Central Samui

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so, how about lying in a hammock under 15m high palm trees with bunches of coconuts at the top swinging around in the sea breeze.

At least that's why we...ehm...the most...ehm....some are here.

• Like 1

Wifey and I went there for an hour yesterday just to buy one item. We were both impressed.

We thought that the range of shops was better than anything else on Samui, and wifey loved the idea of a real shop in the women's wear department. She is off work next week and has already booked her parking spot! Wifey actually said "I cannot belove that I am on Samui - this is great!"

I quite fancy trying some of the food places.

I think that some of you need to realise that cheapest is not always the best. whistling.gif I wear 99 baht flip flops. 129 baht shorts from Tesco, but a $2,000 watch!

There is no way that I will buy a T shirt or shorts from Central - but other stuff - for sure. Certainly a nice smart long sleeved shirt for if I ever have to see Mr Nok again facepalm.gif

AND the Japanes, Korean, Chinese, Russian guests will love it there. (So will a lot of our neighbours.)

From our side - a big thumbsup.gif to Central

But bar a couple of shops its just the same as Tesco and BigC!!! laugh.png

All in all Central Festival Samui is for a tourist seeking for clothes, perfume, a mobile phone, an ATM and a standard meal. For an expat it offers nothing we didn't have already on the Island.

My son is going to love the arcade. smile.png

Another lift is behind the place on the second floor, where it is possible to get a free bag, if you have that certain shopping card, don't know, a shopping card on which you or your wife can collect points, if you shop and show that card at the cashier during payment....?

so you can find this place,where it is possible to get a free bag, if you have that certain shopping card, don't know, a shopping card on which you or your wife can collect points, if you shop and show that card at the cashier during payment....?, and walk towards the toilets and after that, voila, a lift.

I just cant see enough people frequenting this place once the novelty disappears, certainly not many of the 50,000 or so registered Thai's and cant see to many Farang residents parting with cash they dont have to. Tourists maybe so but then nobody comes to Samui for shopping not at a mall anyway.

I don't think this was opened on a whim. A lot of market research would have gone into it. They run several of these outside Bangkok.

They have the new ones Suratthani which is not tourist orientated, Hat Yai the latest one & it's a big one.

I really wouldn't under estimate the Thai spending power.As for tourists, Samui is no different the say Pattaya or Phuket for their shopping. Many people come from countries where such facilities or varieties are not available.

Hmmm - not sure about this line of thought.

Hat Yai Central is always busy but there is a huge ongoing influx from Malaysia, and Korean and Japanese tour buses incoming by the dozen. Plus it's in a conurbation of 800,000 residents.

Surat Thani likewise draws on an overall population of a million in the province.

Samui? Resident Thai pop of only 50,000. And certainly no mainland Thai is going to come here shopping. Alien residents . . . unknown, but a few thousand maybe? The only thing that makes sense is that the million tourists each year is the target.

That said, the million Samui tourists have to be examined. March/April very few here. October/November and half of December - ditto. So of the 125,000 tourists (on average) here in each month of the sigh season, I can't imagine all of them going to Central every day! A couple of time during their stay, yes. But tourists here have a hundred other distractions that Hat Yai doesn't offer, far better food elsewhere, and they can buy 'foreign' clothing at home anytime they want. And, tourists aside, Samui just doesn't have the catchment area of the Surat Central or Hat Yai or the constant Malaysia/Jap/Korean tourist presence of Hat Yai, too.

Which makes me wonder exactly why the Central market researchers opted for Samui, and exactly who they expect to be spending their money at the new store . . .

R

Edited by robsamui

Samui? Resident Thai pop of only 50,000. And certainly no mainland Thai is going to come here shopping. Alien residents . . . unknown, but a few thousand maybe? The only thing that makes sense is that the million tourists each year is the target.

You are forgetting all Thais here that are registered on a house book elsewhere.

To get to be a Samui resident you need to own a house or be written into someone else house book.

I just cant see enough people frequenting this place once the novelty disappears, certainly not many of the 50,000 or so registered Thai's and cant see to many Farang residents parting with cash they dont have to. Tourists maybe so but then nobody comes to Samui for shopping not at a mall anyway.

I don't think this was opened on a whim. A lot of market research would have gone into it. They run several of these outside Bangkok.

They have the new ones Suratthani which is not tourist orientated, Hat Yai the latest one & it's a big one.

I really wouldn't under estimate the Thai spending power.As for tourists, Samui is no different the say Pattaya or Phuket for their shopping. Many people come from countries where such facilities or varieties are not available.

I think you are probably right in as much as some kind of market research was done but i bet the feedback didn't say lets have a load more of what we've already got, and some of it at a higher price.

