TrueVisions To Broadcast UEFA Euro 2012 Despite Copyrights Issue: Report

webfact

TrueVisions to broadcast UEFA Euro 2012 despite copyrights issue: report

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Matichon Online reported that TrueVisions would relay UEFA Euro 2012 matches on its subscription TV although it was prohibited from doing so by the broadcast copyrights owner, GMM Grammy.

Matichon Online quoted a source as saying TrueVisions would relay broadcast signal from a TV station that got the license to broadcast the matches.

The source was quoted as saying TrueVisions decided to fight a court battle against GMM Grammy later.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-08

"TrueVisions would relay broadcast signal from a TV station that got the license to broadcast the matches."

If they are indeed relaying the broadcast from a TV station that has got the license to broadcast the matches then why the need to go to court?

"The source was quoted as saying TrueVisions decided to fight a court battle against GMM Grammy later."

This whole charade seems so unnecessarily ridiculous and served only to confuse viewers. The fact that it seems to only have been decided the day the Euros start make it even more of a sham.

Grammy has been able to sell a bunch of their boxes to people purely on the basis that they would't be able to watch the Euros on True... how about some compensation payout to customers?

"TrueVisions would relay broadcast signal from a TV station that got the license to broadcast the matches."

If they are indeed relaying the broadcast from a TV station that has got the license to broadcast the matches then why the need to go to court?

"The source was quoted as saying TrueVisions decided to fight a court battle against GMM Grammy later."

This whole charade seems so unnecessarily ridiculous and served only to confuse viewers. The fact that it seems to only have been decided the day the Euros start make it even more of a sham.

Grammy has been able to sell a bunch of their boxes to people purely on the basis that they would't be able to watch the Euros on True... how about some compensation payout to customers?

It True relay the signal the would be breaking the copyright.

As for a refund - dream on!

Why dream on?I bought the z-box because of the euro2012,if I knew I don't need z-box I was not gonna buy it,and I guess I'm not the only one,also I guess Thais bought the z-box too because of the euro2012,so we have to wait and see if GMM will go to court,if not GMM will have to pay compensation

Why dream on?I bought the z-box because of the euro2012,if I knew I don't need z-box I was not gonna buy it,and I guess I'm not the only one,also I guess Thais bought the z-box too because of the euro2012,so we have to wait and see if GMM will go to court,if not GMM will have to pay compensation

Why would GMM have to pay compensation?

They bought the rights to show EURO matches in Thailand

The sold the box to you in good faith

It is not their fault TRUE operate like our guy in dubuy

I'm afraid Jay is probably fairly accurate in his assessment!

I'm very glad I didn't buy a Zbox, but am quite sure 100s have like you, believing that was the only way to readily get the Euros... I personally know quite a few bars that did as the loss of revenue from not showing the games was too much to risk for them.

Personally I think both True and Grammy have acted like a couple of school children and we'd all be much better off if they were force-ably closed down, paving the way for a more customer service focused company to take over, who might actually show an interest in what their customers want to see, listen to complaints, have transparent pricing plans etc.

Dream on! TiT!

• Like 1

God I hate TRUE

IMO Their mission statement should be ..

"TRUE, bad products, high prices, we do what we want and give no customer service"

Lew...in my mind this is not True's fault it is Grammys for using True as a selling ploy for there boxes.

At the last minute True have said they will air the games and also maybe go to court to fight this!

Grammy seem to be the ones that have used the whole situation for there benefit....some folks cannot even get a reception after buying these boxes?

• Like 1

Why dream on?We have to wait and see if GMM takes true to courthouse,if not GMM will have to pay compensation.Many people including thais bought the box only because of the Euro 2012,NBTC should shut down True if they show even 1second of the Euro,GMM paid,True didnt pay for the rights to broadcast the Euro

Why would GMM have to pay compensation?

They bought the rights to show EURO matches in Thailand

The sold the box to you in good faith

It is not their fault TRUE operate like our guy in dubuy

Their advertising said"euro2012 exclusively on GMM with Z-box,Anyway i find it amazing what's going on here,if ABC buys the rights for the next football season.then i don't think CBS or any other station could show any games,but here is amazing Thailand

God I hate TRUE

"TRUE, bad products, high prices, we do what we want and give no customer service"

Lew...in my mind this is not True's fault it is Grammys for using True as a selling ploy for there boxes.

At the last minute True have said they will air the games and also maybe go to court to fight this!

Grammy seem to be the ones that have used the whole situation for there benefit....some folks cannot even get a reception after buying these boxes?

I think this is a good point. I personally hadn't even heard of Grammy / z box before this whole fiasco... what are they doing buying up rights to content without channels to air it on?

Leasing free to air channels to show content that you've paid for? Presumably they must make money from the advertising, so we'll have no half time comment, no manager/ players interviews, no pre-match build up. This will all become advertising space...

As I have insight information from working in the industry this is really not GMM's fault at all.

Even before they made their bid for the rights to broadcast Euro 2012 they sent an official letter to True Visions asking if they would be interested in a joint bid to share the cost with GMM. This letter was never answered!

