Manchester United

redrus

On 9/2/2018 at 11:40 PM, Rc2702 said:

Totally disagree. The lad is quality. If he had a proper run in one position he would nail it. The lad needs to leave soon and get in a team that appreciates him. To be honest it looks that way with half the lads there. Martial has over 130 appearances in the last 3 seasons. That is established and just 22.

In 2015/16 Martial was, i believe top scorer for United.    It all went pear shaped and he stopped getting selected when Mourinho arrived, but then again, he was a van Gaal purchase.  And in reality, he's just another player who has regressed under Jose.  I remember the player he was in his first season at United.  It wasn't a fluke.

Anyway, it seems the board agrees with me and his potential even if some United fan on here doesn't.  Make your own minds up on that!

I've watched most games Martial has played albeit many as a sub. His loss of form coincided with a highly publicised expose, back in Europe, of his break up with his first wife and small child.It was very messy.Only he knows if it affected his attitude but he played without a smile on his face and seemed to be in a very sulky mood.Maybe he is different away from the pitch.

Now in a relationship with another girl and a new child a lot lies in his court if he wants to be remembered for a great career or just drift along.

Initially he looked the goods.You dont suddenly become a poor player. Needs,if he gets the chance,to show all he is special.

Danny Wellbeck will finish up playing for a mid table club.

Watched him growing up from his academy days,plagued with injuries and remember SAF once saying his growth spurt brought a lot of that on,never fullfilled his promise and certainly not worth a place in the England squad.Pity gives 100% and a good attitude

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sparkles said:

I've watched most games Martial has played albeit many as a sub. His loss of form coincided with a highly publicised expose, back in Europe, of his break up with his first wife and small child.It was very messy.Only he knows if it affected his attitude but he played without a smile on his face and seemed to be in a very sulky mood.Maybe he is different away from the pitch.

Now in a relationship with another girl and a new child a lot lies in his court if he wants to be remembered for a great career or just drift along.

Initially he looked the goods.You dont suddenly become a poor player. Needs,if he gets the chance,to show all he is special.

Danny Wellbeck will finish up playing for a mid table club.

Watched him growing up from his academy days,plagued with injuries and remember SAF once saying his growth spurt brought a lot of that on,never fullfilled his promise and certainly not worth a place in the England squad.Pity gives 100% and a good attitude

True indeed, and a likable fellow.

44 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Exactly... Who are we to gossip about his private life but it's not exactly conducive to being stable and happy. 

Off topic but interesting to see how much Rooney is enjoying it, and playing well, since moving away.

22 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Exactly... Who are we to gossip about his private life but it's not exactly conducive to being stable and happy. 

Off topic but interesting to see how much Rooney is enjoying it, and playing well, since moving away.

When I worked in the UK, and If I underperfored

like some of these so-called top footballers, I would have been told straight to "get a grip". And quite right too.

Rooney is playing in a league that is probably equal to our Div 3/4. He is top dog again.

Edited by owl sees all

18 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Rooney is playing in a league that is probably equal to our Div 3/4. He is top dog again.

Obviously that's part of it. But there's also the benefit of walking down the street unrecognised. And not being hounded by the media.

Rooney has a great career, was a good servant to our club, and I'm happy he's found peace in his 'semi retirement'. 

Just now, RickG16 said:

Obviously that's part of it. But there's also the benefit of walking down the street unrecognised. And not being hounded by the media.

Rooney has a great career, was a good servant to our club, and I'm happy he's found peace in his 'semi retirement'. 

A great servant to the Manchester red light zone too.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RickG16 said:

He has made enough money to be able to walk away from the game...by the fact he is still playing shows he still enjoys it....and good luck to him  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Rooney at his best was a fantastic player.....who cares about his off the pitch antics?

At least he wasn't shagging his brother's wife for years.

There is indiscretion which by the way is only an issue if you get busted and what Giggs did which was just appalling behaviour and shows his true character.

Rooney just likes a shag.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Have watched a few of his games he is having the time of his life with goals and assists in a team that has struggled in the past.

Of course he is being well paid and hopefully he will, when his time is up, go home and provide some inspiration for younger players.Can never see him reaching any great heights as a manager maybe at Academy level he would be invaluable.Rags to riches classic  story.

33 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Have watched a few of his games he is having the time of his life with goals and assists in a team that has struggled in the past.

Of course he is being well paid and hopefully he will, when his time is up, go home and provide some inspiration for younger players.Can never see him reaching any great heights as a manager maybe at Academy level he would be invaluable.Rags to riches classic  story.

100%... I've watched nearly all the highlights and he is the heartbeat of that team. The younger players really appreciate having him and you can see how much he is enjoying it. He's played some beautiful through balls, including that sliding tackle and long ball from behind the half way line!!