Best thing about the Central is the car park which was much needed. Having been once i just can't see any reason to go back although i remain in hope that their will be more outlets opening that will offer some quality foreign goods.

The shame for me is that i reckon there are more than enough people, thai and faring on the island with the money to spend on quality foreign product. So why is the current outlets on offer so dismally repetitive and mediocre?

You are forgetting all Thais here that are registered on a house book elsewhere.

To get to be a Samui resident you need to own a house or be written into someone else house book.

If that's the case then am I right to assume they have come here to work?

Central customers? Any spare money that have won't be spent at Central - it'll be going to pay off their super-cheapo governmental sponsored new-car loan!

R

Sometimes getting a profit may not be the only criteria. They may want to have a present on this island. Just to be able to show their portfolio that they have outlets in all the major tourist places.

In additional, seeing they're also promoting Bangkok Airways, it seems these 2 families may (literally?) be in bed with each other.

There are loads of new restaurants

more shops.

Sport shops that sells more stuff than the big c one.

i still do my food shopping for telcos but there are allot of new restaurants

as for parking it is not at as chaotic as Phuket

yes could do with a sony shop and a sizzles but it is new.

It is not an utter disappointment as walking street was empty in bohput last night which i like as not any cars blocking the road.

Which tells me they were in central.

I can park in central which gives me easy access to restsrantd that surround it on the chaweng beach road,

I would not go as far as to say utter disopintment. Just because it has some shops that we already have.

It could do with more but it is still early days at the moment.

I maybe 1 would prefer the crappy hanggling marked stalls that used to be in its place.

plenty of places to chill out and still plenty of places to hang a hammock on samui.

Sometimes i reckon it is in some people nature to criticise everything they come into contact with rather than looking at the whole picture

I cannot complain. it has cost me nothing. it looks better and i visit chaweng more often.

Mainly as the AIS shop moved their and i needed to do something in the shop/

Yes i would like a sony shop and a few more shops but they have not had one since i have been here so i can wait.

You also have to remember that these are sub shops that central rents to the other shops. So if theses other shops do not want to come then they cannot force them to set up shop there.

They sell out the space to who ever pays. so it is not the fault of central that these extra shops are not there but the architecture and the layout i have little faults.

could do with a roof but i don't know where they would stand on planing permission

From an expats' point of view, Central Festival Samui is a complete and utter disappointment.

• I was looking forward to finally have a real Central department store on the island so I don't have to travel to Phuket or Bangkok if I would like some quality cook ware or furniture etc. What do I get? Only clothing and some beauty products.
  • I was hoping for a well-assorted food store which offers a maybe wider variety of 'falang' stuff. Sadly TOPS offers even less than Big C, Makro and Tesco in terms of 'falang' specialties.
  • I checked the new PowerBuy. Some electronics at the lower floor and some domestic appliances at the upper floor. This is more or less equal to Sirisin we already have.
  • What else is there? Virtually every Bank has a branch there with some ATMs and every mobile shop I know is there too.
  • Restauranst? The usual suspects you can find in any other existing malls like KFC, Black Canyon, Swensens etc.
  • Parking? Chaotic to say the least. Some stairs to access the upper decks are closed.

All in all Central Festival Samui is for a tourist seeking for clothes, perfume, a mobile phone, an ATM and a standard meal. For an expat it offers nothing we didn't have already on the Island.

• Like 2

Even if it has all the dames shops as both

it is better to have them al under 1 building then spread out around smaui. that les driving about.can pay all bills, buy groceries in the same building. do all banking extra. in a cooler environment less stress.

Soemtimes i spend whole days driving around the island paying bills

Wifey and I went there for an hour yesterday just to buy one item. We were both impressed.

We thought that the range of shops was better than anything else on Samui, and wifey loved the idea of a real shop in the women's wear department. She is off work next week and has already booked her parking spot! Wifey actually said "I cannot belove that I am on Samui - this is great!"

I quite fancy trying some of the food places.

I think that some of you need to realise that cheapest is not always the best. whistling.gif I wear 99 baht flip flops. 129 baht shorts from Tesco, but a $2,000 watch!

There is no way that I will buy a T shirt or shorts from Central - but other stuff - for sure. Certainly a nice smart long sleeved shirt for if I ever have to see Mr Nok again facepalm.gif

AND the Japanes, Korean, Chinese, Russian guests will love it there. (So will a lot of our neighbours.)

From our side - a big thumbsup.gif to Central

But bar a couple of shops its just the same as Tesco and BigC!!! laugh.png

• Like 1

Allot of thais don't register as they go back home often and their families run for electrons so they want to keep their addresses from where they are from

some thais find finance harder also if they are not registered to samui and it is harder to chase the client if they run away with their car if for example they have run to chain rai or where ever they are from

If that's the case then am I right to assume they have come here to work?