GMM have bought the rights fair and square and now True are complaining! What a joke. GMM have even asked True for a content swapping deal (True could offer either Champions League or selected premier league matches for the next season in exchange for Euro rights). This offer was refused by True completely and they said that they were not gonna pay a single cent for the Euro to GMM. How does peple expect GMM to do business? They paid over 400 million baht for the rights and now True wants them for free, crazy IMO.

As final offer GMM told True that they could pay back GMM half of the cost of the license and True could broadcast all they wanted no problems. This was obvious declined as well.

God I hate TRUE

Grammy paid for the rights

Since they paid fr the rights, are they not allowed to do with them as they wish?

Not really Lew ...they have to follow the NBTC guidelines concerning blocking free to air channels in Thailand.

Lets be realistic here Grammy have bought the rights but from what i can gather they don't have a network set up to view it!!

They should of thought about this before ,i think they realized this down the line and True have just sat in the background and said nothing as not to inflame the situation.

Like i have said Grammy have also sold boxes and did not say what contracts where needed and also that you needed to readjust your dish to get the signal which would mean you would lose the True signal!

Very shoody outfit.

• Like 1

God I hate TRUE

Grammy paid for the rights

Since they paid fr the rights, are they not allowed to do with them as they wish?

Because Grammy are using national free to air channels to show it on a profit share agreement. They have no distribution. As much as I despise True, they knew this to be the case all along. True has an agreement with the national broadcasters, which probably says they HAVE to show the national broadcasters, so they knew that if Grammy was going to rent time on these channels there was a very very good chance they would get it for free anyway. Grammy is trying to sell set top boxes to get their own distribution, but that is piffling in amount in comparison to distributing it on say channel 3.

I would find it very strange if Grammy was able to dictate to 3,5 and 7 to whom and how they distribute their signals. 3,5 and 7 should have told Grammy the situation beforehand. I would imagine that True probably has the right to sue back to the national broadcasters for cutting their signals or modifying their programming.

• Like 1

This is too funny. Just a scam from start to finish, be interesting to see who the shareholders of GMM are.

They did exactly the same with the Rugby World Cup, loads of people rushed out to get Astro, then they announced 1 or 2 days before that every game would be shown live on True. I'll bet there were a few kickbacks from Malaysia during that fiasco. Which is why I have been saying for the last week or so that the Euros would end up on True.

And as MrRed said, they cannot block free to air channels, both True and GMM were told that in no uncertain terms by the NBTC

• Like 1

God I hate TRUE

Why it is the fault of GMM?Before GMM bought the rights they invited True to jump into the boat,but True did not want to.Now after many subscribers complain True want to broadcast the euro too,but without paying for the rights to broadcast,NBct should shut down True if they even show 1 minute of the Euro,also the Uefa won't be to amused if True shows the Euro without paying.I guess the deal between Uefa and GMM is,,GMM has the exclusive rights to show the Euro.

God I hate TRUE

Why it is the fault of GMM?Before GMM bought the rights they invited True to jump into the boat,but True did not want to.Now after many subscribers complain True want to broadcast the euro too,but without paying for the rights to broadcast,NBct should shut down True if they even show 1 minute of the Euro,also the Uefa won't be to amused if True shows the Euro without paying.I guess the deal between Uefa and GMM is,,GMM has the exclusive rights to show the Euro.

Yes through there OWN network which they haven't got!

Bad business strategy isn't it ...tell everyone that you have bought the rights and that they will not be able to see it unless they buy there box and then they would have to buy a dish or... re-position True's dish.

Again GMM obviously did not consult there lawyers very well did they,i don't think UEFA will be very happy either but at this late stage they will not care about it as the money is in there bank,all GMM could do is not send the link to anyone!

• Like 1

God I hate TRUE

I think True have simply played GMM, knowing full well that GMM had no platform (channel) to show the content on that True don't already have the right to broadcast.

In other words True knew that if GMM were going to bid, there was no point in True going in with them. UEFA won't care, they've been paid already by GMM.

Had GMM actually had their own channel to show the Euros on, there wouldn't be an issue and True would have had no right to dispute it (and I expect would have put in their own bid). As it is GMM have leased channels to air the Euros, but these are channels that True provides it's customers as a free service...

They are the free to air Thai terrestrial channels, so equally GMM have no right to prevent people watching them via standard terrestrial TV antennae. It just seems to be fairly naive business from GMM and shrewd dealings by True... although I'm sure GMM will make plenty from advertising anyway and reach a wider audience if the content does air on Truevisions.

• Like 1

God I hate TRUE

Yes through there OWN network which they haven't got!

Bad business strategy isn't it ...tell everyone that you have bought the rights and that they will not be able to see it unless they buy there box and then they would have to buy a dish or... re-position True's dish.

Again GMM obviously did not consult there lawyers very well did they,i don't think UEFA will be very happy either but at this late stage they will not care about it as the money is in there bank,all GMM could do is not send the link to anyone!

Don't give them ideas...!

Lol! i think there contract with UEFA will put pay to them doing that also there advertising revenue will have been received by now.

Smash and grab! was it worth it? i have read they paid 400 million baht somewhere? how many boxes would they have had to sell plus the advertising and kickbacks for it to have become a good springboard to a realistic competitor to True?