Manchester United

redrus

Worth a read this.......!

Joe Lovejoy at St Mary's

The Guardian, Monday 31 January 2011

That the FA Cup has lost much of its magic is a given these days, for reasons that are all too obvious. There were 4,000 empty seats at St Mary's on Saturday for what was billed as the tie of the fourth round, proving that you can't fool all the people all the time.

Resurgent Southampton, a good bet for promotion from League One, were looking forward to testing themselves against the best team in the country with excited anticipation until it leaked out they would be playing the third-best team in Manchester. Sir Alex Ferguson said before the match that he would be sending "a strong side" – not his strongest, please note.

Fans are not fools and they picked up on the nuance: the reserves were coming. Paying good money to see the likes of Ferdinand, Vidic, Rooney and Berbatov was one thing, forking out the hard-earned for Smalling, Evans, Obertan and Gibson quite another, and the attendance was only marginally bigger than the 26,000 who witnessed Bournemouth's visit in October.

United are not the only culprits when it comes to devaluing the competition, far from it. There are so many examples it seems invidious to single out one or two, but what the hell. In the last round, when Cardiff City played Stoke City, both managers said they were more interested in their respective league positions. Tony Pulis rested 10 players, Dave Jones left out six of his best and the result was the worst match this reporter has endured in 40 years as a professional observer.

Mick McCarthy of Wolverhampton Wanderers and Blackpool's Ian Holloway have both been fined recently for fielding below-strength teams in the Premier League, why should the FA Cup be any different? Is the Football Association tacitly admitting what most of us have known all along – that the league they birthed, with its fabulous wealth, is the be-all-and-end-all in these increasingly venal times?

No doubt Ferguson will escape censure, as he always does, which gives rise to another question: it is the managers' obligation to speak to the press after matches, so that their thoughts and opinions can be disseminated to the public? How come Ferguson alone gets away with never doing so (any quotes attributed to him come via United's TV station), and how damaging to the game's image would it be were all his peers decided to follow suit?

Despite, or maybe because of, the league leaders' selection, the tie on Saturday was a good one. The team from the third tier were more than a match for their second-string opponents, and it was only the introduction of reinforcements, in the shape of Nani and Ryan Giggs, that turned an evenly-matched contest United's way.

In the first half the Saints played the better, more cohesive football, a credit to their young manager, Nigel Adkins, who established an impressive reputation at Scunthorpe and is busily adding to it on the south coast. Much has been said about 17-year-old Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, who has been dubbed the new Theo Walcott, but he was not a major influence here. Instead it was the Brazilian Guly Do Prado, formerly of Fiorentina, who caught the eye with a constructively energetic contribution in midfield. It was no more than Southampton deserved when Richard Chaplow drove firmly past United's debutant goalkeeper, Anders Lindegaard, just before half time.

Ferguson admitted that he had "meddled too much" in using a diamond formation in midfield, with Paul Scholes at its base and Michael Owen the apex, and he corrected things in the second half, with what amounted to 4-2-4 after the substitutions.

The cavalry saved the day. Owen equalised with an expertly-directed header from eight yards, then Giggs set up Javier Hernández for a real poacher's finish. The Mexican cleverly used his body to shield the ball from José Fonte, losing his balance but managing to prod home his 11th goal of the season via an upright.

So United won and, reserves or not, Ferguson will argue that the end justified the means. No doubt his walking wounded will all be back against Aston Villa tomorrow.

redrus

Great read mate i cannot understand why united do not get find for fielding a weakened team and it is just taking the piss playing the reserves and expecting the fans to pay top dollar,expect more the same against crawley.

When i look at Man City's squad i would love to know if the FA would have the <deleted> to fine them for fielding a "weakened" side. :whistling:

Joe Lovejoy at St Mary's

That the FA Cup has lost much of its magic is a given these days, for reasons that are all too obvious. There were 4,000 empty seats at St Mary's on Saturday for what was billed as the tie of the fourth round, proving that you can't fool all the people all the time.

