Gig Aces The Audition Thailand'S Got Talent

Chainsaw

Certainly had a problem with the nerves, but a great voice when she got going.

Where does she sing locally?

In various places around Rawai and she's always in demand at the Yachtie's events. I'll try to find out where her next gig is and let you know.

I very much doubt we will see her regularly singing around Rawai again after this.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quite awful cover to be honest. She's trying way too hard. I hate this Tina Turner way of singing.

I've seen her live a few times in Rawai and she's butchering all kind of songs the same way.

Moreover she's not even good looking and quite ugly when she's singing. I don't understand the hype, there are thousands of similar philipino singer in every bar around asia...

Quite awful cover to be honest. She's trying way too hard. I hate this Tina Turner way of singing.

I've seen her live a few times in Rawai and she's butchering all kind of songs the same way.

Moreover she's not even good looking and quite ugly when she's singing. I don't understand the hype, there are thousands of similar philipino singer in every bar around asia...

Thats exactly the point, she's Thai not philipino, please en lighting me to any other Thai that can sing as you say like Tina turner and with such dynamic range and power, if you dislike Gigs performances so much i thought the once not a few time would have been enough, mentioning looks is a bit below the belt and that is a personal and nasty opinion, what exactly are you credentials to be such a commentator on this subject of singing and looks.

Have you taken into account the equipment she uses, all the greats in singing distought there mouths and faces to gain vocal range, even the good looking ones, if it was a one on one contest Gig on vocal technique and range would wipe the floor of any other female asian singer,

you are 100% incorrect, you clearly know nothing about the technical and equipment side of things, manipulation of the manderval (jaw bone), diaphragm and mouth cavity.

The hype as you call it is exactly the "it factor, X factor, that girls got something factor", how ever much you want to knock this girl down, which clearly you are, millions of people now have identified with her as something special, can you say that about yourself,

the simplest way to describe you is as in the very very small minority of critics, please let us all know your profession now are in the past, if i contacted your ex colleges from work, a small amount would be critical of you, you always get them, you my friend you!!!!!

If she could work on her pronunciation a bit in a few areas and avoid becoming too "shouty" with a powerful song then she's got to be among the best Thais singing in English out there. Good luck to her and her dreams. It's better than these Academy Fantasia winners where the decent singers fall by the wayside in favour of some pretty boy or girl.

Edited by mca

We are all entitled to our opinions, but you need to consider that she most likely has not had any formal training and is singing in a non-native language. Yes, she is rough around the edges, but with some guidance in attire, presentation and honing her voice, she will succeed. What she does have is raw talent, something you don't find every day.

Ok Guys , Gig is from South Thailand and came to Phuket on demand from here '' Uncle '' Mr sack who was performing in Sing and Kl , we came back to Thailand . Gig was the singer in there new logcal band . The idea of Mr. Sack was to open a live band bar in Rawai and he openend it ( almost opposit the 7/11 main road, where is a French Rest now) . As far as I understand there was 1 or 2 performances and then a fall out between Uncle an Gig and Gig wend here way as Sack ( ebentualy he closed up the place and we dont see him in Rawai anymore ?/ ) . Gig kept on singing in the local Bars .

It is true that Gig left school at a young age as during here '' waithress period'' she was confused on several occasions .

Her singing , I would say that she is making progress in here prononciation of text , at the time I had the feeling that she not alway's understand what she was singen and it gave me the parrot feeling . Here voice is matured in the meantime and here social live has improved here English skills as understanding what she is singing . The minor point I have seen on here performance was the facial expression ( some work to do here ( No i'm not a proffesional - but I'm not blind ))

Personnality , my experience with Gig is that she can be moodish but that has mostly to do with here '' Not understanding '', you got a situation of trow it in the air and we will see how it land.

I wish goodluck to Gig in all what she is dooing , I alway's support Poeple that wand to improve , learn and go for it .clap2.gif

• Like 2

She is good but can't win.

