Pedestrians Are Really Starting To Annoy Me!

ebmzlm

Pedestrian walk on the road either because

- the footpath has become a shopping tunnel covered by sheets of plastic with an alley that narrows every day, which means that everytime an old lady goes in there or someone has the great idea to want to buy or even look at something everyone going each way has to queue and wait until it's over to just get to where they are trying to go

- motorbikes, have decided that one way road can just be ridden anyway by using the footpath and beeping anyone that dares being in their way.

+1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OP, the simple solution was to slow down, wait for your opportunity and then pass them. It's about responsible riding too. Never forget you are driving a deadly weapon at speed and a collision could more than likely kill or at the least seriously injure somebody.

It probably would have cost you 10 seconds in time to wait.

In the quoted instance, the OP was riding a pushbike.

I can see the Pattaya Daily news headline already. "Death by push bike while on the piss on Buakhao."

Has the OP ever considered the 'moving obstruction' he represents to other, faster, road users? Does he pull-over to allow the snake of traffic that has built-up behind him on a narrow road to pass?

'He who is without sin...' etc, etc.

It is your responsibility to accommodate the pedestrians. Getting from A to B quickly is not an acknowledged priority here. It's all about the journey not the destination, jai yen yen.

Or move to a country that values efficiency and safety.

Bl**dy H*ll, man, have you ever been near a Thai road? Jai yen yen? Thailand has some of the most selfish, frustrated and downright awful drivers I've ever seen. Inconsiderate, unable to think two steps ahead (as all drivers should do), incourteous - these are just a few words that come to mind when out on the roads here. There are awful drivers in England, too, but we're too regulated now to do anything 'daring' like they do here. Jai yen yen, indeed! laugh.png Tell that to the minibus drivers ferrying passengers as quickly as they can, or the taxi drivers who have no regard for safety - no seatbelts at 100km/hr is a little daunting.

As for the OP, I'm in agreement with others, you had at least one other option. You should have a bell, or wait for traffic to pass. If you go around clipping people walking in the street (however wrong they might be) you are just another arrogant cyclist giving your fellow riders a bad name (and it's not like cyclists don't have enough of a bad rep already).

Bangkok should bring in a system like Singapore where purchasing the certificate - very limited in number - that gives you the privilege of using a private car in the city, costs as much or more than the car does.

That's all very well and good, but what does that have to do with this thread about pedestrians in Pattaya?

It is your responsibility to accommodate the pedestrians. Getting from A to B quickly is not an acknowledged priority here. It's all about the journey not the destination, jai yen yen.

Bl**dy H*ll, man, have you ever been near a Thai road? Jai yen yen? Thailand has some of the most selfish, frustrated and downright awful drivers I've ever seen. Inconsiderate, unable to think two steps ahead (as all drivers should do), incourteous - these are just a few words that come to mind when out on the roads here. There are awful drivers in England, too, but we're too regulated now to do anything 'daring' like they do here. Jai yen yen, indeed! laugh.png Tell that to the minibus drivers ferrying passengers as quickly as they can, or the taxi drivers who have no regard for safety - no seatbelts at 100km/hr is a little daunting.

As for the OP, I'm in agreement with others, you had at least one other option. You should have a bell, or wait for traffic to pass. If you go around clipping people walking in the street (however wrong they might be) you are just another arrogant cyclist giving your fellow riders a bad name (and it's not like cyclists don't have enough of a bad rep already).

I think you will find "johnny" was being a touch ironic with his post...or even possibly sarcastic wink.png

Has the OP ever considered the 'moving obstruction' he represents to other, faster, road users? Does he pull-over to allow the snake of traffic that has built-up behind him on a narrow road to pass?

Very good point. I find cyclists to be the most selfish group of road users of all.

One the one hand, they insist on other road users behaving with respect and deference to them because they're small and vulnerable, and in the next breath they are breathing in and out of stationary traffic, going over red lights etc because . . ummmm .. they're small and unimportant.

Your right next time I'll ride straight into a baht bus, or fruit stand, because they want to walk in the middle of the road.

People have rushed to the conclusion that the three gentlemen the OP rode through were Thai. Given the location of the incident, I suspect it's much more likely they were fat, bald, drunk and penniless westerners.

