Alcoholics Anonymous

Dodeskaden

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

What is an AA meeting like? Is it the stereotypical "Hi! My name is Bob and I've been....."?

Also I notice the meetings are held in churches, I trust there is no "find help with the lord" nonsense. Nothing would make me reach for a large home measure quicker.

What is an AA meeting like? Is it the stereotypical "Hi! My name is Bob and I've been....."?

Also I notice the meetings are held in churches, I trust there is no "find help with the lord" nonsense. Nothing would make me reach for a large home measure quicker.

There is a small amount of Christianity in AA meetings as they say the Lords Prayer at the end of the meeting. If you look at the twelve steps one of them is about giving up control of your life to a higher power. The higher power can be anything from God to the AA group. I think you have to realize when most people come into AA they are at the bottom of the ladder and their lives have turned into muck. No one will bother you at the meeting if you just want to go and have a cup of coffee and listen. In any event you will hear some very interesting stories. The members get up and tell about what their lives were like before they found AA and afterwards.

My favorite story was from a FAC (forward air controller) he flew little planes low and slow to direct fire of the jet bombers. Everybody on the ground shot at the little planes and a well placed slingshot hit could bring them down. As a result of this the pilots flew very erratically altering course ever 30 seconds or so. He said the other pilots did it on purpose he did it because he was drunk and couldn’t fly in a straight line.

There's a huge amount of stuff about the AA on the net - both in Thailand and other countires. I read it extensively and decided it wasn't for me. It wsn't only the religous thing that put me off; it's the whole American style of it that seems to go against my reserved English nature. There was a huge convention of AA members in Pattaya recently, but quite frankly it sounded frightening - like one of those never ending business seminars I used to attend.

I'm not knocking the AA - I know it does a huge amount of good for a lot of people, but I guess it doen't suit everyone.

I'm into my fifth month of abstinence and going strong, with no help from anyone. I've even been out a few times to bars and other establishments, alone, with friends and with the family. Everyone drinks except me, and I've felt fine.

Each to his own I guess. :o

Thanks for your frank replies. I will have to give it a miss. Just the idea of being asked to say a prayer would make me very uncomfortable. It may be of help to the deluded to ask thin air for help but I need something more earthy.

Any other suggestions would help. I'm not convinced I am at that point yet but I may be waiting for the bus to take me there.