Resurgent Southampton, a good bet for promotion from League One, were looking forward to testing themselves against the best team in the country with excited anticipation until it leaked out they would be playing the third-best team in Manchester. Sir Alex Ferguson said before the match that he would be sending "a strong side" – not his strongest, please note.

Fans are not fools and they picked up on the nuance: the reserves were coming. Paying good money to see the likes of Ferdinand, Vidic, Rooney and Berbatov was one thing, forking out the hard-earned for Smalling, Evans, Obertan and Gibson quite another, and the attendance was only marginally bigger than the 26,000 who witnessed Bournemouth's visit in October.

United are not the only culprits when it comes to devaluing the competition, far from it. There are so many examples it seems invidious to single out one or two, but what the hell. In the last round, when Cardiff City played Stoke City, both managers said they were more interested in their respective league positions. Tony Pulis rested 10 players, Dave Jones left out six of his best and the result was the worst match this reporter has endured in 40 years as a professional observer.

Mick McCarthy of Wolverhampton Wanderers and Blackpool's Ian Holloway have both been fined recently for fielding below-strength teams in the Premier League, why should the FA Cup be any different? Is the Football Association tacitly admitting what most of us have known all along – that the league they birthed, with its fabulous wealth, is the be-all-and-end-all in these increasingly venal times?

No doubt Ferguson will escape censure, as he always does, which gives rise to another question: it is the managers' obligation to speak to the press after matches, so that their thoughts and opinions can be disseminated to the public? How come Ferguson alone gets away with never doing so (any quotes attributed to him come via United's TV station), and how damaging to the game's image would it be were all his peers decided to follow suit?

Despite, or maybe because of, the league leaders' selection, the tie on Saturday was a good one. The team from the third tier were more than a match for their second-string opponents, and it was only the introduction of reinforcements, in the shape of Nani and Ryan Giggs, that turned an evenly-matched contest United's way.

In the first half the Saints played the better, more cohesive football, a credit to their young manager, Nigel Adkins, who established an impressive reputation at Scunthorpe and is busily adding to it on the south coast. Much has been said about 17-year-old Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, who has been dubbed the new Theo Walcott, but he was not a major influence here. Instead it was the Brazilian Guly Do Prado, formerly of Fiorentina, who caught the eye with a constructively energetic contribution in midfield. It was no more than Southampton deserved when Richard Chaplow drove firmly past United's debutant goalkeeper, Anders Lindegaard, just before half time.

Ferguson admitted that he had "meddled too much" in using a diamond formation in midfield, with Paul Scholes at its base and Michael Owen the apex, and he corrected things in the second half, with what amounted to 4-2-4 after the substitutions.

The cavalry saved the day. Owen equalised with an expertly-directed header from eight yards, then Giggs set up Javier Hernández for a real poacher's finish. The Mexican cleverly used his body to shield the ball from José Fonte, losing his balance but managing to prod home his 11th goal of the season via an upright.

So United won and, reserves or not, Ferguson will argue that the end justified the means. No doubt his walking wounded will all be back against Aston Villa tomorrow.

redrus

Great read mate i cannot understand why united do not get find for fielding a weakened team and it is just taking the piss playing the reserves and expecting the fans to pay top dollar,expect more the same against crawley.

When i look at Man City's squad i would love to know if the FA would have the <deleted> to fine them for fielding a "weakened" side. :whistling:

Nev, its the same old same old. Our weakened sides at least have some game time under their belt. Fans going to watch Crawly (with away to Marseille in the wings) and expecting a full strength first team are delusional. They are the same fans that say "Good job Fergie on beating Marseille away".

Fine us 25k if you want FA, a cost of doing business, giving the kids much needed experience and winning trophies. Long may it continue.

Edited by bkkjames

Joe Lovejoy at St Mary's

redrus

Nev, its the same old same old. Our weakened sides at least have some game time under their belt. Fans going to watch Crawly (with away to Marseille in the wings) and expecting a full strength first team are delusional. They are the same fans that say "Good job Fergie on beating Marseille away".

