Manchester United

redrus

2 hours ago, xylophone said:
I have been a United supporter for over 60 years and I really can't agree with any of your comments, especially the one about the team "being still in development"!

The game last night was a travesty inasmuch as they played to the Mourinho style which was defence first and attack as and when you can, and it just doesn't suit United, and hasn't ever since he has been there.

Explain if you will why he has kept one of the most exciting young talents in English football on the bench (Rashford) as well as giving Martial minimum game time, this when United's trademark was always attack.

It's a proven fact that he has a problem with people management as has been witnessed by his time at Chelsea and Real Madrid, and now at United and it has never been more so than with his treatment of Luke Shaw, and I would suspect now Pogba after his dismal display. Add to that, as I've already mentioned, his lack of playing time for two great strikers and you have someone who is living on borrowed time IMO.

The sooner he goes, the better for United and the sooner United can adopt an attack minded approach to the game.

On that point, there are often pundits in newspapers reporting that United are interested in signing Salah, or Ronaldo or similar, but what they don't understand is that these guys shine because they are given room to play as they want to, not play to Mourinho's style, which is defend and do exactly what I tell you, and when.

Look at the best players in the world and especially those to I've already mentioned, along with Messi and you'll see what I mean. They play to their strengths and if it is not defending, then so be it.

so you think you just buy/get a load of players and a new seasoned manager and it all just should work ?

sorry but that is not how it works at all and furthermore, all it takes is just one member of the team to spoil the party and knock the whole team off - at the moment I believe the worst offender is Pogba, it is extremely difficult to get a team well balanced and finely tuned and there may even be an element of luck to get it all working - M'City have got it right this season - MU definitely haven't 

and no offense but your 60 years as a MU supporter earns you nothing, why even mention it ? do you think it somehow makes you a football expert - it doesn't 

also in answer to your questions - neither you or me knows what is going on behind the scenes, I think we done enough to secure a top 4 slot, the most important game this month is on Sat and we have another game on Wed

Edited by smedly

1 hour ago, smedly said:

so you think you just buy/get a load of players and a new seasoned manager and it all just should work ?

sorry but that is not how it works at all and furthermore, all it takes is just one member of the team to spoil the party and knock the whole team off - at the moment I believe the worst offender is Pogba, it is extremely difficult to get a team well balanced and finely tuned and there may even be an element of luck to get it all working - M'City have got it right this season - MU definitely haven't 

and no offense but your 60 years as a MU supporter earns you nothing, why even mention it ? do you think it somehow makes you a football expert - it doesn't 

also in answer to your questions - neither you or me knows what is going on behind the scenes, I think we done enough to secure a top 4 slot, the most important game this month is on Sat and we have another game on Wed

Not sure what your first sentence refers to and who the new seasoned manager is or would be??

True it is difficult to get a team well balanced, and finally tuned, and having played a good standard of football for many years, and played against Crystal Palace a couple of times and alongside the ex-Chelsea centre half, Marvin Hinton, as well as managing a couple of teams, I do know a little bit about football.

Furthermore Mourinho has had his problems with man management and it has been noted that he has a difficult persona which does not sit well with many players, and there would be many instances which would attest to that from his previous clubs and even at United.

The style he wants United to play is not the style they have been used to and one player does not "spoil the party" as you put it. There will always be "difficult" players and good coaches/man managers know how to handle them.

The signs are there for all to see and if you wanted a sign of the style of play that Mourinho wants to play then just look at the amount of players he has to fill the back line spots – – 13 in all.

I remember Ferguson taking a very petulant Cantona when nobody else wanted him because of his on field antics (and off field incident) and turning him into one of the best players ever seen in the English game. He also had run-ins occasionally with Beckham, and not without cause I may add (IMO) and knew when it was time to let him go.

Sure, it looks like we will finish in the top four this year, but that's as much about the money spent and the quality of the players rather than the manager's skill. We are second at the moment, despite him.
  • Like 2

Mighty fine commentary from some Man United fans weary of Mourinho.

