Bars Closed?

wildpikey

June 4th (from midnight June 3rd) is Visahka Bucha day, a very important day on the Buddhist calendar. This day commemorates the birth, enlightenment and the entry into nirvana of Buddha.

I would imagine most establishments will not be serving alcohol, but I'm sure the coffee cup brigade will be out.... though I find it hard to surreptitiously enjoy a pint out of a cup.

Edited by uptheos

Cool,

Clear answers, not some old git who gave up being an alcoholic a couple of years ago preaching on about,

"why can't you do without a drink for one day"

Any minute now..

Can always watch the jubilee with a nice cup of tea.coffee1.gif

My wife told me that this was a pretty full on ban - a particularly auspicious anniversary of a particularly auspicious day. We didn't sell booze and closed at 9pm. What annoyed us (and many of our colleagues in the bar and restaurant trade) though, was that hotels were allowed to serve alcohol. Does Buddhism not permeate their hallowed portals? Or is it just that the rich b**st*s that own them managed to get the law changed to suit themselves?

Have wondered about that many times, myself.

Was told that it was permitted to drink in your own home, and as such, when you are on travel the hotel or guest house is your home , albeit in a short time basis...

Just the answer I got..... but don't know for sure.

G

June 4th (from midnight June 3rd) is Visahka Bucha day, a very important day on the Buddhist calendar. This day commemorates the birth, enlightenment and the entry into nirvana of Buddha.

I would imagine most establishments will not be serving alcohol, but I'm sure the coffee cup brigade will be out.... though I find it hard to surreptitiously enjoy a pint out of a cup.

Nicely done explaining what the holiday was, when he didn't ask for that, and then giving some assumptions which he had already figured were a possibility since he made the post.

• Like 1