Fine us 25k if you want FA, a cost of doing business, giving the kids much needed experience and winning trophies. Long may it continue.

But you won't get fined will you because you are Man Utd. Rather like refs arn't allowed to award penalties against you at OT or send off Gary Neville.

Get with the programme Please mate. :rolleyes:

But you won't get fined will you because you are Man Utd. Rather like refs arn't allowed to award penalties against you at OT or send off Gary Neville.

If they fine us, we will just stop talking to the FA :unsure:

Please no gibson tonight he has had his chances he is just not good enough for united i do not like slagging off our players but he just is not good enough.

agreed, i kinda wished Arry would have bid 20 million for him by mistake as cover for his midfield. :unsure:

a bit long but a good read...

Ryan Giggs voted greatest ever Manchester United player

If there is one thing Manchester United haven't been short of in their extraordinary history, it's great players.

And in a special poll United fans have voted for Ryan Giggs as the club's greatest ever, beating legends like Eric Cantona, George Best and Sir Bobby Charlton.

Giggs has endeared himself to millions of United fans worldwide with his magnificent career, which has now lasted more than 20 years.

The Welshmen made his United debut in 1991, and in the two decades since he has helped the Reds to 11 league titles, four FA Cups and two European Cups.

THE TOP TEN

1) Ryan Giggs

2) Eric Cantona

3) George Best

4) Sir Bobby Charlton

5) Cristiano Ronaldo

6) Paul Scholes

7) David Beckham

8) Roy Keane

9) Peter Schmeichel

10) Wayne Rooney

His finest hour came in 1999, when he scored a stunning winner in an FA Cup semi-final replay against Arsenal at Villa Park, which gave United the impetus to go and win an unforgettable treble.

Despite all his achievements, Giggs admits he was surprised to top the poll.

He said: 'Obviously it’s all down to opinion and everyone is going to have a different view, but when I got told I genuinely couldn’t believe it to be honest, especially because there have been so many great players here. I’m not finished yet though – I feel great and I hope I can carry on for a while longer.'

'I honestly don’t know where the time has gone – and I’ve already had quite a bit of stick about it.

'There was an article in the paper about it being 20 years since my debut and they had some stats in there which the lads were killing me about – Rafa (da Silva) and Fabio were only about eight months old at the time, and (Arsenal’s) Jack Wilshere wasn’t even born!

'The time has gone very quickly – my twenties in particular seemed to fly by. Since turning 30, though, I’ve been able to enjoy and savour things a lot more. You’re more mature when you get to 30 and I think you experience things better.'

The longevity of his career at the top means Giggs will always be included in any British football hall of fame. From the moment he burst on to the scene as an exciting teenager, through to the current day, he has embodied all that remains good about the game.

There will certainly be United supporters, particularly those of a certain vintage, who insist the vote should have been won by one of their legends of the 1960s like Best or Charlton.

And there will surely be a few eyebrows raised at the omission of Duncan Edwards, who was considered by many to be the best player in the world before he tragically died at the age of 21 after being involved in the Munich air crash, and Denis Law, who is still thought of as the king of Old Trafford by a generation of fans.

But few would begrudge Giggs, BBC Sports Personality of the Year in 2009, picking up yet another award.

As he was given the award, Giggs reflected some more on the past, saying: 'I remember getting into the team at 17 and looking around at senior players like Brucey (Steve Bruce), Pally (Gary Pallister) and Incey (Paul Ince) and thinking, "How old are they?". And they weren’t that old at all! When you’re starting off, where I am now is a million miles away.

'To be honest, it doesn’t really feel like I’m 37; I have some great banter with the young players and still think of myself as just one of the lads.'

Asked to name his own personal top three, Giggs picked team-mates past and present. 'Paul Scholes first, Roy Keane second and Peter Schmeichel third,' he said. 'There have been some unbelievable players here down the years – Best, Law, Charlton; Duncan Edwards... so many.

