Farang Guy Asking For Money In Lobby Of Chiang Mai Ram

chiangmaibruce

I have read about farang asking for money down in BKK but I don't think I have encountered it before here in Chiang Mai. You know the ones that start with a story about how they've had some mishap, people sending them fund transfer had a problem (blah, blah) and now not even money for food.

Anyway I had to wait for someone for more than an hour in the lobby of the Chiang Mai RAM hospital yesterday and was approached in this manner. The guy was probably late 50's, french accent, slim build, curly hair. I told him a story that was even sadder than his and went back to my book. When I next looked up he had disappeared and didn't show himself again while I was there. Is this guy a regular feature at the RAM?

It is probably the French guy who has been conning tourists for many years in CM.

that french guy approached me 2 yr ago when i was trawling the banks, to see who would open an account for me; he was waiting outside the bank opposite ksk, he was giving me a tale about needing a flight ticket as his visa had expired. ....I told him to go to immigration and ask to be deported...(sensible place to stand though, outside the bank)

Personally, if he approaches me, I will ask where can I buy the best burger in Chiang Mai. I'm sure the following conversation will bore him so much he won't approach me again.

Please don't start a similar conversation here - it's equally as boring. biggrin.png

Many years ago, that French guy could not speak English, so the first thing he would do is ask if his marks could speak French before launching into his tale. I would guess that he has picked up some English by now as it increases the money earning possibilities.

This same guy was working his scam in the downstairs area of Airport Central Plaza outside Macdonalds a week ago asking persons passing by with a sad story about having run out of money and needs money to get home. He was only asking westerners for $$$s.

Yeah only recently i was approached by this guy at Airport Plaza, don't know whether it's the same guy...asking for 2000 baht or a loan...with his scam story, told him i would be happy if he can spare me 100 baht for my lunch....he just pissed off...crazy.gif

The first thing he said was to ask me whether I could speak french or english

Thank god I don't speak English (or French). It usually keeps those pesky Indian tailors in Bangkok off my back although one in ten will ask what language do you speak but since I don't speak English, I don't feel obliged to answer.

Thanks for the heads up. Ill make sure to have something creative in mind, if i ever bump into him.

I always wear a dress shirt and dress slacks when I'm out and about. I'll just tell him I spent my last baht on proper clothes for job hunting. biggrin.png

Or I could just point at my sandals with socks and he will know I'm too strange to talk with anymore.

• Like 2

He is clean and looks like an average citizen and scores regularly. My guess is that he does well because he does not look like a beggar, so many tourists think that he must be telling the truth about being robbed or whatever his story is that day.

i first encountered frenchie on silom road in about 1996 or 97, and a few years later in chiangmai. always the same rap. he's still around, and so am i.

That long, amazing, I wonder what his real story is?

There are many like him crawling the sois of Koh Samui and Phuket (and one would imagine all over Bangkok) looking for prey. Once when I was on Koh Samui I was approached by a guy - I think he was Australian but I am not 100% sure and it doesn't really matter, who had a similar story, i.e. lost his passport, was waiting for a transfer, needed to get to BKK, etc., etc. He was well dressed and groomed and was very convincing. Later that day I saw him again and he was still working the tourists. A local told me that he had been on Koh Samui for about 5 years living off of the proceeds of his scam. He had me fooled but I didn't part with any money.

But would those gullible tourists give some loose change to the genuine afflicted people you see dragging themselves around on a skateboard or a single crutch stick.

I think not

Is our unsympathetic psyche to think "just get up off yer a**e and do something other than hold out a tin"

This guy albeit a despicabble leaching charater is a professional hustler, thats his job and he is more than likely successful and minted

Any pictures? Can call immigration police and see if this stain can be cleaned up from Chiang Mai.

Gee, that's a bit harsh. Just pay the man for his efforts. I usually donate in Zimbabwean dollars. When else do you get the chance to give away a trilion dollar note?

• Like 2

Does he have a work permit?

...or a visa? Why not give the Immi a call next time someone meet him?

I doubt whether the police or Immigration would be interested. They would probably have a go at the person reporting him for disturbing them while they were having their lunch.

I have been in these situations from both where Thais and farangs have approached me for money. I just smile and say; sorry not interested, then they usually walk away and try the next mug.

I think in most cases these people have drug addictions or are mentally challenged. Most are quite harmless only committing a few seconds of irritation, no big deal.

• Like 1