Manchester United

redrus

You lot must be really paranoid if you think that everybody hates you on the TV football threads. I reckon you get treated with far more respect than you deserve :lol:

There are an enormous amount of haters out there (hence the term 'ABU' 'anyone but United') Santisuk, and please don't let us believe you are so naive as to think there are not. :whistling:

redrus

I think the days of the hate/jealousy of Man United are long gone to be honest..

The mid 90's it was rife, towards the late 90's with the Munchen Game in Barcelona, that hate turned to respect in my opinion with what you did, anyone who still hated Man United then was very naive & even silly..

Then Chelsea " happened " & the hatred rightfully shifts to them..

Nt saying everyone loved Mna United, but the hatred thing is a thing of the past for Teams outside of Liverpool & City for example.

That's my feeling after talkign to people ove rthe Years about Football anyway..

You lot must be really paranoid if you think that everybody hates you on the TV football threads. I reckon you get treated with far more respect than you deserve :lol:

SantiSuk i do believe that you enjoy Uniteds football and that your posts are to the point and factual,dont spoil it :P

All out of love

The not so beautiful game

Posted: e mail from Gavin to Sky 08th April 2011 21:02

As I sit down to write this blog a mere two and half hours before United's Champions League Quarter-Final clash I have realised that it has been close to two months since I last sat down to write about anything related to United.

What with Gary Neville retiring, our unbeaten league record ending, being robbed of at least a share of the points due to poor officiating at the Bridge, gifting Liverpool a win at Anfield, a FA Cup semi-final against City to look forward to, Wayne Rooney (at the time of writing looking to pick up a two match ban for swearing - something that almost every single other player does week in week out on camera without any action being taken) and a 'squeaky bum' end to the season approaching, there has certainly been no shortage of subjects I could have wrote about in this time.

However, the truth of the matter is I have realised that I am slowly falling out of love with football - and that is something I never thought would happen. Though it is perhaps fair to say that on the pitch the action has been as good as any other season in many games I have watched this season, either with or without United, it is the off-pitch state of the game that is leaving me feeling disenchanted with sport I have followed for most of my life.

If we start at the top with FIFA then we have an organisation that quite clearly does not have the interests of the sport at its heart. The recent World Cup shambles proves this, with the voting process being far less transparent than it should be and anyone with half a brain can guess why.

Allegations of corruption tainted the bid process and has meant FIFA lost any semblance of respect it may have had. The upcoming elections is a chance for FIFA to rebuild its reputation and for many football fans this is the best chance for a while to see Sepp Blatter ousted from the top position, ending a reign that has been anything less than glorious - at least in my eyes!

Incompetence

At national level our own FA has proven the long held view that it is not fit for purpose. The words 'p**s up' and 'brewery' spring to mind when I think of the FA and recent incidents involving United have shown this.

Sir Alex's touchline ban for speaking the truth about a referee, who for the second season in a row cost us at least a point at the Bridge, to the inability for not being able to issue retrospective punishments for horrendous tackles - stand up Jamie Carragher - at least you could unlike Nani, to them now threatening a two game ban to Rooney for swearing shows its incompetence to be reaching new levels.

Of course, Rooney should have been punished retrospectively for his elbow against McCarthy of Wigan and some might say he is getting his just desserts. However, when you hear that Chelsea's Didier Drogba was involved in an unsavoury incident with a fan at Stoke does it not strike anyone else but me as a little strange that one player is being punished for something that happens every single week on camera and another is getting away scot free?

When we also add into the mix exorbitant ticket prices to go watch a game live, players cheating to win free-kicks or penalties, trying to persuade the referee to book or send off players, players commanding high wages or they will leave the club they supposedly love, football managers being the only job where failure is rewarded with a large payoff on being sacked, our own Premier League stating it will not look at the reintroduction of terracing (obviously because they can charge fans more to sit down than stand up) and it is not difficult to see why I am so fed up with the state of the game.

I am fed up with clubs taking fans for granted. I am probably showing my age but when I was younger that was never the view taken by clubs and there was not such a great divide between them, the players and the fans. That personal touch has long since been lost and I am now close to reaching the stage my grandfather got to - where he would not watch the sport anymore.

The prospect of a record breaking 19th league title should have me on the edge of my nerves with so few games remaining I am as passionless as I have ever been. For this I hold those whose responsibility it is to guard the sport as culpable. They have let the sport get away with far too much for far too long and the damage I fear is irreparable.

