Chiang Mai To Hong Kong Connection

bjohn34

Am looking to fly to Hong Kong soon and only connection appears to be through Bangkok with best fare on Bangkok Air connecting with Emirates.

If I use these flights, does anyone now if can I clear Thai immigration in Chiang Mai with bag checked all the way through ?

Thanks

if you book with bangkok air thru to HK, they might let you check in at CM all the way thru. Friends from USA who used bangkok air, connecting in BKK to usa, had their bags checked all the way thru from CNX to SFO.

It doesn't answer your question, but have you considered going via Macau?

9775 baht Bangkok Airways & Emirates. 21 hours and 45 minutes.

3990 baht Air Asia direct CNX to Macau. 2h40m. Ferry to HK every 15 minutes - 570 baht, and about an hour.

Edited by jamesbrock

3990 baht Air Asia direct CNX to Macau. 2h40m. Ferry to HK every 15 minutes - 570 baht, and about an hour.

Yes the return flight is a bind but I tend to stay in Bangkok/Pattaya for a few nights.

I'm doing the CNX Macau in August for a change.

Yes the return flight is a bind but I tend to stay in Bangkok/Pattaya for a few nights.

I'm doing the CNX Macau in August for a change.

Return is only 11h55m. But, yes, if you can plan a little break in between it's not so unbearable.

intheclub.gif

Flew the CNX-BKK-HKG route with Bangkok/Emirates last month, bags checked all the way through and cleared immigration in CNX. Managed to get business class for $100 extra on Expedia, not sure why but enjoyed excellent lunch in BKK Emirates lounge and the business seats on the A380 to HKG.

If you can wait till 1 July jump on the DragonAir direct 3hr flight each day CNX-HKG, 6.20pm outbound, 3.05pm inbound.

Expedia shows 6hr35min for CNX/BKK/HKG. Am considering Macau also.

Is that the time for the Bangkok Airways & Emirates. 21 hours and 45 minutes or a mistake.

How long to get to the ferry from the air port in Macau.

Is that the time for the Bangkok Airways & Emirates. 21 hours and 45 minutes or a mistake.

The 6hrs 35mins quoted above is the correct duration, the return leg is around 11 hrs due to Emirates flight timings. Personally I would go Bangkok/Emirates out and Macau with Air Asia inbound unless I could fly in July and then DragonAir is a better choice.

Macau-HK island ferry terminal about 20-25 minutes. Macau -Tuen Mun ferry terminal about 5-10 minutes.

Macau-HK island ferry terminal about 20-25 minutes. Macau -Tuen Mun ferry terminal about 5-10 minutes.

OP, pardon me for piggybacking on your thread. I am actually flying to Macau from Bkk, then onward to HK via ferry in 2 weeks. Will return back to Bkk from Macau also. I'm hoping some good fellas might answer my following questions.

1. Do you need a visa to Macau for American passport holders? I know HK doesn't.

2. How far is the ferry terminal from the airport and what's the normal transport from the airport to the ferry terminal? Do ferry to Tuen Mun and HK Island use the same terminal?

Oops! Correct. I got my time from Skyscanner last night - because I used yesterday's date for the search, it only returned the available flights - pretty clever... (Skyscanner, not me)

OP, pardon me for piggybacking on your thread. I am actually flying to Macau from Bkk, then onward to HK via ferry in 2 weeks. Will return back to Bkk from Macau also. I'm hoping some good fellas might answer my following questions.

1. Do you need a visa to Macau for American passport holders? I know HK doesn't.

2. How far is the ferry terminal from the airport and what's the normal transport from the airport to the ferry terminal? Do ferry to Tuen Mun and HK Island use the same terminal?

1) Visa not required

2) Macau airport (Taipa Island) to ferry terminal by taxi.The HK & Tuen Mun ferry terminals are together on the mainland about 20 minutes drive. Ferries to HK run about every 20 minutes.

There is another ferry that basically services the Venetian Hotel and maybe other hotels on Coloane Cotai Strip but I am not sure about that one.