'But I’ve gone for the ones I’ve played with, purely because I’ve seen what they did first hand and what they bring to the team.'

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson, who has been like a father figure for Giggs over the years, said he wasn't surprised by the results of the poll, which was voted on by readers of the club's official magazine, Inside United and website, ManUtd.com.

Ferguson said: 'Longevity always comes into play in these things, and Ryan’s been around for more time than any other player here. He recently appeared in his 600th league game, which is an exceptional achievement. That won’t be done again, not by one player at the same club.

'And then we can talk about his performances, which have been top class for 20 years. Even now, at the age of 37, he’s amazing.

It’s quite something to be named number one, isn’t it, considering the competition? When you look at the galaxy of stars that have been at this club, this is a huge honour for Ryan.

'There are some who would maybe put others ahead of him – players such as Denis Law, George Best or Eric Cantona – but nobody can argue he doesn’t deserve to be in that top bracket. Polls like these are so difficult, purely because Manchester United have had so many top footballers over the years.

'I get asked about Ryan all the time, and I always find myself talking about the same attributes – the way he’s looked after his physique, the way he constantly strives to better himself and the way he applies himself to make sure he succeeds. He’s a fantastic role model for young players.'

If there is one thing Manchester United haven't been short of in their extraordinary history, it's great players.

And in a special poll United fans have voted for Ryan Giggs as the club's greatest ever, beating legends like Eric Cantona, George Best and Sir Bobby Charlton.

Giggs has endeared himself to millions of United fans worldwide with his magnificent career, which has now lasted more than 20 years.

The Welshmen made his United debut in 1991, and in the two decades since he has helped the Reds to 11 league titles, four FA Cups and two European Cups.

THE TOP TEN

1) Ryan Giggs

2) Eric Cantona

3) George Best

4) Sir Bobby Charlton

5) Cristiano Ronaldo

6) Paul Scholes

7) David Beckham

8) Roy Keane

9) Peter Schmeichel

10) Wayne Rooney

His finest hour came in 1999, when he scored a stunning winner in an FA Cup semi-final replay against Arsenal at Villa Park, which gave United the impetus to go and win an unforgettable treble.

Despite all his achievements, Giggs admits he was surprised to top the poll.

He said: 'Obviously it's all down to opinion and everyone is going to have a different view, but when I got told I genuinely couldn't believe it to be honest, especially because there have been so many great players here. I'm not finished yet though I feel great and I hope I can carry on for a while longer.'

'I honestly don't know where the time has gone and I've already had quite a bit of stick about it.

'There was an article in the paper about it being 20 years since my debut and they had some stats in there which the lads were killing me about Rafa (da Silva) and Fabio were only about eight months old at the time, and (Arsenal's) Jack Wilshere wasn't even born!

'The time has gone very quickly my twenties in particular seemed to fly by. Since turning 30, though, I've been able to enjoy and savour things a lot more. You're more mature when you get to 30 and I think you experience things better.'

The longevity of his career at the top means Giggs will always be included in any British football hall of fame. From the moment he burst on to the scene as an exciting teenager, through to the current day, he has embodied all that remains good about the game.

There will certainly be United supporters, particularly those of a certain vintage, who insist the vote should have been won by one of their legends of the 1960s like Best or Charlton.

And there will surely be a few eyebrows raised at the omission of Duncan Edwards, who was considered by many to be the best player in the world before he tragically died at the age of 21 after being involved in the Munich air crash, and Denis Law, who is still thought of as the king of Old Trafford by a generation of fans.

But few would begrudge Giggs, BBC Sports Personality of the Year in 2009, picking up yet another award.

As he was given the award, Giggs reflected some more on the past, saying: 'I remember getting into the team at 17 and looking around at senior players like Brucey (Steve Bruce), Pally (Gary Pallister) and Incey (Paul Ince) and thinking, "How old are they?". And they weren't that old at all! When you're starting off, where I am now is a million miles away.

