School Turns Away Third-Sex Trainees: Bangkok

webfact

SEXUAL DISCRIMINATION?

School turns away third-sex trainees

The Nation

30183734-01_big.jpg

Natee

BANGKOK: -- The Network of Sexual Identity is planning to take action against Suankularb Wittayalai School for not allowing university students of the third sex to do their teaching apprenticeships there.

"It's sexual discrimination," the network's coordinator Natee Teerarotchanapong said yesterday, before heading to the Central Administrative Court to file a complaint.

Earlier yesterday, he also showed up at the Education Ministry, demanding that Education Minister Suchart Tadathamrongvej explain his policy about third-sex students.

"Sexual discrimination is in violation of the Constitution," Natee said. The all-male Suankularb Wittayalai School yesterday defended its decision to not let third-sex students become trainee teachers.

"We want to prevent other students from imitating some behaviour," the school's director Cherdsak Suppasopon said.

He added that though he was not against people of the third sex, he could not accept them as trainee teachers because it was an all-male school.

"When I led a co-ed school, members of the third sex were welcome as teaching apprentices," Cherdsak said, adding that he was planning to inform all relevant universities of Suankularb Wittayalai School's policy to ensure that they send the right students for training.

Natee slammed the school for suggesting that it wanted to create only gentlemen, and was thus turning away teacher trainees of the third sex. He also criticised the school for failing to protect the dignity of third-sex students.

Meanwhile, the Suankularb Wittayalai School posted an apology on the Internet after third-sex students attacked it online.

"Suankularb Wittayalai should create gentle people, not gentle men," Natee said, adding that his network has spoken up after the school asked its students to stop talking to the media about the issue.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-08

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Ladyboy topic on TV that generated no replies.....that's a first.

Perhaps, if there was sexual innuendo and some ridicule it might spark more interest?

Good point, let's help it along......

I think it's a cunning plan by the Ladyboys to get first dibs on all those hunky guys at the college.

Cunning, very cunning.

"He added that though he was not against people of the third sex, he could not accept them as trainee teachers because it was an all-male school"

So are there female teachers at the school, or are all the teachers male??

The school I went to was an all boys school except for the 5 girls who attended the science class as the girls school did not have facilities as girls did not need to learn science. I cannot help now but think what brave girls.

To be fair to the Ladyboys, they are entitled to professional careers, I would imagine that many would be excellent teachers.

It's far better to give the third sex the chance to be positive role models in Thai society, and an act of cruelty to deny them a chance to live normal fulfilling lives.

+1
  • Like 1

To be fair to the Ladyboys, they are entitled to professional careers, I would imagine that many would be excellent teachers.

It's far better to give the third sex the chance to be positive role models in Thai society, and an act of cruelty to deny them a chance to live normal fulfilling lives.

But that applies to women too (the second sex?). Has no one protested about discrimination against them? Why is the school 'all male'?

Is the 'third sex' referred to as such in the constitution?

I think Natee may be misguided on this one.

If its a government school how can it run a single sex policy? Is it a government school?

Pesky things constitutions, giving rights to people and all that.

As long as there is an equivalent all female teacher's college, how can it be discriminatory? Many educators believe that sexually segregated colleges achieve better academic outcomes, there being less distraction in class.

If its a government school how can it run a single sex policy? Is it a government school?

As long as there is an equivalent all female teacher's college, how can it be discriminatory? Many educators believe that sexually segregated colleges achieve better academic outcomes, there being less distraction in class.

Yup, them Madrassas are awesome!

Yup, them Madrassas are awesome!

While I accept your reply was 'tongue-in-cheek', it completely ignores "As long as there is an equivalent all female teacher's college..."

Educating of women is not a muslim strong point.

As long as there is an equivalent school under the same "administration" I don't see an issue. Is there? As a government educational institution, I wouldn't like to hazard a guess that stand alone single sex schools are legal if challenged under the anti-discrimination law.

Back to the issue at hand, the "3rd" sex pupils can't change their sex by law in Thailand(I think I am correct) so I would imagine that the administrator may find it hard to find a leg to stand on. Males are males, aren't they? But then TIT......

So, Sexual discrimination is in violation of the Constitution?

What about racism? Discriminating farang? Is that ok?.

Joe, the Thai Constitution if for Thailand and Thai's ONLY. Get it?

No ;-)

The report of the same story in "the other newspaper" is rather different.

1. The teacher trainee is not described as katoey, but as gay.

2. The schools says the trainee "did not act appropriately or fit the role model of a gentleman". (And precisely what proportion of students could reasonably be described as gentlemen-to-be?)

3. It's suggested that "the intern had not behaved in a feminine manner at the school".

The school's director is quoted as saying "the school must avoid the risk of a teacher's behaviour being copied by students". But then, what about the gay and transsexual students? Aren't they going to suffer? They might end up straight from copying the massively macho role models of the teachers allowed to teach there, and that really wouldn't be fair.

This looks like nothing short of narrow-minded bigotry of the highest order.

• Like 2