Oops! Yingluck, Suu Kyi, World Economic Forum Et Al: Opinion

webfact

"Worse of all, she thought that the citizens of 10-Asean members, estimated 600 millions, represented half of the world's population."

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

-mel.

She must be a bad publicity for the KSU.laugh.png

I haven't noticed them bragging about the fact that one of their alumni is a Prime Minister.. biggrin.png

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The star of the show was Asia's greatest lady and international heroine Aung Sang Suu Kyi. Yingluck along with all the rest of the regional political bigwigs must have been honoured to be able to bask in her presence.

"Worse of all, she thought that the citizens of 10-Asean members, estimated 600 millions, represented half of the world's population."

-mel.

I haven't noticed them bragging about the fact that one of their alumni is a Prime Minister.. biggrin.png

thumbsup.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif Nether have I.cheesy.gif

Maybe they don´t know her.

Edited by Skywalker69

Whats the whole issue with the prime minister's lack of English skills?

There are many leaders who do not speak English as well as the Thai Prime Minister- As far as I am aware Yingluck's English is far better than people like Angela Merkl's, Sarkozy's, Medvedev or Putin's, Bush and Brown and I am sure some of the other Asian leaders.

The deal is that her and her big bro are supposed to have degrees from the USA (Kentucky I believe). Must have been bought because it's impossible to obtain degrees in an English speaking country and speak the way she does (yes, I've opened up myself to comments from the Brits, bring 'em on baby!!)

The big deal is that she tries to make speeches and interviews in English, sounds like an idiot when doing so, and then tries to do it again and again and again. (If at first you don't succeed, <deleted> it, no use in making yourself look like an a$$h*le again)

The big deal is that she doesn't even realize what a horses a$$ she makes herself (and the people she was elected to serve) every time she does,

Furthermore, the big deal is that those who are supposed to support and help her prepare (used loosely my friends) for these events neither tell her this nor try to help her improve her ability to communicate in the language.

Like the columnist pointed out, the leaders from the other ASEAN countries chose to use their native languages to articulate their ideas effectively and understandably (allowing trained professionals translate their words for them) while, as she has too many times in the past, chose to use English in a vain attempt to make her seem more enlightened and try to conceal the fact she really has no clue about the topic at hand (see other posts about the upcoming "reconciliation bill" and the fact she hasn't read it yet but still wants "the people" to trust her that it's truly meant to bring them all together like one big happy family). Not ironically, she ends up making herself look extremely foolish and unintelligent trying to do so, really doing disservice to the Thai people as a whole.

Lastly, whoever on her staff is either encouraging her to continue to make public speeches in English and/or isn't telling her just how foolish she makes herself (and the people she is supposed to represent in these meetings) should get jail time. Articulating oneself WELL in a foreign language while speaking publicly can have an effect of making one perhaps seem more intelligent; however, articulating oneself POORLY in a foreign language, like she did, has the exact opposite effect.

Is she really so clueless that she doesn't realize she makes absolutely no sense when attempting to communicate in English? Guess this is another one of those things that she inherited from her "big bro."

Might be heredity, some posters have said her Thai is also bad.

Big business well educated woman, blahbah.gif Bet she can´t even boil water.rolleyes.gif

I bet she can burn a boiled egg though! cheesy.gif

-mel.

• Like 1

-mel.

I wondered at one stage if KSU would require would require photo ID for those sitting exams, then realised that in Kentucky who could pick Asians one from the other.

Whats the whole issue with the prime minister's lack of English skills?

There are many leaders who do not speak English as well as the Thai Prime Minister- As far as I am aware Yingluck's English is far better than people like Angela Merkl's, Sarkozy's, Medvedev or Putin's, Bush and Brown and I am sure some of the other Asian leaders.

Incidently Bush and Brown are fluent English Speakers,didn't you know? one was born in the Uk and the other is American,who also speak English? as their national language?

If Yinglucks English is considered bad,then it it must run in the Family,Big Brother,speaks Pidgin English,along with the finest Tuk Tuk Driver.

With apologies to Tuk Tuk drivers!

• Like 2

-mel.

still no change from last year

Hmmm... she doesn't turn up anywhere on an entire search of their website... interesting

yingluck.png

• Like 1

Just to be fair, Abhisit is part of the Oxford Alumni, so we know he's got true credentials. It baffles me as to why KSU didn't include her in their Alumni. You'd think it worth a mention no? Or could it be.... nah, nevermind.. silly of me to think that she didn't graduate from KSU.

Just to be fair, Abhisit is part of the Oxford Alumni, so we know he's got true credentials. It baffles me as to why KSU didn't include her in their Alumni. You'd think it worth a mention no? Or could it be.... nah, nevermind.. silly of me to think that she didn't graduate from KSU.

Or maybe they have asked not to be listed....I sure under US law right to privacy would be applicable, if you asked a University not to put you on a public list I am sure they would comply...certainly in their case due to possible "donations" to the school..

I have suggested the above not because I am a fan of PM and brother #1 but to illustate there are always two possible sides to the story...before the conspiracy theorist get hold of this...

Is Abhishit listed on public web sites related to Oxford Alumni ?....and before you answer do you know this for certain and not just repeating from what your heard from someone else ?

Or maybe they have asked not to be listed....I sure under US law right to privacy would be applicable, if you asked a University not to put you on a public list I am sure they would comply...certainly in their case due to possible "donations" to the school..

I have suggested the above not because I am a fan of PM and brother #1 but to illustate there are always two possible sides to the story...before the conspiracy theorist get hold of this...

But surely this institution would advertise that they educated a Prime Minister even if they didnt name her.

But surely this institution would advertise that they educated a Prime Minister even if they didnt name her.

how would that work?

