Expert: Major Flood To Recur This Year, But Less Devastating

Lite Beer

Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA)
Bugger the floods, I'm waiting for the press release on their progress with the space program. :rolleyes:

I seem to recall a conference several years ago, where the assembled might of Thai space-science proudly announced, that there would be a Thai-national in space, within a decade of the all-expenses-paid gathering.

Strangely I haven't seen any further progress reported, how odd. cool.png

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bugger the floods, I'm waiting for the press release on their progress with the space program. rolleyes.gif

What do you want to know??

When's the Thai shuttle to the ISS? rolleyes.gif

When is the British one?

I think these discussions should go to a new topic "Thai Space" and I will answer anyone there, to avoid confusing this thread

In the meantime the answer to your question, as for every other country, is "whenever the government funds it"

Edited by crobe

Bugger the floods, I'm waiting for the press release on their progress with the space program. rolleyes.gif

What do you want to know??

When's the Thai shuttle to the ISS? rolleyes.gif

When is the British one?

I dunno, but I dare say the nice folks on BritVisa.com could probably answer all your Brit related queries there. :rolleyes:

Apparently they have a share in IKEA, with all their space saving furniture.

• Like 1

I've been back in Bangkok now since December and I've been driving around quite a lot the last few months. During my last trip to Chaeng Wattana I had a good look around Don Muaeng, Laksi, Vibhavadi-Rangsit Rd, Bang Sue and a few other areas but couldn't see any of these big water protection projects that the government has promised these people anywhere!! Does anybody know of any projects that have started? Or was this all a big lie again?

Up north they have been busy working on cleaning up the banks for the rivers. Removing the trees and making things smoother will help flow, however I have noticed then taking from the banks and dumping it into the river bed increasing the level and making it more likely to flood. Also after the last big rain or two the bare dirt river banks are eroading into the river

Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA) Executive Director Dr. Anond Snidvongs has told that all related agencies and people must be prepared for another flood threat. He is certain that major floods will happen later this year, but the extent will not be as severe as last year’s crisis.

Ojojoj, smart guy.... "major floods will happen" Yes I agree, It happens EVERY year up here in Isaan So that is not any news for the rest of us.. Than... "But not as severe as last year" ojoj big prediction I may say...

I think it is a lot of bullcrap that many of these amatour-cheifs and politicians are allowed to present to the public....

Glegolo

Miracle Thailand bud...I agree...

From Thailand Live Thursday 31st of May #23:

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, on Wednesday, chaired the closing ceremony of the drainage and sewerage improvement project in Bangkok and nearby provinces, which has been completed earlier than scheduled.

The PM stated that the government's preparation for this year's rainfall has been 50% completed in upstream areas and all related ministers will be instructed to work with concerned provincial governors to speed up the works.

At the same time, planned projects in downstream areas have achieved about 80%, according to the Premier.

From Thailand Live Thursday 31st of May #23:

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, on Wednesday, chaired the closing ceremony of the drainage and sewerage improvement project in Bangkok and nearby provinces, which has been completed earlier than scheduled.

The PM stated that the government's preparation for this year's rainfall has been 50% completed in upstream areas and all related ministers will be instructed to work with concerned provincial governors to speed up the works.

At the same time, planned projects in downstream areas have achieved about 80%, according to the Premier.

Could we have some details please. Which important projects have been completed and which not. And what is the status of the only long term solution to Bangkok's flooding problems, namely the planned large diversion channel(s) from Chao Phraya river to the sea?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been back in Bangkok now since December and I've been driving around quite a lot the last few months. During my last trip to Chaeng Wattana I had a good look around Don Muaeng, Laksi, Vibhavadi-Rangsit Rd, Bang Sue and a few other areas but couldn't see any of these big water protection projects that the government has promised these people anywhere!! Does anybody know of any projects that have started? Or was this all a big lie again?

There's some construction work going on around Don Muaeng - Rangsit area, looks like concrete road walls along the pavement. It's half a meter tall, maybe that's got something to do with those projects... Sewers are being (cleaned?) here and there but half-an-hour rain still result in an ankle-high water in some areas along Vibhavadi-Rangsit Rd.

There are indeed a few small and meaningless projects going on around town but the state of the art engineering projects that were going to make Thailand look like Japan have all been forgotten it seems until the river is flowing through peoples living rooms again. Do Thai people never get fed up with their leaders/governments promising them a better life and never delivering it? Why do they wait until the water is waist high again to complain about it? It baffles me

A nation of rice farmers in suits is why. We should not expect less.

Probably they are right. In reality they don't really know for sure untill the last. It is reasonable to say Thailand is better prepared this year to deal with major floods than the last year. The potential problem that has to be monitored closely is that after a few years the pain of the the 2011 floods may be dissappeared. Water management authorities may take for granted such major floods could not happen, until they are too late to realize that such attitude does not pay.

Edited by ResX

I seem to recall a conference several years ago, where the assembled might of Thai space-science proudly announced, that there would be a Thai-national in space, within a decade of the all-expenses-paid gathering.

Strangely I haven't seen any further progress reported, how odd. cool.png

Strangely enough, I seem to have met quite a few Thai space cadets in my years here. Nice people.

"SPACE CADET

A person who tends to space out often. He or she does not respond when directly spoken to. The space cadet is not necessarily a person of low intelligence or a heavy drug user, but rather one who is so easily lost in reverie that he or she loses all awareness of the surrounding physical world."

Urban Dict.

• Like 2