Suvarnabhumi Airport Eastern Runway Will Be Closed 60 Days For Maintenance

webfact

Eastern runway will be closed for maintenance at Suvarnabhumi

BANGKOK 7 June 2012 (NNT) - Suvarnahumi Airport will be temporarily closing down its eastern runway for a period of 60 days for maintenance. The runway will be resurfaced with asphalt to prolong its efficiency in withstanding the speed and weight of airplanes.

Airports of Thailand, or AOT, President Anirut Thanomkulabut said that the eastern runway has endured over 1.5 million airplanes in the past six years since the beginning of Suvarnabhumi Airport. And despite the best efforts by the airport technical staff in maintaining the integrity of the taxiway in the past, the surface has become slightly eroded.

About 1.6 kilometers of the eastern runway will be closed from June 11th-August 9th, 2012 while another section of 2 kilometers will remain in use. He added that the measure may produce minimal impact on the overall operations around the airport such as flight schedules and air traffic, but relevant organizations have already been made aware of the closure in order to adapt their operation.

President of the Airports of Thailand, or AOT, Somchai Sawasdipol explained in his statement that the resurfacing will increase the thickness of the runway by 10 centimeters. Also, during the maintenance period, only A320s and smaller planes are allowed to use the opposite end of the taxiway.

He further stated that coordination has been made with other airports in the country should any airplane needs an emergency landing. Other contingency plans have already been developed to make sure the airport's operation is being run without major hiccups.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-06-07 footer_n.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The timing is excellent - summer holidays in most European countries. They could easily have done this in the low season, but it looks like the repair was overdue and a threat by aviation safety to close the runway was imminent.

• Like 1

The timing is excellent - summer holidays in most European countries. They could easily have done this in the low season, but it looks like the repair was overdue and a threat by aviation safety to close the runway was imminent.

If summer in Europe then no need to come here whistling.gifcheesy.gifw00t.gif

President of the Airports of Thailand, or AOT, Somchai Sawasdipol explained in his statement that the resurfacing will increase the thickness of the runway by 10 centimeters.

So in other words,cracks in airport runways are repaired the same way as they repair the cracks in other roads.Just add a layer of asphalt and nobody sees the problem anymore.

They have a similar occurence on the new highway in Pattaya where the road is sinking and the just add some asphalt every now and then.I reckon the roadsurface at that point must be 90 cm thick by now

• Like 1

President of the Airports of Thailand, or AOT, Somchai Sawasdipol explained in his statement that the resurfacing will increase the thickness of the runway by 10 centimeters.

So in other words,cracks in airport runways are repaired the same way as they repair the cracks in other roads.Just add a layer of asphalt and nobody sees the problem anymore.

They have a similar occurence on the new highway in Pattaya where the road is sinking and the just add some asphalt every now and then.I reckon the roadsurface at that point must be 90 cm thick by now

Same as China, Looks good from far clap2.gifcheesy.gifgiggle.gif

Same as China, Looks good from far clap2.gifcheesy.gifgiggle.gif

Not confined to China and LOS.... supposedly "developed" countries like the UK have raods like the surface of the moon.... Roads in my area (Scottish Highlands) are a damned disgrace, and dangerous from neglect and poor patching.

When the guys have finished Swampy's east runway, send them up here ........ they can't do a worse job than our council's gadgies.

True though, it is bad timing... I fly in during July and leave on 8 August..... Mai pen rai!

• Like 1

Near 6 years, Sounds like the initial contractor for the runway skimped on materials and/or preparation, similar things happened to all contracts for this said airport, remember the taxi-ways ?? cracks everywhere. Air con, you name it, for the Thaksin flagship far too much rake off, as usual--Scanners come to mind--a six year disaster, what a shame, and what a farce. Why in the world didn't they build a new small airport for the Thai air force, and occupy all Don M. Too late now, it was all to do with that disease here called money/greed.

I believe that the normal life span of an airport runway is approximately 20 years. The need to repave (please no asphalt!) after such a short interval needs to be explained in more detail.

How much did that airport cost again?

The cost of the construction was probably a lot lower than the actual monies paid. Commissions and such matters probably amounted to the oft quoted rate at the time of some 35% of the total cost..

Thought this was the low season here in thailand

why the need to close the runway for 60 days heres a news snip re gatwick

Civil engineering firm VolkerFitzpatrick has won the multi–million pound contract to resurface Gatwick Airport’s 3.3km main runway.

Work is due to begin in March 2012, and will also include replacing the airfield lighting and improving the drainage system.

According to Gatwick, the project will involve resurfacing an area of 400,000sqm with approximately 65,000 tonnes of asphalt.

Meanwhile, around 1,900 runway and taxiway lights, fed by 530 kilometres of electrical cabling, will also be replaced.

The main runway at Gatwick is resurfaced every 11 years to make sure it is in the best possible condition, and with up to 53 aircraft taking off and landing on the runway every hour the upgrade works will take place during the night to ensure passenger flights are not disrupted.

David Wilson, head of airfield capital projects at Gatwick Airport, said: “With just seven working hours each night, we will remove and replace about 130 metres of runway at a time.

“The work will be planned and executed with military precision to ensure it is completed and inspected before the first flight is due to take off.

“I’m confident our team working in partnership with VolkerFitzpatrick, will rise to the challenge.”