(In which case we would need to amend the points tally on theblether's game. Downwards).

Sorry for the lack of information!

The three men were walking towards Soi Diana or further down Soi beokhow as I passed through them after rudis motor bike shop.

The three men were of Arab ethnicity, and were quite big men.

Cheap Charlie's generally.

- the footpath has become a shopping tunnel covered by sheets of plastic with an alley that narrows every day, which means that everytime an old lady goes in there or someone has the great idea to want to buy or even look at something everyone going each way has to queue and wait until it's over to just get to where they are trying to go

- motorbikes, have decided that one way road can just be ridden anyway by using the footpath and beeping anyone that dares being in their way.

There are no pavements on Soi beokhow.

Bangkok should bring in a system like Singapore where purchasing the certificate - very limited in number - that gives you the privilege of using a private car in the city, costs as much or more than the car does.

Yep central London has a congestion charge and as much as people objected to it at the start, now imo it really works well. central london is now a far better place to be and live and outer london has improved transport links partly funded by the congestion charge.

And bac to the original post, not thats its applicable to thailand , well i hope not, but in london now its a regular thing to see generally young black people ignore the paths and walk in the road, fuc_king annoying!!! spoke to a mate of mine who runs an after hours school drop in thingy in a v rough part of London, rio ferdinand and his bro used to go to it when my mate's ma used to run it, and my mate said that walking in the road its a gang thing, kids have a better chance to respond to attacks quicker if they are on the road as opposed to on the footpath.

I drive as far left as possible allowing, all cars and motorbikes to pass freely.

Ah dont ya just love it when the sterotype card gets played......ok your a cyclist right....so you have a goatee beard, wear an anorak and drink pepermint tea and prance around the house in your lycra cycling shorts because youi think it make your "package" look bigger and therefore will impress the ladies more with your gentleman equipment..whistling.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

Lastly I drive both a motorbike and a bicycle, sometimes my uncles car, take the family to the zoo etc,

The two biggest dangers for all drivers are:

Pedestrians they do not look at anytimes whilst crossing the road, walking in the streets etc. there are a lack of pavements around the inner city streets! You are always constantly dodging them, even with a beep or a hoot they rarely move.

2. The cart pushers, with fruit, food etc, they never look when they pull out, again causing drivers to manoeuvre.

I choose to ride my bicycle, for exercise nothing more. I don't jump red lights, or think I can do as I please. I don't weave in and out of cars. I drive solely on the left side of the road, allowing all traffic to flow from behind.

Ah dont ya just love it when the sterotype card gets played......ok your a cyclist right....so you have a goatee beard, wear an anorak and drink pepermint tea and prance around the house in your lycra cycling shorts because youi think it make your "package" look bigger and therefore will impress the ladies more with your gentleman equipment..whistling.gif

Actually for your information, I'm 26, I have a lovely wife and son in thailand, been here nearly 7 years, I own

Numerous motorbikes of which are rented out. And bla bla bla.

Your a typical stereotype, what they called mmmm oh right Haters.

laugh.pngpost-123755-0-00950300-1338630276_thumb.

• Like 1

Actually for your information, I'm 26, I have a lovely wife and son in thailand, been here nearly 7 years, I own

So you hate persons of arabic ethnicity who are cheap charlies then...?

your the one who determined 3 gentlemen of arabic ethnicity where cheap charlies simply with a passing glance while you cycling past, so shall we talk about sterotyping ?

Seeing as we are posting CV's I am ex-SAS who spent time in MI5, owns multi-million dollar mansion in Pattaya, and has friends at general level in the Thai army and high level officals in the Goverment, My wife is a Hi-So Thai/Chinese Ex- movie actress with a double doctorate nuclear engineering ...biggrin.png

It is your responsibility to accommodate the pedestrians. Getting from A to B quickly is not an acknowledged priority here. It's all about the journey not the destination, jai yen yen. Or move to a country that values efficiency and safety.
Bl**dy H*ll, man, have you ever been near a Thai road? Jai yen yen? Thailand has some of the most selfish, frustrated and downright awful drivers I've ever seen.

Exactly why the following are required here:

• Leaving plenty of time to get where you're going - that is if being on time is still important to you.
  • Not trying to maintain a frenetic western pace of productivity and efficiency, not putting such a high value on your every minute.
  • And above all patience and tolerance for idiots.

