Bangkok Rama IX Bridge Accident: Hit-Run Driver Surrenders

webfact

Hit-run driver surrenders

JESSADA JANTARAK

THE NATION

30183582-01_big.jpg

AN 18-YEAR-OLD boy apologises yesterday to relatives of victims injured by the car he was driving in a hit-and-run accident last month. His victims were Good Samaritans who got out of their car to help others injured in an earlier crash on the Rama IX Bridge

BANGKOK: -- A teenager turned himself in to police yesterday to face charges over a hit-and-run accident that left two victims seriously injured.

The accident took place on the night of May 19 when the victims and two other friends got out of their car to help people injured in an earlier crash on the Rama IX Bridge.

The 18-year-old driver had not contacted police till a summons was issued to his grandmother, 81-year-old Hong Sae Lee, who owns the Mini Cooper he allegedly drove at the time of the crash. Recordings from security cameras revealed the licence plate number of the car.

Lee showed up at Thang Duan 1 Police Station yesterday with her grandson and his lawyer, Kerdphon Kaewkerd.

A cousin of one victim, 24-year-old Chotika Prasartsophon, was so enraged with the driver he grabbed the young man's neck. A fight broke out and police had to step in.

The driver underwent two hours of interrogation, and later lay prostrate before relatives of his victims to ask for an apology.

He later told media: "I am sorry. I had no intention to harm them. I was not drunk at the time of the accident."

Asked why he fled from the scene, the boy did not answer. His lawyer said the teenager was "shocked, tense and suicidal".

A police officer said the boy was charged with reckless driving causing injury and property damage to others, driving without a licence, fleeing the scene without helping victims, and failing to alert a police at a spot close to the scene. He will be sent to a juvenile centre.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-06

This is tragic that Thai authorities would treat this hit and run so inconsequentially. He is 18 and had no intention of admitting the crime.

That Mercedes into the crowded bus stop just died a typical Thai lack of follow. That was extra noteworthy since the driver got out briefly and cursed the crowd then drove off.

Why is he being sent to a juvenile center, the article states he is 18? Is 18 not considered legal age in Thailand?

If he was the son of a wealthy or politicially connected family there would be a different approach.

What's happening :

- With the 16 year old girl who hit the mini van and around 8 people killed

- The boy who cut a LAo girl in half with reckless driving

- The mercedes boy who has temper control problems and drove his car inot a crowd at a bus stop killing a couple of people.

I see no reason to assume that he is not wealthy. All indications, especially those of the BIB, indicate to me that he is otherwise he wouldn't be getting the "nice boy made a mistake" treatment and would currently be much less comfortable.

So what's next? Do we hear about this news any more or not? May be Just like the past Incidents this is gonna disappear in to the thin air too.

Nothing new in Thailand.....a lot of incidents that can be lined up just like this one. Feel pitty on these rich parent's kids.

So what's next? Do we hear about this news any more or not? May be Just like the past Incidents this is gonna disappear in to the thin air too.

Nothing new in Thailand.....a lot of incidents that can be lined up just like this one. Feel pitty on these rich parent's kids.

speaking of which, whatever happened with that teen girl?

IIt's not only wealth, but also status.... and not just of the accused, but also the victims. The 8 mini-van victims, the lao girls, sadly they were no more to Thai society than a few lines of ink and a moments outrage.

Without knowing more details, I can not see any benefit of sending this boy to prison. Prison will not make him a better person, in fact quite the opposite is likely. Juvenile will not be fun, and maybem, just maybe, the young man will grow up to be a useful member of society.

This is tragic that Thai authorities would treat this hit and run so inconsequentially. He is 18 and had no intention of admitting the crime.

That Mercedes into the crowded bus stop just died a typical Thai lack of follow. That was extra noteworthy since the driver got out briefly and cursed the crowd then drove off.

didnt the mercedes fella got sentenced?

I saw this on the news and if Chotika Prasartsophon is the lady in orange then the offender certainly got a few uppercuts into her before the police stepped in and grabbed Chotika Prasartsophon. It appears that the offender was then given a warm arm on the shoulder by a smiling police officer and lead into the police station. (there, there did that nasty lady hurt you, come inside and I will make you a warm chocolate.)

Who informed the family and the media that the defendant would be surrendering himself at location XX at a particular time? Surely it would not have been the police as they have a duty of care to the defendant whether they like him or not. That duty of care would extend to not allowing the defendant to simply walk through a crowd of angry family members and the media. These sorts of things in Thailand are conducted like a sideshow, a circus and I am sure all the Police go home at night and say to thier families, "Did you see me on T.V, didn't I look good in my uniform and display that Authority I think there is a promotion in this for me."