I believe that the normal life span of an airport runway is approximately 20 years. The need to repave (please no asphalt!) after such a short interval needs to be explained in more detail.

whats wrong with asphalt

Some background from Wiki

Engineering Institute of Thailand investigations

The Engineering Institute of Thailand conducted investigations at the airport in late 2006 after signs of distress were spotted at several locations in Suvarnabhumi's taxiways and taxilanes. Rutting was found in five of the six taxilanes and one of the six taxiways. Plastic deformation of the asphalt wearing course was observed near the takeoff position of the runway. However, the investigators noted that plastic deformation at this location was a common phenomenon and only routine maintenance was required to repair the distress. Aside from this surface distortion, both runways were in good structural condition.

Further investigations found that taxilane and taxiway rutting was caused by separation of the asphalt binder from the aggregate surface due to prolonged water infiltration into the asphalt concrete base course, a phenomenon known as "stripping." The 23 cm thick base course is the top-most layer of the tarmac. Core samples indicated that the concrete base course material contained the correct job mix and aggregate gradation. Below the base course are the binder course, the wearing course, and the cement-treated base.

Detailed investigations found that water seepage was evident along the rims of the expansion joints in the cement-tested base, indicating that a large quantity of water was still trapped in the sand blanket (the bottom-most layer of the tarmac). It was found that water trapped in the sand blanket was fully confined with no connection to the pavement areas of the airport. A later investigation by the AoT identified several potential reasons for the trapped water in the sand blanket. The AoT's findings were disputed by several experts.

The Engineering Institute of Thailand sent a formal warning to AoT in November 2006 about the urgent need to drain water from beneath the tarmac, and the need for immediate action. "The AOT did nothing about the problem," Suebsak Promboon of the EIT noted. "The situation might not have become this bad if the water had been drained then."

In a public statement on 15 February 2007, the EIT again strongly recommended that trapped water should be drained out urgently to minimise the potential spread of cracks. Karun Chandrarangsu, president of the Engineering Institute of Thailand noted, "Suvarnabhumi is like a patient in a coma who continues to suffer from severe bleeding. Stopping the blood flow now is more urgent and important than debating what caused the injury."[18][19]

How about this

In January 2007, ruts were discovered in the runways at Suvarnabhumi.[19] The east runway was scheduled to close for repairs. Expert opinions have varied widely as to the root cause of the ruts.[16] Airport authorities and airline representatives maintained that the airport was still safe and resisted suggestions that the airport should be completely closed and all flights moved back to Don Muang.[20]

On 27 January 2007, however, the Department of Civil Aviation declined to renew the airport's safety certificate, which expired the previous day. The ICAO requires that international airports hold aerodrome safety certificates, but Suvarnabhumi will continue to operate because the ICAO requirement has yet to be adopted as part of Thai law.[21]

Yet again a Thai solution to an international law cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Near 6 years, Sounds like the initial contractor for the runway skimped on materials and/or preparation, similar things happened to all contracts for this said airport, remember the taxi-ways ?? cracks everywhere. Air con, you name it, for the Thaksin flagship far too much rake off, as usual--Scanners come to mind--a six year disaster, what a shame, and what a farce. Why in the world didn't they build a new small airport for the Thai air force, and occupy all Don M. Too late now, it was all to do with that disease here called money/greed.

Runway repaving as well as maintenance/repairs is common and the more the runway is used the more often it will be repaved. In this case, it is more about improvements since the airport is handling more capacity than it currently was built. But even so, repairs and maintenance has little to do with time but rather use. The more busy the runway the more repairs needed (just like a road, especially when it comes to travel by trucks & buses). Keep in mind BKK is not only one of the busiest airports in the world (16th in 2011 / 5th so far in 2012) but also only has 2 runways.

Edited by Nisa

A couple of weeks ago they told the airport is complete overloaded.

Now closing one runway isn't a problem??

Or maybe only the immigration was overloaded??

You been through immigration lately? Quickest I have ever seen.

Really?????? I just spoke to a friend (thai national) who arrived back in Swampy today.....45 minute wait at immigration, so if that's quick.......If it's like that now, just wait until all the european schools close and the waves of tourists roll in AND they close or reduce the flow on the runway.......... (Mind you, I'd hate to try to go thru Heathrow any time soon, with the Olympics and Paralympics on...)

When you build an airport on a swamp, eventually cracks will occur.

Really?????? I just spoke to a friend (thai national) who arrived back in Swampy today.....45 minute wait at immigration, so if that's quick.......If it's like that now, just wait until all the european schools close and the waves of tourists roll in AND they close or reduce the flow on the runway.......... (Mind you, I'd hate to try to go thru Heathrow any time soon, with the Olympics and Paralympics on...)

Good luck on that one.thumbsup.gif

Good luck on that one.thumbsup.gif

...... Fortunately, when I go back to BKK in JulyI'm by-passing LHR by flying out of Manchester.... Oh wait! Manchester airport ran out of fuel this week....Beat that, Swampy!! clap2.gif

I think your Thai friend is exaggerating (alot), unless he happened to arrive at incredibly busy time when coincidentally there were planes uncharacteristically filled with loads of other Thais returning to the country.

I have been through the airport numerous times as have many people I have spoken with this year and the one common theme is how much incredibly faster the lines are. Not only have they added numerous more officers but they have also stream lined the process to improve the time it takes somebody when they are at the booth.

And do you really think it is going to be worse during the lowest part of the season?