Mri Scan Prices 2012

pop3

Ive been looking at prices of MRI scans on the forum but a lot of it is going back to 2008 prices. I have been quoted 26,000 baht + expenses ? for an MRI scan of the brain in Bangkok Pattaya.

Am I correct in thinking the only other place with MRI facility in Pattaya is International Hospital ?

Also has anyone had an MRI anywhere they would recommend ? smile.png

I had an MRI in Udon Thani at the MRI Center downtown on May 14th of this year for 10,000baht. 8,000baht for the scan and 2,000baht for the injection of traceable fluid (can't remember the name of it)

It was for a scan of my right hip, and took about 30 min. inside the machine

Maybe we get Isaan prices up north

I had an MRI in Udon Thani at the MRI Center downtown on May 14th of this year for 10,000baht. 8,000baht for the scan and 2,000baht for the injection of traceable fluid (can't remember the name of it)

Yes I'm sure you are right with your Isaan price. I think the Bangkok Pattaya hospital deserves a separate website all to itself just to handle the complaints of over pricing to the extreme and then some. it's a shame Pattaya does not have a fully equipped hospital without all the marble floors and leather seats but that's going off topic and it's been covered many times before.

Many thanks to the people who have commented here. smile.png

Wife needs to have one done on her shoulder so maybe this is a different price scale to having one done on your brain but for what it's worth this is what she told me earlier this week. At a government run facility near Victory Monument the cost is around 10,000 baht. Because this ends up being an all day event with a lot of waiting around (they don't take appointments) her doctor told her if she wanted to go somewhere more convenient then most private hospitals would charge up to 13,000 baht plus an additional 2,000 if she needed the fluid injection thing. I think she said she rang a couple of places and they quoted prices in line with what she was told.

• Like 1

Yes I'm sure you are right with your Isaan price. I think the Bangkok Pattaya hospital deserves a separate website all to itself just to handle the complaints of over pricing to the extreme and then some. it's a shame Pattaya does not have a fully equipped hospital without all the marble floors and leather seats but that's going off topic and it's been covered many times before.

Many thanks to the people who have commented here. smile.png

Without going completely off topic...if you carried proper medical insurance you wouldnt be complaining about the pricing of BPH,

I have been using it for years and never had a problem with the pricing..and my belief is the pricing is competative with other private hosptials in other parts of the word, but then again I carry proper medical insurance for both myself and wife..

Further my medical insurance has never once complained about the pricing at BHP and always paid my claims, so one assumes the pricing structure is in line with international norms for similar establishments internationally...

so yes please give me the marble floors and leather chair's and the free wifi etc...as long as the treatment is ok there I will keep going...

Prices differ between MRI alone and MRI with contrast. And also differ by hospital.

BTW the charges to fee paying clients and what insurance companies reimburse are usually not the same. Typically the insurance company negotiates a lower fee than an individual self-pay can get.

Prices differ between MRI alone and MRI with contrast. And also differ by hospital.

BTW the charges to fee paying clients and what insurance companies reimburse are usually not the same. Typically the insurance company negotiates a lower fee than an individual self-pay can get.

So another reason to have good medical insurance then ..biggrin.png

Without going completely off topic...if you carried proper medical insurance you wouldnt be complaining about the pricing of BPH,

Well, but then you might well be complaining about the pricing of the proper insurance.

Well, but then you might well be complaining about the pricing of the proper insurance.

Maybe so...but dont you think it makes perfect sense if someone is living in a foreign country with no recourse to free medical services ie the NHS or similar to carry half decent medical insurance ?....certainly for the older farangs living in Thailand....a basic medical insurance policy even from a "Thai" insurance company is not that expensive, considering where you could end up cost wise even from a Thai goverment hosptial if things went pear shaped

• Like 1

Actually for older farangs there may be no longer be an insurance option available. And to say a hospitals prices should not be questioned is, in my view, total nonsense - anyone should have that right - and should exercise it. And yes, I have insurance, but if I did not have prior to now (as many in countries where medical coverage is provided would not have) it would not be available at any price.

Actually for older farangs there may be no longer be an insurance option available. And to say a hospitals prices should not be questioned is, in my view, total nonsense - anyone should have that right - and should exercise it. And yes, I have insurance, but if I did not have prior to now (as many in countries where medical coverage is provided would not have) it would not be available at any price.

I am not suggesting dont question the prices, but at the same time shouldnt be coming out and saying BPH or other private hospitals are rip offs etc...

I suspect a lot of people making these sorts of statements have come from places with free medical services and have never had the experience of living somewhere were you have to provide your own insurance (or employer does) as if you didnt have it and landed in hospital you would be bankrupt very quickly due to costs, or ended up at some not very pleasant goverment hospital

My insurance is based out the UK and the times I have used it at BPH and Bangkok Rayong hospital the insurance asked me if this was the whole bill and were there more invoices coming as it seemed very cheap compared with private treatment in the UK.