Central customers? Any spare money that have won't be spent at Central - it'll be going to pay off their super-cheapo governmental sponsored new-car loan!

R

Edited by BigC

Just got back from being talked in to going for the first time. Much quieter than I expected.

Overall impression, attractive and well designed. General quality of finish good except for the walkways which were disgraceful, especially on the first floor.

Virtually all the 'market' stalls were for women only. (Maybe that's why they have 'ladies parking' at the Chaweng end of the car park. Wider lanes? Only joking! tongue.png )

The food hall was more expensive than Tesco/Big C, but on the other hand the portions were much bigger and quality higher, could be considered the main meal of the day rather than just a snack. Recommend Will Waits there, food same high standard as in Nathon.

Tops are selling large jars of Marmite for 289 baht for those who have read the mossie thread.rolleyes.gif

My gf spoke to the guys giving out tickets for motobike parking at the back of food court and they said that all of the parking area for bikes and next door will be the new cinema at some point!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

See patients people still

More room for more stuff

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Interesting connection/observation you make Sherlock C, walking street is not as busy as usual, so Central must be packed, right Watson?

I don't know about must but it was an assumption no doubt but a harmless one

As for the roof the cost of building in samui is very high compared to the mainland so i can assume they cut back on expense but not adding a roof but still spent the same amount as the other centrals

But my observation was fact that is was the least busiest that I have see. Walking street in bohput that is based on what I have seen

Interesting connection/observation you make Sherlock C, walking street is not as busy as usual, so Central must be packed, right Watson?

I don't know about must but it was an assumption no doubt but a harmless one

As for the roof the cost of building in samui is very high compared to the mainland so i can assume they cut back on expense but not adding a roof but still spent the same amount as the other centrals

But my observation was fact that is was the least busiest that I have see. Walking street in bohput that is based on what I have seen

also with walking street being so quiet and central just opened round the corner. It is a beleivable assumption

Liked what has completed is Phase 1

Phase two will include a 3D Cinema and this will be situated next to amusement Archade. Peep inside and you will see advertisement boards for the new cinema

Liked Wine Connection.

They have imported Aussie beef, Their 200grm Tenderloin is at 490 Bht and includes Mushrooms, Ragatoui, and potato wedges. sauces extra at 30bht. Puddings at 90-100 bht. (Crème Brule, Tiramisu etc). Tried it and cant knock it. Good value compared with other imported beef establishments. Wines by the bottle are also good value.

Sports Shop was a disappointment. They have missed an opportunity to include Golf Equipment. If they had done there homework they would have seen a market for this as I do not know of any Golf shop on the Island.

The 1 card has its limitations but does cover Tops Supermarket.

Would have liked to see more International outlets.

All in all a PASS with reservations

Edited by cowleyboy

I went there and loved it, I finally found an eco shop just at the food center exit selling what I couldn't find for years ! Amazing range of tea,essential oils and body care,hair care etc ... All chemicals free

post-88361-13967862101564_thumb.jpg

Edited by kurita
  • Like 2

Well I made in there this morning, for a quicky boo.... Much larger than I expected, I have to admit, ..... not bad for little ol' Samui... thumbsup.gif

Tops had a few things that Tesco no hab... but potatoes where an outrageous 69 baht a Kilo .... "shock pricing" w00t.gif

It was worth getting the discount card, I saved about 70 baht with that on other purchases .., prices really not much different than Tesco, a case of swings and roundabouts .... some things more some things less! .. but a few import items selection better ... They have Marmite, but guess they sold of Vegemite whistling.giftongue.png

They had a bit of a problem taking my credit card at Tops, but after asking for the manager, suddenly it worked facepalm.gif

Finding motor bike parking was a little confusing, one assumes they will make more signs...to the black hole for motorbike parking!

Must remember next time to not take the way out that leads through Lamden market street! bah.gif

Generally a good experience though! thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe they don't even have a gun shop to sell to forangs

With 9mm and 38's

How can I live with out my guns

It's just with out a gun I don't feel like I am real man

I shall have to make to with my extra strong arms, Muay Thai skills my extra large member

I had a walk through this morning and to be honest I was very surprised by the look and apparent high standard of the place.

It's a huge leap forward for Chaweng I think in terms of a higher quality of shops.

For tourists who like brand name shopping because of it's status then it's certainly going to appeal to them.

It's not somewhere I'd frequent, being a frequent visitor I come to Samui to escape such western style malls but I can certainly see the appeal for ex pats.

Is there another big mall / shopping / restaurant space planned for near Maenam, I saw some big banner on the ring road yesterday when I drove through.

• Like 1