Most Thai Students Afraid To Work In Other ASEAN Countries: Survey

webfact

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read every post and understood very little. Surely it is reasonable for the University to point out its findings and push for better support? Would it not also be reasonable to place Thailand towards the top of the ASEAN economic ladder?

Europe as an economic model is hardly the star in the firmament right now, and is on the verge of imminent collapse. The parallel with ASEAN is...?

That's not quite true. The Eurozone is experiencing problems due to excessive debt in a few countries. Some of this is due to not abiding by the fiscal rules put in place (Germany was first but is OK), some like Spain due to a property bubble which burst. The economic crisis in 2008 exposed this causing the problems we see now. Much should be learnt from this both in Asia and Europe. The European Union which is different from the eurozone also has problems but no more than could be expected with so many nations involved. It also creates the situation where the workers in one country find those from another country coming to do their jobs sometimes because they are cheaper. Of course if you have a large increase in your minimum wage but only apply it to your own nationals as Thailand seems to have done then you will get companies moving close to the border to take advantage of cheap foreign labour to which the law doesn't apply. I believe this is happening now.

• Like 1

If in fact Thailand is 'invaded' by the peoples of other ASEAN countries then the proud boast that the country was never colonised flies out of the window. To accommodate those less fluent in the World's international language, I should explain that colonisation has nothing to do with enemas, although for sure the Thai political scene is in dire need of one.

My experience of the Thai work ethic is that when given a job to do, especially one where they thoroughly understand what is required, they work very hard at it. The problem is that they do not seem to have the ability to see what the next or follow on job will be, and make a start on it or even suggest that they do. Self starting is not one of their fortes, perhaps because they don't want to think too much - or ever had the freedom to do so.

My Thai GF speaks perfect English

Well she can speak 3 sentences

"You are a handsome man"

"Would you like me to cook you dinner"

"lift your feet while I clean floor"

Just wait until she learns to say "Not tonight, I have headache." giggle.gif

Edited by Bagwan
  • Like 1

My Thai GF speaks perfect English

Well she can speak 3 sentences

"You are a handsome man"

"Would you like me to cook you dinner"

"lift your feet while I clean floor"

Just wait until she learns to say "Not tonight, I have headache." giggle.gif

I bet she knows, "no money no honey"

After generations of Thais looking at their ASEAN neighbors as dogs, bringing them here for horrible work in worse working conditions, exploiting, beating and even killing them, I would be a bit weary of how they might be treated as well.blink.png

• Like 2

I read every post and understood very little. Surely it is reasonable for the University to point out its findings and push for better support? Would it not also be reasonable to place Thailand towards the top of the ASEAN economic ladder?

So that Thais can be more convinced of their own eternal greatness and further wallow in complacence and general ignorance? Is it the newspaper's/university's job to pat Thais and Thailand on the back and to further the perception in the Kingdom that Thailand is better than all its neighbors?

• Like 1

Europe as an economic model is hardly the star in the firmament right now, and is on the verge of imminent collapse. The parallel with ASEAN is...?

That's not quite true. The Eurozone is experiencing problems due to excessive debt in a few countries. Some of this is due to not abiding by the fiscal rules put in place (Germany was first but is OK), some like Spain due to a property bubble which burst. The economic crisis in 2008 exposed this causing the problems we see now. Much should be learnt from this both in Asia and Europe. The European Union which is different from the eurozone also has problems but no more than could be expected with so many nations involved. It also creates the situation where the workers in one country find those from another country coming to do their jobs sometimes because they are cheaper. Of course if you have a large increase in your minimum wage but only apply it to your own nationals as Thailand seems to have done then you will get companies moving close to the border to take advantage of cheap foreign labour to which the law doesn't apply. I believe this is happening now.

To take this subject further.

The European union has been an outstanding success in terms of political and democratic achievement, remember it was not too long ago that Spain was a fascist dictatorship and half of Europe was a communist bloc run from the Kremlin, so the change over the last 40 years is astounding, and still continues today with more countries wishing to join.