'To be honest, it doesn't really feel like I'm 37; I have some great banter with the young players and still think of myself as just one of the lads.'

Asked to name his own personal top three, Giggs picked team-mates past and present. 'Paul Scholes first, Roy Keane second and Peter Schmeichel third,' he said. 'There have been some unbelievable players here down the years Best, Law, Charlton; Duncan Edwards... so many.

'But I've gone for the ones I've played with, purely because I've seen what they did first hand and what they bring to the team.'

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson, who has been like a father figure for Giggs over the years, said he wasn't surprised by the results of the poll, which was voted on by readers of the club's official magazine, Inside United and website, ManUtd.com.

Ferguson said: 'Longevity always comes into play in these things, and Ryan's been around for more time than any other player here. He recently appeared in his 600th league game, which is an exceptional achievement. That won't be done again, not by one player at the same club.

'And then we can talk about his performances, which have been top class for 20 years. Even now, at the age of 37, he's amazing.

It's quite something to be named number one, isn't it, considering the competition? When you look at the galaxy of stars that have been at this club, this is a huge honour for Ryan.

'There are some who would maybe put others ahead of him players such as Denis Law, George Best or Eric Cantona but nobody can argue he doesn't deserve to be in that top bracket. Polls like these are so difficult, purely because Manchester United have had so many top footballers over the years.

'I get asked about Ryan all the time, and I always find myself talking about the same attributes the way he's looked after his physique, the way he constantly strives to better himself and the way he applies himself to make sure he succeeds. He's a fantastic role model for young players.'

37.gif37.gif37.gif

Edited by alfieconn

If ........................................... original deleted .................................

37.gif37.gif37.gif

I might agree with you had they posted it on someones else's thread, but it's a bit rich yawning about them celebrating their own greatest player on their own thread ain't it? We politely sit through all your monkey boy and dutchman self-adulation on your thread :rolleyes:

I think you could all do with getting with the programme really..

It's the Premier League that fine people for weakened Teams in the Premier League, not the FA in the FA Cup.

Edit : http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/b/blackpool/9378679.stm

Edited by MSingh

Jasus its slow on the news front today but, this headline got me...............

Anderson: Let me tell you that Nani isn't very good...

Author: Ben Moss sport.co.uk Posted on:31 January 2011 - 10:54

Manchester United midfielder Anderson has scoffed at Nani’s alleged ability to play the piano by claiming the Portuguese ace is “hopeless”.

The former Sporting Lisbon prodigy, who has been one of the Premier League leader’s best players thus far this season, had been credited as being a talented pianist, yet Anderson has suggested very much to the contrary when pressed on whether or not he had any hidden talents of his own.

When asked if he had any hobbies outside of football, like his teammates Nani (playing the piano) and Dimitar Berbatov (drawing), Anderson told Manchester United’s official website: “Let me tell you that Nani isn’t very good on the piano. He’s hopeless!

“I didn’t know about Berba’s drawing… My talents? I’m good at video games. Does that count?

Anderson explained: “It’s important to relax, so I spend a lot of time on my PlayStation. I play mainly football games, but I like shooting ones, too.

“I also play cards, watch films and spend time with my friends.”

redrus

Neville calls it a day

United stalwart and former England international hangs up boots

By Elliot Ball - Sky.com 2nd February 2011

Manchester United have confirmed defender Gary Neville has announced his retirement from football.

The former England right-back, who made over 600 appearances for the Red Devils, has hung up his boots with immediate effect.

Neville has not played for United since the New Year's Day victory over West Bromwich Albion, when he was fortunate not to be dismissed for a professional foul on Graham Dorrans.

It was the 35-year-old's 602nd appearance for the Red Devils - the only club he ever played for.

Neville, who is England's most decorated right back with 85 caps, said: "I have been a Manchester United fan all my life and fulfilled every dream I've ever had.

"Obviously I am disappointed that my playing days are at an end, however it comes to us all, and it's knowing when that time is and for me that time is now.