And as a smarmy aside, some Chelsea fans could be wondering these days how Chelsea would have fared this season with a side that included Mo Salah and KDB.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jellydog said:

And as a smarmy aside, some Chelsea fans could be wondering these days how Chelsea would have fared this season with a side that included Mo Salah and KDB.

very sadly you are posting sh#t.any t.f markets is a hit and miss..                 all clubs make decisions which in hindesight turn out to be a nightmare. .so why single out c.sea.s t.fers. tbh dog  you are in disney land   again have a nice evening l.pool 5.1 5.1 bundle out and flogged by l.pool

11 minutes ago, evenstevens said:

very sadly you are posting sh#t.any t.f markets is a hit and miss..                 all clubs make decisions which in hindesight turn out to be a nightmare. .so why single out c.sea.s t.fers. tbh dog  you are in disney land   again have a nice evening l.pool 5.1 5.1 bundle out and flogged by l.pool

Happy to see you back in action E/S. I thought maybe you'd taken a spill off your donkey.:cowboy: Pretty big misses at Chelsea no matter how you cut it. How's that tough as nails Morata working out for you ?

6 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Playing Matic AND Herrara against the BOTTOM club, AT HOME? Over cautious.

Agreed. And that was one of the problems yesterday.

Not been a fan of this 4-3-3 at all. Seems it's all to appease those who thought Pogba should be given more freedom to go forward etc. But as a box to box midfielder he should be able to play in a midfield 2 at home to WBA.

8 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

And btw Rick, LFC now have more clean sheets than United. But yeah you keep up with the “lazy pundit” narrative of can’t defend. 

Which narrative am I keeping up with?

When I said that your defence was looking a lot more shaky (Swansea defeat) and ours was more solid.

Now you have improved, and I don't deny at all that we have issues at the back. The first one being the lack of a leader when Bailly isn't around. Smalling doesn't cut it for me. Wouldn't be upset if both Smalling and Jones left in the summer. 

Edited by RickG16
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Refereeing was poor but his first game at OT.Fergie was there, probably had a word with him post match.

Good post, and yeah you reminded me, that ref was an absolute dick. Even worse that he swanned around with an arrogant look on his face. 

7 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Bottom line though. Something aint right at utd. I am wondering if mourinho management style has expired. He just does not seem to be getting the best out of his team consistently. With the forward line you have got you should be out scoring teams but they seem to be leashed in favour of his defensive approach. I would not want to be playing for mourinho with such negative tactics. It's like being given a Ferrari and treating it like a datsun cherry

There are not that many contributors to this forum that are old enough to know what a datsun cherry is/was........:clap2:

7 hours ago, jellydog said:

Happy to see you back in action E/S. I thought maybe you'd taken a spill off your donkey.:cowboy: Pretty big misses at Chelsea no matter how you cut it. How's that tough as nails Morata working out for you ?

early sept pge 889 csea thread i posted he look to me as light on.and that looks the case to this point of time. he has shown flashes of brilliance.but in my view his performances have not come up to expectations.and not close to filling costa boots.rate him 5  out of ten.but would give him next season before punting him.in summing up my jury is still out on morata .disappointing would be a apt word of first season at csea

4 minutes ago, evenstevens said:

early sept pge 889 csea thread i posted he look to me as light on.and that looks the case to this point of time. he has shown flashes of brilliance.but in my view his performances have not come up to expectations.and not close to filling costa boots.rate him 5  out of ten.but would give him next season before punting him.in summing up my jury is still out on morata .disappointing would be a apt word of first season at csea

His stats career wise suggest he is a 1 goal every 3 games player. His stats at Chelsea are exactly that. Seems like you got done shelling out 60m for him but in a season where no chelsea player has done them self any favours and him having to acclimatise to new surroundings he has done fairly well all things considered. Pedro is another poor addition. Major clear out required at Chelsea. Maybe need to get the bat back too but I'd love klopp to nick him for pennies.

13 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Agreed. And that was one of the problems yesterday.

Not been a fan of this 4-3-3 at all. Seems it's all to appease those who thought Pogba should be given more freedom to go forward etc. But as a box to box midfielder he should be able to play in a midfield 2 at home to WBA.

Playing Mata and Herrera together at home against the soon to be relegated Baggies is nothing short of an embarrassment.  What on earth was he thinking?  But did you notice, yet again, the fault lies nowhere near him, and all with his players.  Another glaring example of why he has been and always will be a two season manager.  Cant be that far away from losing dressing room number three!!

4 hours ago, carmine said:

the fault lies nowhere near him, and all with his players.

By the same token the players need to take responsibility sometimes, and on Sunday they needed a bollocking.

While it was a shocking defeat, we also need a bit of perspective:

- It came after five wins in a row in the PL.

- Just last week we played 'the best PL team ever' off the park for 45 mins.

- With a decent referee we would have been awarded a penalty in the first half, and it would have been a very different game. 

