Manchester United

redrus

Anyone heard from Leungken? He's not posted in age.

He's alive and well and spending most of his time on the beach.

It's high season and I rent out a few m'bikes to tourists for a bit of petty-cash.

I did cart-whels, hand-stands and flick-flacks after last saturday's massive win.

The whole team played well - even Fletcher much to my amazement !!!

Lyon 1 Manchester United 1

by Footymad

A late Carlos Tevez strike ensured Manchester United returned from Lyon tied 1-1 after the first leg of their Champions League encounter.

French League champions Lyon took the lead in a close, competitive match and looked on course for a shock win before Tevez intervened with just three minutes to go.

Both sides matched formations, forcing United's Tevez and Lyon's Hatem Benarfa onto the bench as each manager went with one striker flanked by two wingers.

The congested midfield played its role in a tight, though not unattractive, first half.

Lyon had the first set of chances, largely created by Juninho's masterful taking of free-kicks and corners, though only a Rio Ferdinand mis-kick came close to beating Edwin Van der Sar.

United had to wait 25 minutes for their first real chance - a long ball finding Wayne Rooney who flicked the ball past one defender and raced down on Gregory Coupet but the Lyon keeper parried and cleared his effort.

Spells of pressure from both sides failed to create many more opportunities, forcing United to come out after half-time with a more aggressive attitude.

Despite their intent it was a moment of brilliance from 20-year-old French sensation Karim Benzema that broke the deadlock after 54 minutes.

The striker received the ball just outside the box, spun past the four United defenders around him and drove in a stunning low shot which beat Van der Sar at his near post.

Suddenly United's plan to control possession and wait for a chance was ditched as the Premiership champions threw more men forward and brought on Nani and Tevez 65 minutes in.

Still Lyon held solid, with a disallowed Rooney goal - correctly ruled offside - and an excellent Cristiano Ronaldo free-kick, well saved by Coupet, being the sum total of United's attacking play.

Yet, in the 87th minute, following a saved Ronaldo effort, Nani's cross from the right was knocked from the back post to the front and Tevez was there to fire home from two yards out.

Lyon's resilience and work-rate deserved some reward but United will feel that their general dominance earned them the draw that they will happily take back to Old Trafford for the second leg in a fortnight's time.

redrus

FootyMAD's Newcastle United match preview

By Footymad

Friday, 22nd February 2008

This week FootyMad's match preview focuses on the game between Newcastle United and Manchester United at 17:15 on Saturday, 23rd February 2008 in the Premier League.

Footymad preview

History of the Newcastle United v Manchester United fixture

Man. Utd. face a trip to Newcastle United at St. James' Park at tea-time on Saturday, hoping to improve upon an average previous return from this fixture. Of the 71 games played, Red Devils have recorded 25 wins, and Newcastle Utd. have come away with 30 victories.

The most recent encounter between these two sides was just last season, in January 2007, where the two teams cancelled each other out in an enthralling 2 - 2 draw in a Premiership match.

For a detailed analysis of the head-to-head between the two sides, click here

Recent encounters between the teams:

2007/2008 Sat 12 Jan Man. Utd. 6 - 0 Newcastle Utd. PREM

2006/2007 Mon 01 Jan Newcastle Utd. 2 - 2 Man. Utd. PREM

2006/2007 Sun 01 Oct Man. Utd. 2 - 0 Newcastle Utd. PREM

2005/2006 Sun 12 Mar Man. Utd. 2 - 0 Newcastle Utd. PREM

2005/2006 Sun 28 Aug Newcastle Utd. 0 - 2 Man. Utd. PREM

2004/2005 Sun 24 Apr Man. Utd. 2 - 1 Newcastle Utd. PREM

2004/2005 Sun 17 Apr Newcastle Utd. 1 - 4 Man. Utd. FAC

Recent respective form guides

Newcastle United have collected 2 wins and 3 draws from their last six home matches. The goals for column just outweighs the goals against over this period, 9 to 7.