RIP Football - 1974-2011.

redrus

Did you write this Mr Singh :D Sadly a lot is true but when you are still in love with your club and the feeling is still there then you carry on regardless....especially when everyone hates us and we are still on for another treble!

Not with Barcelona still in the CL you're not. They are on a different level to Manure and will maul you lot just as they did Shaktar.

Agreed but we are not in the semi's yet nor the final,if we did get there and meet Barca in a one off game anything can happen correct?

The point is as of today we ARE involved,sadly for you.....your lot are not!

SantiSuk i do believe that you enjoy Uniteds football and that your posts are to the point and factual,dont spoil it :P

I enjoyed it for 75% of the 3 hours you played at Upton Park this Year...:)

There are an enormous amount of haters out there (hence the term 'ABU' 'anyone but United') Santisuk, and please don't let us believe you are so naive as to think there are not. :whistling:

redrus

I think the days of the hate/jealousy of Man United are long gone to be honest..

The mid 90's it was rife, towards the late 90's with the Munchen Game in Barcelona, that hate turned to respect in my opinion with what you did, anyone who still hated Man United then was very naive & even silly..

Nt saying everyone loved Mna United, but the hatred thing is a thing of the past for Teams outside of Liverpool & City for example.

That's my feeling after talkign to people ove rthe Years about Football anyway..

Yes ageed,Humans other than the two teams you mentioned actually enjoy waching fantastic football....attacking football....always wanting to win football......Mmmmm i wonder what we will see tonight? :D

Are you watching the game?

redrus

Agree with that 100%. No way is it like it now. Although i reckon Utd fans still like to think otherwise. ;) What i have noticed is that Utd fans are getting more and more smug though.......if that were possible. :)

Regards Chelsea, i'd say our loathing/rivalry of Chelsea is right up there with that of Arsenal. That said, i some ways it is greater, but not for the right reasons. Lets face it, they are such an easy club/team to dislike. I know Chelsea players see us as their big derby aswell, being as Ancelotti asked that very question when he first sat down and addressed the team.

Edited by carmine

redrus

Yes ageed,Humans other than the two teams you mentioned actually enjoy waching fantastic football....attacking football....always wanting to win football......Mmmmm i wonder what we will see tonight? :D

Are you watching the game?

I will be, i'll be cheering on the Team in Red & hoping if the really ugly Bloke up front scores, he smiles..:)

redrus

Agree with that 100%. No way is it like it now. Although i reckon Utd fans still like to think otherwise. ;) What i have noticed is that Utd fans are getting more and more smug though.......if that were possible. :)

Regards Chelsea, i'd say our loathing/rivalry of Chelsea is right up there with that of Arsenal. That said, i some ways it is greater, but not for the right reasons. Lets face it, they are such an easy club/team to dislike. I know Chelsea players see us as their big derby aswell, being as Ancelotti asked that very question when he first sat down and addressed the team.

You're gonna think i'm taking the p*ss here but i'm not..

In the late 90's me & my Pal decided against a trip to Goodison as we always got tonked there & had a couple of better Away Games coming up so we went & took the Poonani down Romford Market instead..

We got wind that T*ttingham were 3-0 up against Man United at HT, both looked at each & virtually said simualtaneously " They'll still win it "..

They did, 5-3..

& we lost 6-0 at Goodison !! :D

Moral of the story was we couldn't wait to see MOTD that night & how they done it, they were so great to watch then that we knew that they'd come back and win an Away Game in teh Prem after being down 3-0 at HT, they were fabulous to watch then & impossible to hate really, as they were so much entertainment & that's what it's all about..

redrus

Agree with that 100%. No way is it like it now. Although i reckon Utd fans still like to think otherwise. ;)What i have noticed is that Utd fans are getting more and more smug though.......if that were possible. :)

Thats just me mate "smug" :D

Nah, not smug, the smug ones are the ones that fill OT every f-in week to the sound of silence. The normal ones still treat every game as a big game and want to win every game the difference is that, over the last 20 odd years, our percentage is a bit better than most. ;)

redrus

You're gonna think i'm taking the p*ss here but i'm not..

In the late 90's me & my Pal decided against a trip to Goodison as we always got tonked there & had a couple of better Away Games coming up so we went & took the Poonani down Romford Market instead..

