Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Gig Aces The Audition Thailand'S Got Talent

Chainsaw

you know that video of a cat dressed as a pop-tart with the annoying repeat music has 40million views

and each of bierber's video has 100 millions of views

Doesnt make it talent. In fact most auditions for american idol and america's got talent have 1million view.

Even william hung has 1.5million on this video and countless millions on others

Hell there's a video of my girlfriend on youtube where she states that she needs to pee and pee loving perverts got me 22 000views already (with no tag in my video). Views mean nothing in regards to talent. It just means that thais are sheeps and don't have much else to do when they sit in front of a computer. The quality on the video is so poor that anyone being able to say that she is a truly great singer is lying their face off or a complete retard

Edited by Hostile17

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what a complete cop out and U turn by yourself, now your backtracking, give us your insight into good cover songs, when you go to watch a singer i thought the whole idea was the song was as close to the original, unless why sing it or want to listen to it, daaa!!!!, why is it sad if gig is a rising star in thailand, it sounds as though your a competitor, envious, wishing as though it was you instead of gig, even if she didn't get any further in the competition, she fulfill her dream for sure, way to go miss gig

Sorry but I fail to see how I was backtracking my opinion in my last post.

Anyway my opinion on good covers is the complete opposite, if the cover is a clone of the original then it has no artistic value, no originality and the performer is no different than a karaoke singer. A different tempo, opposite style of music, subtil changes in the arrangement and personal interpretation may result in a great cover. Of course there is no magic receipe and most of the times the result is goofy (like with Gig when she uses her big Tina Turner voice for pretty much all kind of songs), then it's at least better to listen to an actual clone of the original song...

Of course it's not sad for Gig if she becomes a rising star, but it's sad for the state of music in Thailand if the country's new star is a copy of an outdated western music star... Even here where the musical culture is very low, there should not be any shortage of real musicians who actually performs original music created by themselves with their own style. Those guys should be the receipient of the new hype...

ahhhhh, the heavens have opened and a new musical impresario is born, write that formula down, i'm agreeing, yes agreeing, there will be such people sitting there bedrooms in thailand and all around the world, but gig took her shot, in the right place at the right time, that exactly what i'm trying to get across, all around the world theres better singers, musicians, song writers that never see the light of day, opportunity meets desire =something, rarer then nothing

I don't bother with these shows anymore as the setups are contrived and it is a modern day version of throwing people to the lions.

It's all about ratings and selling advertising isn't it. Nothing is as entertaining as watching a meltdown, and sometimes the performers get a little push in that direction, don't they?

One show, they laud a performer, and the next show, the knives are out.

Appreciably, it is a chance for a quality performer to get some visibility and have a shot at something they might not otherwise have. However, the likelihood of public humiliation and ridicule is more likely, even if the performer is a decent person and has some talent.

These judges for X- Idol, X has Talent, The Voice, X- Dancing are marginal at best and some of their comments are cringeworthy.

That being said, to the lady, chok dee.

My my, what made you so cynical?

So you think Gig may have been 'encouraged' to get upset like that? If that's true and she was acting I've never seen a better performance - Oscar nomination for sure.

You understood all the Thai judges comments? Tell us what they said, especially the cringeworthy stuff please.

Mate don't forget this is the Doom and Gloom forum.

As we both know Gig I wish her all the best and hope she goes all the way.

Actually had a lump in my throat watching her.

These shows are scripted and the producers often have selected the contestants that they want to progress long before the shows air. Yes, the shows can be exciting as viewers are drawn in, but make no mistake, these are not fair competitions. There have been some shows where the judges use prescripted comments. The classic example was in 2009 when Paula Abdul of American Idol infamy made comments about a contestant's performance, before he had performed the song she was commenting about.

The prize at the end is a recording contract is it not? Do you not think that the producers have already established the parameters of what they want? The end result through skillful editing, and staging, the performers the producers want are promoted, while those they dislike are thrown under the bus.

The producers of these shows do not make any claim to the shows being actual open contests. They call them reality entertainment. This saves them from the legal implications of claiming they are actual bonafide competitions. It is not gloom and doom to state the obvious that these shows are not fair competitions. If you are entertained by the show, great. However, do not for one minute assume that the contestants are fairly judged on their talent, because they are not.

I love the way the experts come out of the woodwork. One often opens ones mouth to change feet! You did it splendidly. How little you know...

Joe Cocker did ok with only cover songs.

Music is like politics and religion. Nobody agrees but....... at least people who do not agree can talk in a civil manner about it. Can we please ????

