What Books Are People Reading Now ?

Ron19

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I set off to try and buy a download of "Braken Fences" and But'n'Ben A-Go-Go", but couldn't find a respectable download site.

Braken Fences seemed to be available in Kindle version, but I don't have said apparatus.

Any recommendations?

I suppose I should spend more time reading and less time browsing, anyway....

SC

Speed Reading For Dummies by Richard Sutz with Peter Weverka

How have you found this? Does speed reading actually work?

I went to a speed reading course when I was a lowly student as I thought it would help me. I did the test and they gave me my money back and said I was already speed reading. I knew I was fast, but not so fast I couldn't get faster. Last Sunday afternoon, between lunch and tea, I read Wuthering Heights.

OK, firstly thank you Bookman for pointing me to this thread, I didn't know about it and have subscribed.

This afternoon I read Freakenomics - partly light entertainment but all facts. It's a good series.

Last week I read Why The West Rules - For Now by Ian Morris which was the best I've read for some time. Explains why Europe and US 'control' the world and how it's going to change (not in our lifetimes).

I rarely read fiction, when I do I can't resit the classics; My favourite book is Vanity Fare by William Thackery and I have read it at least once a year, every year since I was 13. It seems that every time I read it I pick up on some sly sarcasm or observation that I've missed previously. I have had 6 copies of the book over the years, and now it's all on the Kindle.

For a change, I've been reading Gerald Seymour. He wrote Harry's Game, most of the books are about British army/secret service and are a good way of passing time.

I'm not sure what the law is on lending ebooks, I have several thousand sitting on the virtual shelf.

OK, firstly thank you Bookman for pointing me to this thread, I didn't know about it and have subscribed.

This afternoon I read Freakenomics - partly light entertainment but all facts. It's a good series.

Last week I read Why The West Rules - For Now by Ian Morris which was the best I've read for some time. Explains why Europe and US 'control' the world and how it's going to change (not in our lifetimes).

I rarely read fiction, when I do I can't resit the classics; My favourite book is Vanity Fare by William Thackery and I have read it at least once a year, every year since I was 13. It seems that every time I read it I pick up on some sly sarcasm or observation that I've missed previously. I have had 6 copies of the book over the years, and now it's all on the Kindle.

For a change, I've been reading Gerald Seymour. He wrote Harry's Game, most of the books are about British army/secret service and are a good way of passing time.

I'm not sure what the law is on lending ebooks, I have several thousand sitting on the virtual shelf.

Steven Levitt followed up Freakenomics with Superfreakenomics. I have forgotten the content but it was a good read at the time.

There was a thread somewhere here about people wanting to lend/borrow ebooks from each other

The Morris book looks interesting. He takes a view that it is geographical forces that has led to the dominance of the West?

Steven Levitt followed up Freakenomics with Superfreakenomics. I have forgotten the content but it was a good read at the time.

There was a thread somewhere here about people wanting to lend/borrow ebooks from each other

The Morris book looks interesting. He takes a view that it is geographical forces that has led to the dominance of the West?

I read Superfreakenomics a couple of months ago, and it was a very good read. I'm going to have a look and see if there are any more; I think that my husband who doesn't read a great deal, but loves Jeremy Clarkson and Bill Bryson, could read this book without getting bored, as it is really entertaining.

Why the West Rules For Now is probably best described as a history book. A point that really sticks in my mind is that the author surmises that there are five horsemen of the apocalypse - migration, state failure, famine, disease, and climate change. Those things, usually a combination of them, is how we (as humanity) shaped the world. There's a graph near the front showing the ups and downs of our civilisation, when the west is down the east is up, and he gets stuck into the periods in a really good way. My husband would probably have got to page 2 or 3 then given up - it couldn't be called light reading (and it's not supposed to be).

Definitely worth the effort for anyone who goes beyond grumpy old men who can spin a good tale.

Do you folks think that books are a bit overpriced here in Thailand ? I am talking about the first-hand books sold at bookstores (I know that there are many places where one can get second-hand books at real low prices) like Asia Books and Kinokuniya. I mean, for example, books of medium-thickness (such as Thailand-themed novels written by foreigners here) are sold at around 450-500 baht at bookstores. Similar first-hand books sold at bookstores in my country, Turkey, would be the equivalent of about 300-350 baht; and Turkey in general has a higher cost of living than Thailand. So, I think that first-hand books sold at bookstores here in Thailand are a bit overpriced. Do you folks agree ?

Edited by JemJem

No. Not really. Most imported books are sold for the same price that they are marked at overseas. There are not as many discounts because most Thais read Thai books and not so many readers of English books as a Western country.

The ones published in Thailand by foreign writers are mostly a waste of money because they are usually so badly written, but there are exceptions.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I think UG has hit the nail right on the head. Prices aren't artificially high here, more like they are artificially low in most other countries.

