Some Questions

miksguevara

It puzzles me why anyone would want to take there kids to the UK to put them through school there....my kids (I have 2 young girls) are staying in this country warts an all, then they can decide when they are old enough if they want to work/study overseas...

While that course of action may be optimal for you and your family, everyone has different circumstances.

Would you be puzzled if someone told you they want their children to be educated at one of the best schools in the world?

Which Thai schools offer an equivalent education to Eton, Westminster, Charterhouse, Dulwich or Wycombe Abbey?

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Beam me up Scotty.

There are no guarantees of anything. You can put your children throught the best schools possible and pay a fortune but they could still grow up to be a wrong'un. Besides, I wouldn't want my lad to be a public schoolboy.

Best of luck.

When you cross the road, do you open your eyes or keep them closed?

Obviously, going to a great school does not guarantee a child's success in life

It is, however, preferable to sending them to a not-great school

Plenty of good schools in Thailand. Granted, maybe not as good as the schools that you mentioned, but the rub is you have to live in the UK for the next 20 years without even a guarantee of your sons success.

I'll take my chances here thanks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to rescind Thai citizenship. Can either pay around 30,000 - 40,000 baht at the Amphur to obtain papers that cancel his national service obligation (can be faciltated by Thai family member in Thailand, to be collected when he's on holiday in Thailand, as we did. Or return to Thailand after he turns 30

But of course once someone pays over the 30-40k...one can never come back on TV and get on a soapbox about corruption in Thailand or complain about the police wanting backhanders ever ever again...rolleyes.gif

Oh I didn't know about that TV policy...

Its not a policy but could leave one open to comments like "hypocrite"....wink.png

Then there must be a lot of hypocrites contributing to TV - end

Plenty of good schools in Thailand. Granted, maybe not as good as the schools that you mentioned, but the rub is you have to live in the UK for the next 20 years without even a guarantee of your sons success.

I'll take my chances here thanks.

Plenty? No, I'd say maybe 5-7, and AFAIK all over half a million per year per child.

The rest IMO aren't even equivalent to the bottom 25% of government schools in the US, and I don't claim things are all that great there - they're **all** much much worse that the very worst school say in Finland.

Of course if your kids are very very bright and very very self-motivated, they can do well anywhere, but those aren't good odds to count on for normal people. If you want them to have a decent opportunity of getting into the top 10% of any field anywhere civilized, you wouldn't stay here for their education unless you put them through one of the top-tier international schools.

Then there must be a lot of hypocrites contributing to TV - end

Of course there are, no group of humans anywhere on this earth free from huge doses of hypocrisy, as fundamental to the human condition as selfishness, desire for pleasure, laziness all the many imperfections we enjoy.

And we may benefit from the chaos and corruption here, but still in our more idealistic moments dream of Thailand having leaders that actually cared about the country as a whole rather than hanging on to their big chunk of the pie.

• Like 1

The Thai military draft/conscription is done by lottery.

The names for the lottery come from house registrations. If the young man is not on a house registration because he resides out of country, he won't be notified to attend the lottery.

The number of young men required by the military each year varies by need. In a year that doesn't need as many men, the chances of actually drafted is reduced. I believe there is some formula so that draftees are divided up equally by province/amphur, and by the actual number of eligible boys in each area.

There are ways to legally be exempt from the lottery. Paying money is not a legal way, and could bite the boy in the backside in his future.

Probably the easiest exemption is the one they get for taking the military classes in high school. I think there might also be something similar for uni students, but I'm not sure about that.

There are also medical reasons for exemption. My BIL was exempt because of an old injury to his 'trigger' finger.

Once they don't get chosen in the lottery, get an exemption for classes or medical reasons, or turn 30, they get something that shows they have completed their requirements.

I believe young men are asked to provide this proof when applying for government jobs, and at some private companies as well.

For young men who want to enter the military, there are schools available that train them for service. Regular service, not as draftees. There are always many more young men wanting into the schools than there are openings.

Terry

Probably the easiest exemption is the one they get for taking the military classes in high school.

My step-son did this, and so was exempt from the lottery. Although I understand that he is still on the reserve list until he is (I think) 30 and can be called up in time of war or national emergency.

It puzzles me why anyone would want to take their kids to the UK to put them through school there....my kids (I have 2 young girls) are staying in this country, warts an all, then they can decide when they are old enough if they want to work/study overseas...

Before I came to Thailand, I had a son with my English ex-wife. (obviously, she was not ex at the time)

An excellent education was available to him, basically free. When he went to University, I contributed 50 Pounds per week and my ex-wife, 20 Pounds. Our contribution was really just for rent and living expenses, about 300 Pounds a Month, 15,000 Baht. OK, that was 10 years+ ago, but can you really get an equivalent education in Thailand for double that?

My son works on contract now and has a gross income in excess of 500 Pounds (25,000 Bt) per day.

ok many thanks for your informative replies fellow members; - I guess by the time my son is 18 he will largely have to make these choices for himself (with advice, of course...) I will have to see if I can dig up some info on obligations to serve under the Thai military....thanks guys.

There is a TV member who is a resident expert on this issue having gone this as a dual national. There have been many threads on this in the past. If you go to advanced search and enter 'military service' and for the author 'samran' it will come up with the various threads that you can read. His knowledge is extensive on this issue and you should follow that advice.

I have actually been working with my stepdaughter today going through her reading exercises that she is learning at school. The schools are supposed to teach Thai but here in Isaan the teachers are not so fussed. Maybe you will think that I am being pedantic because I am dismayed that they don't teach the kids to pronounce properly. This is the "R" sound that Isaan folk pronounce as "L". All through her reading she will pronounce this as "L". I ask her to translateกระต่าย to English and she will pronounce the "R" perfectly (Rabbit). This shows that she is capable of pronouncing Thai properly, but she is not taught how to. The children are also taught numbers with the Isaan tone, not central Thai.

You may not think this important, but I can assure you, that anyone who is competing for a good job will be at a disadvantage if speaking Isaan.

I can't afford to send my stepdaughter to a better school. Sometimes I feel a bit selfish because i want to live in Thailand when I know that by adopting her and moving back to England, I would magnify her chances of a better education and a better life many fold.

I can't afford to send my stepdaughter to a better school. Sometimes I feel a bit selfish because i want to live in Thailand when I know that by adopting her and moving back to England, I would magnify her chances of a better education and a better life many fold.

Small, but important point. She could move to the UK with you and her mother without you adopting her. Indeed, given the complexities of inter country adoption it would be a lot simpler and get her to the UK a lot more quickly if you didn't!

We often have these discussions about whether it is worth taking kids back home for schooling.

It is rare for anyone to mention Hong Kong or Singapore as an alternative; why is that?

Singapore, especially, seems to be the simple solution for all those who are in love with Thailand.

One could even spend the weekdays in Singapore, and the weekends in Thailand.

We often have these discussions about whether it is worth taking kids back home for schooling.

It is rare for anyone to mention Hong Kong or Singapore as an alternative; why is that?

Singapore, especially, seems to be the simple solution for all those who are in love with Thailand.

Most kids leave school in the UK today and have no idea what they are going to do and can't get a decent job even if they try. There are more opportunities right here in Asia these days and in the future than recession hit dying on it's news UK, yet people still want to take their kids their to get 'educated'

Most kids leave school in the UK today and have no idea what they are going to do and can't get a decent job even if they try. There are more opportunities right here in Asia these days and in the future than recession hit dying on it's news UK, yet people still want to take their kids their to get 'educated'

Every family has unique circumstances, and I can assure you there are still plenty of opportunities available in the UK for those who have the inclination to grasp them. Hence, schooling their children in the UK can be a good option for many former Thailand based ex-pats. This choice obviously depends on the standard of school one can afford in Thailand compared to the standard of school one can afford (either by paying fees or by living in a good catchment area) back in the UK, as well as many non-schooling factors that may be pushing or pulling a family in either direction.

I am just surprised that more don't consider Hong Kong or Singapore as a compromise solution. There are many advantages to such an approach, including proximity geographically and culturally to Thailand, but with Western standard schools. As you rightly point out, going to school in Asia may position them better to cope in the inevitably more Asia-centric global economy in the future. Both Hong Kong and Singapore also have good universities in case your children prefer to do their bachelors in the same country where they went to high school (which would not be advisable in Thailand).

It puzzles me why anyone would want to take their kids to the UK to put them through school there....my kids (I have 2 young girls) are staying in this country, warts an all, then they can decide when they are old enough if they want to work/study overseas...

yeah like half his family are English?

are your replies relevant to my fairly specific original post? We have decide to repatriate to the uk for numerous reasons, we intend to keep our properties in Thailand to be enjoyed by ourselves and my son in the future...he lived in the UK till he was 6? he is now 11 (speaks fluent Thai) if he chooses to return to Thailand in adulthood this is up to him?

if you wish to discuss the merits of the various education systems maybe you guys should start your own threads? sorry for the assey reply maybe i have had a bad day....sad.png

ok many thanks for your informative replies fellow members; - I guess by the time my son is 18 he will largely have to make these choices for himself (with advice, of course...) I will have to see if I can dig up some info on obligations to serve under the Thai military....thanks guys.

I've read similar threads on this in the past. I recommend you do a search of this forum.

indeed there is a ton of info on thai visa apologies for not searching before posting....

Is the OP aware some schools in Bangkok offer GCSEs, and (at least) a couple have decent results?

If someone could clarify how the National Service system works that would be much appreciated

I will not be hanging around here for long if the Thai government intends to use my son as a soldier

Surely thats a decision your son will have to make not you....he may want to go into the services....further if you intend taking him out the country due to not wanting him to do his national service if so required one assumes you are going to give up his Thai passport as well then ?

why would one assume anything thats the whole point of this thread? I assume you'd be happy for your son toserve in the southern Thai conflict possibly resulting in injury and death? A conflict that would be of what significance in say 5o years time? If my son wants to join the services it wont be the Thai military? He was in the uk till he was six and we intend to move back from Thailand next year....why would you choose the thai military over the UK?

Edited by miksguevara

are your replies relevant to my fairly specific original post? We have decide to repatriate to the uk for numerous reasons, we intend to keep our properties in Thailand to be enjoyed by ourselves and my son in the future...he lived in the UK till he was 6? he is now 11 (speaks fluent Thai) if he chooses to return to Thailand in adulthood this is up to him?

if you wish to discuss the merits of the various education systems maybe you guys should start your own threads? sorry for the assey reply maybe i have had a bad day....sad.png

Mmmm.

Mmmm.

sorry m8 lolz but anyways all the info i need is found here on thai visa so plus one great website

I have actually been working with my stepdaughter today going through her reading exercises that she is learning at school. The schools are supposed to teach Thai but here in Isaan the teachers are not so fussed. Maybe you will think that I am being pedantic because I am dismayed that they don't teach the kids to pronounce properly. This is the "R" sound that Isaan folk pronounce as "L". All through her reading she will pronounce this as "L". I ask her to translateกระต่าย to English and she will pronounce the "R" perfectly (Rabbit). This shows that she is capable of pronouncing Thai properly, but she is not taught how to. The children are also taught numbers with the Isaan tone, not central Thai. You may not think this important, but I can assure you, that anyone who is competing for a good job will be at a disadvantage if speaking Isaan. I can't afford to send my stepdaughter to a better school. Sometimes I feel a bit selfish because i want to live in Thailand when I know that by adopting her and moving back to England, I would magnify her chances of a better education and a better life many fold.

You are absolutely right on all counts.

Not saying you should feel guilty, but if you were to be willing to move back to the UK for a while when she gets older, assuming she's a diligent student and an ambitious person, you would be improving her chances for future success tremendously.

We often have these discussions about whether it is worth taking kids back home for schooling. It is rare for anyone to mention Hong Kong or Singapore as an alternative; why is that? Singapore, especially, seems to be the simple solution for all those who are in love with Thailand. One could even spend the weekdays in Singapore, and the weekends in Thailand.

I think the main reason is financial, these are very expensive places to live. Just spending a week job-hunting in Singapore would cost several months' wages for many of us, and of course 90% of the back-home expenses continue as well.

Not saying it isn't a good idea for those that have a competitive skillset and the confidence to make the jump, but in the short-term it's certainly impractical for many at the lower end of the financial spectrum here.

I would hope you're raising your kids with much higher expectations than "most kids" whether here or in the UK.

They will be in a much better position to capitalize on the opportunities Asia presents if they do actually get educated properly without the quotes, and I just don't see how most people can get that done here in Thailand.

I have actually been working with my stepdaughter today going through her reading exercises that she is learning at school. The schools are supposed to teach Thai but here in Isaan the teachers are not so fussed. Maybe you will think that I am being pedantic because I am dismayed that they don't teach the kids to pronounce properly. This is the "R" sound that Isaan folk pronounce as "L". All through her reading she will pronounce this as "L". I ask her to translateกระต่าย to English and she will pronounce the "R" perfectly (Rabbit). This shows that she is capable of pronouncing Thai properly, but she is not taught how to. The children are also taught numbers with the Isaan tone, not central Thai. You may not think this important, but I can assure you, that anyone who is competing for a good job will be at a disadvantage if speaking Isaan. I can't afford to send my stepdaughter to a better school. Sometimes I feel a bit selfish because i want to live in Thailand when I know that by adopting her and moving back to England, I would magnify her chances of a better education and a better life many fold.

You are absolutely right on all counts.

Not saying you should feel guilty, but if you were to be willing to move back to the UK for a while when she gets older, assuming she's a diligent student and an ambitious person, you would be improving her chances for future success tremendously.

We often have these discussions about whether it is worth taking kids back home for schooling. It is rare for anyone to mention Hong Kong or Singapore as an alternative; why is that? Singapore, especially, seems to be the simple solution for all those who are in love with Thailand. One could even spend the weekdays in Singapore, and the weekends in Thailand.

I think the main reason is financial, these are very expensive places to live. Just spending a week job-hunting in Singapore would cost several months' wages for many of us, and of course 90% of the back-home expenses continue as well.

Not saying it isn't a good idea for those that have a competitive skillset and the confidence to make the jump, but in the short-term it's certainly impractical for many at the lower end of the financial spectrum here.