I will stand by my statement that its appears to me very irresponsible for someone to move to a foreign country without adequate medical coverage and are not entitled to free or subsidised medical care by that country

• Like 1

I recently had an MRI of the whole spine and paid 17,000 baht. Although Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai would have been nearer, my consultant recommended the Udorn Medical Group in Lampang (Tel:054 323501-4). The service was good and they not only provided me with all the "x-rays" but also provided the data on a DVD and and a written report in English. If you have not had an MRI before bear in mind its a very noisy process!

This does not apply to foreign insurance companies paying Thai international hospitals like BPH.

The price for the foreign insurance company is several times more than the price for an individual.

Both prices are negotiable, but a foreign insurance company usually doesn't bother.

The individual's price can vary depending on nationality, race, residency and whim of the cashier.

Same in Vietnam, BTW.

And, yes, respectable insurance companies (eg Allianz) do complain about BPH's prices as private healthcare in Thailand is nowadays often a lot more expensive than in Europe or Singapore.

And, yes, respectable insurance companies (eg Allianz) do complain about BPH's prices as private healthcare in Thailand is nowadays often a lot more expensive than in Europe or Singapore.

and do you have a verifiable source for this info, as an insurance company wouldnt complain they just wouldnt contract in with BPH, in other words they wouldnt pay the claim or only pay what they thought the treatment was worth....so please provide a source of proper info that Allianz have complained, as my insurance based out the UK thinks they are relatively cheap compared with the UK..wink.png

Further one has to only go to BPH and say Bangkok Rayong hosptial and the places are jam packed with customers of all nationalities from all over the world...if these hosptials were truely that expensive surely they wouldnt have the customers they get through the door would they ?, basic ecomomic's ...they must be doing something right

It seems to me the people who get on TV bleating about the cost of private treatment are the ones that have come from a nanny type state were medical services were free, they moved to Thailand without making provision to cover medical services ie insurance

Edited by Soutpeel

• 1 month later...

I'm due to go in to BNH in Bangkok this week for a Brain MRI (MRI + MRA + MRV - whatever that means!) - Late July 2012

I have been quoted 15,000 thb for the MRI plus an additional 4,000thb for the traceable fluids - the Hospital is working with the Insurance company now to pre-approve the claim.

On a side note - this is my first time for me (MRI virgin here!) - what does it feel like? One poster says its noisey, what does the traceable fluid do to you? will i be pee'ing purple for a day or two after? Little bit nervous, both due to the condition they are investigating and the whole MRI thing! :(

You will be inside a sort of pod-like machine and it will be very noisy and you'll need to lie still. there is microphone connection between you and the technicians so they can give you instructions and you can tell them is you have a problem.

For the contrast media, no, you won't pee a different color. it is essential that you tell them of any allergies you have, though, as some people are allergic to it. Also if you have any impairment of liver or kidney.

Some people complain of transient fever and/or muscle aches after the injection, usually just for a few hours to a day. Most people have no complaints at all.

I assume you already know of the need to tell them if you have any metallic devices implanted anywhere in your body.

It is really not a bad experience, just annoying, except for people suffering from severe claustrophobia.

• Like 2

It seems to me the people who get on TV bleating about the cost of private treatment are the ones that have come from a nanny type state were medical services were free, they moved to Thailand without making provision to cover medical services ie insurance

Yes and No. Thailand is expensive compared to many countries close by for medical treatment,over 65 and medical insurance cover is unobtainable or priced out of range.

I travel to Malaysia or India for treatment,the MRI scan for me using latest state of the art equipment was about $70,might have been less ,forget now ,was last year too.

• Like 1

You will be inside a sort of pod-like machine and it will be very noisy and you'll need to lie still. there is microphone connection between you and the technicians so they can give you instructions and you can tell them is you have a problem.

For the contrast media, no, you won't pee a different color. it is essential that you tell them of any allergies you have, though, as some people are allergic to it. Also if you have any impairment of liver or kidney.

Some people complain of transient fever and/or muscle aches after the injection, usually just for a few hours to a day. Most people have no complaints at all.

I assume you already know of the need to tell them if you have any metallic devices implanted anywhere in your body.

It is really not a bad experience, just annoying, except for people suffering from severe claustrophobia.

I dont have any metal in my body, that i am aware of - but no they havent asked me anything yet (appt on Friday)

I have some mild allergies to Amoxicillin but nothing else. The liver is evil and is punished on a regular basis, but i guess that doesnt count as an imparement :)

Thanks for the info tho, appreicate you taking the time to spell it out for me :)

I had an MRI with contrast of the brain and C-spine about eight months ago at Sriphat Hospital (semi-private/regional hospital) in Chiang Mai, the cost was nine thousand Baht including the consultants fee.

• 5 weeks later...