The nail has also been well and truly whacked about the 'Thai' books written by foreigners. I very rarely bother with them. My husband seems happy enough with them, but we don't share the same interests. Otherwise he would also go through these books pointing out spelling and grammatical errors. One per household is probably enough giggle.gif

Do you folks think that books are a bit overpriced here in Thailand ? I am talking about the first-hand books sold at bookstores (I know that there are many places where one can get second-hand books at real low prices) like Asia Books and Kinokuniya. I mean, for example, books of medium-thickness (such as Thailand-themed novels written by foreigners here) are sold at around 450-500 baht at bookstores. Similar first-hand books sold at bookstores in my country, Turkey, would be the equivalent of about 300-350 baht; and Turkey in general has a higher cost of living than Thailand. So, I think that first-hand books sold at bookstores here in Thailand are a bit overpriced. Do you folks agree ?

I think that English-language books in Thailand are more expensive than in their home markets, but by much less than you would expect, given the small market. I'm lucky in KL because I have an excellent discount bookshop not too far away - typically I pay less than THB200 for a recent-release quality paperback, and they also run an excellent series of discount hardcover out-of-copyright classics, of which I would buy more if I had any hope of getting round to reading them.

SC

I think that English-language books in Thailand are more expensive than in their home markets, but by much less than you would expect, given the small market. I'm lucky in KL because I have an excellent discount bookshop not too far away - typically I pay less than THB200 for a recent-release quality paperback, and they also run an excellent series of discount hardcover out-of-copyright classics, of which I would buy more if I had any hope of getting round to reading them.

SC

Wow, that's a great bargain.

I still disagree with UG and Konini regarding the price of first-hand books here in Thailand; I still think mostly, they are a bit overpriced. Not TOO overpriced but just a bit, I mean :)

But, I agree with UG and Konini regarding their comments on Thailand-themed books written by foreigners here. Yeah, most of these books sort of suck :) By the way, I don't know if you remember the situation in the early or mid-nineties regarding the no. of these books but I can tell you that back then, there was only a handful of such books but nowadays (well, since a few years ago, I guess), if you go to any major bookstore, you'll see dozens of these books :) Not really surprising of course; the no. of foreigners settling down here has increased by a lot since early/mid 90's.

I imagine that with the market being so small here, English language books would have to be imported and with no local printing therefore only those books that the importer is confident will sell come in as they can't be easily returned, adding more to an undiscounted price while subtracting from the variety available. I suppose the great thing about kindles and the like is that we are able to get the books we want easier somewhere like Thailand. Not that it could ever replace the experience of reading a real book, but I read mainly non-fiction which can be difficult to obtain anywhere let alone Thailand. While I take the convenience of electronic books, I know that we are doing a disservice to future generations, as fewer authors will be able to make a livable income and the next Proust, Lawrence or Woolfe may spend their days working behind a counter instead of writing.

I imagine that with the market being so small here, English language books would have to be imported and with no local printing therefore only those books that the importer is confident will sell come in as they can't be easily returned, adding more to an undiscounted price while subtracting from the variety available. I suppose the great thing about kindles and the like is that we are able to get the books we want easier somewhere like Thailand. Not that it could ever replace the experience of reading a real book, but I read mainly non-fiction which can be difficult to obtain anywhere let alone Thailand. While I take the convenience of electronic books, I know that we are doing a disservice to future generations, as fewer authors will be able to make a livable income and the next Proust, Lawrence or Woolfe may spend their days working behind a counter instead of writing.

I think electronic distribution makes it much easier to publish unpopular books - just as digital recording facilitated self-published CDs.

SC

I'm reading '2001 a space odyssey' on my kindle. Out of all my electronic devices my basic kindle is my absolute no 1.

I used to think that there was nothing like reading 'real' books until I got my kindle.

The duel: Pakistan on the flight path of American power by Tariq Ali.

One of the best historic/political books I've ever read. Suggests that Washington has total control over Pakistan and has done since partition in 1947. Really fascinating and highly recommended to anyone interested in the politics of the sub-continent (my current obsession).

I have become interested in the extraordinary and growing popularity of the 'manosphere' in the internet e.g therationalemale and Chateau heartiste ( both sites are crude but intellectual). These are web pages that are expanded versions of the Pick-Up Artist websites.

They ask us to rethink female nature and place it in the changes of modern life.

Two books I've read as a consequence were a polemic by the brilliant writer H. L. Mencken: surely, his reputation proceeds him, and the female argentinian E. Vilar.

post-60541-13594608687551_thumb.jpg

Mencken's 'In defense of women' is superb in his writing style and fairly convincing in the engrossingly ironic way he sets out to show women are the better sex, and so men deserve help.

post-60541-13594611664963_thumb.jpg

By way of contrast, Vilar's 'Manipulated Man' goes too far. My jaw dropped several times at the level of disgust she has for her fellow women. And it's just too long.

