Citibank Atm ----- Help

alanho803

Had anyone used a Citibank ATM card to withdraw cash from atm machine in bangkok? I had tried 3 different atm machine all with the PLUS logo but they all state that my pin number is not correct. I know that is not true so i wonder if i have made a mistake somewhere cus it was kind of strange to me that before they tell me that my pin number is wrong therefore they cannot complete the transaction all 3 of them ask if i will like to execute the withdrawal and if yes it will deduct 150B and after ii press yes it immediatedly reply that my pin is wrong. I have heard a lot about those rediculous scam that locals pray on tourists but this must be the ultimate ---in your face--- scam if that is what it is.I was initially confused than shocked and it slowly turn into anger but after a few thoughts on this matter i couldn't stop laughing. Anyway I need to know if i have made a mistake somewhere or whatever.. I have talked to citibank Hong Kong the issuing bank and they told me that they have not had any compliants from their client untill i called. The same goes to citibank thailand. They somehow felt to me that they think i have keyed in the wrong pin number. Its getting nowhere with these people so i thought manybe this forum can help. I do need to withdraw some cash now as I am not comfortable with what i have with me.

Can Someone please help me withdraw with my HONG KONG Citibank ATM card?

That's why most people have more than one card ...... sorry, not a tell-off, but surely you do have another?

Your best bet might now be to actually go into a bank with your passport and card. There's no real reason whhy the PIN problem won't persist, but you never know.

Can't you ask Citibank for a new card, claiming loss? You will start again with a new PIN then. It will take a few days.

All I can say is that I use my Citibank ATM card issued from Singapore all the time in Thailand at various ATM's and have never had a problem in 7 years have been with Citi singapore.....out of curosity how many digits does your pin number have ? 4 or 6 ?

All I could say is your punching something wrong in or your cards damaged

Go to an exchange booth with your passport and a bill to show your address ( or you can tell them the address ) and withdraw funds. No need for 150 Baht fee either. Generally better FX rates as well.

This way you can see him swipe the card and make sure it is all in working order too.

As an aside, are you sure your anti-fraud section of your bank is aware you are in Thailand? (I presume they do if they say there are no problems).

Go to an exchange booth with your passport and a bill to show your address ( or you can tell them the address ) and withdraw funds. No need for 150 Baht fee either. Generally better FX rates as well.

This way you can see him swipe the card and make sure it is all in working order too.

As an aside, are you sure your anti-fraud section of your bank is aware you are in Thailand? (I presume they do if they say there are no problems).

Ah. Nice one Cyril. Sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing with banks. I remember now I once had this problem with my Flexicard, despite informing Nationwide of my travels.

Did you call them and tell them that you were you will be using the card in Thailand?. if not they could be blocking the transactions trying to prevent unauthorized use.

Even thought I called my bank and told them I would be in Thailand for a few months, after using it successfully a few times in Thailand , it stopped working, and I got the same message. I called the bank, and they told me that I had entered the pin incorrectly three times and because of that, they had inactivated my pin, and that I had to reset it.

I had not entered the pin 3 times incorrect, so it could had being a bank error, some one could had tried to access my account, or it could had being the fault of the atm machines I used in Thailand, transmitting my pin to the server wrong.

What ever the reason my pin was disabled and did not work.

I called the bank, reset my pin, and after that my card worked fine in Thailand.

Did you call them and tell them that you were you will be using the card in Thailand?.

If he has the same sort of account as me...you dont need to call them...they call you if something "strange" is flagged on the system" and check with you before blocking a card I have tested this feature a few times all over SEA and within 30 seconds of the card being withdrawn from the ATM the phone rings to confirm your card has just been used...if you dont pick up...card will be blocked...

The system is actually undergoing change in singapore at least...SMS and emails automatically sent every time withdrawal made as well

Edited by Soutpeel

I am pretty sure..either wrong pin or card damaged

I am pretty sure..either wrong pin or card damaged

Yes, quite possibly.