Yellow Shirt Protests Force House To Adjourn Indefinitely

webfact

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a lot to learn about democraty here. People need to understand that being democratically elected does not give anybody the right to put themselves above the law. Changing law is not an option either on a long term.

Street protests are a legitimate tool, if lawfully conducted. Blocking PM's from entering their place of work is surely not lawful. Neither is blocking parts of the city and hindering ordinary businesses from doing their work.

Being in charge of running a country means also to respect the political minority as well as all groups in society. If a bill causes or is likely to cause a bigger rift in society, it should not be considered. Even though the majority could pass the bill.

Finally to TS, I believe he was convicted because he did something dishonest. He was not convicted because of his political agenda, believes and ideas. Really don't understand why an option for amnesty is even considered.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

TS did nothing more than many many Thai Politician are doing and have done, the only difference was he was singled out because he had too much power and was overthrown, but it all came around and the people voted him back in (via his sister)

Talk about a smack in the face LOL

POWER TO THE PEOPLE clap2.gif

Edited by DiamondKing

However the disruption that was done today would not of been allowed in a normal country and as soon as they blocked roads etc crowd control would of been put into effect and the police would clear the roads to allow access for MP's to get to work, not only that when was the last time you heard of a real government parliament cancelling meetings, because of protests.

In a "normal country" they have trained and professional riot police that have the skills to break up protests using the minimum amount of force necessary. They step in when protesters start breaking the law. Thailand doesn't have that trained and professional riot police, and at the moment, it doesn't need it.

PS THIS IS A DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED GOVERNMENT just in case you forgot that means the Majority of people in Thailand voted them in and right now the RICH MINORITY are again trying to disrupt the will of the majority of thai people.

P.P.S. Just because a government gets voted in, doesn't mean they get given carte blanche to do whatever they please. They have a responsibility not just to the people who voted for them, but for all Thais.

Well, it isn't as though they haven't seen events in the last few years as being reason to train some riot police. Curious actually, normally Thailand waits for a catastrophe to happen then they buy the equipment, pass the laws and get the training needed to solve the issue.

Of course, in this situation, all sides have a vested interest in keeping the Bangkok police absolutely impotent.

• Like 1

are you saying the previous Government did not have carte blanche come on you people Thai governments are all the same no matter what color shirts they are wearing

DK

I'm not the one arguing that because this government won the vote, that gives them the right to do as they please and anyone who disagrees should keep quiet because they are in the minority. That seems to be your position.

The People's Alliance for Democracy keeps trying to disrupt the democratic process and remove democratically elected leaders. I can only assume their name is some kind of attempt at humor.

I don't get involved in Thai politics, but I do think election results should be respected and elected officials allowed to do their jobs.

but I do think election results should be respected and elected officials allowed to do their jobs.

Completely agreed!

Now please explain why THIS government is doing anything but the job it's been elected for.. Such as minimum salary for ALL now, one kid one tablet NOW, 15,000 Baht/month salary for all degree holders, etc...etc...etc....

By doing what they are doing now, or trying to do, is way off their electoral promises and benefits only well you know who....

So, sorry but it's a duty to try to put them back on tracks or to remove them

"what they are doing now", or trying to do, is debating the reconciliation bill, which would require both sides to make unpleasant compromises. It probably won't be passed, but debating it is part of the government process.

If an elected government does not perform to the satisfaction of the voters it should be removed during the next election, or by impeachment if there is credible evidence that serious crimes were committed. Until then peaceful protests are appropriate, but not illegally blocking streets and entrances to government buildings, or any other illegal activities that bring government to a stop.

Out of curiosity, do you know of any democratic government that fulfilled all campaign promises within a year of taking office?

• Like 2

Its all happening again, same as 2006. Next they will move parliment to Don Muang Airport where the yelowshirt protestor will follow and the red will attack them with granades while they sleep.

Where is this mythical airport,. I have never heard of it, and how could the red shirts throw grenades at people sleeping at a place that does not exist.

I think your belief about 'red shirts' throwing grenades at sleeping people is as misguided as your sense of direction, as far as i can remember nobody was convicted for throwing these grenades although I could be wrong, and I always find it easier to take a post more seriously of it is balanced and highlights the faults and violence from both sides, or are you one of these people that ignores the bombings and violence and damage instigated by the yellow shirts last time round?

Thankfully for all concerned I don't think they have the numbers like they had last time to do any real damage to the country, and one big factor is that this time around I don't think they have the army either.

It would be difficult to be balanced when comparing the violence from both sides when it so different in both quantity and intensity.

Nice of you to admit you could be wrong, as you usually are.

So anybody that disagrees with your nonsense is wrong??

haha, i will bite my tongue, I see you say I am wrong but don't make any effort to prove me wrong, I wonder why?? rolleyes.gif

We can compare violence if you want, one side saw unarmed people slaughtered by the army, while the other side had the backing of the army, go figure.