She could be the best singer in the country but her look and background won't allow her success in the country that's obssessed with image but can make a good living doing bar gigs.

All the best.

I blogged it and FB twitter and g+ , 1.7mill views is outstanding, and that's 99% of Thais in America viewing it !!!

As one ex-pat living here , I know at least 5 or more ladies of Thai origin living in America.One ex- , 3 friends , one I'd rather not know lol!

Not everybody talented in Thailand started out rich , Tata Young for example

! I mean part of the journey she's on will require her having hair & make-up artists that the TV show will supply. They know people root for underdogs with great voices !

She is good but can't win.

She could be the best singer in the country but her look and background won't allow her success in the country that's obssessed with image but can make a good living doing bar gigs.

All the best.

Gig is going for the big time which many of us here have been hoping she would do for a while.

She is not 20 years old like so many of the new stars. But she sure does have talent, and that's easy to see.

Sure not everyone likes her song selection. My wife tells me comments on the youtube page are running about 90% positive, 10% negative, which is great for a youtube hit. (1.7 million hits now is by far the most of "Thailand's Got Talent" performers and she's only been there 5 days!)

Train her in dance, stage presence, let some professionals make her up and the right clothes and she can be a big hit here because, like many have pointed out: She's the first Thai singer who can sing farang songs with hardly an accent! And she's GOOD!

She sings on key. And that's the one reason I normally never watch these shows. I hate it when they sing flat, like so many karaoke singers in this country.

And maybe most importantly, she has energy and emotion. (again, so unlike many Thai singers)

I'll be watching for her next performance.

Good luck Gig!

I think she is more clever than we give her credit for. All of us who have seen her perform in and around Rawai know that she dresses (usually) like a killer and she also knows very well how to use the ladies toolbox (make up). So way would she go on National TV dressed like she did and with no make up ??

I think she is playing the public with her "poor girl act" and she is doing a hell of a job. I bet next time she'll be in full "glory".

She wants to make it big ( as she deserves in my opinion) and she is making sure the hype will continue.

• Like 1

BubbleGum.....You are completely correct about her "playing the public with her "poor girl act" and she is doing a hell of a job” People are liking her as well because they see her as sympathetic and genuine. Thais are all over this type of stuff. She does have a good voice, but unfortunately she will never breakthrough in the western music industry. I do appreciate that fact that she is following her dreams and making an effort to make something better out of her life.

Does she also sing in Thai in her native language?

Anyways, I wish her the best and hopefully she can make it. At least out of having to perform in the backwoods bars of Rawai.

Also why did the first judge to ask her "What was the highest grade she completed in school?"

What type of off the wall question is this....geeez

Edited by FlyByNights

Thats exactly the point, she's Thai not philipino, please en lighting me to any other Thai that can sing as you say like Tina turner and with such dynamic range and power, if you dislike Gigs performances so much i thought the once not a few time would have been enough, mentioning looks is a bit below the belt and that is a personal and nasty opinion, what exactly are you credentials to be such a commentator on this subject of singing and looks.

Have you taken into account the equipment she uses, all the greats in singing distought there mouths and faces to gain vocal range, even the good looking ones, if it was a one on one contest Gig on vocal technique and range would wipe the floor of any other female asian singer,

you are 100% incorrect, you clearly know nothing about the technical and equipment side of things, manipulation of the manderval (jaw bone), diaphragm and mouth cavity.

The hype as you call it is exactly the "it factor, X factor, that girls got something factor", how ever much you want to knock this girl down, which clearly you are, millions of people now have identified with her as something special, can you say that about yourself,

the simplest way to describe you is as in the very very small minority of critics, please let us all know your profession now are in the past, if i contacted your ex colleges from work, a small amount would be critical of you, you always get them, you my friend you!!!!!

Chill out man, is this singer your girlfriend or someting?

As a music lover I am perfectly entitled to my opinion, even though i don't know anything about vocal techniques or I didn't get one millions views in my youtube video which doesn't exist yet!