The Euro project, with a set of binding rules for fiscal stability, was torpedoed by France and Germany when it did not fit their domestic policies and the direct result can be seen in the Greek crisis - they only have themselves to blame

This should be a lesson to ASEAN (it was only two tears ago that there was talk of an ASEAN currency union, and even the Japanese offered to put the Yen into this), and so the ASEAN project will be more of a free trade bloc than a political union.

Where ASEAN can learn from Europe is the tough actions taken on ensuring that free market rules and competition is adhered to, and any infringement can be taken to a higher court than the national parliaments and stiff fines levied.

When Denmark joined the EU it had 200% taxes on imported cars that had to be abolished - sound familiar??

The danger for ASEAN will be too little regulation and penalties, allowing countries to maintain protective barriers and justified by "saving face in not criticising a neighbour".

Added to this there needs to be a very tough anti-corruption legislation at ASEAN level, which would take the prosecution out of the hands of national governments where it concerns pan-national trade - i.e. a Singapore company paying a bribe to a Thai official - and both parties being sentenced.

A functional free market and tough regulation would be a welcome wake-up call to Thai companies and politicians alike.

Crobe

• Like 1

Concepts of equality of all people top to bottom(Thai and non Thai and farang), even in judicial matters, outlawing monopolies and corruption would have to be accepted, not likely that will happen anytime soon in Thailand.

My country is good,not perfect yet,just as no country can claim to be perfect either. I know the areas i disagree with my Thais brothers and sisters. but then we have to keep trying. I have been to 17 countries of the world,and i see how life is in those countries,so my views on things has got to be different

it might just be only me saying this but all the talk about ASEAN and thai's in 2015

1. first of all 2015 is more than 2 1/2 years away

2. before regarding asean lets take into effect that a lot of good and bad events both domestically and internationally will happen during these 2 1/2 years that can change the landscape

3. with thailand its hard to know what type of environment this country will turn into during the present to 2015

I look forward to the postings on the matter

Well, they are thai, foreign educated, often bilingual and can now work anywhere in asean, have no visa or foreign work paperwork requirements.

To the extent they have the opportunity to work in their other home country they'd usually be much better off there, with the possible exception of Singapore.

To take this subject further.

The European union has been an outstanding success in terms of political and democratic achievement, remember it was not too long ago that Spain was a fascist dictatorship and half of Europe was a communist bloc run from the Kremlin, so the change over the last 40 years is astounding, and still continues today with more countries wishing to join.

The Euro project, with a set of binding rules for fiscal stability, was torpedoed by France and Germany when it did not fit their domestic policies and the direct result can be seen in the Greek crisis - they only have themselves to blame

This should be a lesson to ASEAN (it was only two tears ago that there was talk of an ASEAN currency union, and even the Japanese offered to put the Yen into this), and so the ASEAN project will be more of a free trade bloc than a political union.

Where ASEAN can learn from Europe is the tough actions taken on ensuring that free market rules and competition is adhered to, and any infringement can be taken to a higher court than the national parliaments and stiff fines levied.

When Denmark joined the EU it had 200% taxes on imported cars that had to be abolished - sound familiar??

The danger for ASEAN will be too little regulation and penalties, allowing countries to maintain protective barriers and justified by "saving face in not criticising a neighbour".

Added to this there needs to be a very tough anti-corruption legislation at ASEAN level, which would take the prosecution out of the hands of national governments where it concerns pan-national trade - i.e. a Singapore company paying a bribe to a Thai official - and both parties being sentenced.

A functional free market and tough regulation would be a welcome wake-up call to Thai companies and politicians alike.

Crobe

Thanks. Well put.

• 1 month later...

snapback.pngNotstupid30, on Today, 10:06 , said:

Thailand, Cambodia investigate allegations that Cambodian troops fired on Bangkok Airways jet

http://www.washingto...13gW_story.html

A anonymous source, Bangkok Airways says it has no report of such incident ...

It wouldn't be the first time that the local press has been manipulated by a a group lead by a person who has been convicted for fraud and defamation

Why would Bangkok Airways have any report if the Pilot etc. were unaware of any alleged shooting incident ????