I would like it very much to follow Gig's road to "fame", everybody is entitled to his or hers 5 minutes of fame without it being spoiled by others.

You like her or you don't. Simple as that. You do not have to try convince others she is good or bad.

For me it is nice to see some lady from Rawai trying to climb the ladder of life.

Tnx

Music is like politics and religion. Nobody agrees but....... at least people who do not agree can talk in a civil manner about it. Can we please ????

I would like it very much to follow Gig's road to "fame", everybody is entitled to his or hers 5 minutes of fame without it being spoiled by others.

You like her or you don't. Simple as that. You do not have to try convince others she is good or bad.

For me it is nice to see some lady from Rawai trying to climb the ladder of life.

Tnx

Thanks for that bubblegum.

Speaking for all the musicians on the island who have accompanied Gig at various times. We have always been aware that Gig has that special 'something' and that she needed a wider audience. She has now got that audience and, judging by the early reaction, I'm convinced that she is going to soar! Go Gig! clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

I've seen Gig a few times, tons of talent, I'm just not huge on a lot of the music she does.

When I hear that Three Non-Blondes "Whats Going on" I need a gun to shoot myself, can't stand that song.

Chainsaw, how about getting her to do "Sweet Child Of Mine"? Axel hits notes most men can't there (other than the Maroon 5 guy I think...), so I think a lady doing that tune would be great. Cheers, GOM

Tnx

well said mate

Tnx

well said mate

In the history of Pop music there has been hundreds of acts that cant sing.cant write.do cover versions and many of them have made money ok they dont last a long time give the girl a break i am sure she will have more success than she has had in the past so i say good luck to her

Tnx

well said mate

In the history of Pop music there has been hundreds of acts that cant sing.cant write.do cover versions and many of them have made money ok they dont last a long time give the girl a break i am sure she will have more success than she has had in the past so i say good luck to her

I agree everybody deserves a break, but some members really take things way to personal. I see this only as a show, and very well produced one which I know is advertised and marketed well in over 44 countries worldwide. Thailand’s actually is the 5th in Asia. I believe we are 1 week past the audition stage? First Round ? Maybe somebody can fill us in...

You see unlike some members on this forum, which I now assume they know this girl personally, some of us have no clue who this girl is, and have never had the opportunity to actually see her perform down in Phuket. Someone provided a video on this thread, and so now you’re going to get some feedback that some people might not like. It’s only normal opinionated feedback, nothing personal.

The top prize is awesome, 5 million baht cash, a condo and a brand new car. Best part of it all, is that the winner will also receive a record contract from Sony. Not bad at all for someone that just walks up into an audition and makes it. These shows are supposed to get into the emotions of the viewers, and also give the opportunity of a lifetime to someone who as always dreamed to be a star. She is extremely fortunate to be in the position she is in now. I’m sure there were 100’s of people that got wacked during the auditions.

I really do wish her the best of luck, but for your everyday ordinarily viewer, and speaking personally to someone who is very familiar with the workings within the music industry music; not speaking as friend or someone you have jammed out to while drinking at the bar, the video just didn’t cut it to make me personally believe she is on the road to Superstardom….

I have never said she sucks, she is ugly, or that her voice sounds like shyt have I? In fact I personally think she sounds ok, and considering there is absolutely NO other competition (lady singers) as of yet, she stands one hell of a chance to win the show, and at the same time steal away the hearts of millions more on the bandwagon such as some people on this thread. If I knew her too, I would probably be on the bandwagon myself, but I'm not.

I don’t think the ladyboy dancing, or the man with the lady voice signing, are going to be any real threat to her in the next comming round.

BTW: Here is last year’s winner singing Ava Maria in perfect Italian, maybe it’s time for another girl singer to win, but this time singing in English.

Edited by FlyByNights
  • Like 2

I agree everybody deserves a break, but some members really take things way to personal. I see this only as a show, and very well produced one which I know is advertised and marketed well in over 44 countries worldwide. Thailand’s actually is the 5th in Asia. I believe we are 1 week past the audition stage? First Round ? Maybe somebody can fill us in...

You see unlike some members on this forum, which I now assume they know this girl personally, some of us have no clue who this girl is, and have never had the opportunity to actually see her perform down in Phuket. Someone provided a video on this thread, and so now you’re going to get some feedback that some people might not like. It’s only normal opinionated feedback, nothing personal.

