Oops! Yingluck, Suu Kyi, World Economic Forum Et Al: Opinion

webfact

I am no fan of YS but wasn't she recently criticised for making a speech at the WEF in Japan in Thai?

Damned if she does, damned if she don't.

Btw I saw her giving an interview on the Australian Network in English at the weekend. It was barely better than incoherant to me. Best she sticks to Thai with a translation imho.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Yes she did give a speech in Japan however she didn't make use of any simultaneous translator and copies of the speech certainly in English were handed out AFTER the speech.

Simply bad planning on the part of her advisors.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Worse of all, she thought that the citizens of 10-Asean members, estimated 600 millions, represented half of the world's population."

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

-mel.

We all know how big the world is for the average Thai person. There are a few insignificant countries surrounding us, the countries where cheap laborers with out any rights come from. Then is this Land of Farang. No one really knows where it is but it's common Thai knowledge, that's the place where money grows on trees. Only tourists and criminals live there. And then, there is Amazing Thailand. Completely misunderstood by the small rest of the world as only natives understand the very complex make-up of this demo-crazy.

Well, incompetence deprives people of the ability to recognise their own incompetence. Basically, dumb people are to dumb to recognise how dumb they are and often believe, their intelligence is above the rest.

Suppose if voters are stupid enough to vote for someone who doesn't even want to be a PM and probably has the intelligence of an Issan Water Buffalo, then, what they get is what they deserve. - A dumb Parrot??

Whilst Thaksin sings "Let it be",

his sister could sing "Help me if you can I'm feeling dumb"

Whilst the rest of the nation can sing "We are the world"

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif
  • Like 1

I really don't care what you say about Bush but Brown having lost an eye playing rugby as a young man is completely irrelevant to any assessment of either his career or his proficiency in English. He has a PhD from a university where his subject - History - is taught in English. I expect that he would be able to spell correctly the word "technically".

He should have worn an eyepatch, it would have made him look like a pirate. wink.png He should have dressed as a pirate when he sold England's gold reserves at a $15bn loss in 99-02. Would have been easier to watch him do things like that if he'd been saying "HARRRRRRR!" and waving a cutlass around.

laugh.png

I was protesting at the attempt to denigrate him for an injury he sustained which had nothing to do with his success or failure in politics. I despise people who mock any kind of disabilities.

Further proof the Yingluck has no leadership abilities, she is a sham and an embarassment. The sooner her usefullness as a diversion to the Thaksin amnesty bill is over the sooner she can get back to her bimbo lifestyle.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

I was protesting at the attempt to denigrate him for an injury he sustained which had nothing to do with his success or failure in politics. I despise people who mock any kind of disabilities.

I'm writing this from my wheelchair & I agree with you that it is wrong to mock all disabilities. I wasn't mocking the loss of his eye, nor do I consider pirates to be an insult - I actually love pirate films and stories. I was joking about pirates because I think they are funny. What I don't love is Gordon Brown losing that much money from the country I am a resident of, or for that matter anything else under the Blair regime.

Back on topic I agree in principal that Yingluck Shinawatra's language skills should not supercede judgement on her overall performance as leader, neither by writers such as in the Nation's OP, nor by the electorate. If she had a speech impediment or writing impediment or simply didn't speak many languages, it is of minor detail compared to her performance as Thai PM in ushering positive social reform and repairing the many broken infrastructural facets of the country. When she does any of those things, please let me know and I will truly withdraw my criticism of her language skills.

Edited by Yunla

I expect that he would be able to spell correctly the word "technically".

Its ok....you are not in class yet...save it for your students....whistling.gif

and for the record..Brown is a one eyed Scottish git who sold off all the UK gold...

• Like 1

He has a PhD from a university where his subject - History -

What a waste of an education then and what does this prove boys and girls ?...having higher education is absolutely no indication of somebody having intelligence ....whistling.gif

Did I make any spell mistakes or grammatical errors this time oh great Ajran ???rolleyes.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

I really don't care what you say about Bush but Brown having lost an eye playing rugby as a young man is completely irrelevant to any assessment of either his career or his proficiency in English. He has a PhD from a university where his subject - History - is taught in English. I expect that he would be able to spell correctly the word "technically".