We got wind that T*ttingham were 3-0 up against Man United at HT, both looked at each & virtually said simualtaneously " They'll still win it "..

They did, 5-3..

& we lost 6-0 at Goodison !! :D

Moral of the story was we couldn't wait to see MOTD that night & how they done it, they were so great to watch then that we knew that they'd come back and win an Away Game in teh Prem after being down 3-0 at HT, they were fabulous to watch then & impossible to hate really, as they were so much entertainment & that's what it's all about..

Yws singhy back then we where a great team to watch indeed,this season we have not set the world alight and nowhere as good as the team you mentioned but we have put ourselves in a excellent position in 3 compertitions,and even now i am not confident of winning just one of them.

But one thing for sure about united is they go out 100% to try and win the games we play can be like a rollercoaster at times.

Yws singhy back then we where a great team to watch indeed,this season we have not set the world alight and nowhere as good as the team you mentioned but we have put ourselves in a excellent position in 3 compertitions,and even now i am not confident of winning just one of them.

But one thing for sure about united is they go out 100% to try and win the games we play can be like a rollercoaster at times.

Maybe lacking a bit of quality Nev compared to that Team but the mentality is still there..

See Blackpool & West Ham off the top of my head, being 2-0 down & getting the 3 Points, see not losing a Home Game all Season so far etc etc..

I shall be raising myself from deep slumber in the middle of the night too. Hoping Man U win, cos they have the much better chance of taking the cup with their amazing DNA of success. Hoping it all becomes too much for you in the process as well so that Arsenal sneak under the radar somehow. There go those flying pigs again.

I shall be raising myself from deep slumber in the middle of the night too. Hoping Man U win, cos they have the much better chance of taking the cup with their amazing DNA of success. Hoping it all becomes too much for you in the process as well so that Arsenal sneak under the radar somehow. There go those flying pigs again.

They can have as much DNA as they want, the only chance of Man United winning the CL this Year is if Madrid beat Barca in the Semi's, which over 2 Legs i just can't see..

They can have as much DNA as they want, the only chance of Man United winning the CL this Year is if Madrid beat Barca in the Semi's, which over 2 Legs i just can't see..

Singer do you have to spoil Santi's dream,he was honest enough to mention flying pigs :D

Anything can happen in the semi's and Final a bit of luck a bad decision a sending off.....anything..Barca are good but they are not unbeatable.Just look at what Inter did ;)

Singer do you have to spoil Santi's dream,he was honest enough to mention flying pigs :D

Anything can happen in the semi's and Final a bit of luck a bad decision a sending off.....anything..Barca are good but they are not unbeatable.Just look at what Inter did ;)

You've got to get through Chelsea anyway yet so let's talk again in the morning..;)

Probably the performance of the year from all United players.You could marvel about Parks unbelievable energy,Rooney, calm and controlled,Giggs playing a central midfield role and laying on killer passes, is there anything he can't do? Chelsea appear to be in total disarray. The body language is not healthy. Torres spends more time arguing with the ref in incidents he is not even involved in and if at the start of the season you had the offer of 6 million quid Hernandes or 50 million quid Torres who would most people take? Big thank you to Carlos for leaving Dogba on the bench. Hey but in the euphoria United still haven't won anything.Just another brick in the wall :jap:

You've got to get through Chelsea anyway yet so let's talk again in the morning..;)

Wonderful performance by every player but Park and Carrick were outstanding,also big shout for VDS.

Thought Chelsea played well for parts of the game but our defence was solid and the pace down the wings again was fantastic.

Hope Ferdinand came through it ok for saturday?

What was Droghba doing on the bench in place of a player ith no goalsand no confidence?? maybe the chairman picks the team or the manager was making a point to him.Malouda was in fact the best player for Chelsea.

^I like the Hernandez Torres comparison :P

The atmosphere in the ground was fantastic and the rentboys played their part too,semi's here we come.....are we away first?

Wonderful performance by every player but Park and Carrick were outstanding,also big shout for VDS.

Thought Chelsea played well for parts of the game but our defence was solid and the pace down the wings again was fantastic.

Hope Ferdinand came through it ok for saturday?

What was Droghba doing on the bench in place of a player ith no goalsand no confidence?? maybe the chairman picks the team or the manager was making a point to him.Malouda was in fact the best player for Chelsea.