Privilege

"I have played in the most incredible football teams, playing with some of the best players in the world as well as against them and I have been lucky to be a part of the team's achievements and the club's great success.

"There are so many people I want to thank and of course top of that list is Sir Alex Ferguson.

"He has given me so many opportunities and countless support over the last 20 years, he is truly one of the greatest managers and I have to thank him for that.

"There have also been so many great players that I have had the privilege to train and play along side. The experiences we've shared will be with me for the rest of my life.

"Also all the coaches I have played under from youth level right through to now, who have guided me through my playing days. And finally, the fans, who have always shown me unbelievable support, they know how special they are to me and this club.

"I am looking forward to new experiences and the club will always be a part of my life going forward however the most important thing now is for the club to continue with the success that is synonymous with Manchester United and I will be supporting them all the way, as a fan."

Example

It will be interesting to see what direction Neville's life now takes after being touted as a potential coach at United - the defender was mentioned as a possible successor to reserve team boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who has returned to Norway to take charge at Molde.

And Ferguson waxed lyrical on the former Old Trafford stalwart, saying: "Gary was the best English right-back of his generation.

"He is an example to any young professional; hard-working, loyal and intelligent. As a United fan born and bred, his fantastic career at Old Trafford has cemented his place in the affection of the club's supporters everywhere.

"His impact on the club in general has been huge; his presence in the dressing room and leadership qualities have been an asset to me as a manager.

"All the young players who have sought his advice on many matters, particularly on contract issues owe him a great debt.

"As a young boy he had the will and determination to succeed as a footballer and that character remained with him throughout his career which is the legacy he leaves every young player at Manchester United."

Top top man and a top top player, glad he didn't let it go on too long. Well done Gary lad....! :wai:

redrus

/// OPEN AGAIN ///

I've always wanted to do that :D

You plonker Rodney.... How many palms have you had to grease just to become a mod, just to do that......! :rolleyes:

A lot Red. But it was worth every (tax free) Riyal :lol:

Congratulations Mr Bo. :jap:

Maybe now you will let someone elas win the Prediction League :whistling:

BT :D

/// OPEN AGAIN ///

I've always wanted to do that :D

You plonker Rodney.... How many palms have you had to grease just to become a mod, just to do that......! :rolleyes:

BT, let him have the competition, prob the only thing he has won in the last 35 years :unsure:

BT, let him have the competition, prob the only thing he has won in the last 35 years :unsure:

I won the heart of my Mrs, james. That's good enough for me ;)

:bah: What ever Trevor.....

Inbox me your TV e-mail address please mate, sent my preds to SockJar and, he told me to send em to you, moody cow..... :rolleyes::D

redrus

:bah: What ever Trevor.....

Inbox me your TV e-mail address please mate, sent my preds to SockJar and, he told me to send em to you, moody cow..... :rolleyes::D

redrus

I've just set up a thread for this week Red. Post them in that thread or pm them to me.

Found out at last. Had to happen sooner or later. Can't keep dragging results out of off par performances. What it is about playing away from home this season?

Surprised to see Berba taken off. Felt we could have kept him on and played with two up front and Rooney in a free role. Oh well. Time to start a new unbeaten record...

Found out at last. Had to happen sooner or later. Can't keep dragging results out of off par performances. What it is about playing away from home this season?

Surprised to see Berba taken off. Felt we could have kept him on and played with two up front and Rooney in a free role. Oh well. Time to start a new unbeaten record...

The cracks might be appearing Rix, but since wenger does'nt seem to think a defence is necessary, i'd say you just have a straight slugging match with Man City and Chelski, although Chelski might have left it a bit late to buy some silverware this season.

The cracks might be appearing Rix, but since wenger does'nt seem to think a defence is necessary, i'd say you just have a straight slugging match with Man City and Chelski, although Chelski might have left it a bit late to buy some silverware this season.

The cracks have been there from the start of the season mate. Just been doing a good job of papering over them.