Manchester United

redrus

Seriously though, the second tackle seemed a harsh yellow, especially as Palasios had thrown in like 5 similar tackles.

Agreed. Huddlestone made a meal of it. He clutched his face in agony but yet there seemed to be no contact with that part of his body - from the angle i saw anyway.

That was a yawner of a match - the usual 10 men behind the ball routine by the opposition.

Rooney playing alone up front didn't help. But got to hand it to SAF. Substituting Wayne at 60 mins (who looked a bit leggy). Wayne was obviously very pissed off. I can't help but think that this is part of the plan for the weekend. I think he will be full of piss and vinegar come City.

Carrick still looks lacking to me.

I really quite enjoyed the game and what atmosphere - they take their football following pretty seriously in that neck of the woods - I wished I could have watched it without the Thai commentary and just the stadium noise.

Well done "Scholesy" - you made amends for last weekend's indiscretion, take a break old son, we've enough talent to see off City this Sunday. :)

That was a yawner of a match - the usual 10 men behind the ball routine by the opposition.

Yes, watching the supporters was a bit more lively than watching the game!

Despite all our possession, esp in the first half, we never really looked like troubling their keeper. And as the second half progressed, a scoreless draw seemed quite likely.

Bringing off Rooney didn't seem like such a bad idea, esp with the big game at the weekend, but i must admit i was a bit surprised at the pairing of Berba and Owen. Neither of them are really that sharp right now and it just didn't seem like the sort of change that would crack through the defence. Have they ever even played together?

I must admit i'm a little disappointed as well that some of the young guys aren't getting more of a look in. Macheda was instrumental in us winning the Premier League last season. He surely deserves a bit more first team action. I'm worried that he'll be another Rossi. So much promise but unable to fight into the starting eleven.

Anyway, all's well that ends well, thanks to Scholesy! Three points in the bag, and we move on...

Yes, watching the supporters was a bit more lively than watching the game!

Despite all our possession, esp in the first half, we never really looked like troubling their keeper. And as the second half progressed, a scoreless draw seemed quite likely.

Bringing off Rooney didn't seem like such a bad idea, esp with the big game at the weekend, but i must admit i was a bit surprised at the pairing of Berba and Owen. Neither of them are really that sharp right now and it just didn't seem like the sort of change that would crack through the defence. Have they ever even played together?

I must admit i'm a little disappointed as well that some of the young guys aren't getting more of a look in. Macheda was instrumental in us winning the Premier League last season. He surely deserves a bit more first team action. I'm worried that he'll be another Rossi. So much promise but unable to fight into the starting eleven.

Anyway, all's well that ends well, thanks to Scholesy! Three points in the bag, and we move on...

I agree, alot of talk about Kiko and Welbeck but no sign of them at all. Guess that will change with the Carling Cup.

rooney was immense best player in the league by a mile.

oh yeah? :D

stevie we could start another thread debating who is but imho he is andfor england too.

i am sure you would put torres or gerrard forward but i rate rooney better,and i would just like to addhe hasscored5 league goals already equaling tevez's total for all last season. :):D

rooney was immense best player in the league by a mile.

oh yeah? :D

stevie we could start another thread debating who is but imho he is andfor england too.

i am sure you would put torres or gerrard forward but i rate rooney better,and i would just like to addhe hasscored5 league goals already equaling tevez's total for all last season. :):D

probably is worth another thread of its own nev, yeah. i think rooney's a superb player but i think, honestly without bias, that gerrard is head and shoulders the best player in the league.

could make a genuine case that 4 of the best 5 players are english as well as it goes. partly a sign of the financial times like, but still.

back in sydney for a 3 month work stint so will be going to a bar in town to watch this game finishes at 12 30am go back sleep up 5 am for work will be worth it if we win! if we loose will be a hard day.

67 more days here and back thailand for 9 months!

i go for a 3-1 victory.

<deleted> was up with Ferdinand and Foster today?

That aside, an amazing game that will live in the memory forever more!

My heart is still racing!

Ferdinand really needs to get back to basics, SAF should just tell him do nothing but play straight passes and clearances.

Trying to spoon the ball over 2 players...ridiculous...

As for Foster...originally i put it down to nerves, but i'm starting to wonder maybe he's just not that good. It seems like he produces a goal costing blunder every few games. I think he should have done better on the Bellamy 2nd goal too, surely he got his angles wrong. I have no confidence in Foster, as soon as i saw Bellamy breaking i knew "this is a goal", it may as well have been an empty net.

Edited by dave111223

Still don't know why SAF keeps throwing Park out there when a much better option is Valencia that doesnt fall over when a strong wind blows.