The yellows were violent, have you forgotten all the clips if them being violent, ruining police officers over, kidnapping police, shooting people that just happened to wander into their area, car bomb on sukhothai road, closing international airports, wrecking government house, pipe bombs found at government house, but yeah in your little league table of violence the reds were more violent so that makes the violence from the yellows ok,

One of us is always wrong and it isn't me, its the blinkered yellow man that is wrong more often as his views are not balanced, I on the other hand can see both sides for the violence that occurred by them and against them, I don't choose to just ignore the violence by the yellows and pretend they were peaceful, I would rather say it as it it, and let me say it again so even you can understand it.

The Yellows and the Reds were both involved in violence, I do not care about your opinion as to who was the most violent, your views are tarnished by your colour and you will never admit to the yellows violence, this is clear, but i am the one that gets things wrong?? haha

I once suggested a remedial reading course. After you take it, read my post again and find where it says that you are wrong in your 15:34 post.

Next read the bit about "it would be difficult to be balanced when comparing the violence....." Did I support or attack anybody, or did you just leap to the obvious assumption because it is obviously true?

For those of you who continue to portray the PAD as a democratic movement simply (and non-violently) trying to ensure the rule of law, I suggest you read this piece from the Asian Human Rights Commission.

http://www.humanrigh...RC-STM-298-2008

These people are proto-fascists who want a largely appointed--rather than elected--parliament that would keep power in the hands of the monied elite in Bangkok. And all the time, they pretend that their only motive is to protect the royal institution while demonising the reds as anti-royalist, which is patently untrue.

How any democratically-minded person here can support the PAD is beyond me...

How any democratically-minded person here can support the PAD PTP, Thaksin Red Shirt leaders is beyond me...

Where is this mythical airport,. I have never heard of it, and how could the red shirts throw grenades at people sleeping at a place that does not exist.

How can you be a 'Senior Member' of this forum without knowing where Don Muang Airport is?

Just sayin'

By being deliberately obtuse about a typo.

ooooooooooo get you haha

I apologise for using words of more than one syllable, and suggesting that you being obtuse was deliberate.

The People's Alliance for Democracy keeps trying to disrupt the democratic process and remove democratically elected leaders. I can only assume their name is some kind of attempt at humor.

I don't get involved in Thai politics, but I do think election results should be respected and elected officials allowed to do their jobs.

but I do think election results should be respected and elected officials allowed to do their jobs.

Completely agreed!

Now please explain why THIS government is doing anything but the job it's been elected for.. Such as minimum salary for ALL now, one kid one tablet NOW, 15,000 Baht/month salary for all degree holders, etc...etc...etc....

By doing what they are doing now, or trying to do, is way off their electoral promises and benefits only well you know who....

They lowered Company tax, this Government of the people for the people, one person

I don't agree with an elected official trying to pass an amensty bill that would allow a fugitive,her brother back into the country.

I can only hope that there will not be blood in the streets. She will not not be re-elected and should think about stepping down immediately.

Of course she will be reelected with enough vote buying and fraud even my dog can win (and he would be a honest premier....)

Now, don't be silly, your dog wouldn't be elected PM... unless you call him Shinawatra. But then again I'm against animal cruelty so please don't.

• Like 2

Completely agreed!

Be fair, they did keep their promise to reduce the corporate tax rate so at least some people will be much richer than before.

"what they are doing now", or trying to do, is debating the reconciliation bill, which would require both sides to make unpleasant compromises. It probably won't be passed, but debating it is part of the government process.

And the time to apply pressure would be now, before a bill is rushed through and set in stone, which i'm sure is precisely what Thaksin would have been hoping for. Do it so quickly that nobody notices, like the way he got his passport back. Of course passing a bill is a much trickier affair that is hard to hide from the public. Harder still when the front pages are full of all this sort of stuff.

• Like 1

I'm usually against mobs like these but in this case, good show Yellow Shirts!

Not keen on democracy then?

Well, the bill at issue would have been the end of democracy, separation of power and rule of law. In such a case I believe it is appropriate to stop such a bill at all cost.

Democracy cannot tolerate actions and laws, which abolish democracy.

• Like 2

The riot police should move to disperse any protesters who attempt to disrupt the business of parliment. If they are against reconciliation, then the current government should resort to reprisals against their political opponents.

If what the government was doing was reconciliatory, perhaps people wouldn't be in the streets protesting in the first place. All the government has to do is to guarantee that Thaksin will not be whitewashed by this bill, and all these problems go away. How hard can that be?

Will never happen sad.png We all know whom is the real PTP leader an PM of Thailand.sick.gif

so the mob of 2k pad political loosers outside and a hundred of hard line democrats mps are suspending the parliament for a week.

it's mock of democratic process.

they are on the margin of history and they should realise it by now. Dinosaurs

This reconciliation bill is a mockery of democracy. Nothing but an attempt to whitewash all the crimes of the red shirts and the Shiniwatra family.