And my opinion is that not only she's only performing bad covers but she's also copying the singing style of another famous singer. That's hardly original and that's why I don't understand the hype and the millions views.

I don't really care if she's the only thai who can sing this way (actually for the sake of my ears it should remain like that) when thousands of wannabe singer can do the same around the world. Her vocal techniques and range may be good but so are Celine Dion's, and all of her songs are terrible.

My comment about her distorted face when she sings is not gratuitous, for people like me who can stand her voice, it's also painful to watch, and it's also a huge handicap in a contest where looks are so important.

Anyway, good luck to her, but if she's the rising star of thailand, it's a bit sad.

• Like 1

I wish her luck, but, let's be realistic, her voice is no better than the Filapinas I've heard in dozens of hotel lounges and night-clubs around the world.

She'll always make a living, but, unless she writes her own songs, she'll never stand out from the crowd.

In Phuket, she was a big fish in a very small pond.

• Like 1

I think she is more clever than we give her credit for. All of us who have seen her perform in and around Rawai know that she dresses (usually) like a killer and she also knows very well how to use the ladies toolbox (make up). So way would she go on National TV dressed like she did and with no make up ??

I think she is playing the public with her "poor girl act" and she is doing a hell of a job. I bet next time she'll be in full "glory".

She wants to make it big ( as she deserves in my opinion) and she is making sure the hype will continue.

I was wondering how much of it was act and how much real. If acted, she's good at it, which is a positive thing for a performer, but a poor girl act might backfire later on in the competition. I'm not so sure Thais are suckers for the underdog when things get tight. She doesn't need it anyway, the talent for singing should carry her up. Just by popping into public consciousness she's made it already.

As a music lover I am perfectly entitled to my opinion, even though i don't know anything about vocal techniques or I didn't get one millions views in my youtube video which doesn't exist yet!

And my opinion is that not only she's only performing bad covers but she's also copying the singing style of another famous singer. That's hardly original and that's why I don't understand the hype and the millions views.

I don't really care if she's the only thai who can sing this way (actually for the sake of my ears it should remain like that) when thousands of wannabe singer can do the same around the world. Her vocal techniques and range may be good but so are Celine Dion's, and all of her songs are terrible.

My comment about her distorted face when she sings is not gratuitous, for people like me who can stand her voice, it's also painful to watch, and it's also a huge handicap in a contest where looks are so important.

Anyway, good luck to her, but if she's the rising star of thailand, it's a bit sad.

what a complete cop out and U turn by yourself, now your backtracking, give us your insight into good cover songs, when you go to watch a singer i thought the whole idea was the song was as close to the original, unless why sing it or want to listen to it, daaa!!!!, why is it sad if gig is a rising star in thailand, it sounds as though your a competitor, envious, wishing as though it was you instead of gig, even if she didn't get any further in the competition, she fulfill her dream for sure, way to go miss gig

I have to correct you, its actually millions.

Difference is, people who know they are not stars (if you are a star you always get discovered, those shows never discovered anyone truly great like madonna or an other huge icon, even Mr Bieber was discovered on a street corner) so they stick to cover bands and backup singing/teaching. Then you have the massive lazy ego wannabes that audition for those shows to get a quick push to the top. They fool the audience which knows nothing about music and business and think they've just cracked the code and are now better than the million others struggling 'artist' and then even if they win, they disappear quite fast or appeal to a small market only and only because that market is dumb and they soon realize that their whole career is a lie and then they disappear in shame.

But still. Good luck to her. Thailand has a lot more of these at home pro-music recruiters. And a lot of people ready to follow and bui merchandise from stuff they dont even like just because someone white on tv told them to. So she'll be able to do great. A country of 20 million+ above 18 years old kids. No one wishes anyone to fail, she should just know that she wasnt born to be a superstar or she'd already be one.

Edited by Hostile17

........and the trolls come out of the woodwork.