• Like 2

IIt's not only wealth, but also status.... and not just of the accused, but also the victims. The 8 mini-van victims, the lao girls, sadly they were no more to Thai society than a few lines of ink and a moments outrage.

Without knowing more details, I can not see any benefit of sending this boy to prison. Prison will not make him a better person, in fact quite the opposite is likely. Juvenile will not be fun, and maybem, just maybe, the young man will grow up to be a useful member of society.

So you are saying that people who conduct thier lives in society as this young guy has done should not be punished?

Prison might not make him a better person, but it will certainly make him think twice before acting in future, unless he is a terminal idiot. We are not talking term of his natural here. OTOH letting granny buy his way out will achieve very little, after all, it's not his money and she's got heaps (and maybe piles FAIK).

Why do you want to send an adult to a juvenile institution?

Every time I read these stories, I always think what would happen if an Isan farmer who drove into some hisos standing in front of Paragon shopping mall ,then did a runner. I suspect the outcome would be vastly different............cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

The prevalence of violence against traffic accident participants is on of the main reasons for extraordinary high incidences of hit and run. Most leave and then turn themselves in soon afterwards when the police can control the situation better. Some get scared and hide from fear / fall into denial.

Some no doubt imagine ' they will get away with it.'

This kid seems to fall into the scared beyond rational thought afterwards, catagory.

It would appear to be a follow on accident at an accident scene. Something where it usually is not, and couldn't be avoided in the few fractions of a second to read the scene and react. Negligence prior to the accident has not been shown, and should not be assumed. Followed by fear of being beaten to death at the scene. A shame all around.

Strong contrition has been shown publicly. I doubt prison will rehabilitate him, but some punishment is called for regardless.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

I saw this on the news and if Chotika Prasartsophon is the lady in orange then the offender certainly got a few uppercuts into her before the police stepped in and grabbed Chotika Prasartsophon. It appears that the offender was then given a warm arm on the shoulder by a smiling police officer and lead into the police station. (there, there did that nasty lady hurt you, come inside and I will make you a warm chocolate.)

Who informed the family and the media that the defendant would be surrendering himself at location XX at a particular time? Surely it would not have been the police as they have a duty of care to the defendant whether they like him or not. That duty of care would extend to not allowing the defendant to simply walk through a crowd of angry family members and the media. These sorts of things in Thailand are conducted like a sideshow, a circus and I am sure all the Police go home at night and say to thier families, "Did you see me on T.V, didn't I look good in my uniform and display that Authority I think there is a promotion in this for me."

It refers to Chotika as 'he' so if the reporting is correct it is not the woman in the orange.

The driver underwent two hours of interrogation, and later lay prostrate before relatives of his victims to ask for an apology.

Why is this turd asking for an apology, surely he is asking for forgiveness?

the standards of reporting in this country are shocking, is the Thai language press just as bad?

It refers to Chotika as 'he' so if the reporting is correct it is not the woman in the orange.

I am assured that Chotika is a woman's name - a katoey perhaps?

later lay prostrate before relatives of his victims to ask for an apology

It does make me seethe when somebody has done some driving c@ntery ( fortunately in this case with no fatalities ) and then grovels for forgiveness as if a bloody wai will make things better

If i were the victim's family in a similar situation and a loved one had died I'd sit there all serene and benevolent, wait for the cops to drop their guard and then go for the bastard.

• Like 1

The prevalence of violence against traffic accident participants is on of the main reasons for extraordinary high incidences of hit and run. Most leave and then turn themselves in soon afterwards when the police can control the situation better. Some get scared and hide from fear / fall into denial.

Some no doubt imagine ' they will get away with it.'

This kid seems to fall into the scared beyond rational thought afterwards, catagory.

It would appear to be a follow on accident at an accident scene. Something where it usually is not, and couldn't be avoided in the few fractions of a second to read the scene and react. Negligence prior to the accident has not been shown, and should not be assumed. Followed by fear of being beaten to death at the scene. A shame all around.

Strong contrition has been shown publicly. I doubt prison will rehabilitate him, but some punishment is called for regardless.

"fell into denial' - I knew an Egyptian did that. Running away also allows time for sobriety to set in, and in this case (it appears) for a birthday.

If self-preservation is such a strong driving (pun intended) force, perhaps they could double penalties for driver's who leave the scene. then they can think twice, or have twice as long to think.

