Thai Soup, A Powerful Antioxidant

sabaijai

A daily bowl of "tom yum gung", Thailand's celebrated spicy shrimp soup, might help keep the doctor away, the Bangkok Post reported this week. According to the preliminary results of a Thai-Japanese study into the medicinal qualities of Thai cuisine, tom yum gung contains several anti-cancer properties that are more effective than other antioxidants, including vitamin C and the vitamin precursor betacarotene.

The study concluded that substances found in galanga, lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves - the main ingredients in the spicy soup - are 100 times more effective in inhibiting tumours than those found in other foods. Researchers at Thailand's Kasetsart University, who conducted the study with Kyoto and Kinki universities in Japan, claimed that the results confirmed "folk knowledge" and that traditional Thai cuisine, famed for its heavy use of herbs and spices, has long been known to have health benefits.

The researchers added that they had discovered a type of antioxidant, called 1'- acetoxychavicol acetate (ACA), in the soup's ingredients, which was 100 times more effective in blocking cancer growths than betacarotene - currently deemed the substance with the best cancer- fighting properties.

Research on tom yum gung and other well-known Thai dishes began in 1993 after a discovery by Japanese researchers that Thais have a much lower rate of cancer of the digestive tract than Japanese, Filipinos and Westerners.

Tom Yam

Funniest thing I ever saw was an American who ordered Tom Yam Kung at a restaurant in BKK. The staff asked him whether he wanted rice with it but he declined thinking TYK is a soup eaten the same way we eat soup in the west.

His food arrives & he digs straight in with a spoonfull of yummy broth.

First he gags,

then you see his face turning crimson,

finally followed by a little yelp as he grabs the nearest cold drink.

He had the hiccups for ages after that & the whole restaurant was cracking up by this stage!

He then had the nerve to claim that the waitress hadn't told him what to expect!!

I wonder if the anti-carcinogenic effects are as good in the version with 'nam khon' (added coconut milk). I know it doesn't help the cholesterol, but it's just sooooo good! :o

No worries, Mead, coconut milk has zero cholesterol. It gets a bad rap. Yes it contains saturated fat but the latest research suggests these may be offset by other components in coconut that lower cholestrol and provide other health benefits (there are even a couple of books out extolling the marvels of 'the coconut cure').

Also the amount of coconut milk added to make tom yam naam khon is typically only a couple of spoonfuls.

Still I prefer the old-fashioned naam sai version. Another very healthy Thai soup is tom khlong, which is getting pretty hard to find in Thai restaurants these days.

I eat Tom Yum Goong almost every day for lunch, creature of habit, if they have shrimp/squid, Tom Yum Gai if they do not. My local "shack" makes Tom Yum Goong w/ coconut milk, but Tom Yum Gai without, lots of mushrooms in both, 35 baht.

In the article it says:

The study concluded that substances found in galanga, lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves - the main ingredients in the spicy soup - are 100 times more effective in inhibiting tumours than those found in other foods.

however, like most people, I do not eat those benefical ingredients (galanga, lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves) so was wondering if you still get these benefits by just eating the soup?

In the article it says:

The study concluded that substances found in galanga, lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves - the main ingredients in the spicy soup - are 100 times more effective in inhibiting tumours than those found in other foods.

however, like most people, I do not eat those benefical ingredients (galanga, lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves) so was wondering if you still get these benefits by just eating the soup?

I think that's the point, that the soup (and many other Thai foods) contains the ingredients which are beneficial to your health. So yes, you still get the benefits from eating the soup!

A daily bowl of "tom yum gung", Thailand's celebrated spicy shrimp soup, might help keep the doctor away, the Bangkok Post reported this week. According to the preliminary results of a Thai-Japanese study into the medicinal qualities of Thai cuisine, tom yum gung contains several anti-cancer properties that are more effective than other antioxidants, including vitamin C and the vitamin precursor betacarotene.

The study concluded that substances found in galanga, lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves - the main ingredients in the spicy soup - are 100 times more effective in inhibiting tumours than those found in other foods. Researchers at Thailand's Kasetsart University, who conducted the study with Kyoto and Kinki universities in Japan, claimed that the results confirmed "folk knowledge" and that traditional Thai cuisine, famed for its heavy use of herbs and spices, has long been known to have health benefits.

The researchers added that they had discovered a type of antioxidant, called 1'- acetoxychavicol acetate (ACA), in the soup's ingredients, which was 100 times more effective in blocking cancer growths than betacarotene - currently deemed the substance with the best cancer- fighting properties.

Research on tom yum gung and other well-known Thai dishes began in 1993 after a discovery by Japanese researchers that Thais have a much lower rate of cancer of the digestive tract than Japanese, Filipinos and Westerners.

Tom Yam

I love the stuff and tried to make my own last week, much to my wifes amusement.

To improve the taste I ended up adding the two sachets one finds in the noodle packs in family mart which helped, but I have a long way to go yet. :o

I have also found that my tolerance for spiciness is double what it used to be.