchathani has quite a nice public library. For my own reading I depend on shopping trips to Bangkok and good old Amazon. The only trouble with Amazon is the shipping adds quite a percentage to the book cost.

Good word, "imbeciles." I just spotted one on this thread, the guy who suggested that it's "very rare that Thais read books." How he would know this is baffling. Perhaps he's not an imbecile, but a pervert, going around and peeking into people's houses at night to see if they were reading.

I don't know what the exact reading percentage of the Thai population is, but they certainly don't appear to be avid readers. I did see several Thais reading in the BKK bookshop that instigated this post, but can't say I see them reading on the Skytrain or buses or at lunchtime, places and times you would see most people reading. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a lot of availability, or demand for free books for Thais, as in public libraries. I could point out a public library in every suburb of the city I come from in Australia, I'm yet to see one here.

Edited by giddyup

I don't know what the exact reading percentage of the Thai population is, but they certainly don't appear to be avid readers. I did see several Thais reading in the BKK bookshop that instigated this post, but can't say I see them reading on the Skytrain or buses or at lunchtime, places and times you would see most people reading. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a lot of availability, or demand for free books for Thais, as in public libraries.

hmm, slightly indignant post there....

if you would take the trouble to read my post with links you would maybe find out that Thais read on the average 5 books a year. Knowing Thai statistical management as I do, I suspect that this means Bangkok Thais and probably includes all the students that are forced to read a few books during their studies. In Vietnam the average is 30 books a year.

I don't go sneaking about at night any more, I have many Thai friends and believe it or not I get invited to visit sometimes. Try again:

http://seanolvany.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/%E2%80%98thai-people-do-not-read%E2%80%99/

http://www.bangkokpost.com/print/219967/ and

http://sclthailand.org/2011/08/why-thais-dont-read-books/

Many of the Thai kids at my international school are avid readers, perhaps pushed into the habit at first by school and parents but later on very self-motivated.

I've got one 10-year-old just returned a four-inch thick Dawkins intro text on evolution, have him plowing through Gravity's Rainbow now.

But these are the .01% on the educational/social-economic scale, I'd say the higher you go in the top 10% the closer you get to normal western standards in that regard.

Normal Thais, ie the poor hardly read at all once out of school, and the remaining middle I'm sure varies greatly but suspect not that much.

Note that many do read those little comic books, some girls will read fashion/gossip magazines, better than nothing I suppose.

But generally speaking it's fair to say that Thais definitely don't read that much.

I personally go through 3-4 books a week, and my bedroom looks like a second-hand bookshop after a cyclone's been through. My dependants are constantly asking if they can sell them off to the paper recycler when I don't want them anymore, when I let them know they're worth ß200+ each their eyes go wide. . .

• Like 2

I have never seen a Thai reading a book.

That says more about the Thais you associate with, than it does about Thailand.

Mrs bendix buys 5-6 books a month, and I'm not talking about trash - Thai fiction like Chart Korbjit, SEA winners and Thai translations of the books I've recommended that I think she would enjoy such as Jane Austen and Emily Bronte, more modern stuff like Murakami and Amy Tan. She also loves biography and history.

Would Mrs bendix by chance be a relative to MediumPaceBowler's GF ? rolleyes.gif

And yes, you're probably right about my Thai associates. They mostly read the Muai Thai and football statistics/results/odds in a newspaper.

Edited by Semper

I don't know what the exact reading percentage of the Thai population is, but they certainly don't appear to be avid readers. I did see several Thais reading in the BKK bookshop that instigated this post, but can't say I see them reading on the Skytrain or buses or at lunchtime, places and times you would see most people reading. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a lot of availability, or demand for free books for Thais, as in public libraries.

hmm, slightly indignant post there....

if you would take the trouble to read my post with links you would maybe find out that Thais read on the average 5 books a year. Knowing Thai statistical management as I do, I suspect that this means Bangkok Thais and probably includes all the students that are forced to read a few books during their studies. In Vietnam the average is 30 books a year.

I don't go sneaking about at night any more, I have many Thai friends and believe it or not I get invited to visit sometimes. Try again:

http://seanolvany.wo...-read’/

http://www.bangkokpo...print/219967/ and

http://sclthailand.o...ont-read-books/

I'm not sure what your point is here. The links you provided are confirming the fact that Thais aren't great readers. What is the relevance of your comment I don't go sneaking about at night any more, I have many Thai friends and believe it or not I get invited to visit sometimes. Try again: ? Where do I come across as being slightly indignant, I think you are reading more into my comments than is there.