I recommend them both. You can read them both in around 4 hours. They are free to download off the internet. The Mencken dates back to before the roaring twenties.

I have become interested in the extraordinary and growing popularity of the 'manosphere' in the internet e.g therationalemale and Chateau heartiste ( both sites are crude but intellectual). These are web pages that are expanded versions of the Pick-Up Artist websites.

They ask us to rethink female nature and place it in the changes of modern life.

Two books I've read as a consequence were a polemic by the brilliant writer H. L. Mencken: surely, his reputation proceeds him, and the female argentinian E. Vilar.

post-60541-13594608687551_thumb.jpg

Mencken's 'In defense of women' is superb in his writing style and fairly convincing in the engrossingly ironic way he sets out to show women are the better sex, and so men deserve help.

post-60541-13594611664963_thumb.jpg

By way of contrast, Vilar's 'Manipulated Man' goes too far. My jaw dropped several times at the level of disgust she has for her fellow women. And it's just too long.

I recommend them both. You can read them both in around 4 hours. They are free to download off the internet. The Mencken dates back to before the roaring twenties.

I think that the Bangkok Post is a real good paper and I buy it almost every day and read almost everything in there and so, I sadly have less time to read books.

I'm still reading the Nadal autobiography. I haven't enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the Agassi one but anyway, I hope to finish it in a few days' time.

I've got Dr Zhivago (Boris Pasternak) and The Tower of London (Soseki Natsume) open at the moment.

Dr Zhivago's got too many characters in it, and I'm wishing I'd been taking notes.

Soseki Natsume is apparently a very famous Japanese author who spent some time in London at the turn of the last century - about the same time as the setting of the start of Dr Zhivago. I've not really got into it yet, though; it was hard enough ploughing through the Introduction

SC

Watutsi recommended R J Ellory books as a good read. I agree, having just completed 'Saints of New York', which was about your dysfunctional NY cop with family and alcohol problems but who wins the day, (against the perps, at least). But not against his personal demons, I think.

I followed that with 'Rain Gods' by James Lee Burke - another writer that I hold in high esteem. This one was centered around Hackberry Holland, sheriff of a small South Texas town, and his dealings with the ungodly. I did get the slightly uneasy feeling that I'd read something with a similar theme, possibly by Tony Hillerman. I suppose with the limited number of themes available there's bound to be areas of crossover, but it can be weird sometimes - like an echo.

Now I'm about a third through Bernard Cornwell's '1356', which, set during the hundred years war, is about the quest to find the lost sword of St. Peter, a holy relic believed to imbue the wielder with incredible powers and the certainty of victory in battle. Bernard Cornwell is good at this sort of historical stuff because he's able to bring it to life. And who's to say whether what he writes is fact or imagination. A bit of both, I suppose. It does also point the finger at religion, the power and corruption of it at those times, all the way through the priesthood and up to the pope himself and all his manipulative, greedy and power hungry hangers on and cardinals. Not much appears to have changed there then!

Edited by richardjm65

• 2 weeks later...

I just read the ubiquitous Private Dancer, by Stephen Leather.

I feel dirty.

Mindless repetition, typos... main character is cripplingly stupid ...author uses "brought" when he means to say "bought" - twice.

Typo-wise it's nowhere near as bad as Leather's Bangkok Bob. Repetition-wise it's not as bad as Confessions, which he co-authored with that Olson guy spruiking an e-book a few posts back. In that respect, it's the pick of the litter (litter as in garbage).

Having read the other two books, I knew what I was in for. It's kind of a guilty pleasure to read Leather's Thai based stuff. Som nom na to me.

My take on Private Dancer is that it was boring and predictable. Might have worked if it was the first Thai-themed book I read, but it wasn't...

Was amused to read that Leather used to create various online forum names and recommend his own books to people, chat about them, give them good feedback on reviews etc. Have to give him points for self promotion

One of England's leading journalists, Nick Cohen, takes a different view of Stephen Leather namely that he is a bully and a huckster.Decide for yourself:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/nick-cohen/2013/02/the-leather-case/

Just finished "Wool Omnibus" books 1-5 by Hugh Howey and enjoyed it so much have just downloaded the follow-on books 6-8 in the series.

Never been one for science fiction, but this is based in the future and concentrates more on human traits and faults than science fiction.

Having a Kindle makes life so much easier and I have stumbled across authors that I wouldn't care less about if I was in a book shop.

Cheers.

I'm finally reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. I disagree with his point of view and think that he is arrogant, but it is still informative and thought provoking.

I'm an atheist and mostly agree with Dawkins. Having said that I have read all his stuff and seen numerous talks etc I also think he's arrogant - and generally annoying in a few ways. But any believer should read that book.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap