What'S An Appropriate Fee?

I am teaching 14 hours per week at a primary school in the south, salary 20,000. Many parents wish me to give private lessons on the weekends. I really enjoy my time off, but the kids are eager and these parents are relatively well off and I can't walk down the street the last few months without being asked, so, I'll do it but I want to keep my prices up at an appropriate level, not give my time away.

What would the hourly fee be for one-on-one? (Gold shop owner insists on one-on-one).

What would the hourly fee be for a small class, say six or eight kids? Discounts for monthly? Please advise from your experience.

I can only access the internet once a day, so any questions will be answered tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

I almost never do private tutorial anymore, but for regular prathom-mathyom students, and if there isn't a great deal of travel, I charged about 500 baht per hour. Unless there is a compelling reason, I wouldn't do it for less than that. It's actually easier if you have several students in a group--a little more interaction.

Depending on the number of kids, I'd say. If you'll get 8 kids and charge 100 baht an hour per head.

One on one for 400 is also okay and will give you a good reputation. It's not a bad job and you'll know the kid(s) after a few weeks pretty well.

Considering that parents pay around 4,000 baht/month for a school with an EP makes four hours of tutoring a' 500 baht quite expensive for them.

Good luck!-wai.gif

Edited by sirchai

I think it depends on how much you want the work and what the students are prepared to pay. As suggested, 100 baht per hour per student with a minimum of 3 or 4 students works well as the student who really wants to study will recruit 3 more students for you. The gold shop owner can probably afford 400 baht per hour for 1-1. I also suggest, get the students to pay for a block (5 or 10 hours) of classes up front and have a lateness/cancellation policy that protects you from the unreliability of Thai students.

Thanks for the good responses.

Scott and Quietman--- are you saying 500 per hour per student? Or 500 per hour per group?

I was figuring 100 to 125 per hour per student, 6-8 per class.

And, yes, LOADED, I'll require payment in 8 hour blocks of time, so I get paid regardless of their showing up, although I'm thinking the Gold Shop's kids will be there...5 and 7 and they've already taken a year of Chinese! Won't they have little headaches!

I charged 500 baht per hour--regardless of the number of students--within reason. I taught adults as well and for them the charge was sometimes higher, but the amount of time required was also greater.

My outside work was more because I enjoyed it than because I needed to do it. Much of how and when it occurred was structured around my convenience. All were reasonably close to where I lived and all were students/classes that I enjoyed teaching.

I charge 500 an hour in a one-on-one. The reason is because the parents can afford it, otherwise why would they ask you. When I do classes of more than one, I charge each student 1,000 baht for 12 hours of teaching. This is cheap and soon the classes do start to fill-up through word of mouth. I teach each class 1 1/2 hours so over 4 weekends thats the 12 hours done.

I charge a min. of 400 baht per hour max of 4 students per session for basic conversation/grammar lessons, keep your classes in even numbers so pair work is easy to implement. I also require 10 hours payment upfront and allow only one cancellation-reschedule per 10 hours, if you dont they will treat you like a rug and you will lose other business-money to them having every excuse in the book for not showing up for class (Respect is only for thai teachers and even that is fake). Higher level classes such as business english, writing, toeic, etc. start at 500 and go up in price, I dont even bother with Ielt-Toefl lessons as in 4 years of teaching here i havent met a student yet that was ready or willing to put in the effort for it. I do some work for friends of my gf who are single working mothers at 300 per hour (they are my best students and I like them alot because they work hard), but dont kid yourself most thais will always claim poverty while driving a new car with a new house, a gold shop owner no less than 500 for him def. !! The ones I know and teach that have money pay 600 per hour. Teaching here isnt charity work for me as Im not a rich falang on pension (even though most thais think I am) its my only income and if Im not making enough money to live a comfortable life then what the hell am I doing here ?

I taught private at a rate of 350 per hour one to one, it was an intro fee for my first pupil after that 400/hour one to one. This year I hope to teach extra English conversation to my students, 500/hour up to 10 students in a class.

I have been offered extra teaching at a vocational college 5 hours a week (all in one day) which will make me quite busy. I have been offered 400/hour i.e. 2000/week. Do you think the college would pay more? I'm pretty sure my school are taking a cut but don't know how much.