I would hope you're raising your kids with much higher expectations than "most kids" whether here or in the UK.

They will be in a much better position to capitalize on the opportunities Asia presents if they do actually get educated properly without the quotes, and I just don't see how most people can get that done here in Thailand.

Absolute nonsense.

• Like 1

I think its quite difficult to get into a good school in Hong Kong. My wife knows a couple of families who have chosen to stay in Thailand while the husband works in Hong Kong.

While the international schools here are expensive, they are not particularly so compared to the equivalent standard private schools in the UK, I believe.

SC

Searched for specific thread...not found. so here goes...

Been here 8 years now...am changing from retirement visa to Thai wife Visa (Sinkhon/Hua Hin) have complied with all the listed documents needed..Will go on the 25th June... anything not posted here under IMM/"O" marriage) that I need to know..the wonerful lady at the immi office said ,,,"oh...not easy not easy not easy...? something I should know and any members know already...? would be most grateful..Thanks George, Thai Visa et al.. and any members..

Above post moved to here.

I think its quite difficult to get into a good school in Hong Kong. My wife knows a couple of families who have chosen to stay in Thailand while the husband works in Hong Kong.

While the international schools here are expensive, they are not particularly so compared to the equivalent standard private schools in the UK, I believe.

SC

It depends what you mean by the "equivalent standard private schools in the UK". Clearly, the best schools in the UK are more expensive than the best schools in Thailand. However, the best schools in the UK are far better than the best schools in Thailand. Also, from my research, on a pound-for-pound basis (based on A-level results and admissions to top universities) private schools in the UK that have results that match the top Thai schools, are similarly priced or even (slightly) cheaper.

In my opinion, the big difference in education between Thailand and the UK (as well as Singapore and Hong Kong), is that Thailand does not have any really world leading high schools, and definetely does not have any world leading universities. Therefore, the upper limit of how good a Thai education can be is below what is potentially available in those countries. Similarly, at the other end of the scale, even average state schools in the UK (and I assume Singapore and Hong Kong) send a decent share of their students to universities (and a few each year to world leading universities). This is not the case in Thailand.

Of course, there are many non-schooling factors that parents must consider when choosing where to live, and where to school their children. Every family has its own set of circumstances that push (or pull them) away from (or towards) certain places. However, I think some posters on this (and other similar threads) are often blinded by personal circumstances into subjective (and erroneous) views on education standards in different countries, and where is the best place for everyone to live.

SC

It depends what you mean by the "equivalent standard private schools in the UK". Clearly, the best schools in the UK are more expensive than the best schools in Thailand. However, the best schools in the UK are far better than the best schools in Thailand. Also, from my research, on a pound-for-pound basis (based on A-level results and admissions to top universities) private schools in the UK that have results that match the top Thai schools, are similarly priced or even (slightly) cheaper.

In my opinion, the big difference in education between Thailand and the UK (as well as Singapore and Hong Kong), is that Thailand does not have any really world leading high schools, and definetely does not have any world leading universities. Therefore, the upper limit of how good a Thai education can be is below what is potentially available in those countries. Similarly, at the other end of the scale, even average state schools in the UK (and I assume Singapore and Hong Kong) send a decent share of their students to universities (and a few each year to world leading universities). This is not the case in Thailand.

Of course, there are many non-schooling factors that parents must consider when choosing where to live, and where to school their children. Every family has its own set of circumstances that push (or pull them) away from (or towards) certain places. However, I think some posters on this (and other similar threads) are often blinded by personal circumstances into subjective (and erroneous) views on education standards in different countries, and where is the best place for everyone to live.

I'll need to look into the prices again, then.

I drew the conclusion, last time I looked, that we would be accepting a drop in academic standards, no reduction in cost, and a reduction in convenience, though some significant 'fresh air' and freedom benefits in moving back to the UK

SC

Absolute nonsense.

That certainly contributes a lot to the conversation - not. Perhaps you could choose a salient point or two to discuss and try to rebut it with logical assertions?

perthaps you could discuss my original post and stop hijacking my thread morons: have you even read it? moderators pls lock this thread.

Edited by miksguevara

• 4 weeks later...

Is the OP aware some schools in Bangkok offer GCSEs, and (at least) a couple have decent results?

If someone could clarify how the National Service system works that would be much appreciated

I will not be hanging around here for long if the Thai government intends to use my son as a soldier

I thought it was either become a monk or soldier? Anyway becoming a soldier for what is it 6months? Personally I have always thought some military training is a good thing. My wifes son is in the Thai army and he has only gotten respect from others for it (and the girls at his school love his uniform). Id put money on he will never see any combat. On another note friend of mine is Greek living in Australia and Greece has the same army deal. He cant be deported back to Greece to serve, its only if he goes back. Thailands the same Im sure. Edited by krisb