Bangkok Taxi Drivers Beat Down Camera-Wielding Commuter

webfact

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again, another story including taxi drivers.

I am positive if the authorities wanted to break down this mob rule they would be able to do it. How many more cases have to happen to make the authorities act upon them?

the worst taxi mafias are the ones in sukhumvit soi 11....Why do they go so un-noticed??

In many areas, like soi 11, the drivers have already paid "fines" in advance, in order to break the laws they break.

Soi 11 is a mess traffic wise and worse since two new condos open, it will only get worse once other condos are built in adjacent sois. It should be made a one way street to improve traffic flow but that is another issue...

If you are referring to why is it almost impossible to get a taxi after 11pm-12am in soi 11 the reason is simple. Drivers line up in a long line and wait for anyone who wishes to go to a nightclub where they get a commission for bringing customers.

As an example, at the cesspool that is Climax they reportedly get 200 baht and at Insomnia they get anywhere between 300 baht for 1 pax to 800baht for 4 pax. Other clubs also pay. If you are paying to go to these two sordid clubs then you are stupid - doubly stupid to Insomnia as you can get in for free but go in a taxi and you pay the entrance fee of, you guessed it 300 baht!. (In fact, drivers will probably offer you money to take you and friends to Insomnia). The established set up is so surreal that drivers sit outside the front of Insomnia offering to take people for free 100m to the rear entrance!

Now if taxi driver Somchai is paying 700 baht hire a night for an older taxi, or 1200 baht hire for a new one, the incentive to get 2-3 commissions a night is compulsive. Somchai can basically make what he needs to earn over a 12hr shift in 2-4 hrs with a few trips. I don't even try to get a taxi on soi 11 late at night anymore.

I had no idea about that setup...surreal indeed

Thanks, you learn something new every day. However, I don't believe at all it is a farang vs. Thai thing. If they don't want to go somewhere they just say no, regardless of nationality. It is why you almost always see a conversation occur before anyone gets in a Taxi.

This is very true Nisa. I certainly wasn't suggesting it was exclusively a non thai v thai issue, plenty of thai friends I know also have encountered similar problems. However, I would say that they don't generally encounter such problems as regularly or in the same extreme as the obvious non-thai does.

Like anywhere in the world, if you are perceived to come from elsewhere you can be taken for a ride (yes, pun intended!)

Thanks, you learn something new every day. However, I don't believe at all it is a farang vs. Thai thing. If they don't want to go somewhere they just say no, regardless of nationality. It is why you almost always see a conversation occur before anyone gets in a Taxi.

This is very true Nisa. I certainly wasn't suggesting it was exclusively a non thai v thai issue, plenty of thai friends I know also have encountered similar problems. However, I would say that they don't generally encounter such problems as regularly or in the same extreme as the obvious non-thai does.

Like anywhere in the world, if you are perceived to come from elsewhere you can be taken for a ride (yes, pun intended!)

You know it is funny because I just learned this law is actually common knowledge among Thais. I just told my wife thinking I would be telling her something she didn't know but she looked at me surprised because I didn't know. I told her I was surprised it was a law since it happens so much and she said, "Yes, this is Thailand"

Most drivers think they can get away with it when dealing with non-thais but if you display some knowledge of requirements in a firm and polite manner they usually comply. It is all about how you handle it. If not, as many have said, it is rare to be wanting for a taxi in this city.

This something I don't get worked up about. If a taxi driver doesn't want to take me on the meter, so be it, I move on to the next one. No need to make them comply. No need for a disagreement.

As an aside, I was once looking for a taxi from sukhumvit to Rangsit. I was on about my fifth taxi, all asking for a fare of 600thb+, I insisted on the meter, none would go. I eventually came across a guy who would not go by the meter, but said a fare of 300thb. I'd done the journey numerous times and knew it would be 360+. I went with him, happy in the knowledge i'd got myself a bargain.

There are very few places that a motorcycle taxi, the skytrain, or the subway, or tne public bus transportation can't get too.

I have made it a point not to deal with taxi drivers, and tuk tuk drivers.

The other thing to is to make friends with a cab driver near where you live or work for that matter. Get is mobile number and always use

him everytime. By doing so, you are far less likely to ever have any trouble.

I got lucky and met a Thai taxi driver who spent time in the U.S.A. working on oil rigs..Not only did he speak English, but he turned out to be

a great friend. I call this guy no matter where I am, if I need a taxi...

• Like 1

With the examples their great leaders have set them this is rapidly becoming thugland. The mob can get what it wants. Thugs can get away with violence. The police are pathetic and do nothing unless they can trouser some cash.

typed and transmitted from my hand held communication device

Hmmm 2 sides to every story....

