Manchester United

redrus

What does the future hold at Old Trafford? For Wayne Rooney!

Footballfancast

Whilst Edinson Cavani and Robert Lewandowski have been at the centre of the media’s attention throughout the season and the summer break, with constant speculation over the futures of both strikers, a Premier League side story to add a twist in the tale has been the supposed availability ofManchester United’s Wayne Rooney.

Murmurings of discontent from the England man reportedly started after he was dropped for the Red Devils’ Champions League clash with Real Madrid, and since the tabloids have used any slight notion that Rooney may have become bored of life at Old Trafford to pepper the on-going transfer saga. Whilst some insisted it was merely wild speculation, Sir Alex Ferguson announced on the final day of the season, and indeed his managerial career, that the 27 year old had made a formal transfer request – his second in the space of just three seasons.

But throughout, the red tops have failed to successfully link Rooney to any European or Premier League club – you know the British press are clutching at straws when they begin speculating a surprise move to Barcelona for the Three Lions international, as reported by The Sun yesterday. Similarly, since Ferguson’s departure from the United dug-out, the club have seeked to deny the Scot’s claims regarding Rooney’s intentions to leave Manchester.

It begs the question as to whether Rooney will be moving anywhere this summer. He is expected to have showdown talks with David Moyes when he returns from his summer holidays, but how many options are actually open to the United forward? Can any of them actually benefit his career:

But the lack of interest from Europe’s superpowers is understandable; Rooney’s particular skills set only makes sense within the realms of the Premier League. In La Liga for example, the United man’s technical ability comes up short in comparison to his Spanish counter-parts, with a few too many simply passes going array, and a few too many opportunities to find the net not hitting the target, whilst his dogged determination, his knack of covering for his right-back when required, or clearing off the line whilst the Red Devils are defending set pieces, would be equally as unappreciated.Until the farcical Barcelona rumour printed this morning, the media’s only foreign option appeared to be PSG, simply due to their vast finance rather than any particular statement or trend to lead them to such a speculative conclusion.

Therefore, it seems that if Rooney is still determined to spend the remainder of his career away from Old Trafford, it will have to be with another Premier League club. Whilst Manchester City remains undoubtedly out of the question due to the unbelievable controversy it would cause amongst both sets of fans, the two remaining candidates are Arsenal and Chelsea. Both can afford the 27 year old’s £25million price-tag, and both can assure him with relative confidence regular qualification for Champions League football.

But chances of a move to the Emirates have undoubtedly been scuppered by the Gonzalo Higuain deal. The Argentine forward will most likely be Arsene Wenger’s only compromising excessive purchase this summer, whilst even if the transfer currently being negotiated fell through, you’d imagine Rooney would not enjoy the reputation of being the Gunners’ sloppy seconds.

Similarly, although next season represents a huge opportunity for the North Londoners to make up serious ground in the title race, following almost a decade of stagnation, joining Arsenal would be a considerable step down for the United striker. The Gunners are amid an eight year trophy drought, and have made it past the quarter finals of the Champions League just twice throughout Wenger’s tenure. If Rooney wishes to end his career in style, in terms of accolades and silverware, the Emirates remains an unlikely option, especially considering he will have to take a sizable pay-cut from his £300k per week wages including bonuses.

Jose Mourinho has perhaps been more open than other managers regarding Rooney’s transfer situation. During the his inaugural press conference upon returning to Stamford Bridge, the Portuguese told reporters; “I think he [Rooney] is at a fantastic age for a player: maturity, big experience, still young. It’s up to him and what he wants, what makes him happy.” It’s hardly a declaration of interest, and if anything an attempt to ruffle some feathers amongst the new management at Old Trafford, but a move to West London does seem feasible.

The Blues are in need of a regular goal-scorer, with Fernando Torres yet to seriously affect the domestic scoring charts since his £50million move from Liverpool, whilst Romelu Lukaku remains an unknown quantity in a Chelsea jersey, and Demba Ba looks set to become a victim of the change in regime at Stamford Bridge. Jose Mourinho’s personality and credentials appear capable of attracting almost any European standard player, and unlike the Gunners, Chelsea’s chances of domestic and continental silverware have drastically improved since the Portuguese’s arrival.

But would the Blues boss have a particular ‘special’ function for the 27 year old? If his grounds for leaving Manchester behind him lay in his need to play a starring role, he will unlikely be considered with considerably greater importance in the Chelsea roster. The West Londoners already have their fair share of stars – Juan Mata, Eden Hazard, David Luiz and Oscar – and Mourinho would not be hesitant to drop Rooney when required to do so, or play him in midfield, which appears to be another issue for the England forward.

It seems that the avenues open to Rooney are extremely limited. Every potential move represents a step backwards, or at best sideways, but would life be so bad if he remained at Old Trafford? He and David Moyes are said to be on good terms despite their lawsuit court case in 2008, and the change in management gives the Red Devils player a chance to start a-fresh, as the relationship between himself and Ferguson had been fraying at the edges for some time.