He should have worn an eyepatch, it would have made him look like a pirate. wink.png He should have dressed as a pirate when he sold England's gold reserves at a $15bn loss in 99-02. Would have been easier to watch him do things like that if he'd been saying "HARRRRRRR!" and waving a cutlass around.

laugh.png

He was a complete failure in politics...very similar to the way it will turn out for Yingluck

"Worse of all, she thought that the citizens of 10-Asean members, estimated 600 millions, represented half of the world's population."

-mel.

They also have a law that might be the law in the LOS. "A person may not be seen in public without a smile on their face."

laugh.png

Even if it's terminal stupidity?

• Like 1

Ms. Yinglock has better english skills than Big Brother, which is understandable he graduated from the university of the Republic of Texas. English is not spoken in Texas.

Actually I think Thaksin speaks in much more coherent sentences, though it is true his English is choppy. He gets his ideas, such as they are, across. Yingluck does not.

-mel.

They also have a law that might be the law in the LOS. "A person may not be seen in public without a smile on their face."

Ohhh I thought it was not leaving the house without underwear

Whats the whole issue with the prime minister's lack of English skills?

There are many leaders who do not speak English as well as the Thai Prime Minister- As far as I am aware Yingluck's English is far better than people like Angela Merkl's, Sarkozy's, Medvedev or Putin's, Bush and Brown and I am sure some of the other Asian leaders.

And it's undoubtedly better than the Thai language skills of many people who have decided to reside here long term and who moan about things said by Thai government officials, when in all probability what they said was mangled beyond recognition by the newspaper.

[

It's either "Persons may not ...on their faces " or it's " A person ... without a smile on his/her face." -- Since we're coming down on the PM's English skills.

Edited by Suradit69

There are many leaders who do not speak English as well as the Thai Prime Minister- As far as I am aware Yingluck's English is far better than people like Angela Merkl's, Sarkozy's, Medvedev or Putin's, Bush and Brown and I am sure some of the other Asian leaders.

And it's undoubtedly better than the Thai language skills of many people who have decided to reside here long term and who moan about things said by Thai government officials, when in all probability what they said was mangled beyond recognition by the newspaper.

[

It's either "Persons may not ...on their faces " or it's " A person ... without a smile on his/her face." -- Since we're coming down on the PM's English skills.

WRONG! COMPLETE FAIL!

There is no definite antecedent before 'face', and what he wrote was within the scope of the universal, distributive quantifier 'anyone'.

To use 'their' with a singular person in this instance is perfectly correct!

Further example: "Anyone who thinks they have been affected should contact their doctor".

This exemplifies plural usage with an individual or singular person.

I sure hope your class ended early today if you think you are an adequate English teacher. giggle.gif

-mel.

Edited by MEL1
  • Like 2

[

It appears you got the quotes wrong, as that was posted by me not JoeLing.

Amazing Thailand

I would be interested to know if these 2 guys know the answer or just pretend to be wise guys.

[

It appears you got the quotes wrong, as that was posted by me not JoeLing.

Doesn't matter anyway, as he was completely wrong about the English usage! offtopic.gifsad.png

-mel.

Amazing Thailand

I would be interested to know if these 2 guys know the answer or just pretend to be wise guys.

I'd be interested if any of the guys in the House have any real idea of what goes on beyond their sights of where the next big buck is coming from. I really don't think they have one iota of what the private sector does to keep this country running. I thoroughly believe they just see opportunities for new projects that permit personal scams, and get a little advice from the odd banker or University economist to ensure they are not going to blow the country away in what they do. I believe it is that simple from where they stand as, after all, most of them bought their way there anyway and want the pay-back.

Quite a pessimistic view of mine, but I don't think it's that far away from the truth. :(

-mel.

• Like 1

[

Before you correct other people, you should check your own grammar and spelling. Maybe an optician to check your vision would be helpful too as I never said what you put in quotes. You're quoting the wrong person. One should never change a quote and definitely not attribute it to the wrong person.

