Thailand's Intellectual Property Dept Wins Global Award For Its Crackdown On Piracy

webfact

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing is that they don't sense their growing importance among international criminals and deviants, and the general neglect from more wholesome tourists. The Chinese love Thailand: you can eat tiger genitalia, sit by the beach, and enjoy discount fellatio. Amazing Thailand. Miracle Thailand.

Thailand is a joke a minute.

I cannot believe the word INTELLECTUAL is in their vocabulary.

But it is in their Thai - English dictionary, at least in the index, it points to page 837, which says "This page is left intentionally blank"

Along with the definition of Integrity, Accountability, Honesty and Responsibility.

N.B. This isn't intended as a slur on all Thais, just a select few.

Edited by Thaddeus

The Nation... GACG informal network of of national and regional IP protection and enforcement organisations which have a strong international dimension to their activities. There are currently 22 members covering nearly 40 Countrieslike Belgium, India, France, the US and China, plus direct informal contacts with many more national and industry associations.

"Global Anti-Counterfeiting Group" is A non-profit organsiation, registered in France.

Total number of members that are natural persons: 0

Number of member organisations: 0

http://ec.europa.eu/...=60838305695-30

Any source for the award claim? Anyone?

Edited by Morakot

Ahhh so this is why you were crying to Uncle Sam about Lady Gaga, didn't want your trophy taken off you. cheesy.gif

There has been a decrease in sellers around Bangkok over the last decade. Places i've noticed that they no longer sell copy cloths is pratnam and pantip doesn't have way near as many copy stalls that it did 10 years ago. That place was littered wall 2 wall with software and game stalls. I've also had the unpleasant pleasure of walking around platinum fashion mall and hadn't seen a single or worth your time copy in the place.

Maybe im crazy and have the Thai blind fold on, and everything's roses w00t.gif

The Nation... GACG informal network of of national and regional IP protection and enforcement organisations which have a strong international dimension to their activities. There are currently 22 members covering nearly 40 Countrieslike Belgium, India, France, the US and China, plus direct informal contacts with many more national and industry associations.

"Global Anti-Counterfeiting Group" is A non-profit organsiation, registered in France.

Total number of members that are natural persons: 0

Number of member organisations: 0

http://ec.europa.eu/...=60838305695-30

Any source for the award claim? Anyone?

Thanks for that, good research.

Other interesting points......

Number of persons engaged in activities falling under the scope of the Transparency Register

Number of persons:

Financial data

Financial year: 09/2010 - 08/2011 Total budget: 8,000 € of which public financing: 0 € - from European sources: - Procurement: 0 € - Grants: 0 € - from national sources: 0 € - from local/regional sources: 0 € from other sources: 8,000 € - donations: € - contributions from members: 8,000 €

So one bloke with 8,000 Euro to waste hands out a Global Award.

What a joke.

(Wonder where he got the money from)

Edited by Thaddeus
  • Like 1

What a joke.

Yes, Mr John Anderson is the only person linked to GACG, according to the official EU source. (Budget does not necessarily mean cash, but e.g. 50 hours work at an estimated 80EUR hourly cost for being chairman, plus 4000EUR annual "office rent" for the spare bedroom...)

The question is did this one-man "network" really bestow an award, or is this a Nation or ministry story?

Edited by Morakot

What a joke.

Yes, Mr John Anderson is the only person linked to GACG, according to the official EU source. (Budget does not necessarily mean cash, but e.g. 50 hours work at an estimated 80EUR hourly cost for being chairman, plus 4000EUR annual "office rent" for the spare bedroom...)

The question is did this one-man "network" really bestow an award, or is this a Nation or ministry story?

Love it ! Thailand - Land of Laughs. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

"The award brings pride and confirms the success of the department and other agencies, of which concerted concerts are globally recognised. This award will inspire the department and others to further their crackdown activities," she said.

A. this HAS to be a joke....B. what the heck are concerted concerts

I think this has been translated into English. It was then proof read by someone who has a Masters Degree in English from a Thai University.

Before anyone gets angry I'm joking. well apart from the first bit.

Timing is everything !

I wonder how much it cost?

Considering time is money (even on a fake Rolex) - quite a bit I think. rolleyes.gif

The international multi-conglomerate powerhouse that is the GACG may be able to afford a new coffee maker now.

• Like 1

PIRATED CDS

Police seize counterfeit movies, CDs

The Nation

30183164-01_big.jpg

Tharit

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) on Wednesday announced raids on a major source of pirated movies and music CDs during which they seized counterfeits worth a total of Bt100 million.

DSI chief Tharit Pengsit said at the press conference that the DSI had searched eight pirate CD making locations and the suspected gang leader, Peera Korsuwansakul, had turned himself in to DSI investigators. The DSI was also investigating Peera's wife and two children, he said.

The department also wanted to arrest two other pirate CD making groups with whom Peera had worked, although it seemed that both groups had closed down production. Tharit also warned the gang's network of customers that they could face both criminal punishment and tax cases.

He said that Peera's group had operated for 10 years and the back taxes would be very high.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-30

So now they will tax crime? Surely they should seize all assets and pay the royalties. Introducing income and sales tax only legalises or condones copying. It always amazes me that the spates of crackdowns on copied goods staged for the TV cameras using road rollers crushing CDs and DVDs. I would not wonder if these were staged using rejects and damaged goods.

http://www.gacg.org/...ination2012.pdf

Strange that GACG has not officially announced the winners. In fact the PDF claims:

"The 2012 Awards ceremony will be held in Paris, France on 7 June

2012 on World Anti-Counterfeiting Day."

Mr John Anderson's one-man GACG band can't do all things at once: presenting the award and making an announcement. http://ec.europa.eu/transparencyregister/public/consultation/displaylobbyist.do?id=60838305695-30

No comment from the honourable ministerial department either, about their fantastic award. The Nation seems that have covered all... Not.

http://www.gacg.org/...ination2012.pdf

Strange that GACG has not officially announced the winners. In fact the PDF claims:

"The 2012 Awards ceremony will be held in Paris, France on 7 June

2012 on World Anti-Counterfeiting Day."

I wonder if GACG is going to take his seeing eye dog with him.

I bet he will - don't they need an audience for the award ceremony. :rolleyes:

This news is certainly a surprise. It would almost make me think that the GACG is a Thai invention – a self-created pat on the back.

I assume that there really has been a noticeable decrease in the number of hawkers offering pirated movies, music, and software. There should be, but it has nothing (or very little) to do with crackdowns. It’s simply a case of more and more people learning how to use things like bit torrents, so they can download the same (or often better) quality stuff without having to leave their house. I know people who haven’t bought any software, movies, or music for years, and they have virtually every title they want. Heck, I might even be one of those people, but I wouldn't be foolish enough to admit it publicly.

Edited by Wavefloater