Anyone Have The New Sym Evo? A Review Please?

phl

Hi boys and girls.

I have been thinking about getting the SYM Evo 300 GTS, but have not heard anything about the bikes from the real people who actually have one.

Tried to search on the forum, many people want to get one, want to know prices etc but no one has posted their personal experience with the bike.

So anyhow, anyone who has one, could you do a little write up, and include things like fuel, ride itself, conform, steering, stability

I been told by the dealer in Pattaya, price 155 000 baht, but some have mentioned 138 000 baht, so also would be interested to know the actual price paid.

Also while at it, may be someone has the knowledge, but i like to get it on finance, i do have WP , my question is, should i apply for finance at the dealer or get one direct from the bank? i already have a car on loan, so have the contact person for the application.

What are the conditions and difference in dealer finance and bank finance when it comes to bikes? i do realize the rate, but what about things like paying it out faster, paying more per month etc

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

in this sentence, spelling mistake

So anyhow, anyone who has one, could you do a little write up, and include things like fuel, ride itself, conform, steering, stability

Should have said "comfort' :)

Know a guy in Pattaya who owns one but he is not on this board. He enjoys it, for the money it's not bad he states but he also caveats that statement with it's the biggest thing I can purchase here under 200k as a scooter. Rides nice but not much better than a PCX because the tires are so small and suspension is short, brakes are a little soft. Engine although 300cc is under-powered, it's not a performance engine and fuel economy is not that good either, if I remember correctly he said less than 25km/l. Fit and finish, looks pretty cool, cheap to repair body panels, limited styling add-on's of high quality. Resale value in Thailand, one of the worst so it's a decision that rest not on future resale value, Chinese bikes are just not that popular here yet. Gauges are okay and work well.

All in all, he told me he wouldn't change his mind because it is the cheapest and biggest motorbike he could find. He did of course state that he would purchase a T-Max in a minute if the bike was made in Thailand because the cost of purchasing a grey market one and then maintaining it with all parts imported is just not worth it to him.

Guess it depends on what you want the bike for in the end. Bigger bike, good for the open road especially a big scooter, small scooter, great for congested traffic. Bike bikes, well that is a whole other discussion.

Edited by commande

I was of the impression that Sym was Taiwanese and not Chinese.

Hence also more expensive then Chinese brands.

Seen a few in Pattaya and they look quite well made, no colorfading and uv caused desintegrating panels like on jrd and older tiger bikes...

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

Seen a few in Pattaya and they look quite well made, no colorfading and uv caused desintegrating panels like on jrd and older tiger bikes...

I have read that SYM makes bikes and parts for Honda and is regarded as one of the good brands out of Taiwan, but still like to hear from the ownersbiggrin.png

I have read that SYM makes bikes and parts for Honda and is regarded as one of the good brands out of Taiwan, but still like to hear from the ownersbiggrin.png

Yes my mistake, Taiwan and not China made bike - the bike does look pretty good. Give it a go and tell us what you think as an owner. Cheap at under 160k for the size of bike it is.

Yes my mistake, Taiwan and not China made bike - the bike does look pretty good. Give it a go and tell us what you think as an owner. Cheap at under 160k for the size of bike it is.

lol, funny man. if i had spare 160K, i would not be hesitating.tongue.png

lol, funny man. if i had spare 160K, i would not be hesitating.tongue.png

I know its none of my business but why not just buy a PCX? Its a great bike, the more I ride mine the more I like it. Can also get it serviced/spareparts all over Thailand, biggest MC brand in the world, quality stuff, easy to sell and so on.

Okay the SYM (what fuxking name is that anyway?? lol) looks nice on sym's web page but I haven't yet seen one in Pattaya. If it has double horse power of the pcx it could be fun.

They write carb/efi? So what is? Can't have both. Don't buy a carb. bike man, it was doomed obsolete in about 1995 and are tricky so adjust correctly if somebody takes it apart for cleaning (read Thai mechanics= disaster).

They write carb/efi? So what is? Can't have both. Don't buy a carb. bike man, it was doomed obsolete in about 1995 and are tricky so adjust correctly if somebody takes it apart for cleaning (read Thai mechanics= disaster).

i already have PCX and yes it is nice, however SYM is double the power and almost double the size.thumbsup.gif

but also almost double the price :(

The Sym is not a 300cc bike its 265cc. Personally I would stick with the pcx for a while. The next year or so will have more bigger bikes emerging in the thai market

sent from my Wellcom A90+

really? do you have any idea on brands and rough pricing? Personally i am not too fussed on the power as in Pattaya can not exactly race around, i am more into size of the bike.

Being 100kg, i prefer something little bigger, perhaps the size of tmax or sym. and has to be an automatic, because i am a big "girl" who can not ride clutchbiggrin.png

The Sym is not a 300cc bike its 265cc. Personally I would stick with the pcx for a while. The next year or so will have more bigger bikes emerging in the thai market

sent from my Wellcom A90+

really? do you have any idea on brands and rough pricing? Personally i am not too fussed on the power as in Pattaya can not exactly race around, i am more into size of the bike.