• Like 2

How any democratically-minded person here can support the PAD is beyond me...

Don't worry. Your ignorance is forgiven. If you haven't figured out by now that the PAD are fighting for the triumph of rule of law over the dictatorial Thaksin regime, then you will probably never understand. It is only too bad that the PAD is forced into positions where they have to break the law in order to stop the travesty of justice that Thaksin would inflict on Thailand for the benefit of himself.

Rule of law is the very foundation of any democracy. The PAD supports it. Thaksin doesn't. Simple as that really. Everything else is simply people reacting in predictable ways to that basic fact.

When Thaksin submits to the rule of law, and places himself subservient to it, then all the problems stop. As long as he doesn't, the problems don't. Since his personality means he will never do it, nothing short of his demise is ever going to bring peace.

In addition the proposed bill would be a very dangerous precedent and a clear violation of the principle of separation of powers.

A bill of law can never reverse a final ruling of a court without breaking the principle of separation of power.

Ironically, Sonthi, the guy who brought in the bill, had justified his 2006 coup with Thakin's government meddling with the judicial powers. Now HE does it, big time. This guy is a joke, or more precisely a shame for any country calling itself a Democracy. Not only does he show clearly that he has no respect for any democracy by staging a coup, now he undermines two of the very foundations of any democracy: the separation of power. and the rule of law.

I still don't understand why the keep referring to TS as being in "self-exile". Isn't he on the run.

On the run? The whole world knows where he is and no one is chasing him. Self-exile is the better term, albeit a well-financed and comfortable exile.

Poor people go 'on the run'. Wealthy people go 'in exile'.

Putting aside the political views and opinions, one thing to be said is that yellow shirts always seem to have the power to block, overtake and overrun without much resistance from police.

which only leads one to believe that perhaps they have much more power and "better" friends in higher places(which they naturally do)

however with all the "melons, red on the inside" comments, and opinions, i think more of the educated people, see the truth.

yes the poor deserve the vote and everything else, but then-they need to work, as money does not fall from the sky and two, does anyone really want Somchai from Isaan to run the country or be in any position where thinking is required.

Just look at USSR, North Korea where the people revolted and were made equal, that did really well for the country, did not it?!wai.gif

As already mentioned too many times, this bill is to white wash 1 man and 1 man only. I can not see how this is beneficial for the country or its people.

By allowing this to go through, not only it undermines the entire judiciary system, but shows total disrespect for people and law.

So why not then pardon every single criminal serving his sentence and reward those who hide away from their legally given sentence.

Edited by phl
  • Like 1

And all this going on with the world economic forum going on in Bangkok

Surely the Gov't must have known that their would be protest as soon as

the reading started.

So for them to have the reading when so many business leaders are in

town really makes the current Gov't look like the are a few short of a full

deck

really really really bad for Thailand's image ... but can it really get any worse?

The politics are similar to a class war, with the "haves" enforcing their status through coups and great media propaganda, and the "have nots" siding with a populist leader who seems to promise a better future than a minimum wage of 150-300 baht per day. It could be a huge lie, and the taxes and revenues "stolen" from "the people", but nevertheless problems seem to be solved with violence (a show of strength, and who has more strength, those with the money and military and media backing or the masses of impoverished?). Not that I am siding with any group, but it's all messed up on both sides although the PAD always makes a point to use violence to kick out any opposition instead of a legal process. Where's the Democracy in that?

really really really bad for Thailand's image ... but can it really get any worse?

i do not think Thailand has an image and the one it has is nothing to be proud of-sadly

the king of the kids of the sand pit is away, the other kids have all been promised lollypops to take care of the sandpit kingdom, the moms and dads of the kids outside of the sandpit kingdom dont think its fair that the sandpit is not shared, now they are threatening to kick the sandpit kingdom kids weeeeeee little ass"s

A fairy tale titled "the kingdom of nawty little piggies" a hard copy is available smacked across your head in the streets of bkk

so the mob of 2k pad political loosers outside and a hundred of hard line democrats mps are suspending the parliament for a week.

it's mock of democratic process.

they are on the margin of history and they should realise it by now. Dinosaurs

No its freedom of speech and an opposition party doing its job. If the protesters have been allowed to close a road (again) then that's the police inaction. Probably due to the fact that it helps postpone the debate as things are hotting up

sent from my Wellcom A90+

And the time to apply pressure would be now, before a bill is rushed through and set in stone, which i'm sure is precisely what Thaksin would have been hoping for. Do it so quickly that nobody notices, like the way he got his passport back. Of course passing a bill is a much trickier affair that is hard to hide from the public. Harder still when the front pages are full of all this sort of stuff.

If they were applying pressure legally I don't think anyone would object to what they're doing.