^I like the Hernandez Torres comparison :P

The atmosphere in the ground was fantastic and the rentboys played their part too,semi's here we come.....are we away first?

Yes away first leg.

Fantastic performance from united and chelsea had a real go too making for a brilliant game of football.

Park Carrick Oshea all had great games that is united the lesser players can step up at the right time.

rooney was brilliant back to his best and was willing that shot at the end to go in.

Every one are talking about shalke in the semi but do not write inter off just yet.

Agreed Nev about Peter Kay i was a bit concerned when he got that booking tho,he did well in the end though because Malouda was outstanding and a real threat every time they give him the ball....but Sheasy stood tall and never dived in which is a big credit to him.

I think Shalke will be their for us but not bothered about who we meet! unlike many think here,anything can happen now it is just great to be involved and we are playing some good football again and will give ANY TEAM problems with our pace and organisation.

FA CUP next :whistling:

Agreed Nev about Peter Kay i was a bit concerned when he got that booking tho,he did well in the end though because Malouda was outstanding and a real threat every time they give him the ball....but Sheasy stood tall and never dived in which is a big credit to him.

I think Shalke will be their for us but not bothered about who we meet! unlike many think here,anything can happen now it is just great to be involved and we are playing some good football again and will give ANY TEAM problems with our pace and organisation.

FA CUP next :whistling:

Yes roll on saturday!!

Not really looked but i read on another site in the bundesliga shalke have lost more than they have won and only scored 11 goals away all season,so there 5 against inter must of been a one off,i fancy us if we face them.

Yes not to clever in Bundesliga but some god performances in Europe they have got a terrible disiplinary record to in the Champions league.

The manager Ralf Rangnik has only just been at the club a month and it seems is a good coach/tactically who is well respected in the game,he seems to be turning them around and they plat the same game as United...counter attacking style Raul,Huntelaar,Edu amongst some travelled names.Oh and a good goalie!! ;)

Good club that are on the up "IF" they get past Inter it will be a hard Semi but as you say Nev happy that we are away first,andi would fancy our chances of playing Real Madrid in the Final :jap:

You would think that the Schalke V Inter Game is done & dusted & i watch the Bundesliga & Schalke quite a lot & i can't see that over 2 Legs they'll beat you..

They do have some dangerous Players though, Farfan & Raul obviously who can score from anywhere, & the best GK on teh Planet currently too..

Have you seen the young kid at the back...... Matip? ;) be surprised if he stays there long.

Yep he's a good Player.

Very big too..

I think Schalke are alright actually & them German Kids don't seem to get their heads turned as quick as our one's so wouldn't necessarily see him leaving any time soon..

No european Football at all next Year though..

He'll have a good grounding there at Schalke, they're a good Club..

<P class=first>:D

Wayne Rooney has admitted he lost control when he swore into a live TV camera after scoring against West Ham at Upton Park, and that it was wrong. The Manchester United striker, 25, was banned for two matches by the Football Association and must sit out Saturday's FA Cup semi-final with Manchester City.

"I didn't realise what I'd done," he told talkSPORT. "It was just emotions."

Rooney also thinks his team-mate Ryan Giggs should be knighted, and laughed off a storm over a split with sponsors.

After helping United into the Champions League last four when a 3-1 aggregate victory over Chelsea was completed on Tuesday, Rooney - who previously indicated he felt victimised for the punishment - conceded his conduct in east London on 1 April was unacceptable.

"It was a release of scoring the three goals to get us back in the game," he said. "As soon as I realised after the game I apologised as soon as I could.

"Of course, it was wrong of me to do.

"But I accept my punishment and you just have to move on. Hopefully the boys can pull through for me on Saturday, and hopefully get to that FA Cup final."

Rooney - who was superb in the two European matches against Chelsea which fell either side of the Fulham league game he missed through suspension - also admits to being bewildered at the fuss created by a parting of the ways with former sponsors Coca-Cola.

Press speculation claimed he was dropped after the swearing incident, but England international Rooney says they ended their relationship last year.

"I spoke with Coke towards the end of last season about signing a new deal and, with the Olympics coming up, they wanted a bit more of my time to do more commercial appearances," he said.

"I just didn't have the time to do it.

"This all happened at the end of last season - so I haven't been with Coca-Cola since 2010, but it's only just come out now. It makes me laugh when people say I have been dropped by them."