• Like 1

Every time I read these stories, I always think what would happen if an Isan farmer who drove into some hisos standing in front of Paragon shopping mall ,then did a runner. I suspect the outcome would be vastly different............cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

At a guess I would say he/she would be hung, disembowed and quarted in a public square to send a very clear message to the peasant farmers that this sort of thing will not be tolerated unless it is done to thier own kind.

Why is he being sent to a juvenile center, the article states he is 18? Is 18 not considered legal age in Thailand?

If he was the son of a wealthy or politicially connected family there would be a different approach.

What's happening :

- With the 16 year old girl who hit the mini van and around 8 people killed

She has been charged with a number of driving offences and manslaughter charges and the final criminal verdict is due on 22 June at the Criminal Court. Civil suit verdicts were given last week but IDK the outcome. One of the 2 bangkok regular contributors was in the van and hospitalised. He is updating a thread, http://2bangkok.com/forum/showthread.php?3983-Minivan-accident-kills-9-Khun-Wisarut-injured&p=32519#post32519

- The boy who cut a LAo girl in half with reckless driving

From memory, reportedly the boys wealthy father paid around 300 000 baht compensation to the Laos girls mother. As compensation was paid no criminal suit was pursued - there being no public interest principle in Thai criminal law where the parties reach a financial settlement. Why he or the father was not charged with making a false report that the expensive sports car was stolen is perhaps obvious.

- The mercedes boy who has temper control problems and drove his car inot a crowd at a bus stop killing a couple of people.

This received a lot of coverage after the verdict in 09, a little surprised that you didn't see it. He was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment, his parents received a public rebuke from the judge regarding their parenting a huge loss of face for the mother given her profile, and the victims families received some financial compensation..... IDK the amount involved.

Of course he may have been released by now........

You can peruse some info on this last case on that other english paper that shall remain unnamed.

I am assured that Chotika is a woman's name - a katoey perhaps?

According to my wife it is a girls name and if you also google it appears to be female also.

i doubt if it was the defendant, his family or his legal team that notified the victims families that he would be arriving. I would say that it was the Police who notified the families and the media. Thai police just love being in the media. One day, one of this planned media gala events is going to backfire on the police. You will get a family member who will not be satified at just abusing or slapping the defendant for the cameras but the defendant will actually get gutted or shot.

This received a lot of coverage after the verdict in 09, a little surprised that you didn't see it. He was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment, his parents received a public rebuke from the judge regarding their parenting a huge loss of face for the mother given her profile, and the victims families received some financial compensation..... IDK the amount involved.

Of course he may have been released by now........

You can peruse some info on this last case on that other english paper that shall remain unnamed.

May have been released?

He was released without serving one day inside if i recall, I also recall him attacking a bus driver not long after this incident.

Negligence prior to the accident has not been shown, and should not be assumed.

I beg to differ with you sir. Are you suggesting that........

1/ The suspect simply FORGOT he didn't have a license to operate a motor vehicle? That in itself is criminal and negligent.

2/ Was charged with reckless driving which also is negligent.

3/ The suspect simply FORGOT he had an accident for 2 weeks....and his memory was refreshed after learning about the arrest warrant.

I'm sure he was just about to turn himself in soon.

Not only should the idiot be punished in a fashion that will help him learn responsibility for his actions, but whoever allowed him to drive should also be accountable because he didn't even have a license to drive.

But this is Thailand.....and sadly he will no doubt get that warm cup of hot chocolate from the nice policeman and the policemen will be stuffing some baht into their pockets.

and life goes on in the third world.

I agree with you. To be involved in an accident you must have been negligent. This is case law from NSW but also used in other states of Australia. (Vic Careless Driving) Yes I know Thailand is different.

The test for Negligent Driving was confirmed by His Honour Johnson J in the decision of Director of Public Prosecutions (NSW) v Yeo and Anor [2008] NSWSC 953 (which is extracted below). The offence or test for Negligent driving essentially being established:

….where it is proved beyond reasonable doubt that the accused person drove a motor vehicle in a manner involving a departure from the standard of care for other users of the road to be expected of the ordinary prudent driver in the circumstances.

Basically it says, if you are not paying all due care and attention then you are/were negligent in your driving.

The police have been reported as stating that this young idiot will be sent to a juvenile centre. Are we to assume that he was not given bail and that he will remain there until he appears in court to answer the charges brought against him? Or is it the case that the police are now dispensing justice?