Edited by giddyup

I have never seen a Thai reading a book.

That says more about the Thais you associate with, than it does about Thailand.

Mrs bendix buys 5-6 books a month, and I'm not talking about trash - Thai fiction like Chart Korbjit, SEA winners and Thai translations of the books I've recommended that I think she would enjoy such as Jane Austen and Emily Bronte, more modern stuff like Murakami and Amy Tan. She also loves biography and history.

Would Mrs bendix by chance be a relative to MediumPaceBowler's GF ? rolleyes.gif

And yes, you're probably right about my Thai associates. They mostly read the Muai Thai and football statistics/results/odds in a newspaper.

No she wouldn't.

She comes from a rural background, with no parents (one died while she was 8, the other scarpered and left her with aunts).

But coming from a deprived background doesnt preclude people from seizing opportunities to better themselves. Nor does poverty equate to lack of curiousity or intelligence.

I'm not sure what your point is here. The links you provided are confirming the fact that Thais aren't great readers. What is the relevance of your comment I don't go sneaking about at night any more, I have many Thai friends and believe it or not I get invited to visit sometimes. Try again: ? Where do I come across as being slightly indignant, I think you are reading more into my comments than are there.

sorry I was referring to a previous poster, a fact that you could readily verify if you go back in the posts a bit. Sorry

She comes from a rural background, with no parents (one died while she was 8, the other scarpered and left her with aunts).

But coming from a deprived background doesnt preclude people from seizing opportunities to better themselves. Nor does poverty equate to lack of curiousity or intelligence.

Yes, in my experience a certain subset of those with truly deprived childhoods are very keen on striving for a more secure life, sometimes even when the rest of the family is content with their lot.

While many if not most of those handed everything on a silver platter by their wealthy parents are spoiled for life if their family circumstances ever change.

Give me an ambitious peasant over a lazy trust fund baby anytime. . .

• Like 1

I have brought some English language books over for my Thai GF from Australia. She still has some problems reading books in English but seems to like them well enough. She would own more English language books than Thai language books. .

In Australia, when I was poor and living hand to mouth, I still bought plenty of books, but the difference was I could get them very very cheap. The network of charity shops, garage sales, church/school fetes, all supplied a variety of fiction and non fiction for under $1 a book. Living around Inner city Sydney you would often find box loads of books in back laneways discarded when people were moving house I gave away around 200 literary titles to a friend when i moved house once. I don't know what they had cost me over time but it would have been less than $1 a book I am sure.

I haven't seen similar situations in Thailand. The books in the shops are not expensive for me, but they would be for my GF. I think given access to cheap books, or as cooked mentioned, libraries, she would read more.

Edited by BookMan

I have brought some English language books over for my Thai GF from Australia. She still has some problems reading books in English but seems to like them well enough. She would own more English language books than Thai language books. .

In Australia, when I was poor and living hand to mouth, I still bought plenty of books, but the difference was I could get them very very cheap. The network of charity shops, garage sales, church/school fetes, all supplied a variety of fiction and non fiction for under $1 a book. Living around Inner city Sydney you would often find box loads of books in back laneways discarded when people were moving house I gave away around 200 literary titles to a friend when i moved house once. I don't know what they had cost me over time but it would have been less than $1 a book I am sure.

I haven't seen similar situations in Thailand. The books in the shops are not expensive for me, but they would be for my GF. I think given access to cheap books, or as cooked mentioned, libraries, she would read more.

It's pretty hard to find secondhand bestsellers that have been translated into Thai. I have bought my Thai lady quite a few new books, but the cost is probably on a par with the rest of the world at around 300-400 baht.

Every time i frequent B2K stores here there's always many Thais sitting down reading. At some places ive seen a coffee stall within the shop area where people sit down "borrowing" books while having a coffee.

It seems the businesses don't really care about the practice anyway, and since they provide chairs right beside the aisles, it would seem to be encouraged. If it was any majour concern to them you would think they'd remoove the chairs.

I find this sort of thing is a refreshing change from life in west. There seems to be some sort of empathy for the "have nots" or at least some tolerance towards them.

In Australia i once saw a supermarket checkout girl ask a lady "Are you gunna buy that magazine or wot?, its not a library"..and this while the shopper was waiting in line at the chckout.

Its a bit like the vendors who walk around selling snacks to people sitting in restauants. Any restaurant owner in any other country would go ballistic at the pracrice.

Edited by ozzieovaseas