I have to agree with you Rix, it was a truly eventful game and we were very lucky in the end to snatch the points.

There were some atrocious mistakes made, and some of our lads need a couple seesions with my old school coach of the '50's.

Rule No 1 : If in Doubt, Kick it Out

Rule No.2 : Keep It Simple Son.

...and talking about your heart still racing, I think my doctor is going to suggest I watch the seniors petanque in future.... :)

There was ugly scene's in manchester town centre last night!

Tevez and Lescott went for a drink together.

I remember,back in the 70's,there was a poll to produce the ugliest eleven in the First Division,as it was then.The Hibbert brothers used to figure prominently in most peoples estimation.Today? I reckon a centre back partnership of uglies Skrtl and Ferdinand would keep plenty of strikers curled up in terror in the dressing room.

Still don't know why SAF keeps throwing Park out there when a much better option is Valencia that doesnt fall over when a strong wind blows.

Park and Valencia offer very different skills. Park will close down the space quickly and help shut down the midfield. Valencia will put crosses into the box all day.

I think SAF strategy was to have Park run the legs out of the opposition in the first half, then send on Valencia, who is then able to put in a lot more balls because the opposition are tired and will not close down as quickly.

Nicely summed up Dave.

and for the record I think these quotes from today's "Telegraph' should be noted.

"Sir Alex Ferguson’s side had dominated for much of this absorbing game yet City, resilience personified and inspired by the outstanding trio of Given, Nigel de Jong and Bellamy, kept fighting back, kept equalising. As the team who live closest to United, City should really know about their neighbours’ most celebrated quality. United never give up. From Nou Camp ’99 to Old Trafford ’09, injury time is their time. '

and

"For all the clock-watching frenzy, the bitter truth for Hughes is that United deserved victory. After a summer of scepticism about how they would cope without Cristiano Ronaldo, the champions have responded with the attacking brilliance of Rooney, the ageless grace and guile of Giggs, the hungry running of Patrice Evra and some authoritative midfield displays from Darren Fletcher. And Owen’s threat from the bench. '

and finally

Hughes moaned about Owen’s coup de grâce arriving after the four minutes had elapsed, but the additional time is always a “minimum’’.

Edited by LeungKen

Nicely summed up Dave.

and for the record I think these quotes from today's "Telegraph' should be noted.

"Sir Alex Ferguson’s side had dominated for much of this absorbing game yet City, resilience personified and inspired by the outstanding trio of Given, Nigel de Jong and Bellamy, kept fighting back, kept equalising. As the team who live closest to United, City should really know about their neighbours’ most celebrated quality. United never give up. From Nou Camp ’99 to Old Trafford ’09, injury time is their time. '

and

"For all the clock-watching frenzy, the bitter truth for Hughes is that United deserved victory. After a summer of scepticism about how they would cope without Cristiano Ronaldo, the champions have responded with the attacking brilliance of Rooney, the ageless grace and guile of Giggs, the hungry running of Patrice Evra and some authoritative midfield displays from Darren Fletcher. And Owen’s threat from the bench. '

and finally

Hughes moaned about Owen’s coup de grâce arriving after the four minutes had elapsed, but the additional time is always a “minimum’’.

Actually, I thought we (united) had a pretty fraught 1st half. Certainly wouldn't have said united "dominated much of the game", but the 2nd half was definitely much more dominated by utd.

Bloody excellent match overall though!!

Only thing that bothered me was that Rooney seemed a bit out of sorts - he fudged a lot of passes and lost posession a lot more than usual. I think passing is definitely not his strong suit, but it bothers me that he seems to be trying too hard to add it to his game. Maybe he's missing the 'run at it' influence/energy of Ronaldo and Tevez and instead is starting to be influenced by Berbatov's 'casual-passing' style? Thing is, he doesn't look natural unless he's going at it 100mph with that fire he has.

It was good to see Anderson pulling some good passes out though, and managing to hold on to the ball. He's definitely improving. It seemed a lot of the ball was directed at/through him this game - maybe Fergie's showing his faith in his talent by putting the pressure on him, knowing that's the best way of 'steeling' naturally talented players for big games. Anderson's flaws up till now have seemed as much down to lack of confidence as much as anything else, so it bodes well for this season if we can see him mature into the boots of the legendary Scholesy. He's still dam_n young for a 'play maker', but it seems Fergie's confident he's got it in him.

Same goes for Fletcher, but a few years along. He's defintely responding well to his manager's confidence in him. What a game he had!!! Running into space AND closing the ball down AND scoring two beauties, in the box! Sterling stuff from the young scott! Maybe were gonna see something like a Robson/Keane central midfield governor development in him this year.... ?