The away form of Man. Utd. however, is much more impressive, with 3 victories and just 1 loss from the last six. Those games have seen the Red Devils pummel 11 goals, and let in 4.

Newcastle Utd. see themselves just below half way in the Barclays Premier League, showing a record of 28 points from their 26 games played so far, Man. Utd. sit in a healthy 2nd in the league, and have picked up 58 points from their 26 games.

For a detailed analysis of team form guides throughout the leagues, click here

Current form guides: P W D L F A P

Newcastle Utd. 6 1 2 3 6 12 5

Man. Utd. 6 3 2 1 12 5 11

FootyMad's prediction ...

Red Devils's decent recent efforts out on the road should see them narrowly take the spoils from the match with Newcastle Utd., believes the FootyMad team. Away win

Sequence statistics:

Newcastle Utd. Drawn last 2 games at home.

Failed to win in previous 2 home matches.

Not won in the 5 most recent games.

Man. Utd. Previous 2 away games have finished all-square.

Not won in previous 2 away matches.

redrus

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was a good one :o :

"Anderson-son-son, he's better than Kleberson

Anderson-son-son, our midfield magician

To the left to the right, to the zamba beat tonight

He is class with a brass and he ****s on Fabregas!"

Man Utd fans to Anderson, to the tune of Agadoo.

I thought this was a good one :D :

:o got to hand it to footie fans up and down the country, they do come up with some great songs.

scousemouse it got it;s first airing at the lyon away game and then at newcastle more got to know the words and at fulham nearly the whole end have it doiwn pat.

not been sung at home yet but tonights game see if the prawn sandwichers get in the spirt too. :o

scousemouse it got it;s first airing at the lyon away game and then at newcastle more got to know the words and at fulham nearly the whole end have it doiwn pat.

not been sung at home yet but tonights game see if the prawn sandwichers get in the spirt too. :o

Just about to watch the Lyon game now and will keep an ear out :D

Its got to be arsenal in the next round of the champions league-and chelsea in the fa-cup after we do portsmouth !!!! :o

I'd rather we get Fenerbache to be honest, but in the end we shouldn't fear anyone.

Its got to be arsenal in the next round of the champions league-and chelsea in the fa-cup after we do portsmouth !!!! :o

I'd rather we get Fenerbache to be honest, but in the end we shouldn't fear anyone.

ill be totally honest and say i dont want to meet you lot in the final. not arsed if we meet you in the other rounds (presuming we get through of course).

and i assume your fans dont want roma.

ill be totally honest and say i dont want to meet you lot in the final. not arsed if we meet you in the other rounds (presuming we get through of course).

Be nice if all the teams are kept apart, then we can have all English Semi's. :D

Be nice if all the teams are kept apart, then we can have all English Semi's. :D

Not likely to happen :D .

There's a 40 % chance that one of us ( english sides ) will be drawn against the other in the quarters , but it would be nice if we could all meet in the semi's :D .

mate dont jump the gun you aint there yet :D

Not likely to happen :D .

There's a 40 % chance that one of us ( english sides ) will be drawn against the other in the quarters , but it would be nice if we could all meet in the semi's :D .

Bugger. :o

:D

What are the chances of the red card by Kuszczak being rescinded?He wasn't the last defender,Rooney was.

Don't reckon they will, but it's a good point. Looks like Fergie is in the <deleted> again though, for speaking the truth about referee's.

What are the chances of the red card by Kuszczak being rescinded?He wasn't the last defender,Rooney was.

Don't reckon they will, but it's a good point. Looks like Fergie is in the <deleted> again though, for speaking the truth about referee's.

I thought it was his assistant (can't remember his name) who was spouting off.

I thought it was his assistant (can't remember his name) who was spouting off.

He may well of as well, but Fetguson has made a few pretty tearse comments about the Ref, so think he could be digging into his pocket in the coming week or so.

no one posted the FA cup result???

I missed the game...and was hoping to read something from my fellow footie fans here :o

but no news???

awwwwww now Ill just have to read it off some website, without the personal touch from the real fans :D