Wearing Gold - Classy Or Classless

JustAnotherFarang

Status and appearance are very important in Thailand. Generally speaking the more gold/jewelry you wear shows financial status.

Driving a Mecedes Benz shows status or apparent status. Thailand is either the third or fourth in the world in term of sales of Mecedes.

Welcome to Thailand. :D

Thailand is also first in the world in terms of the finance companies/banks repossessing these same Mercedes. It's true.

Seems to be a bargirl thing. It shows they have a rich "papa" ( we would say "sugar daddy" in the US) and adds status within their circle. I agree with most here who say mostly it makes the girl look cheap to anyone outside the bargirl subculture.

.........nothing more than campaign medals !!! :o

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Status and appearance are very important in Thailand. Generally speaking the more gold/jewelry you wear shows financial status.

Driving a Mecedes Benz shows status or apparent status. Thailand is either the third or fourth in the world in term of sales of Mecedes.

Welcome to Thailand. :D

Thailand is also first in the world in terms of the finance companies/banks repossessing these same Mercedes. It's true.

Seems to be a bargirl thing. It shows they have a rich "papa" ( we would say "sugar daddy" in the US) and adds status within their circle. I agree with most here who say mostly it makes the girl look cheap to anyone outside the bargirl subculture.

.........nothing more than campaign medals !!! :o

VD and Scars :D

Hi

I would really like to know the opinions of both thais and farangs as to what they think about people, or moreso thai ladies wearing considerable amounts of gold ie a 1 bht bracelet and a 1 bht necklace on a regular day to day basis. Do you think that it exudes class or do you think that it cheapens the person or do you have any other opinions of your own that you would like to share with me.

Any and all opinions are appreciated

JAF

To me it's the ulimate in tackiness....as jewelry it shows an attitude especially on western men, of no sense of aesthetics whatsoever....however...

Gold is of false value (supply is much greater than demand) but nevertheless, it is respected everywhere as a currency. If you live in an unstable country or somewhere where yourself or your business/property have little security, owning gold means that if everything goes pearshaped you can make a run for it and still have something of value to start again with. Many peoples who have been persecuted for one reason or another have an affinity with gold for this reason. You can close banks, change currency, confiscate property but it's much more difficult to find or take someone's gold.

Gold is of false value (supply is much greater than demand) but nevertheless, it is respected everywhere as a currency.

Gold is real money — intrinsic wealth, whereas paper money is "false value."

Currently the gold price is rising as a defense against the massive creation of an unending supply of fiat paper. The more worthless paper money that is being created, the more that real money, gold, is worth.

:o Sorry.

With regard to men's dress, I come from a very conservative background. While I can admire flamboyance in its way in others, personally I am more comfortable wearing as little extra paraphernalia as I can. I don't even like to wear a watch. I suppose if someone gave me jewelry which had sentimental value, I would wear it as long as it wasn't over the top- a very plain-looking watch or a simple ring would be about my limit.

"Steven"

Gold is of false value (supply is much greater than demand) but nevertheless, it is respected everywhere as a currency.

Gold is real money — intrinsic wealth, whereas paper money is "false value."

Currently the gold price is rising as a defense against the massive creation of an unending supply of fiat paper. The more worthless paper money that is being created, the more that real money, gold, is worth.

:o Sorry.

Gold has no more value than paper or salt; it's only because people believe it has that gives it a price....so when I see someone wearing gold that's what it says to me...they might as well be wearing a lump of salt round their neck...

the only things in this world that have real value are water and calories....

"the only things in this world that have real value are water and calories...."

That's quite an odd comment. :D

But to each their own, or "up to you", as they say.

The supply of water is far greater than the demand where I live, perhaps you'd be interested in swapping some of your gf's tacky, worthless gold for a few bottles of clean rain water? :D:o

With regard to men's dress, I come from a very conservative background. While I can admire flamboyance in its way in others, personally I am more comfortable wearing as little extra paraphernalia as I can. I don't even like to wear a watch. I suppose if someone gave me jewelry which had sentimental value, I would wear it as long as it wasn't over the top- a very plain-looking watch or a simple ring would be about my limit.

"Steven"

Exactly the same as me, except when I was doing alot of diving I used to were a sub-mariner.

Gold can often be used as collateral. Some of the less well-off Thais use gold as a sort of portable loan. In times of hardship they can pawn the gold for cash and redeem the item when times are better. Remember, a lot of Thais can't provide this collateral for a bank loan. Many gold outlets will give temporary loans this way for a small profit. I know of some Thais who possess some gold for this reason and only wear it on special occasions.

"the only things in this world that have real value are water and calories...."

That's quite an odd comment. :D

But to each their own, or "up to you", as they say.

The supply of water is far greater than the demand where I live, perhaps you'd be interested in swapping some of your gf's tacky, worthless gold for a few bottles of clean rain water? :D:o

just think a bit.....

you can live your whole life without gold, how long would you last without water?????

On a world wide scale the supply of water is dwindling.....

calories and water....everything has a calorific value and wars will be fought over water...just think for a bit...