Maybe the cabbie was getting off shift and could not take fare ??

then a scrum ensue's and his mates come to help him..... who knows??

If Mr do gooder just hail another cab instead of snapping pics all would be sabai....

If i was working and some stranger started taking pics of me without permission,

I would not think twice about giveing him a poke in the nose to get the pictures erased...

just me i guess...

I think the fact that most foreigners are flagging taxis around tourist areas will boost their odds of getting flakey drivers. Get away from Sukhumvit and Silom, and it a whole different world out there. But around these areas, there is better money to be made than just a simple, "Point A to Point B" fare.

I wonder what would be the tone of the average post in this thread if it was a westerner that had been beaten, especially if it had been a TV member reporting on their experience.

Something along the lines of if you don't like it go home and you must have asked for it, would be par for the course.

Sad really.

• Like 2

Had such a smooth experience with all my taxis in HCMC even though I hear that they have some really good scams going. For me though I was never refused a ride even if it was only amounting to the equivalent of 40 baht. Getting back to BKK and in 3 days I was refused 8 cabs when they realized that they weren't going to make more than 150 baht.

Had to go to the OZ embassy and 2 cab drivers wanted 800 baht to take me from there to the airport.

The next cab just brought me there on the meter with no qualms and picked himself up an extra 100 baht tip on top of the few which as about 240 baht. Don't usually tip that much but I was just happy that he wasn't being a prick about it. In any case the good cab drivers who don't put up a fuss and just drive with the meter always get a tip from me.

I have had that happen a few times, especially on longer distances (250 baht plus). I do understand if they dont want to end up in an area they are not familiar with, nor are certain to get a fare back to base.

Nothing to get excited about, or fight for you "right". It is just easier and better for the BP as well to take the next cab.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

I think the fact that most foreigners are flagging taxis around tourist areas will boost their odds of getting flakey drivers. Get away from Sukhumvit and Silom, and it a whole different world out there. But around these areas, there is better money to be made than just a simple, "Point A to Point B" fare.

No doubt many in these areas are looking for specific runs such as airport / Pattaya trips but I think it is also true in the non-tourist spots for Thais where many of the drivers want to stay local. If we want to go anywhere outside my area, I almost always have to walk down the Soi to the main road even though there are always numerous taxis outside our complex. This is partly why I was surprised this was a law because it just seemed like the normal thing here (well it is despite the law) ... never seen anybody get upset or be the least bit bothered. Just seemed as natural a choir as having to take a shower.

Here we go again, another story including taxi drivers.

I am positive if the authorities wanted to break down this mob rule they would be able to do it. How many more cases have to happen to make the authorities act upon them?

the worst taxi mafias are the ones in sukhumvit soi 11....Why do they go so un-noticed??

In many areas, like soi 11, the drivers have already paid "fines" in advance, in order to break the laws they break.

hah thats like that old gag about a guy going to confession and confess's sleeping with the next door neighbours wife.. priest tells him to say 5 Hail Mary's and put a fiver in the box.. says I've only got a ten pound note.. priest says put that in and go an do it one more time.

I wonder if the driver got a ticket who refused to pick up the passengers who turned out to be terrorists a few months back or if getting his car blown up was enough punishment.

nickjam wrote: "It seems pack mentality and cowardice are permitted here!" Permitted indeed! More like manadatory actually! It's the only way the spineless Thais know how to roll. They won't even consider fighting a farang one-to-one. But when they have two, three (or more) of their own kind to help it's open season...

'but no charges were brought against the other two drivers who assisted in the beating.' ?????????????????????

Is it written in Thai law that you are allowed to assist in beating someone up?!?! It seems pack mentality and cowardice are permitted here!

Thais hate to make others take responsibility for criminal activities. Bus drivers cause accidents, run out in to rice fields, never to be pursued. Politicians are proven corrupt, but are sent to an 'inactive post' with pay and pension intact. Political manipulator is found guilty of crime, then asks to go to Beijing to watch Olympics. No problem. Land of 'Mai Pen Rai.' You want to break the law, go ahead. The PT party will probably excuse your crime - particularly if you're one of their donors or supporters.

Or indeed an ethnic Thai or better yet a Sino-Thai. Or a Farang, despite the moaning of some of the latter... But don't try it if you're a Burmese migrant, a member of a hill tribe community of a Chin Haw - then you're finished. It's racism, pure and simple.

nickjam wrote: "It seems pack mentality and cowardice are permitted here!" Permitted indeed! More like manadatory actually! It's the only way the spineless Thais know how to roll. They won't even consider fighting a farang one-to-one. But when they have two, three (or more) of their own kind to help it's open season...

