When A Person Pushes In Front At Counter Or Checkout.

Ron19

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It very rarely ever happens to me. A long time spent in India taught me to defensively hold my position. It's a bit like driving on the roads in Bangkok; if you leave a space, someone will fill it. Remember Thais/Asians don't have the same concept of personal space as westerners, don't leave a gap big enough for someone to squeeze in, and if they try to come from the sides, block them with your basket/trolley/body.

• Like 1

It doesn't happen that often to me, and I find even the Thais don't appreciate queue jumpers. Sometimes even the counter people will ignore them and point at me as next. Hands on the hips, elbows out as a block sometimes does the job. biggrin.png

Tap them politely on the shoulder and point to the floor, as if they've dropped something.

While they're distracted put your own groceries on the counter and push theirs to one side, keeping eye contact with the cashier.

And smile.biggrin.png

• Like 1

It happened to me this morning as I was walking my dogs around our local village.On the way back home I stopped at a stall that sells freshly butchered pork.One dog I have on a leash, so I shortened the leash and stood back around two feet and waited for two people in front of me to be served.While waiting another three people came,pushed in front of me and each one of them started picking up pieces of meat and putting it on the scales or waving money in front of the lady serving.She is a very nice lady and I wouldn't like to upset her but I could see her getting frustrated and confused.The other people would not give her a chance to attend to me,so I did the only thing I could and turned around and walked away rather than cause a scene as I was getting hot under the collar.Maybe I should have let the dog go closer,jump up and start helping himself.

If it's a farang, start a conversation with them, politely; that's sure to embarrass them.

If it's a Thai, do the same if your Thai is up to it.

No the lady is Thai and no english and my thai is not good enough to ask them not to be so rude.Two of them were people I see and talk to most days.I just don't want to cause a stir and then have to regret what I have said.

It very rarely ever happens to me. A long time spent in India taught me to defensively hold my position. It's a bit like driving on the roads in Bangkok; if you leave a space, someone will fill it. Remember Thais/Asians don't have the same concept of personal space as westerners, don't leave a gap big enough for someone to squeeze in, and if they try to come from the sides, block them with your basket/trolley/body.

Or maybe the dog.

Happened to me at an airport two days ago and I said 'excuse me' in a very much not apologetic (ie loud) fashion and plonked my lovable body in front of the guys. I later regretted this as they turned out to be people that were about to miss their train (they did). One word from them would have given them priority.

They were a nice Australian couple, not Thais, happens everywhere.

Last time someone pushed in it was at Big C, I asked my wife to calmly and politely ask them if they were in a hurry and if they saw the queue? The pusher stopped, looked around at all the impatient smiles, excused themselves and said they didn't see the queue, then picked up all their goods and headed for the back of the queue with a red face.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Yes, physically blocking people trying to push in works well but you do have to maintain situational awareness and stand much closer to those in front of you than you'd usually be comfortable with.

Worst case I just say very politely with a smile, "I'm sorry I was here before you" and hand my stuff to the cashier over theirs.

I stopped at a stall that sells freshly butchered pork.One dog I have on a leash, so I shortened the leash and stood back around two feet and waited for two people in front of me to be served.While waiting another three people came,pushed in front of me and each one of them started picking up pieces of meat and putting it on the scales or waving money in front of the lady serving.

How long have you lived in Thailand? I don't know, maybe I'm just used to it, but I do close to the same at the market stalls now. Just make my way through, and start grabbing whatever I need, regardless of who's there, and who's doing what. If I was a polite Canadian about it all, I'd probably end up spending an hour at the market versus 15 minutes. I'll always make an exception if it's an elderly person though, especially an elderly lady. Then I back away, and politely wait for them to get what they want.

I know by Western standards it's pretty rude, but when in Rome...

Besides, they don't have a problem doing it to me. After I patiently wait in line to get some chicken say, they have no problem budding in, saying I'll take 40 baht of this or that. So what the hell, I'll do the same.

Edited by cdnmatt
  • Like 1

If someone feels empowered by this type of behaviour and it makes them happy then I let them get on with it.