The top prize is awesome, 5 million baht cash, a condo and a brand new car. Best part of it all, is that the winner will also receive a record contract from Sony. Not bad at all for someone that just walks up into an audition and makes it. These shows are supposed to get into the emotions of the viewers, and also give the opportunity of a lifetime to someone who as always dreamed to be a star. She is extremely fortunate to be in the position she is in now. I’m sure there were 100’s of people that got wacked during the auditions.

I really do wish her the best of luck, but for your everyday ordinarily viewer, and speaking personally to someone who is very familiar with the workings within the music industry music; not speaking as friend or someone you have jammed out to while drinking at the bar, the video just didn’t cut it to make me personally believe she is on the road to Superstardom….

I have never said she sucks, she is ugly, or that her voice sounds like shyt have I? In fact I personally think she sounds ok, and considering there is absolutely NO other competition (lady singers) as of yet, she stands one hell of a chance to win the show, and at the same time steal away the hearts of millions more on the bandwagon such as some people on this thread. If I knew her too, I would probably be on the bandwagon myself, but I'm not.

I don’t think the ladyboy dancing, or the man with the lady’s voice signing are going to be any real threat to her in the next comming rounds.

BTW: Here is last year’s winner singing Ava Maria in perfect Italian, maybe it’s time for another girl singer to win, but this time singing in English.

That reply is as balanced, honest and accurate as can be IMO. There is no need to give her any unnecessary criticism, but getting upset because somebody is giving their honest opinion (which is probably spot on) just because you know her personally, is a bit daft IMO.

Wish her all the best, she has a great voice but is nothing special IMO.

Edited by HongKongPhooey

I don’t think the ladyboy dancing, or the man with the lady’s voice signing are going to be any real threat to her in the next comming rounds.

That reply is as balanced, honest and accurate as can be IMO. There is no need to give her any unnecessary criticism, but getting upset because somebody is giving their honest opinion (which is probably spot on) just because you know her personally, is a bit daft IMO.

Wish her all the best, she has a great voice but is nothing special IMO.

I also have a bit of experience with raw talent. At the time I was manager of a blues/rock band and a very young girl auditioned. At 16 years old she was already great, at 18 years old I passed her along to a friend ( George Kooimans of the "Golden Earrings") and she made it really, really big !

My point is; when raw talent gets discovered by pro's in the music industry they then can basically make or bread a career. From nothing "special" to a superstar is not as far as 1 might think.

I have seen her perform, she's ok for a wedding/birthday kind of thing BUT I have also seen her (once) performing with some awesome artists ( my apologies for Chainsaw and the rest) and they were able to get the best out of her.

Anyway, I'm happy the thread is open again and we can discuss this, and follow Gig's progress, in a civilized manner.

[

Myra Molloy didn't sing Ave Maria in TGT. In the final she sang "Think of me" (in perfect English) and "Time to say goodbye" in a mix of Italian and English (both songs from Phantom of the Opera). Some of the negative comments directed towards her on Youtube after the final were awful.

I kind of liked Gig - at least she didn't bring along a dancing dog!

Come on bubblegum, you can't leave me and 'the rest' dangling like that! We'll never be able to sleep again from wondering who were these awesome artists and where was the event?

Give us some details please.

You're right in the fact that there was only so far Gig could take it in Phuket, but think she will be with the right kind of people now who will be showing her how to put that extra 'professional polish' on her performance. She already has the talent and lots of experience, I'm looking forward to seeing where she takes it next.

[

Myra Molloy didn't sing Ave Maria in TGT. In the final she sang "Think of me" (in perfect English) and "Time to say goodbye" in a mix of Italian and English (both songs from Phantom of the Opera). Some of the negative comments directed towards her on Youtube after the final were awful.

I kind of liked Gig - at least she didn't bring along a dancing dog!

Yeah your right, wrong song title sorry, but still ok for in regards to her voice, don't you think. She did win... I didn’t catch last year's performances.

You have the link of the person who came with the dog....don’t tell me Myra came with the dog, did she?

She is good but can't win.

She could be the best singer in the country but her look and background won't allow her success in the country that's obssessed with image but can make a good living doing bar gigs.

All the best.