The deal is that her and her big bro are supposed to have degrees from the USA (Kentucky I believe). Must have been bought because it's impossible to obtain degrees in an English speaking country and speak the way she does (yes, I've opened up myself to comments from the Brits, bring 'em on baby!!)

The big deal is that she tries to make speeches and interviews in English, sounds like an idiot when doing so, and then tries to do it again and again and again. (If at first you don't succeed, <deleted> it, no use in making yourself look like an a$$h*le again)

The big deal is that she doesn't even realize what a horses a$$ she makes herself (and the people she was elected to serve) every time she does,

Furthermore, the big deal is that those who are supposed to support and help her prepare (used loosely my friends) for these events neither tell her this nor try to help her improve her ability to communicate in the language.

Like the columnist pointed out, the leaders from the other ASEAN countries chose to use their native languages to articulate their ideas effectively and understandably (allowing trained professionals translate their words for them) while, as she has too many times in the past, chose to use English in a vain attempt to make her seem more enlightened and try to conceal the fact she really has no clue about the topic at hand (see other posts about the upcoming "reconciliation bill" and the fact she hasn't read it yet but still wants "the people" to trust her that it's truly meant to bring them all together like one big happy family). Not ironically, she ends up making herself look extremely foolish and unintelligent trying to do so, really doing disservice to the Thai people as a whole.

Lastly, whoever on her staff is either encouraging her to continue to make public speeches in English and/or isn't telling her just how foolish she makes herself (and the people she is supposed to represent in these meetings) should get jail time. Articulating oneself WELL in a foreign language while speaking publicly can have an effect of making one perhaps seem more intelligent; however, articulating oneself POORLY in a foreign language, like she did, has the exact opposite effect.

Is she really so clueless that she doesn't realize she makes absolutely no sense when attempting to communicate in English? Guess this is another one of those things that she inherited from her "big bro."

Edited by thailandajarn
  • Like 2

The deal is that her and her big bro are supposed to have degrees from the USA (Kentucky I believe). Must have been bought because it's impossible to obtain degrees in an English speaking country and speak the way she does (yes, I've opened up myself to comments from the Brits, bring 'em on baby!!)

The big deal is that she tries to make speeches and interviews in English, sounds like an idiot when doing so, and then tries to do it again and again and again. (If at first you don't succeed, <deleted> it, no use in making yourself look like an a$$h*le again)

The big deal is that she doesn't even realize what a horses a$$ she makes herself (and the people she was elected to serve) every time she does,

Furthermore, the big deal is that those who are supposed to support and help her prepare (used loosely my friends) for these events neither tell her this nor try to help her improve her ability to communicate in the language.

Like the columnist pointed out, the leaders from the other ASEAN countries chose to use their native languages to articulate their ideas effectively and understandably (allowing trained professionals translate their words for them) while, as she has too many times in the past, chose to use English in a vain attempt to make her seem more enlightened and try to conceal the fact she really has no clue about the topic at hand (see other posts about the upcoming "reconciliation bill" and the fact she hasn't read it yet but still wants "the people" to trust her that it's truly meant to bring them all together like one big happy family). Not ironically, she ends up making herself look extremely foolish and unintelligent trying to do so, really doing disservice to the Thai people as a whole.

Lastly, whoever on her staff is either encouraging her to continue to make public speeches in English and/or isn't telling her just how foolish she makes herself (and the people she is supposed to represent in these meetings) should get jail time. Articulating oneself WELL in a foreign language while speaking publicly can have an effect of making one perhaps seem more intelligent; however, articulating oneself POORLY in a foreign language, like she did, has the exact opposite effect.

Is she really so clueless that she doesn't realize she makes absolutely no sense when attempting to communicate in English? Guess this is another one of those things that she inherited from her "big bro."

She has the same problems with her mother tongue and numbers give her a real headache

Sent from my dog.

Might be heredity, some posters have said her Thai is also bad.

Might be heredity, some posters have said her Thai is also bad.

Big business well educated woman, blahbah.gif Bet she can´t even boil water.rolleyes.gif