No big deal really. The OP's case is a little different. Best do your meat shopping when the dog isn't around I guess.

It happened to me this morning as I was walking my dogs around our local village.On the way back home I stopped at a stall that sells freshly butchered pork.One dog I have on a leash, so I shortened the leash and stood back around two feet and waited for two people in front of me to be served.While waiting another three people came,pushed in front of me and each one of them started picking up pieces of meat and putting it on the scales or waving money in front of the lady serving.She is a very nice lady and I wouldn't like to upset her but I could see her getting frustrated and confused.The other people would not give her a chance to attend to me,so I did the only thing I could and turned around and walked away rather than cause a scene as I was getting hot under the collar.Maybe I should have let the dog go closer,jump up and start helping himself.

If it is a Rottweiler I am surprised.....all Thais I know keep 5 meter distance from them and are usually shocked when I step forward playing with it......Rottis are usually lovely dogs.....

It happened to me at Big C

I put my stuff on the conveyor belt and move to the other side of the till ready to pay.

One woman arrives and put her stuffs in front of mine on the belt.

I don't say anything

Obviously the till girl start processing the woman stuff and I stop her and say "this is not mine, it's that woman she put her stuffs before mine"

The woman says "sorreee" but does not move her stuff

The till girls does not do anything, and the woman does not move her stuffs

So I come back to the woman and ask her if she is going to move her stuffs in an irritated voice

I have to explain to her that obviously the till girl will always take what's first and that if she is really sorry to take my place she should move her stuffs

All she can say is : "But I said SORREEEE"

Yeah well sorry is just not good enough to take my place, I said

And I took her stuffs and moved them behind mine

Some people !

Edited by aneliane

I rarely encounter these probs but in the scenario outlined in the previous post I have simply smiled & abandoned my shopping on the conveyor so that the staff have to put it all back.

Edited by evadgib

I rarely encounter these probs but in the scenario outlined in the previous post I have simply smiled & abandoned my shopping on the conveyor so that the staff have to put it all back.

Yeah, when you're working or traveling through BKK's traffic out 8 hours a day, then coming to 2 hours housework every evening, 6 days a week, cancelling shopping just because someone is rude is not an option

Edited by aneliane

I have noticed this happening alot. Especially in village markets. The other day my GF was buying a belt for me. we selected a belt but it needed extra holes. Another couple and child want to buy something and the shop attendant showed them the item and served them first. My GF could see no problem with what happened, I just shook my head. I think it is common especially in the rural areas.

Spent 6 months in India and queue jumping happens virtually everywhere there, but have noticed it less in Thailand. Was in Pantip Plaza yesterday and was asking about a new phone and listening to the sales guy explain something, next thing I know a couple of Indian guys appear from nowhere and interrupt the conversation asking about an iPad. Annoys the hell out of me. Also annoys me the sales guy starts answering them, rather than signalling to the Indian guys that he was dealing with me first.

Edited by Henry00

It has happened to me quite a few times and I usually just tap them on the shoulder and gesture my hands as if to say "what are you doing?" and point to the rest of the queue. If that doesn't work then I shoved my way in front of them and put my things on the counter.

I did it once with a little cocky teenage boy and he said something rude in Thai later and the lady round the counter who was a rather old stern looking lady slapped him and shouted at him until he left the store redfaced. Then after wards she held my hand and smiles and said "koh toh ka!"

I don't stand for queue jumpers no matter what country I am in. Its rude and impolite and if Thailand favours themselves on being so polite all the time then they should dam_n well act like it.

You should try shopping in Hong Kong. OMG! One would think pushing to the front of a queue was an irrepressible cultural characteristic of the HK citizenry. As well as rushing to the front of the aircraft for deplaning even before seatbelt signs are released.

Doesn't seem to help your case if u do that. U then have to go and do all that shopping again, wasting your own time. And then if it happened the second time u did your repeat shop, do you then leave your goods on the conveyor belt again?

If it really bugs you why not just tell the person who has done it?

Some poorly paid checkout staff person isn't going to want to offend any customer by telling them to wait their turn. They probably don't really care.