The only thing that's ugly on this thread is their ugly mindset. What sad lives they must lead, I really do pity them.

I'll leave it to Gig to show them what sad, stupid people they are when she next performs on TGT. They're going to look even bigger fools when they look back on their bigotted, uninformed comments, I'm lookin forward to that!

The contestants are told not to wear make-up and to dress down for the auditions BTW ...helloo? jerk.gif

• Like 1

no he's right. The old men know when they see talent when a local band plays some cover in a small bar while they 'charm' their 40 year old tatoo'ed conquest of the night.

These guys are professional. Their opinion on a singer is the only that matters. Years of statistic mean nothing. Dont argue.

Nobody is wishing her to fail, she just's going to. Even susan boyles kinds of fail outside the UK and there she's just liked because the most influential people of the country told their peons to love her.

If she proves me wrong, ill be glad for her though.

Edited by Hostile17

Jai Yen Yen.....There is a logical explanation to all this, it is called being on the bandwagon, which I can see some members are defiantly on like flies on shyt.

"The bandwagon effect is a well documented form of groupthink in behavioral science and has many applications. The general rule is that conduct or beliefs spread among people, as fads and trends clearly do, with "the probability of any individual adopting it increasing with the proportion who have already done so".[1] As more people come to believe in something, others also "hop on the bandwagon" regardless of the underlying evidence. The tendency to follow the actions or beliefs of others can occur because individuals directly prefer to conform, or because individuals derive information from others. Both explanations have been used for evidence of conformity in psychological experiments"

1 Colman, Andrew (2003). Oxford Dictionary of Psychology. New York: Oxford University Press. p. 77. ISBN 0-19-280632-7.

http://en.wikipedia....andwagon_effect

Jai Yen Yen.....There is a logical explanation to all this, it is called being on the bandwagon, which I can see some members are defiantly on like flies on shyt.

"The bandwagon effect is a well documented form of groupthink in behavioral science and has many applications. The general rule is that conduct or beliefs spread among people, as fads and trends clearly do, with "the probability of any individual adopting it increasing with the proportion who have already done so".[1] As more people come to believe in something, others also "hop on the bandwagon" regardless of the underlying evidence. The tendency to follow the actions or beliefs of others can occur because individuals directly prefer to conform, or because individuals derive information from others. Both explanations have been used for evidence of conformity in psychological experiments"

1 Colman, Andrew (2003). Oxford Dictionary of Psychology. New York: Oxford University Press. p. 77. ISBN 0-19-280632-7.

And your point being!!!!!, i'll quote stuff out the bible but it doesn't make me a priest, or are you talking about religion there, we are talking about a local girl singer, thats all!!!, why oh why do farang have this mindset of knock downs and put downs, as chainsaw says "Gig will prove you all wrong", indeed she's already proven more then any ones expectations, her rare talent, way to go gig

It's been quite a few times, be it a race, elections or whatever other competitive situations, that I've found to like the competitor, but didn't want anything to do with the crowds cheering him/her/them. Hype is something that can turn ugly real quick. Just sayin'.

When's the next TGT-performance due then ?

And your point being!!!!!, i'll quote stuff out the bible but it doesn't make me a priest, or are you talking about religion there, we are talking about a local girl singer, thats all!!!, why oh why do farang have this mindset of , as chainsaw says "Gig will prove you all wrong", indeed she's already proven more then any ones expectations, her rare talent, way to go gig

The point is your on the bandwagon. Period.

Rare talent ? Yeah sure for Rawai, but surly you are not implying she is world class talent are you?

Where do you get the "knock downs and put downs" from? I don't think anyone has said she sucks have they?

KB was spot on when he said " her voice is no better than the Filipinas I've heard in dozens of hotel lounges and night-clubs around the world". This is fact, maybe it's because you know her personally that you keep cheering her on? Once is enough and we get your point already.

I could almost picture a tear drop coming down your eye when you quoted "Gig will prove you all wrong".