I wouldn't be so sure on the management thing tho. He's learnt under some of the best (Fergie, LVG, Mourinho), has a good football brain, and although he might not be the most eloquent, I'm not sure you need to be?

Edited by RickG16

Was nice of Southgate to give Rashford a couple of run outs and get him back to match fitness. But being the Mr Stubborn which we know and love, I'm not sure Jose will automatically put him back in the side. If there is a change vs Watford, it will probably be Rashford in for Lingard. 

Somehow Fellaini looks like he is first choice once again! 

38 minutes ago, duan said:

Unfortunately Rashford starts his 3 match ban against Watford 

Good point! Still quite hard to believe he lashed out like that. Out of character. But tbh there should have been retrospective action taken against Bardsley.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

I'd love to nab rashford.

Always up for some Wednesday comedy. 

How about developing some of your own attacking talent? The problem is you might have to leave out one of the more established names to give them a chance. Takes a manager with balls to do that. 

Just now, RickG16 said:

Always up for some Wednesday comedy. 

How about developing some of your own attacking talent? The problem is you might have to leave out one of the more established names to give them a chance. Takes a manager with balls to do that. 

Spend a lot of time in front of the mirror on Wednesdays then do ya.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Takes a manager with balls to do that. 

Our right back is 19, Our starting CB is 21, our second choice striker (not from our academy but still for a youngster given a chance) last season is 20 and had plenty of chances to prove himself. Rhian Brewster (18) is in the first team squad and when fit will feature. And there are more coming through. 

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

Our right back is 19, Our starting CB is 21, our second choice striker (not from our academy but still for a youngster given a chance) last season is 20 and had plenty of chances to prove himself. Rhian Brewster (18) is in the first team squad and when fit will feature. And there are more coming through. 

That's why I said developing your own attacking talent.  Realistically will Klopp leave out any of any of your front 3 for a semi-important game? Rashford has started in / played in plenty of big games already.

We could have bought a proven experienced attacker to play with Lukaku and Alexis (one who is a more certain starter than Mata), but I believe that Mourinho, while he might not like to, has left a space open for Lingard and Rashford deliberately because he is committed to fulfilling the club's stated policy of developing young players....contrary to the usual Mourinho stereotype! 

Just now, RickG16 said:

That's why I said developing your own attacking talent.  Realistically will Klopp leave out any of any of your front 3 for a semi-important game? Rashford has started in / played in plenty of big games already.

We could have bought a proven experienced attacker to play with Lukaku and Alexis (one who is a more certain starter than Mata), but I believe that Mourinho, while he might not like to, has left a space open for Lingard and Rashford deliberately because he is committed to fulfilling the club's stated policy of developing young players....contrary to the usual Mourinho stereotype! 

Nah no one was up for it and JM knows his issues are more in defence than attack anyway and utd completely cocked up the transfers this year hence the banners. 

19 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Nah no one was up for it and JM knows his issues are more in defence than attack anyway and utd completely cocked up the transfers this year hence the banners. 

Generally if you want to leave space for homegrown players to develop you don't buy millions of players (pay attentions you scousers).

Central defence is different IMO. Even players like Pique were never fully trusted as a first teamer and had to go elsewhere to blossom. That's why we messed up the transfers this summer. We should have bought Maguire. But any more attacking players and we would harm Rashford and Lingards chances of developing. 

Just now, RickG16 said:

Generally if you want to leave space for homegrown players to develop you don't buy millions of players (pay attentions you scousers).

Central defence is different IMO. Even players like Pique were never fully trusted as a first teamer and had to go elsewhere to blossom. That's why we messed up the transfers this summer. We should have bought Maguire. But any more attacking players and we would harm Rashford and Lingards chances of developing. 

And if griezman was interested they would not have a look in but not many top players are up for it. The truth is given the choice most lads would choose city over utd now and you cannot blame them. Your talking like lingard is a youngster. He's 25 he was out on loan for years. Rashford is quality but the rest are squad players and that's it. To be honest you say we should have brought but I think part of the issue you will find is players simply not fancying the move. It's not just one reason but a variety of reasons.

11 hours ago, RickG16 said:

All very well saying we should have bought Maguire.Leceister didnt want him to sell him, they were not desperate for money and have in fact given him,in the last few days, a new, better paid ,long term.contract.Just because a club wants a player doesnt mean its game over.Mourinho wanted Boateng too ,he decided to stay at Bayern.

How many clubs do you think wanted Giggs,Scholes ,Gary Neville and Beckham amongst others. Pique had a verbal agreement with SAF that when the time was right  he would be allowed to return to his homeland (well documented)

I have for a long time wanted ALL PL teams to have min of 3 players in the team that had come through the clubs academy,thats obviously never going to happen and why England is so poor rated on the International scene

• Like 1