4 hours ago, carmine said:

Playing Mata and Herrera together at home against the soon to be relegated Baggies is nothing short of an embarrassment.  What on earth was he thinking?  But did you notice, yet again, the fault lies nowhere near him, and all with his players.  Another glaring example of why he has been and always will be a two season manager.  Cant be that far away from losing dressing room number three!!

Maureen always wins it in the second season, apparently. 

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

By the same token the players need to take responsibility sometimes, and on Sunday they needed a bollocking.

- With a decent referee we would have been awarded a penalty in the first half, and it would have been a very different game. 

Sure, the players do need to take responsibility.  The question is more of whether he's getting the most out of them?

Also like Spurs players, they probably had one eye on next saturday.

Looking forward to the rest of the season, Yes we just had a blip but that will just show the boss who he needs to ship out and bring in next season, as city's season is over now and they underachieved not getting the quad or the prized champions league, us we have plenty to play for and so do the players if they want to be still here next season.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Is your "we played 'the best PL team ever' off the park" tongue-in-cheek? You played well for abouts 15mins 2nd half when you got your goals. 1st half the ManU fan at work thought it was going to be another 6v1 such was the battering.

1st half vs WBA you should have had a penalty for the trip of Herrara; in the refs defence don't think he had an unobstructed view; one of the 2% refereeing errors some are happy to live with for 'the flow of the game'.

2 minutes ago, nev said:

Looking forward to the rest of the season, Yes we just had a blip but that will just show the boss who he needs to ship out and bring in next season, as city's season is over now and they underachieved not getting the quad or the prized champions league, us we have plenty to play for and so do the players if they want to be still here next season.

100% this.

Mourinho is in the process of playing some players he isn't sure about in these last few games. That's the only way to know if they are good enough to make the cut. 

It actually takes a manager with balls to play players he doesn't have total confidence in, with a view to improving the squad in the long term.

Unfortunately a lot of fans / pundits operate in 'gold fish' mode which means they can't think long term. That's why they're not football managers.

• Like 1

I thought Maureen started with a team too defensive but once he'd brought on Lingard, Rashford, Ronaldo and Eusebio ManU players should have done something but they just seemed to amble around, no urgency to close down WBA, and it was a poor performance by the players. Talking to the dirty red at work, we couldn't think of one player who played well.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

8 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Got your rednose and clown shoes on again I see.

Not at all, Pep was brought in to win the champions league not spend half a billion and win exactly what Pelligrini did, come on lad you would have been better keeping the old fella.

Edited by nev
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, nev said:

as city's season is over now and they underachieved not getting the quad or the prized champions league,

It's great this is. United have to mention City in every post. I can hear your teeth grinding as you type and taste your bitterness from here. If lickle ol City have underachieved, how have the biggest club in the world faired this year?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

100% this.

Mourinho is in the process of playing some players he isn't sure about in these last few games. That's the only way to know if they are good enough to make the cut. 

It actually takes a manager with balls to play players he doesn't have total confidence in, with a view to improving the squad in the long term.

Unfortunately a lot of fans / pundits operate in 'gold fish' mode which means they can't think long term. That's why they're not football managers.

At last someone on the same wavelength, he is going to have a huge clear out and I am sure he has 3 or 4 already to sign up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

It's great this is. United have to mention City in every post. I can hear your teeth grinding as you type and taste your bitterness from here. If lickle ol City have underachieved, how have the biggest club in the world faired this year?

Well in my eyes you have,no tinted specs or out he has splashed the cash to win the bigger prizes not to do just the same as Pelligrini did, shocking how you got rid of him too.

As for us we have well underachieved and we all know that, and as for talking about city well you are all on here discussing united.

"The talk is that the Portuguese has had it with many of them, and very few are safe in the summer. Mourinho would be willing to consider the sale of pretty much any players bar David De Gea, Alexis Sanchez, Romelu Lukaku, Nemanja Matic, Jesse Lingard, Ashley Young and Juan Mata. They are currently the only ones who have his full trust." from the Independent I think. He'll have a clear out for sure and next seasons' team will be different I'm sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"The talk is that the Portuguese has had it with many of them, and very few are safe in the summer. Mourinho would be willing to consider the sale of pretty much any players bar David De Gea, Alexis Sanchez, Romelu Lukaku, Nemanja Matic, Jesse Lingard, Ashley Young and Juan Mata. They are currently the only ones who have his full trust." from the Independent I think. He'll have a clear out for sure and next seasons' team will be different I'm sure.

Exactly my point, I would not mind a few more losses this season if it means getting rid of a few players who are just not up to scratch.