Take it easy Superman...

I just looked at the video and find it amazing that so many people think it's great. She has an ok karaoke voice.

I dont mind listening to new interpretations of other peoples' songs, but it should be an attempt to interpret it newly and not just copy. Copy is Karaoke and there are millions of people with great voices.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

what a complete cop out and U turn by yourself, now your backtracking, give us your insight into good cover songs, when you go to watch a singer i thought the whole idea was the song was as close to the original, unless why sing it or want to listen to it, daaa!!!!, why is it sad if gig is a rising star in thailand, it sounds as though your a competitor, envious, wishing as though it was you instead of gig, even if she didn't get any further in the competition, she fulfill her dream for sure, way to go miss gig

Sorry but I fail to see how I was backtracking my opinion in my last post.

Anyway my opinion on good covers is the complete opposite, if the cover is a clone of the original then it has no artistic value, no originality and the performer is no different than a karaoke singer. A different tempo, opposite style of music, subtil changes in the arrangement and personal interpretation may result in a great cover. Of course there is no magic receipe and most of the times the result is goofy (like with Gig when she uses her big Tina Turner voice for pretty much all kind of songs), then it's at least better to listen to an actual clone of the original song...

Of course it's not sad for Gig if she becomes a rising star, but it's sad for the state of music in Thailand if the country's new star is a copy of an outdated western music star... Even here where the musical culture is very low, there should not be any shortage of real musicians who actually performs original music created by themselves with their own style. Those guys should be the receipient of the new hype...

Cover that arent karaoke usually sucks because the original song is great and the covering artist is NOT a star and does not have the ability to make us forget the original and love his interpretation. So on those shows id rather hear the karaoke version.

Pretty much the only person who's been able to make new versions of amazing songs on those shows is adam lambert but when he finaly got a recording contract he became a terrible artist.

An other one would be carrie underwood, and now she's a mega international star. Rare talent. Gig is just an average talent. My home town has hundred of those girls and my home province has thousands and my home country has probably a million +. Most of them know their place as singing teachers/vocal coaches/backup singers/small band singers. They leave the stardom to those who can write their own amazing lyrics/melody or were born under a lucky star with the whole package and discovered/loved after the first non-family person saw them perform just like every big star.

Singers on those shows are simply re****** like those doing acrobatics. Even if they are great, they dont deserve their own show unless they can come up with a long act themselves that we've never seen(for a singer that would be an amazing melody to 12 song that could be featured on the radio tomorrow), that would be boring, they belong in a big circus like cirque du soleil. But no. Some self-centered people think that they should be rewarded more than all the other people equally as good as them just because they show up for a tv audition.

And your point being!!!!!, i'll quote stuff out the bible but it doesn't make me a priest, or are you talking about religion there, we are talking about a local girl singer, thats all!!!, why oh why do farang have this mindset of , as chainsaw says "Gig will prove you all wrong", indeed she's already proven more then any ones expectations, her rare talent, way to go gig

The point is your on the bandwagon. Period.

Rare talent ? Yeah sure for Rawai, but surly you are not implying she is world class talent are you?

Where do you get the "knock downs and put downs" from? I don't think anyone has said she sucks have they?

KB was spot on when he said " her voice is no better than the Filipinas I've heard in dozens of hotel lounges and night-clubs around the world". This is fact, maybe it's because you know her personally that you keep cheering her on? Once is enough and we get your point already.

I could almost picture a tear drop coming down your eye when you quoted "Gig will prove you all wrong".

Take it easy Superman...

Thanks you for the superman tag, totally justified and so is yours!!!!!, over 1.8 million hits on youtube is further then Rawai, world class, even gig would laugh at that being said about her, the knock downs, read all the thread!!, someone better, doesn't matter if it music, business, arts, etc, there's always better, very Nieve to think any other, cheering gig on, yip as long as it takes, tears in my eyes, i've got a somebody in hospital dying, there real tears.