Shhh. You will upset the people that buy into these shows and actually believe they are fair contests. They don't understand that the shows are scripted and that the producers already know who they want in the top 20, the top 10 and the top 5. The producers have all sorts of ways in which to influence the outome, from song selections, to arrangements, to placement (the 1st slot is called the pimp slot), to wardrobe, to how they present the background story. If an undesired person gets too far, something negative falls out of the tree. For example, there was the poor guy on American Idol, that had his stint as a waiter and "performer" in a gay stripper bar exposed, the chap on UK X factor, that had his sex life leaked etc. The performers gamble their dignity and privacy in hopes of getting publicity. Sometimes it works, but most often it leaves a broken person behind. Does anyone remember all the people in previous shows that had some buzz? No, they do not.

Come on bubblegum, you can't leave me and 'the rest' dangling like that! We'll never be able to sleep again from wondering who were these awesome artists and where was the event?

You're right in the fact that there was only so far Gig could take it in Phuket, but think she will be with the right kind of people now who will be showing her how to put that extra 'professional polish' on her performance. She already has the talent and lots of experience, I'm looking forward to seeing where she takes it next.

Google Anouk

Google Anouk

I don't get it bubblegum, I know who Anouk is but it doesn't answer my question. Who were the 'awesome artists' you saw Gig performing with?

Just spoke to Gig and she says her next appearance on TGT will be on 29th July.

I,918,761 hits on Youtube already!!!

HOORAY ! Go Gig Go !

Chainsaw maybe on the 29th we can get a group together to watch.

Sounds like a plan!

Jai Yen Yen.....There is a logical explanation to all this, it is called being on the bandwagon, which I can see some members are defiantly on like flies on shyt.

"The bandwagon effect is a well documented form of groupthink in behavioral science and has many applications. The general rule is that conduct or beliefs spread among people, as fads and trends clearly do, with "the probability of any individual adopting it increasing with the proportion who have already done so".[1] As more people come to believe in something, others also "hop on the bandwagon" regardless of the underlying evidence. The tendency to follow the actions or beliefs of others can occur because individuals directly prefer to conform, or because individuals derive information from others. Both explanations have been used for evidence of conformity in psychological experiments"

1 Colman, Andrew (2003). Oxford Dictionary of Psychology. New York: Oxford University Press. p. 77. ISBN 0-19-280632-7.

http://en.wikipedia....andwagon_effect

And your point being!!!!!, i'll quote stuff out the bible but it doesn't make me a priest, or are you talking about religion there, we are talking about a local girl singer, thats all!!!, why oh why do farang have this mindset of , as chainsaw says "Gig will prove you all wrong", indeed she's already proven more then any ones expectations, her rare talent, way to go gig

The point is your on the bandwagon. Period.

Rare talent ? Yeah sure for Rawai, but surly you are not implying she is world class talent are you?

Where do you get the "knock downs and put downs" from? I don't think anyone has said she sucks have they?

KB was spot on when he said " her voice is no better than the Filipinas I've heard in dozens of hotel lounges and night-clubs around the world". This is fact, maybe it's because you know her personally that you keep cheering her on? Once is enough and we get your point already.

I could almost picture a tear drop coming down your eye when you quoted "Gig will prove you all wrong".

Take it easy Superman...

Thanks you for the superman tag, totally justified and so is yours!!!!!, over 1.8 million hits on youtube is further then Rawai, world class, even gig would laugh at that being said about her, the knock downs, read all the thread!!, someone better, doesn't matter if it music, business, arts, etc, there's always better, very Nieve to think any other, cheering gig on, yip as long as it takes, tears in my eyes, i've got a somebody in hospital dying, there real tears.

Just to let you know me friend died in Vitchira hospital on thur's flybynight,

I am sorry about your loss, my condolences go out to you.

The tears in your eye statement wasn't made to have anything to do with your friend. In fact, I try not to interpret people posts on threads to a degree where I feel it's gets too personal for me, and it starts affecting my psychological well being. I suggest you do the same.

Personally Britpop, I honestly think you shouldn’t be sharing your inner most personal feelings on a thread, you already know that they’re different people out there, and already know that you and your friends are not the only people that will reply to a forum thread such as this. I would suggest today you just relax, and reflect on the good memories you had with your friend. Good friends are extremely hard to find, I’m sure we can agree on this?

Don't get to serious to what people are liking or not liking about something so insignificant as a thread such as this.

I hope you feel better soon. RIP to your friend

Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.

Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

This is a list of people/ celebrities (like them or not) who have been in various talent shows (like them or not) and achieved what they wanted in life.. The list is in no particular order (like it or not)

Pat Boone

Gladys Knight

Justin Bieber

Connie Francis

Paul Potts

Jimmie Rodgers

Rihanna

Beyonce

Ann Margret

Susan Boyle

Frank Sinatra

Justin Timberlake