How Much Does It Cost For Birth?

4evermaat

My gf is having baby in appx two months in Chumphon Town Hospital (gov't hospital, and the biggest one here in the town). Up until now everything has been free for her (she has basic medical coverage at all thai gov't hospitals), but she came up to me and said that it might cost 5,000 baht to have a natural birth. While she admitted that her first child was free, I think the gf was hinting with her pigeon English at making sure we got some type of good service. She just mentioned today she was speaking to someone nearby at market who had baby recently and they said they paid 4,000 baht or so. She did not ask if that included xx number of days stay at hospital. So my basic question are:

1a) Does it cost extra for a birth (this is our first, but her second child)? What is the fee breakdown and what does it include? This is a 100% natural birth. (we do not want to induce or unnecessary c-section)

1b) Is this bill over the table, or do I slide something extra to the doctor under the table?

2) If private rooms are available, should I take it?

I want to get an idea of what to expect. I'm ok with tiered service, and I'm willing to pay a little extra for some piece of mind. I think i may be over-reacting a bit about greasing palms, but do PM anything that can't be discussed here.

I have my name translated in thai. Is there anything else I should have on b-day.

Does she work? She should get 45 days salary maternity pay, that will help offset costs. If you go private it will cost you a bit, should be a low five figure sum. If you go to a government hospital they might/will try it on a bit. They might ask if you want a c-section the milisecond your wife runs into difficulties, which is 10-16k. All in all its not expensive to have a birth in Thailand, it can be if you don't know what's coming at you, but presumably your wife can help you not fall into the pitfalls.

Congratulations

I recommend you let your wife choose whether she wants to have a private room, or any other extras

By birthing in a government hospital there is little chance to end up with a big pill to pay

Whatever it ends up costing you financially is negligible compared to what she will have been through

Government hospitals are totally free, unless you want a private room (usually about 1000bht a night)

Government hospitals don't do C-section, unless they really need to.

I had one last year, total cost approx 3,500 inc 3 nights private room, blood tests for me (foreigner 250bht), optinal vitimin supplements for her at 50bht a month.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Thanks guys. It was about what I was thinking. I think private room for a day or two will be good. I was planning on getting a guesthouse nearby when the contractions were close enough also.

Private rooms come with a sofa-bed. A family member/partner is expected to stay in the room 24hrs/day so they are not left alone. Otherwise patients are expected to stay in the public ward where a nurse is always in the room. Forget the guest-house. Stay is normally 3 nights before release for a birth with no complications.

Edited by TommoPhysicist