Similarly, Rooney may no longer be United’s single star, following the arrival of Robin Van Persie, and further high-quality additions expected to be made this summer, but there is no doubt he is an integral cog in the first team at Old Trafford. His dual role at the tip of midfield whilst also supporting Van Persie in the final third is the most vital link in the United game plan, even if it is a task that often fails to grab the headlines. Rooney’s mixture of power, work-rate and technical ability make him the ideal candidate, and his departure would spell a need for a change in tact ahead of next season, suggesting Moyes will do his best to convince Rooney to stay, considering ‘stability’, ‘identity’ and ‘longevity’ have already become the soundbites of his appointment as Ferguson’s rightful successor.

It makes sense for both player and club to maintain the status quo, rather than search for ideal fantasies of the grass being greener on the other side. Although Rooney has his fair share of critics, including amongst the Old Trafford faithful, a strike rate of 197 goals in 400 competitive appearances for the Red Devils is undeniable, not to mention countless assists on the way, and this season, he has fitted the jigsaw perfectly at the creative hub of United’s midfield.

Similarly, for Rooney, it appears that no club can offer him what he greatly desires – Arsenal have already chosen their main man, whilst at Chelsea, Juan Mata and Eden Hazard will always rival his level of importance in the final third. His only options are to move to clubs of lesser stature, which would undoubtedly be a waste of his talent, considering he’s still putting in consistent, if less glamorous performances, for United.

For all the media hysteria, nonsense speculation and wild guesses regarding the England man’s future, it seems the best option will be to stay put at Old Trafford this summer, and for that matter, the remainder of his footballing career.

redrus

[edit; Mods, why is copying and pasting such a mare these days?]

Edited by redrus
  • Like 1

Looks like Barcelona's bid has been accepted....Wayne on the set of Benidorm season 6

attachicon.gifBNy_3doCYAAlfJy.jpg-large.jpeg

You'd think Wayne could afford a tastier do rag.

Nice piece of journalism sent in by Redrus. Certainly food for thought as to why Rooney might end up going nowhere. I still think staying would be a mistake for him in many ways. He ought to sit down with a good psychedelic and realize that change is good, even if it led to lower wages and a sojourn to a foreign country. He could trade in the do rag for a beret and start reading Malraux.

• Like 1

Thiago Alcantara demands release clause at Man United in case he doesn’t play enough

101greatgoals.com

It is fair to say, Thiago Alcantara simply wants to play football.

The Spain Under-21 star will reportedly leave Barcelona for Manchester United due to a release clause in his contract that came into play after Thiago failed to play the necessary minutes last season.

Today, Catalan paper Sport have revealed that Thiago has insisted on a similar release clause in his personal negotiations with Manchester United.

Thiago has taken note of how his great friend Giovani Dos Santos got on at Spurs, where he failed to play much, and is worried about a similar situation developing for him in the Premier League.

According to reports, Thiago has agreed a 140,000 euro-a-week deal with Manchester United over five seasons but has also insisted on a release clause worth a similar amount to his current one.

Manchester United were originally reticent to allow this as part of their negotiations, but according to Sport, relented to ensure Thiago will be a key player at Old Trafford, if he joins.

Therefore, Thiago Alcantara will be able to leave Manchester United next summer for around 20 million euros if he does not play enough minutes for David Moyes’ side.

This has apparently been assured by new Manchester United boss David Moyes and is pretty exceptional for a player signing for the Premier League champions.

A report of this nature, suggests the deal to Manchester United is done. But, fellow reports today claim Thiago could yet stay at Barcelona and that Bayern Munich are still interested.

Good footage and soundtrack below.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/thiago-alcantara-demands-release-clause-at-man-united-in-case-he-doesnt-play-enough-sport/?

redrus

Edited by redrus

I say good on the lad. There are too many players around who are more than happy to languish in the warmth of the subs bench. It's refreshing to see someone standing his ground who insists on playing. He's not hiding anything and if a club doesn't want to agree to that, he is happy not to sign for them.

I say good on the lad. There are too many players around who are more than happy to languish in the warmth of the subs bench. It's refreshing to see someone standing his ground who insists on playing. He's not hiding anything and if a club doesn't want to agree to that, he is happy not to sign for them.

I'm not sure I agree, if you've that much confidence in your ability, you shouldn't need this and, it'll take some of the fight and passion out of playing for your place in the team.

Also, I feel it could have a negative/knock on effect with the rest of the squad. Some kid arrives, on this contract, doesn't play too well, doesn't get in the team. So now, it gets to the business end of the season and, the manager feels now he 'has' to play him cos they'll have to sell him otherwise, which upsets the teams balance, just cos narky <deleted> couldn't be arsed to pull his weight in training......