Being 100kg, i prefer something little bigger, perhaps the size of tmax or sym. and has to be an automatic, because i am a big "girl" who can not ride clutchbiggrin.png

Some say SYM may offer a slightly smaller version (249cc) of this scooter in future, to take advatage of the reduced taxes in the SE-Asia market. But of course i do not know if this will happen. But the price would surely go down if the bike would be imported with only 249cc.

Just for city riding the SYm is too big IMO. But i also consider the PCX as too big for this. I would not want to ride it through Bangkok traffic jams smile.png

pcx 150 has nearly the same horsepower with sym 300 or just two or three hps less if sym is only 17.2 hp!

so, hard to justify the price difference.

still, sym looks like a premium bigger bike sorry scooter over pcx.

If i were you, i go with pcx 150. good fuel economy and honda reliability.

pcx 150 has nearly the same horsepower with sym 300 or just two or three hps less if sym is only 17.2 hp!

I do not believe the horsepower statement of the SYM website for Thailand. Seems they confused hp with kw. TiT, so be careful with specifications declared on thai websites :)

SYM itself seems to be very cautious with power statements. But most websites around the world are declaring a much bigger power (around 23 hp). And most owners seem to be happy with power and torque.

But, OK we are in Thailand. Of course there is nothing better than a Honda ;)

Edited by wantan

I do not believe the horsepower statement of the SYM website for Thailand. Seems they confused hp with kw. TiT, so be carefule with specifications declared by manufacturers on thai websites smile.png

SYM itself seems to be very cautious with power statements. But most websites around the world are declaring a much bigger power (around 23 hp). And most owners seem to be happy with power and torque.

But, OK we are in Thailand. Of course there is nothing better than a Honda wink.png

It is not me to be careful, SYM needs to be careful man if they want to sell this bike more.wink.png

And, yes, it is 22 - 23 hp so it makes sense now for 140,000 thb and lots of goodies.

Still, pcx is half the price buddy.

Edited by loserlazer

I looked at the silver SYM they had in Mityon Pattaya Tai....and came to the conclusion it need a big sticker on the back - WIDE LOAD! Lots of storage space but it's hellishing big! sad.png

I was looking at the new PCX until I saw the SYM 300i but then I discovered the 400i for an extra 57K. It has 35bhp, linked braking, and is narrower than the 300i. The build quality is high and it looks superb.

I have researched the bike on the web and the overall ratings are very high. Although SYM is not well known here yet it is the biggest maker of scooters in the world and has an excellent reputation worldwide.

Nothing is ever going to knock the Thai's belief that Honda is make by God but that doesn't mean they are right. Look at their belief in Toyota!!!! One poster said resale values are the worst but I would be interested to know what evidence he has since there are so few Syms around as they have only just been introduced. I have seen 4-5 around Pattaya and spoken to a couple of owners. THey both said the same thing. The 300i is an awesome machine, no complaints whatsoever.

That said I am off to buy the 400i today. I will post a first impressions note next week.

I've sat on both Syms and I'll bet I can beat how out of both of them in a race through Pattaya traffic with my Nouvo Elegance. I'd squirt through spaces they couldn't' begin to get into.

but not everyone is looking to race, some people like myself just like to cruise around.wai.gif

I was looking at the new PCX until I saw the SYM 300i but then I discovered the 400i for an extra 57K. It has 35bhp, linked braking, and is narrower than the 300i. The build quality is high and it looks superb.

I have researched the bike on the web and the overall ratings are very high. Although SYM is not well known here yet it is the biggest maker of scooters in the world and has an excellent reputation worldwide.

Nothing is ever going to knock the Thai's belief that Honda is make by God but that doesn't mean they are right. Look at their belief in Toyota!!!! One poster said resale values are the worst but I would be interested to know what evidence he has since there are so few Syms around as they have only just been introduced. I have seen 4-5 around Pattaya and spoken to a couple of owners. THey both said the same thing. The 300i is an awesome machine, no complaints whatsoever.

That said I am off to buy the 400i today. I will post a first impressions note next week.

That would be great :)

How much were you quoted for 300 and how much for 400?

i was told around 150K for 300i, but some people have mentioned price of 138K

Also i am sure i already posed, but SYM makes parts for Honda, so Honda sometimes is SYM :)

I've sat on both Syms and I'll bet I can beat how out of both of them in a race through Pattaya traffic with my Nouvo Elegance. I'd squirt through spaces they couldn't' begin to get into.

This is why the SYM 300i and 400i are called "touring scooters". But maybe you want to go on a 10 days tour on your Elegance. Would be a comfortable ride you would never forget i guess :)