"we educated a prime minister"

"oh yeah, who?"

"can't say"

Then you'd have to question why would anyone opt for that, knowing that it would sure make the University really proud. Also KSU is 99% African-American, not that there's anything wrong with that but it would seem highly unlikely that it would be her first choice, It's nothing racist or I didn't intend it to be so don't misinterpret my message.

Then you'd have to question why would anyone opt for that, knowing that it would sure make the University really proud. Also KSU is 99% African-American, not that there's anything wrong with that but it would seem highly unlikely that it would be her first choice, It's nothing racist or I didn't intend it to be so don't misinterpret my message.

kinda racist tbh, unless you can explain why it would be highly unlikely to be her first choice without it having to do with race.

also have a law that might be the law in the LOS. "A person may not be seen in public without a smile on their face."

A Thai friend's favourite joke is "its called the land of smiles because you have a smile on your face when your plane lands, a smile you won't see again until your returning flight takes you home." Its meant as a joke, not any serious insult btw.

I also think its strange that no Yingluck fans are in this thread saying what they enjoyed most during her performance as host of the WEF, her chance to shine and show her elegant leadership skills and natural rapport with other highly educated political thinkers. This thread would be an open goal for her supporters to just say "stop criticising her education and her spoken English and instead judge her on her political track record".

I'm actually feeling a bit sorry for her rabbit-in-the-headlights appearances, she is obviously unhappy in her job and even suffering conflicting emotions about what is right. The saddest part for me when I watch her at WEF and other events, is that last year I actually said ; "I am very cynical about Yingluck's motives for running for PM office. But I sincerely hope that she proves me wrong, tells her brother to go jump in a lake and then she uses the initiative and the well-wishes from many people and becomes this incredible firebrand for reform and egalitarian justice, that future writers will refer to as the 'golden age of Yingluck'. I really hope she proves me wrong about her."

But then she proved me right and sometimes I would really much rather have been wrong.

Edited by Yunla

kinda racist tbh, unless you can explain why it would be highly unlikely to be her first choice without it having to do with race.

ah no, i'm just joking.. i know it's not coming from a racist angle.

you just set it up too easily!

I just don't understand all this concern with her English abilities, her main points were clear and concise. The main point being " i hope you like the the weather, not too hot for you" or something like that.

• Like 1

Ms. Yinglock has better english skills than Big Brother, which is understandable he graduated from the university of the Republic of Texas. English is not spoken in Texas.

Actually I think Thaksin speaks in much more coherent sentences, though it is true his English is choppy. He gets his ideas, such as they are, across. Yingluck does not.

That's because she has no idea.

also have a law that might be the law in the LOS. "A person may not be seen in public without a smile on their face."

A Thai friend's favourite joke is "its called the land of smiles because you have a smile on your face when your plane lands, a smile you won't see again until your returning flight takes you home."

He's easily amused. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Is Abhishit listed on public web sites related to Oxford Alumni ?....and before you answer do you know this for certain and not just repeating from what your heard from someone else ?

To be fair, Abhisit didn't make it to Oxford's Famous Alumni either. So either he didn't make a substantial contribution or they forgot about him but I find it plausible that he did graduate from Oxford since he was born in the UK and made a speech at the University itself. Yingluck, of all Universities in the US chose one in the south which kinda makes you wonder does she even know where Kentucky is? Of course all this can make me look really foolish if she indeed graduated from KSU.

Edited by ThaiOats

As a contrast, with 59 results, SHSU seemed quite pleased their alumni became Prime Minister of Thailand.

shsu.png

I say pleased (past tense) as not much has been mentioned about him there after his criminal activities came to the surface and that's been a pretty long time.

eg.

shinawa.jpg

October 26, 1996 Distinguished Alumni Banquet

Thaksin Shinawatra, 47, is the Deputy Prime Minister of Thailand. He graduated with his doctorate in criminal justice from Sam Houston State University in 1978.

http://www.shsu.edu/...shinawatra.html

Edited by Buchholz

how would that work?

"we educated a prime minister"

"oh yeah, who?"

"can't say"

It would work in Thailand....

"cant say"

"but we can reveal their initals are YS".....tongue.png

Edited by Soutpeel

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that. Yeah maybe Yingluck asked them to remove all mention of her because she might not want it known she went to a "black" college. Also she might not want them perusing the website to the Asian Student Affairs page where they highlight the curriculum for Asian students is "exposure to American university curriculum".

To be fair, Abhisit didn't make it to Oxford's Famous Alumni either. So either he didn't make a substantial contribution or they forgot about him but I find it plausible that he did graduate from Oxford since he was born in the UK and made a speech at the University itself. Yingluck, of all Universities in the US chose one in the south which kinda makes you wonder does she even know where Kentucky is? Of course all this can make me look really foolish if she indeed graduated from KSU.

Is he or isn't he, that is the question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_University_of_Oxford_people_in_public_life_overseas

Scoll down to Heads of State & Heads of Government in alphabetical order.. he's in good company on the Alumni list.

Just to be fair.wai.gif

As a contrast, with 59 results, SHSU seemed quite pleased their alumni became Prime Minister of Thailand.

shsu.png

I say pleased (past tense) as not much has been mentioned about him there after his criminal activities came to the surface and that's been a pretty long time.

eg.

shinawa.jpg

October 26, 1996 Distinguished Alumni Banquet

Thaksin Shinawatra, 47, is the Deputy Prime Minister of Thailand. He graduated with his doctorate in criminal justice from Sam Houston State University in 1978.

http://www.shsu.edu/...shinawatra.html

Please to remove?

Possibly explained by rascist sexual sterotypes?