Not convinced at all buddy.

redrus

• Like 1

I'm not sure I agree, if you've that much confidence in your ability, you shouldn't need this and, it'll take some of the fight and passion out of playing for your place in the team.

Also, I feel it could have a negative/knock on effect with the rest of the squad. Some kid arrives, on this contract, doesn't play too well, doesn't get in the team. So now, it gets to the business end of the season and, the manager feels now he 'has' to play him cos they'll have to sell him otherwise, which upsets the teams balance, just cos narky <deleted> couldn't be arsed to pull his weight in training......

There is that angle rus. I just feel he's a young lad who doesn't want to risk his career (both club and international) being hindered by a club who wants to use him as a squad player. He's merely saying, you want me, you play me, or don't buy me. At least he's not signing and taking the money, then whinging later on.

There is that angle rus. I just feel he's a young lad who doesn't want to risk his career (both club and international) being hindered by a club who wants to use him as a squad player. He's merely saying, you want me, you play me, or don't buy me. At least he's not signing and taking the money, then whinging later on.

I do see your point of view mate, I feel though that United usually don't have an issue with this situation. I'd like to think we buy players that are happy to play for the club, no matter what.

I don't think that our squad is as big as Barca's, it certainly does not have as many stars to keep happy, I know not everyone at your club is gonna be an Ole Gunnar but I honestly can't remember the last time we had a player that moaned about being on the bench a bit..?

I just think to bring a clause like this out in the open, is asking for trouble somewhere down the line. I think it possibly should have remained schtum, but then, is that another clause.. ;)

redrus

The fat bald ugly one....you know. biggrin.png

He can get to <deleted> for all I care, asking for a bloody apology. Dick..!!

He'll get my support, if he stays, as I support United, but my liking of him ended a long time ago.

redrus

• Like 1

Thing is mate he is trying to say that he didn't ask for a transfer request now which really is stirring the shit and if he thinks he is going to get us reds to believe him instead of Fergus then that is just stupid.

I will be glad to see the back of him to be honest and Arsenal are really pushing 25 million ...see ya!

You are both sooooo shallow tongue.png

And fickle !tongue.png

Actually we are both truthful and if a player has put TWO transfer requests in then he can get to <deleted>.

• Like 1

Rene Meulensteen has slinged his hook

Another English teacher on TV? Or just posting while pissed? smile.png javascript (smiley) void according to my pc.

punctilious...donnish ...priggish

Roberto I have never been described as either punctilious, donnish or priggish before, I just have this thing that people who make a living from teaching the English Language should be reasonably proficient at the English Language.

Half the players ca't read and write.....give the posters a break! :rolleyes:

I hope you're gonna edit that post to make it look like you can at least write mate..;-)

redrus

Half the players ca't read and write.....give the posters a break! rolleyes.gif

I hope you're gonna edit that post to make it look like you can at least write mate..;-)

redrus

I know where you live pal. wink.png

tongue.png

Hahahaha, me too.. :D

redrus

I see on the Beeb that Mike Phelan has declared his interest in 'one day' becoming an EPL manager. His stated desire to step down to the lower divisions to start seems to me, a non-insider, as a declaration that he is in play.

Could be running from a fate worse than proverbially watching haircuts (working for Mr Boring)?

Could be a nice pick-up for some Championship club. If he can manage temperamental to$$ers (SAF must have given him some practice), that is.

Apologies if this is old news - I looked back a couple of pages to see whether you Reds were already debating it.

Man Utd: Ryan Giggs & Phil Neville join coaching staff

Manchester United have named Ryan Giggs as player-coach with Phil Neville set to become their new first-team coach.

Giggs, who is 40 in November, and former player Neville are the latest additions to new manager David Moyes' backroom team at Old Trafford.

More to follow.

Phil Neville: Man Utd to name ex-player as first-team coach blink.png

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23177876

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Should this not be posted in the Man United in decline thread???

Phil Neville!!!cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It is a fact Jack that Ryan Giggs has won more honors on his own than City have as a club in there history cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif now that is worth laughing at isn't it? biggrin.png come to think of it maybe Phil Neville as probably won as much as a player as your club has in its history also!! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

It is a fact Jack that Ryan Giggs has won more honors on his own than City have as a club in there history cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif now that is worth laughing at isn't it? biggrin.png come to think of it maybe Phil Neville as probably won as much as a player as your club has in its history also!! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Sorry, mate.

If you are content with Ryan Giggs and Phil Neville as your first team coach, then who am I to cast aspirtions giggle.gif

All I can say, as a City fan, is that I am delighted that you have chosen such experienced and highly qualified coaches clap2.gif

• Like 1

Sorry, mate.

If you are content with Ryan Giggs and Phil Neville as your first team coach, then who am I to cast aspirtions giggle.gif

All I can say, as a City fan, is that I am delighted that you have chosen such experienced and highly qualified coaches clap2.gif

Hahaha!!

i am happy that you are happy Jack! oh who are city's coaches btw?