These are the requirements to maintain a peaceful and happy state of mind dealing with many aspects of life in Thailand, not just traffic.

If being peaceful and happy aren't important goals for you, then feel free to ignore the above.

If you want to be fully productive and efficient what are you doing here for God's sake?

Lastly I drive both a motorbike and a bicycle, sometimes my uncles car, take the family to the zoo etc,

Pedestrians they do not look at anytimes whilst crossing the road, walking in the streets etc. there are a lack of pavements around the inner city streets! You are always constantly dodging them, even with a beep or a hoot they rarely move.

2. The cart pushers, with fruit, food etc, they never look when they pull out, again causing drivers to manoeuvre.

I choose to ride my bicycle, for exercise nothing more. I don't jump red lights, or think I can do as I please. I don't weave in and out of cars. I drive solely on the left side of the road, allowing all traffic to flow from behind.

you forgot number 3......Cyclists who believe they own the road and can do what they want...............
  • Like 1

If you want to be fully productive and efficient what are you doing here for God's sake?

Steady johnny boy....dont want to use "If you dont like it you can leave" twice in one day...We will all start talking about you...laugh.png

Take the good with the bad .... It's a live and let live culture.

Indeed.

This extension is vacant fron outsiders, whom insist on imparting their cultural standards upon everything.

So there is no question :P

I mean all the more

pedestrian have precedence on the road all the more if there is no pavement, you should give them way to them

• Like 1

Soi Bukhao is little more than a footpath at the best of times and there is so much foot traffic in the area it's hard enough to walk, much less ride a bike.

I agree with the OP that pedestrians should be cognizant of other traffic around them as it's a give and take situation trying to navigate that soi. But some punters do walk around with their head up their rear end.

My suggestion to the OP is to buy one of those small air horns like you see at sporting events. When riding up behind foot traffic walking in the road and they won't move, give them a blast of the horn from about 2 meters away and watch them piss their pants getting out of the way.

So you hate persons of arabic ethnicity who are cheap charlies then...?

your the one who determined 3 gentlemen of arabic ethnicity where cheap charlies simply with a passing glance while you cycling past, so shall we talk about sterotyping ?

Seeing as we are posting CV's I am ex-SAS who spent time in MI5, owns multi-million dollar mansion in Pattaya, and has friends at general level in the Thai army and high level officals in the Goverment, My wife is a Hi-So Thai/Chinese Ex- movie actress with a double doctorate nuclear engineering ...biggrin.png

Why don't we add a chufters badge to the medals you already have.

Soi Bukhao is little more than a footpath at the best of times and there is so much foot traffic in the area it's hard enough to walk, much less ride a bike.

I agree with the OP that pedestrians should be cognizant of other traffic around them as it's a give and take situation trying to navigate that soi. But some punters do walk around with their head up their rear end.

My suggestion to the OP is to buy one of those small air horns like you see at sporting events. When riding up behind foot traffic walking in the road and they won't move, give them a blast of the horn from about 2 meters away and watch them piss their pants getting out of the way.

Haha

So there is no question :P

I mean all the more

pedestrian have precedence on the road all the more if there is no pavement, you should give them way to them

Yes if they walk in behind each other and show courteous towards others. Not in anyway when they are walking three together side by side taking up half a road.

Will posters actually Take the time in reading the matter in hand, instead of making a personal judgement, of no actual relevance.

Thanks

you forgot number 3......Cyclists who believe they own the road and can do what they want...............

We all know, motorcycle drivers rule the road.

From my collection, tagged "people with too much time on their hands".

From my collection, tagged "people with too much time on their hands".

Train horns mounted on trucks are in vogue where I am living now. Nothing gets your attention like a train horn when it goes off as it sounds like Maxwell's Silver Hammer coming down to smote you!

So there is no question tongue.png

I mean all the more

Yes if they walk in behind each other and show courteous towards others. Not in anyway when they are walking three together side by side taking up half a road.

Will posters actually Take the time in reading the matter in hand, instead of making a personal judgement, of no actual relevance.

Thanks

Even if they are 3, 4, 5, 10 side to side people blocking the all road and you have to wait 25 minutes behind them, humans are first.

there are far too many cars anyway