Your post defies logic based on this thread. It was a Thai on Thai fight and only one side (Taxi drivers) appeared to get involved. And it is just plain silly to be so naive to believe that anywhere you go in the world that outsiders picking a fight with a local will not often result in a good a@@ wooping by a number of locals be it at a home sports event or a local bar or any other common themed groups including locals vs. a non-native speaking foreigner where one member gets in a fight with the "outsider". Just accept you (we) are the outsider here and get used to it instead of finding ways to get worked up about it.

Edited by Nisa

it IS definitely against the law to refuse a fare...maybe there are some very limited circumstances when this is not true...i learned about this when i first came to Thailand...if i remember correctly, you are supposed to report it to the tourist police...though i have never bothered to do so...when i am refused service, and in the mood, i'll tell the taxi (in Thai) that i'm going to report him and take pictures of that plate djayz mentioned...sometimes this works and they acquiesce, other times they get really agressive and shout and try to get physical with me, and other times they get out of there as quickly as possible...as i said, i've never bothered to follow up on it, but given the angry reactions of most taxis and the fact that i once had a taxi driver return and threaten me with a 'gun' when i took photos, i'd have to believe there is some merit to this law.

We can all be part of the problem or part of the solution with taxis.

Personally I never take a rip off fare. If they don't want to do a metred fare, try the next one. When you get a metred fare, tip him well and thank him.

//Deleted!//

I've never had a driver suggest they were not going to use a meter when their light was on. The only time I do without the meter is on long trips and you actually make out a lot better this way than with the meter on. Personally, I have never been a victim of the "taxi mafia" here and still am extremely pleased with how easy it is to get a taxi and cheap it is to use them throughout Bangkok. Be nice if they spoke more English but I could say the same about the Taxi drivers in NY wink.png

This scene is why I never try to get a taxi that is parked anywhere. Those that sit outside of tourist venues, hotels, Skytrain stations or clubs will quote higher than normal fares and refuse to use the meter. I have much better luck when flagging down a moving taxi. At least they were non-discriminate in their attack of a Thai as we mostly read about these incidents when involving a farang.

• Like 1

it IS definitely against the law to refuse a fare...maybe there are some very limited circumstances when this is not true...i learned about this when i first came to Thailand...if i remember correctly, you are supposed to report it to the tourist police...though i have never bothered to do so...when i am refused service, and in the mood, i'll tell the taxi (in Thai) that i'm going to report him and take pictures of that plate djayz mentioned...sometimes this works and they acquiesce, other times they get really agressive and shout and try to get physical with me, and other times they get out of there as quickly as possible...as i said, i've never bothered to follow up on it, but given the angry reactions of most taxis and the fact that i once had a taxi driver return and threaten me with a 'gun' when i took photos, i'd have to believe there is some merit to this law.

Yea, with the thousands upon thousand of Taxis available in BKK, I would definitely leave it up to the locals to take pictures and trying to force somebody to take you somewhere they don't want to go. Personally, I try never to give my money or business to somebody who doesn't want it as it typically doesn't end up well on either side ... regardless if I am in the right.

• Like 1

If he doesn't want passengers then what is the driver doing outside in the taxi rank. Why doesn't he just go home and let the other drivers earn the money.

It's called cherry-picking. He doesn't want a short fare, and then to go back to the end of the queue, or have to cruise around looking for fares. He's looking for easy money, not necessarily well-earned.

"She works hard for the money..." Donna Summers, RIP.

Good that the guy escaped with relatively minor injuries and has got the main scumbag arrested. As other posters said all three men should face same charges.

I have a regular taxi driver he is late 50s local man, in my view get a middle-age driver here, if he has driven taxis for 30 years on Bangkok roads he's a survivor.

Depending on country I'm in I don't get into taxi without rape-alarm, pepper spray, push-dagger or similar depending on local laws. A decent sharp all-steel fountain pen will do if local laws are overly restrictive. I'm handicapped girl theres no way I'm getting in taxi unarmed, and I'm going home safely no matter what happens.

wink.png

Edited by Yunla

In Australia the Taxi's have live camera's keeping an eye on the passengers, maybe here they should have them keeping an eye on the drivers.

Hell no. Taxi drivers wouldn't like someone watching them doing something they weren't supposed to do.

When was the last time you have seen a Thai man assault someone alone? They are primarily cowards when it comes to a real physical battle. Get the friends involved and there is no risk. Just pure fun. The lack of an arrest is a travesty. Shame on the lightweight cops. They are nearly useless.